The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dental Productocracy

Idea threads

GetFreeWithAnnie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 8, 2022
Hey. I'm a registered dental hygienist, i have been in the dental field for 15 years. I have come across a "product" idea that I could use some execution advice on. Basically there is a product that I currently use every day. My patients love it, the other hygienists in my office use it now..its cheap to acquire from the compounding pharmacy, it makes my job easier, it makes patient's appointments easier, and more painless... And there are a couple other products available on the market like this one, but nothing that works this well and nothing that is executed very well.
I have created a better version, that's cheaper, with a better dispenser. I want to bring it to market. I think I can do that, however I have been trying to do research on if I would be able to actually create this myself, since it is something that we have to order at my dental office, from a pharmacy. I dont have a pharmacist license, and i dont know if that matters. I can't seem to find any definitive information on this. I am hoping to try to find a partnership. In a perfect ideal world, a pharmacist or dentist who has created their own products in the past would want to invest their knowledge and time into this with me. But any advice from anyone is welcome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted87239

Hey. I'm a registered dental hygienist, i have been in the dental field for 15 years. I have come across a "product" idea that I could use some execution advice on. Basically there is a product that I currently use every day. My patients love it, the other hygienists in my office use it now..its cheap to acquire from the compounding pharmacy, it makes my job easier, it makes patient's appointments easier, and more painless... And there are a couple other products available on the market like this one, but nothing that works this well and nothing that is executed very well.
I have created a better version, that's cheaper, with a better dispenser. I want to bring it to market. I think I can do that, however I have been trying to do research on if I would be able to actually create this myself, since it is something that we have to order at my dental office, from a pharmacy. I dont have a pharmacist license, and i dont know if that matters. I can't seem to find any definitive information on this. I am hoping to try to find a partnership. In a perfect ideal world, a pharmacist or dentist who has created their own products in the past would want to invest their knowledge and time into this with me. But any advice from anyone is welcome.
I’m a pharmacist. I’ve never brought a product to market but maybe I can help. You should email me to see what we can collaborate on. I’ll DM you my email address so we can get a conversation going.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
1. Don't give up any of your idea in the form of ownership. Try to keep as much as you can for yourself. Especially in the very beginning of this. While you are digging for more information, I wouldn't even put out there that you are looking for a partner. And if people ask you if they can partner with you, tell them you're not currently looking for a partner but you'll consider it.

2. Have you tried calling the compound pharmacy and asking their requirements for you placing the order? These laws might be different in different states as well. So maybe you can source the product in a different state.

3. You might want to consider getting a patent on it, and then licensing your idea to the companies that are doing it already. Take a cut and not have to do any work. In the long run you make less money, but I'm just throwing it out as an idea for you to consider.

4. If you want to bring people on board to help you out, offer them a cut of the sales that they bring to the table. Treat them more like a commissioned salesperson, not like a co-owner. (Unless you find out that you absolutely need a dentist on this. If that's the case, I have a very good friend who is very well connected with top notch dentists across the country. You don't want to partner with just anybody. Partner with somebody with deep pockets on connections. I can run your idea by him and see who he would suggest.)

I’m a pharmacist. I’ve never brought a product to market but maybe I can help. You should email me to see what we can collaborate on. I’ll DM you my email address so we can get a conversation going.

See what I mean. Like this guy. I'm sure he has all the best intentions in the world, but what's the stop him from taking your idea? He's been on the forum for a couple years and this is his first post.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
What do you think about cleaning teeth with soda powder? It seems to get rid of coffee stains fast.

D

Deleted87239

1. Don't give up any of your idea in the form of ownership. Try to keep as much as you can for yourself. Especially in the very beginning of this. While you are digging for more information, I wouldn't even put out there that you are looking for a partner. And if people ask you if they can partner with you, tell them you're not currently looking for a partner but you'll consider it.

2. Have you tried calling the compound pharmacy and asking their requirements for you placing the order? These laws might be different in different states as well. So maybe you can source the product in a different state.

3. You might want to consider getting a patent on it, and then licensing your idea to the companies that are doing it already. Take a cut and not have to do any work. In the long run you make less money, but I'm just throwing it out as an idea for you to consider.

4. If you want to bring people on board to help you out, offer them a cut of the sales that they bring to the table. Treat them more like a commissioned salesperson, not like a co-owner. (Unless you find out that you absolutely need a dentist on this. If that's the case, I have a very good friend who is very well connected with top notch dentists across the country. You don't want to partner with just anybody. Partner with somebody with deep pockets on connections. I can run your idea by him and see who he would suggest.)

See what I mean. Like this guy. I'm sure he has all the best intentions in the world, but what's the stop him from taking your idea? He's been on the forum for a couple years and this is his first post.
Way to discourage a person from ever posting again. Sorry I offered to help.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Way to discourage a person from ever posting again. Sorry I offered to help.

Oh relax Jeff. So dramatic. My advice was still on point.

If what I said is discouraging to you, that's more a reflection of where your head is at than anything else.

If she was to find a partner, I would hope she'd find one who isn't so easily dissuaded by the tiniest of perceived slights.

The business world isn't for the weak willed or weak minded. I don't actually know if you are either based on 2 comments, so if the shoe fits...

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
You can always do 3-d printing rapid prototyping to make and test one item. And then make some more based on the winning design to try Mr. Market. Also, you can do FB ads and Instagram to see your demographics. Hire someone to help you or learn it yourself. And yes Bizzy is right, do not tell anyone the idea. Start writing an inventor's log that specifies what you did daily. Best of luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.