The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Bootstrap $100 A Day With No Car?

Steven Parker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 13, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I'm in a predicament where I need to earn $100 a day on average but I'm stuck with no car. Before you jump to any conclusions you need to know that I'm 40 years old (a young 40) and separated from my wife and 3 kids for a trial time apart (very long story, but well deserved for the both of us).

Obviously she got the car and I'm in a nice little beach town here in California to stay with some friends. But my free time is running out and I'm looking for work to get the next level again. But without a car it's quite a challenge.

Craigslist and the wonderful bootstrapping threads I've read on here is awesome, but without a car I cannot pickup and deliver products to flip.

Any ideas are welcomed and thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bus lines? Any thrift stores in walking distance?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I'm in a predicament where I need to earn $100 a day on average but I'm stuck with no car. Before you jump to any conclusions you need to know that I'm 40 years old (a young 40) and separated from my wife and 3 kids for a trial time apart (very long story, but well deserved for the both of us).

Obviously she got the car and I'm in a nice little beach town here in California to stay with some friends. But my free time is running out and I'm looking for work to get the next level again. But without a car it's quite a challenge.

Craigslist and the wonderful bootstrapping threads I've read on here is awesome, but without a car I cannot pickup and deliver products to flip.

Any ideas are welcomed and thank you.
What skills do you have? Photoshop, writing skills, sales skills, IT background, etc.

Steven Parker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 13, 2014
Yes we have plenty of Bus Lines, thanks. Yes thrift stores are around too...

May I dig a little further into the thrift store note? :)

Steven Parker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 13, 2014
What skills do you have? Photoshop, writing skills, sales skills, IT background, etc.

My background is that I've ran and lost several online businesses. My best month was $50,000 selling a small $97 ebook that was less than 100 pages.

I got lucky. It was a simple book that taught people how to start a blog back in 2008.

I also made a lot of mistakes along the way and looking back I never set up a proper business or treated my customers the way I should have.

My goal is to get back that $100 stable income, then start over on a Fastlane idea (do it right this time).

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Last edited by a moderator:

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
My background is that I've ran and lost several online businesses. My best month was $50,000 selling a small $97 ebook that was less than 100 pages.
I got lucky. It was a simple book that taught people how to start a blog back in 2008.
I also made a lot of mistakes along the way and looking back I never set up a proper business or treated my customers the way I should have.
My goal is to get back that $100 stable income, then start over on a Fastlane idea (do it right this time).

Well, you obviously have a computer and an internet connection, I've seen guys with in demand skills make $100 or more a day by Freelancing on Odesk or E-lance.

Since you don't have many resources available to you right now, that might be worth checking out.

D

DeletedUser12

What kind of skills / experience do you have?

Textbroker or as suggested above odesk or elance. They will require you to trade you time for money, but I have been making over $100/day on odesk.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
How large is the area you need to cover?

My only means of transportation for about 7yrs was a bicycle. I bought my first car about 6 months ago.
But I would imagine Chicago is much more bicycle friendly than LA.

bella5

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 21, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
If you're half decent at writing you can definitely earn more than $100 a day writing blog content etc. by getting work on Odesk, Elance or going direct to digital marketing agencies. It's not fun but it pays the bills :)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
From what I understand In the Netherlands A lot of people travel on bicycle, have bike bags, baskets, and some even ride their bike to work every day. The mail is delivered on bikes, the news papers, you can do just about anything on a bike you can do with a car. They even ride in the rain, dresses, and high heels.

Just means you may have to get up earlier, or actually move your body. If you don't like that, you can skate board, or roller blade. More than one way to travel.

Steven Parker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 13, 2014
Well, you obviously have a computer and an internet connection, I've seen guys with in demand skills make $100 or more a day by Freelancing on Odesk or E-lance.

Since you don't have many resources available to you right now, that might be worth checking out.

Thanks for your input. I sincerely appreciate it. I actually don't have internet connection and log on from a local cafe.

I would say things are "bad" for me right now, but that's not my mindset. I've been given a gift to totally start over, having everything wiped away from losing ground on my businesses (which weren't really businesses in the right way).

Yes there are limitations right now, no paypal accounts (they are both overdrawn by nearly $10,000 from mistakes), no money, no car, no license (another mistake from a year ago).

However, I'm positive. I've done it before. And I have the gift of knowing exactly WHAT NOT TO DO when I live life.

MJ is very adamant of not lying, steeling or cheating in business and I ended up doing all 3 out of what I thought was "necessity" just because I had a family to support.

I can go more into detail on that if you wish, but because of my mistakes I can't even show my real name or picture until I gather enough money in the future to pay back my debts and the people that I hurt.

So here I am...

Karma... :)

But Karma is meant to get you to a higher plane, if you wish to call it that.

And that's why I'm here and that's why I'm asking for input.

Thanks again.

Steven Parker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 13, 2014
What kind of skills / experience do you have?

Textbroker or as suggested above odesk or elance. They will require you to trade you time for money, but I have been making over $100/day on odesk.

I am open to this. I can definitely be a writer or any other service related to writing. I'm not sure what a textbroker is, but I can work from a cafe all day to make it happen.

What do you do on odesk each day to get your earnings? Is it different each time?

Thanks for your help.

Steven Parker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 13, 2014
If you're half decent at writing you can definitely earn more than $100 a day writing blog content etc. by getting work on Odesk, Elance or going direct to digital marketing agencies. It's not fun but it pays the bills :)

Yes I am thinking of doing this. What do you think I would need to put together to establish myself there and get work?

It's ironic, I've always sent people to Odesk and Elance during the last 6 years as a "guru" in the blog-creation business, and now I'm considering working there.

I sold shovels to those digging for gold, now I'm the one looking for a hole to dig :)

Steven Parker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 13, 2014
One great idea I have was to start a boat detailing company. First I'd have to get a job slaving away as a boat cleaner/detailer and then learning what I have to do, what supplies I need, then get moving.

I have a GREAT PRESENTATION appearance (face, slim, polite, great smile, etc.)

So getting the business and knocking on doors would be easy, then doing the job and hiring help would be the next step.

$400 - $1200 a day is reasonable for 2 people.

Then I could eventually train and have employees doing all of the work while I oversee the operation.

But in the meantime, working as a one-man-show would be a great start and a very reasonable income.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Get a bike. Walk places until you can. No excuses. Look for gigs on CL for right now. Take anything you can get. Get on elance today and get writing, don't let your pride price you out either. Right now some money is better than what you think you are worth...know what I mean? Do you have a bank account in the clear? If not, you'll have a hard time getting paid. You won't be able to open one with accounts in the negative, you'll end up in check systems...which will clear in time...but it makes it hard to get banking. I'm a big one on the thrift store play, but you need some cash for that...so use CL gigs first.

You'll be OK. People make mistakes, we are human. It is part of our story. You can make a complete come-back, you just have to work at it, everyday.

I'd also suggest when you get your feet under you, you meet with a competent BK attorney and look at your options. You may have several options to get some breathing room, which can include paying back your debts in whole or in part if you want too. They call it a fresh start for a reason. Don't be afraid or ashamed to use the system as it was designed to start over. Best of luck to you. Just hustle one day at a time right now, it will all come together.

Steven Parker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 13, 2014
Get a bike. Walk places until you can. No excuses. Look for gigs on CL for right now. Take anything you can get. Get on elance today and get writing, don't let your pride price you out either. Right now some money is better than what you think you are worth...know what I mean?

Yep, I certainly do.

Do you have a bank account in the clear? If not, you'll have a hard time getting paid. You won't be able to open one with accounts in the negative, you'll end up in check systems...which will clear in time...but it makes it hard to get banking. I'm a big one on the thrift store play, but you need some cash for that...so use CL gigs first.

I do have a bank account clear, but yes - I am also in checksystems for older accounts connected to paypal.

You'll be OK. People make mistakes, we are human. It is part of our story. You can make a complete come-back, you just have to work at it, everyday.

Yes that's my mindset. It makes me excited actually, not only a come-back to a "STAY BACK," if you know what I mean.

I'd also suggest when you get your feet under you, you meet with a competent BK attorney and look at your options. You may have several options to get some breathing room, which can include paying back your debts in whole or in part if you want too. They call it a fresh start for a reason. Don't be afraid or ashamed to use the system as it was designed to start over. Best of luck to you. Just hustle one day at a time right now, it will all come together.

Yes I am also open to this idea too. The one thing I'm out of right now is ego. My situation has given me a new foundation in a positive way.

I do believe this.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Yes that's my mindset. It makes me excited actually, not only a come-back to a "STAY BACK," if you know what I mean.

Yes. I do.

When you start getting daily work and can provide the basics take a look at this thread:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/1-year-later-now-what.44565/

You'll also want an INSIDERS subscription here. It is worth its weight in gold.

I'd also suggest hitting up the local library and using internet resources to learn to write good copy. It is always a marketable skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser12

I am open to this. I can definitely be a writer or any other service related to writing. I'm not sure what a textbroker is, but I can work from a cafe all day to make it happen.

What do you do on odesk each day to get your earnings? Is it different each time?

Thanks for your help.

I do video editing on oDesk and have found a fairly steady gig. Textbroker would probably be easier to start making money by writing articles. You do a 'test article' and they basically grade your writing level. Then you are able to choose writing assignments at your level. I believe you get paid every Friday. Most is writing for blogs/sites with SEO in mind. And a lot of it will require research (time) since you probably wouldn't already know enough about a certain obscure subject to write about it. Each article doesn't pay a lot, so you would have to do several a day for your goal or use it as a supplemental income.

The key to oDesk is getting any gig at first (maybe by lowballing) and getting some five star ratings. Then people will start inviting you to interview for gigs as opposed to you going to them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.