The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

how much knowledge is enough ( HTML and CSS)

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane
G

Guest31xr384

hey all, i have recently started learning HTML and CSS in the last few weeks and I'm slowly getting the hang of it all ( not the best but that comes with time/practice).
What do you all think is the bare minimum needed to know about HTML and CSS before you can start getting clients ( and create them websites with competence) .
just wanted to ask as i don't want to get into "I'll just learn a little bit more before i start" hell

Thank you for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kr8nt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Nov 24, 2022
Latvia
hey all, i have recently started learning HTML and CSS in the last few weeks and I'm slowly getting the hang of it all ( not the best but that comes with time/practice).
What do you all think is the bare minimum needed to know about HTML and CSS before you can start getting clients ( and create them websites with competence) .
just wanted to ask as i don't want to get into "I'll just learn a little bit more before i start" hell

Thank you for reading.
As long as you know how to use Google and learn on the fly, you already know enough, but other than that completing a couple free tutorial series on YouTube that walk you through building a simple static page should get you prepared to get started.

Technically, there is no exact answer to this question as it may vary from project to project. The only way to find out is to get a client as soon as you can. One job may you require to edit a couple CSS lines, one job may require you to write a whole landing page, so the best way to find this out would be to go out and get clients now, don't wait!

You should still continue to learn, but do this at the same time while looking for a client, don't wait until "you will know enough", this moment will never come.

Good luck with getting a client!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
What do you all think is the bare minimum needed to know about HTML and CSS before you can start getting clients

Your technical skills will improve your ability to get clients by 0%.

"How much coding do you need to know to finish a project" is a completely different question, and the answer depends on what tools and frameworks you are relying upon.

Use as many tools as you can. Raw HTML and CSS won't get you very far.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
The bare minimum for coding a basic website includes more than HTML and CSS -- at the very least, you need to understand a back-end programming language that handles the logic. But also:

• if you need data to persist, then you need to understand how databases work, how to configure one, and how to interact with it. You would also need to understand basic cyber security measures like preventing Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) attacks and SQL injections.
  • if you need any interactivity on pages, then you need to learn JavaScript.

I'm not including this to scare you away from web development -- I do it professionally and it is the basis of my Fastlane business. But you need context: only 10% of your learning time should be spent on HTML and CSS -- they are both very easy. You need to build a website from scratch and spend 90% of your time learning the other skills that are much more difficult and important. You'll learn later on that a lot of tedious HTML and CSS code can (and should) be automated.

Last edited:

eifesu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 21, 2021

Thank you for reading.
Some here said, this is not thecoderforum but the Fastlane forum.

As a web developer/designer myself I understand that it might look like learning HTML & CSS and honing your skills should be top priority, it should not be. Instead you should be looking for opportunities to help people, the learning will naturally come along.

If I had to only remember two sentences from this forum, it would be @Andy Black ’s « Help people, get paid, help more people » and « What if you already know enough ».

If you pivot your vision towards helping more and faster, you will realize how much more you can do when using tools that already exist and have been battle tested. I would highly recommend Webflow since it will compliment your existing foundations.

I am certain that you know someone or something that could benefit from having a web site. Go and let someone know that you could help with helping them get more clients online, you definitely got this !

G

Guest31xr384

As long as you know how to use Google and learn on the fly, you already know enough, but other than that completing a couple free tutorial series on YouTube that walk you through building a simple static page should get you prepared to get started.

Technically, there is no exact answer to this question as it may vary from project to project. The only way to find out is to get a client as soon as you can. One job may you require to edit a couple CSS lines, one job may require you to write a whole landing page, so the best way to find this out would be to go out and get clients now, don't wait!

You should still continue to learn, but do this at the same time while looking for a client, don't wait until "you will know enough", this moment will never come.

Good luck with getting a client!
yeah I'd say you're on the money my friend ,its the same as working in a new job with no experience , you just learn as you go, or as the cools kids would say "just go with the flow". also nowadays we can take advantage of templates pre-made for us to use.

the learning i'll still continue but i will implement sales in my curriculum i made up. as fox and the others said its best to be good in mutliple skills than to be excellent in just one.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post i appreciate a lot.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
its best to be good in mutliple skills than to be excellent in just one.
Be careful of sweeping statements and making sweeping statements.

People make it work either way.

I'd rather be excellent at Google Ads than good at ads on multiple platforms. Others would rather the opposite.

G

Guest31xr384

Some here said, this is not thecoderforum but the Fastlane forum.

As a web developer/designer myself I understand that it might look like learning HTML & CSS and honing your skills should be top priority, it should not be. Instead you should be looking for opportunities to help people, the learning will naturally come along.

If I had to only remember two sentences from this forum, it would be @Andy Black ’s « Help people, get paid, help more people » and « What if you already know enough ».

If you pivot your vision towards helping more and faster, you will realize how much more you can do when using tools that already exist and have been battle tested. I would highly recommend Webflow since it will compliment your existing foundations.

I am certain that you know someone or something that could benefit from having a web site. Go and let someone know that you could help with helping them get more clients online, you definitely got this !
thank you for reading my post eifesu, theres some people in my town that could do with a better website as i have recently taken a look online to check for any potential clients, its just getting my sales skills up but you'll learn that with time ( and also fox's youtube channel has some good pointers on there).

but yeah i will make it happen my friend!

G

Guest31xr384

Be careful of sweeping statements and making sweeping statements.

People make it work either way.

I'd rather be excellent at Google Ads than good at ads on multiple platforms. Others would rather the opposite.
thank you for reading my post andy black, i can see your point as you can benefit from being excellent in one particular sector so in that degree i was wrong, but in my current situation it would help to be good/average in multiple things as it'll assist with my endeavours.

G

Guest31xr384

The bare minimum for coding a basic website includes more than HTML and CSS -- at the very least, you need to understand a back-end programming language that handles the logic. But also:

• if you need data to persist, then you need to understand how databases work, how to configure one, and how to interact with it. You would also need to understand basic cyber security measures like preventing Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) attacks and SQL injections.
  • if you need any interactivity on pages, then you need to learn JavaScript.

I'm not including this to scare you away from web development -- I do it professionally and it is the basis of my Fastlane business. But you need context: only 10% of your learning time should be spent on HTML and CSS -- they are both very easy. You need to build a website from scratch and spend 90% of your time learning the other skills that are much more difficult and important. You'll learn later on that a lot of tedious HTML and CSS code can (and should) be automated.
don't worry mate you haven't scared me, what you've said has helped me gather more subjects to learn about in web develpoment , important ones too. i'll change up my curriculum to include the ones suggested by you.

thank you for reading my post Jon822.

G

Guest31xr384

Your technical skills will improve your ability to get clients by 0%.

"How much coding do you need to know to finish a project" is a completely different question, and the answer depends on what tools and frameworks you are relying upon.

Use as many tools as you can. Raw HTML and CSS won't get you very far.
in 2024 we do have quite a lot of tools like the pre-made templates that you can buy, they'll save a lot of time for us instead of building sites from scrath with every client.

thank you for reading post heavy industry.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Hello!

I had ~2 years of developer experience before I launched my first agency. I knew HTML and CSS intimately, and had a base foundation of JavaScript. That in mind, you can launch a web design agency with 0 technical skill. Those of us with the "technical skill" are typically using page builders anyway. Almost no one completely custom builds things anymore, myself included. The most difficult aspect to web design is consistently landing clients, though that becomes easier with time and authority.

Start finding clients. As you find clients, hire people with the technical skills. These people are usually "overseas" depending on where your sea is, but you're paying them more money than they'd make locally while simultaneously cutting your costs and having someone that'll deliver excellent results for you/your company. Collect payment. Collect review(s). Rinse & repeat.

If you need cash flow to pay the person you hire, collect 50% of the client's total upfront, collect the remaining 50% after you deliver results. Use the initial 50% to pay the person you hired (ideally not all of it).

Finally, if you'd like to learn web development regardless, if you haven't heard of them already, I encourage you to check out FreeCodeCamp or The Odin Project. Both resources are completely free (I believe both offer a paid certification option, however), and will teach you full stack web development. Since this question still gets asked 24/7, I'll just drop it here, despite the fact you didn't ask: yes, despite AI/automation, etc. I still believe coding is worth learning in 2024. But, in my personal and professional opinion, it's only worth it if you're aiming for full stack development.

Cheers.

G

Guest31xr384

Hello!

I had ~2 years of developer experience before I launched my first agency. I knew HTML and CSS intimately, and had a base foundation of JavaScript. That in mind, you can launch a web design agency with 0 technical skill. Those of us with the "technical skill" are typically using page builders anyway. Almost no one completely custom builds things anymore, myself included. The most difficult aspect to web design is consistently landing clients, though that becomes easier with time and authority.

Start finding clients. As you find clients, hire people with the technical skills. These people are usually "overseas" depending on where your sea is, but you're paying them more money than they'd make locally while simultaneously cutting your costs and having someone that'll deliver excellent results for you/your company. Collect payment. Collect review(s). Rinse & repeat.

If you need cash flow to pay the person you hire, collect 50% of the client's total upfront, collect the remaining 50% after you deliver results. Use the initial 50% to pay the person you hired (ideally not all of it).

Finally, if you'd like to learn web development regardless, if you haven't heard of them already, I encourage you to check out FreeCodeCamp or The Odin Project. Both resources are completely free (I believe both offer a paid certification option, however), and will teach you full stack web development. Since this question still gets asked 24/7, I'll just drop it here, despite the fact you didn't ask: yes, despite AI/automation, etc. I still believe coding is worth learning in 2024. But, in my personal and professional opinion, it's only worth it if you're aiming for full stack development.

Cheers.

hello Oso and thank you for reading my post i really appreciate it,that agency idea is something im going to really consider as talking to the clients and getting sales always came across as the exciting bit as i should imagine it feels really intense not knowing if you're going to get the sale or not and if you do that dopamine spike must feel insane.

im still going to learn html and css regardless as i do enjoy learning and theres no point stopping now ( thanks for the resource recommendations by the way,being a full stack dev would be cool) but i will add variety in what i teach myself and not just dedicate 4 hours of my day on html and css.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.