The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to cope with being nervous for presentation

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Well i have a Spanish presentation... I'm really nervous because last time i did a presentation in the class I struggled to talk and would lose my voice and itd be all shaky when talking

Now i bought phenibut to get rid of that for the presentation, but of course my god damn mom took it before i even got home and won't allow me to have it

If i screw up this presentation it will negatively effect my grades and were nearing the end of the school year and if my gpa drops below a 3.0 i am F*cking screwed

If i don't do the presentation i have a 50% on it right away and if i dont show up like i did today then i get a "0" and my gpa is down for

the reason my gpa matters is because of my dad, otherwise i wouldn't stress about it, i also don't have enough money to pay for the car insurance so that is what is making it to where i can pay

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Breathing and controlling your pace is important. Practicing over and over in front of a mirror or video cam will help also. You have to know your script 100% to be able to perform well under pressure. Wear breathable clothes so you don't sweat a ton. I like to move around the crowd as I speak, kinda like a moving target in case they want to throw something at me. :)

You are your own worse critic. Practice and give yourself a fighting chance. Good luck.

Last edited:

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
I don't know if you have time to do this but Toastmasters is your best bet. Or find some friends for you to practice on.

There is nothing like practice and a little confidence.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Holy shit, I just spit coffee across the room Hahahahahahaha

LOL

Toastmasters will knock you for moving around the room while you talk.

I teach class daily and have to monitor kids as I talk. Slowly moving around the room as you talk makes your audience continually adjust their attention. It keeps them alert. I consider it part of taking control of the situation. I speak and move and control their attention. I practice 180 days a year. Some days are better than others.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Picture the audience naked. < I have always thought this was stupid. I used to have this problem, to tell you the truth only experience made it easier. Now it is no problem.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Back on topic - my method is simple. I just try to ignore that anyone else is even there, if I feel nervous at all. Ignorance is bliss.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
Also make some hand movements and body gestures, exaggerate it if you will. Did you know that 55%* of human communication is visual? It has similar effects as moving around the room like @Runum said.

You can "see" this guy saying Yo uno, dos, tres, cinco, cuatro...
dance_1.gif

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Make sure you pound your fists on the podium to emphasize your point.

NO... ME... GUSTA!!!!

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Make sure you pound your fists on the podium to emphasize your point.

NO... ME... GUSTA!!!!
haha itd be so much easier if there was a podium, i can't walk around either because i have to hold the item im presenting

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I think the best advice is to NOT try and memorize your presentation, word for word. This seems like the way people start out (or just reading directly from notes), but it's pretty much the worst way to do it. You end up sounding like a robot, and it's really easy to go blank if you get distracted for a second and miss a word. It's much better if you have a list of a few points that you want to cover and then you just proceed to have a conversation about those points with the audience.

Of course, that means you have to know the material pretty well, but I bet if one of your friends dropped by and asked what you were working on, you could sit on the couch and explain it to them pretty with and with zero anxiety. Have that same conversation, only in front of the class.

Greywolf

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 9, 2014
Aldergrove, British Columbia

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics