- Joined
- Apr 21, 2008
- Messages
- 200
Rep Bank
$280
$280
User Power: 8%
What is the best way to help a homeless person, assuming they actually want to help themselves?
My younger brother lost his job early this year and ended up losing his home as a result. Now, he’s on the verge of becoming homeless, as the home has already been sold to the bank.
What can I do to help? He’s a good kid and wants to do the right thing by finding another job. He asked me if he could work for my business, but I don’t have the workload.
While he says that he hasn’t been able to find a job, I find that a little hard to believe, even in this economy. At best, I’d say it’s possible that he might be setting his standards too high, but I also think that he just doesn’t “get itâ€, despite the fact that he is very intelligent. With exception to buying my dad’s business (which I bought), our parents didn’t do that great of a job teaching us how to be ready for the real world, leaving us to basically figure it out for ourselves. I got lucky, getting into the right crowd, whereas my brother was left alone.
In any case, his first priority is obviously to find a new roof over his head until he can find a job. While I do have a large enough home, I am strongly against keeping him here, because of how I saw his relationship deteriorate with our father, when they were under similar living conditions. Nor do I think that would really help him. I don’t want to have to stay on top of him to find a job and get into arguments about it. On the other hand, I suppose it’s possible that he could be useful to me in some way to earn his keep.
By default, I’m leaving him to fend for himself. I gave him some phone numbers for homeless shelters and job placement agencies. Given that, I think that’s all I’m really willing to do. Despite the circumstances of his life, he got himself into this situation, and now he’s going to have to get himself out. Maybe living in a homeless shelter for awhile will shock him into applying himself better.
Am I judging him too harshly? Is there anything else I can do to help? I don’t want you to tell me what to do, but rather shed some light on options that I’m unaware of, and/or share an unbiased perspective of the situation.
Thanks so much for your help.
My younger brother lost his job early this year and ended up losing his home as a result. Now, he’s on the verge of becoming homeless, as the home has already been sold to the bank.
What can I do to help? He’s a good kid and wants to do the right thing by finding another job. He asked me if he could work for my business, but I don’t have the workload.
While he says that he hasn’t been able to find a job, I find that a little hard to believe, even in this economy. At best, I’d say it’s possible that he might be setting his standards too high, but I also think that he just doesn’t “get itâ€, despite the fact that he is very intelligent. With exception to buying my dad’s business (which I bought), our parents didn’t do that great of a job teaching us how to be ready for the real world, leaving us to basically figure it out for ourselves. I got lucky, getting into the right crowd, whereas my brother was left alone.
In any case, his first priority is obviously to find a new roof over his head until he can find a job. While I do have a large enough home, I am strongly against keeping him here, because of how I saw his relationship deteriorate with our father, when they were under similar living conditions. Nor do I think that would really help him. I don’t want to have to stay on top of him to find a job and get into arguments about it. On the other hand, I suppose it’s possible that he could be useful to me in some way to earn his keep.
By default, I’m leaving him to fend for himself. I gave him some phone numbers for homeless shelters and job placement agencies. Given that, I think that’s all I’m really willing to do. Despite the circumstances of his life, he got himself into this situation, and now he’s going to have to get himself out. Maybe living in a homeless shelter for awhile will shock him into applying himself better.
Am I judging him too harshly? Is there anything else I can do to help? I don’t want you to tell me what to do, but rather shed some light on options that I’m unaware of, and/or share an unbiased perspective of the situation.
Thanks so much for your help.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
