The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Create Dental Software?

Idea threads

GetFreeWithAnnie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 8, 2022
i have been in the dental field for 15 years, and I have been working on a way to get free from it for around 7. I have read the millionaire fastlane and i just finished unscripted and yea.. MJ is the best. Anyways, I want to build a better dental software. I have a lot of specific ideas for exactly what it would do and the problems it would solve for dentists and patients. But I have zero knowledge of how to build software, or who i would even contact to help me, or where to start at all. Ive got a lot of notes for exactly what it would do, and problems it would solve and how it would solve them... but thats it. I don't know where to go or who to contact from here. I started googling "how to find a software developer".. and things like that. But if anyone on here could point me in a more specific direction. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
i have been in the dental field for 15 years, and I have been working on a way to get free from it for around 7. I have read the millionaire fastlane and i just finished unscripted and yea.. MJ is the best. Anyways, I want to build a better dental software. I have a lot of specific ideas for exactly what it would do and the problems it would solve for dentists and patients. But I have zero knowledge of how to build software, or who i would even contact to help me, or where to start at all. Ive got a lot of notes for exactly what it would do, and problems it would solve and how it would solve them... but thats it. I don't know where to go or who to contact from here. I started googling "how to find a software developer".. and things like that. But if anyone on here could point me in a more specific direction. Any help or advice is appreciated.

One of my best friends built some dental software from the ground up.

Additionally, my company builds software for various companies in a few different industries.

You're going to need something more specific than "just" a software developer, because you have HIPPA concerns.

I don't look for developers, because I work with one, so I'm not sure what you would want to search for. Expect to need a good sized budget. And then gaining market share for your product is... Interesting in that space.

What specific questions do you have?

I'll tag @eliquid and @Rabby who also have developed software solutions. You might want to check out the threads they started...

GetFreeWithAnnie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 8, 2022
Wow thank you so much for the well thought out response. And for tagging your people. Do you have any further thoughts for what "a good size budget" is. Or can you give me an example of a budget you have worked with in the past..since you work with a developer.
Also could you elaborate a little bit on "gaining market share"? Im not even 100% sure on what you mean by that to be honest.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Wow thank you so much for the well thought out response. And for tagging your people. Do you have any further thoughts for what "a good size budget" is. Or can you give me an example of a budget you have worked with in the past..since you work with a developer.
Also could you elaborate a little bit on "gaining market share"? Im not even 100% sure on what you mean by that to be honest.

Are you building this for yourself? Just to help your own practice?

I assumed you wanted the software so you could sell it to the industry. That's what I meant by market share.

If this is something just for you you going to have to do a cost-benefit analysis.

Budget wise you're going to be in the tens of thousands. That's a big assumption on my part, but a fairly safe one. Is that worth it to you and your business?

As far as how much it would cost, a lot of that depends on the functionality you are thinking. And I don't know that you want to share that in a public forum with a total stranger or not.

My company has taken on software projects for as little as $10,000, and as much as $150,000. But if you think about it, there are companies out there that hire teams of developers and pay them 100+ grand a year, just to develop dental software.

The smaller your budget, the more shortcuts someone will take. Or the less functionality you will end up having.

And I haven't even asked how fast you need it. Because the faster you need it, the more developers need to work on it, which is another way of saying you probably need more money...

So it really just depends...

GetFreeWithAnnie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 8, 2022
Wow. Yes you assumed correctly. I honestly had no idea it was that costly to develop software. You've given me some good things to think about! I really appreciate your time

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Wow. Yes you assumed correctly. I honestly had no idea it was that costly to develop software. You've given me some good things to think about! I really appreciate your time

Download Chat gpt, get the premium ($20 per month) and then tell it your idea in as basic and thought out way you can.

Then ask it what language it would write such software in.

Then ask it to write it for you.

Ask it for the weak points in the code.

Then once you've got that, take it to a dev team and make it better.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this will work, but apparently Chat gpt has been writing code for people, as long as the prompts and questions are right, it should work.

Let us know how you get on!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
Download Chat gpt, get the premium ($20 per month) and then tell it your idea in as basic and thought out way you can.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this will work, but apparently Chat gpt has been writing code for people, as long as the prompts and questions are right, it should work.

I'm interested in the results of this too.

I haven't tried GPT-4, but I asked GPT-3.5 (free version) to make a simple turn-based strategy game with 3 character classes and it didn't even try. It said it's unable to build it.

I very much doubt even GPT-4 can generate multi-feature applications. I heard of some success building simple single-feature ones, but at the moment I can't see how it can make a complex dental software application. But I'm not a prompt engineer, so maybe I'm underestimating the potential or not quite able to make it generate what I want.

Following :)

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
I have worked for two companies that developed software for dental practices, and at the time both were quite long development and testing periods, which may not be the case any more with more modern development tools. Some of that was down to a need for the software to communicate with the UKs Dental Practice Board, but that was so long ago that I'd expect anything I remembered about that would now be out of date. Both were small businesses, and used one developer to write the code - that probably took longer than if we'd used teams of coders, but being small businesses we had no real idea of how to manage teams of developers working on the same code. It seemed more important to get on with it.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm interested in the results of this too.

I haven't tried GPT-4, but I asked GPT-3.5 (free version) to make a simple turn-based strategy game with 3 character classes and it didn't even try. It said it's unable to build it.

I very much doubt even GPT-4 can generate multi-feature applications. I heard of some success building simple single-feature ones, but at the moment I can't see how it can make a complex dental software application. But I'm not a prompt engineer, so maybe I'm underestimating the potential or not quite able to make it generate what I want.

Following :)
GPT 3.5 is limited in that respect, I've asked it to come up with simple code and it does. However it called on out of date repositories, which is no surprise seeing as it's 'knowledge' ends at November 2021.

GPT 4 is meant to be live, I saw a demo which suggests with the right prompts, it could at least build some kind of basic framework which a knowledgeable human could add functionality.

I too am interested to see if it works, hopefully the OP gives it a go!

lionessa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2023
Hi, what sort of problems in your practice are you trying to address? Maybe crating few apps would be a simple solution instead of building a software. I made apps that help me in my practice to find individual treatments for each patient.

kubikdanon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Apr 4, 2017
USA

Don't do this. Don't get me wrong, chat gpt can definitely help by saving you time ( I have $20/mo premium sub myself ), but it will never write a complex application for you. You have to be a developer yourself to be able to use it efficiently.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
What would your software do?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.