The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I Use HIIT Sprints To BURN Stupid Amounts Of Fat Quickly...

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

I don't know about you guys, but for me that period between Thanksgiving and New Years is a time that (despite my best intentions)

I eat more unhealthy food in larger quantities while moving less...

And what is the result of all that?

Pretty much what you would expect

(I guess intentions really aren't worth shit when you think about it...)

But just like Marlo Stanfield of "The Wire", when his sales numbers decreased in his illegal narcotics trafficking operation...

marlodamnsure.jpg

I'm damn sure going to do something about it

Today I want to share with you one of my secret weapons that helps me to "get right" time and time again

It is dead simple and combined with a bit of weight training and a diet that keeps you in a caloric deficit, it is one of the single best tools that I know for burning fat, and definitely works better than something like jogging for a number of reasons

You can just take off way more fat in a single training session while preserving more muscle, and over time this compounds like crazy

(Posting this here for myself as much as anyone else, so I can remember what works)

While there are many different ways of doing High Intensity Interval Training (or HIIT) one thing I love about this particular method is that it goes relatively easy on the knees/feet

This allows you to get in A LOT of training day after day, allowing for continual progress

(even though we're sprinting it's still a marathon...)

It's going to take a long time of doing the right things over and over to get ripped and stay ripped, assuming that is what you're going for... I know it's what I want)

So with all that said, how do I do high intensity sprints on the treadmill?

1. Start with the incline at 0 and at a speed that you are comfortable with like 6.0 or 6.5 to allow your muscles to get warm.

2. Sprint for 30 seconds and rest for 30 seconds (hop off the moving treadmill onto the sides so that the belt can keep moving at the same speed)

Increase your speed every 6-10 minutes. Don't overdo it, but keep on challenging yourself. Remember, even though we're sprinting, it's still a marathon. We need to last for the whole year and beyond.

3. Repeat this for 30 minutes or until spent. If you are at the very beginning, you may have to start with 20 minutes or 10 minutes or even 5. Where you start doesn't really matter. Master that amount of time and then add on a minute or 2 or 5 when it becomes too easy. This way you keep improving. You never want to go over 45 minutes though, as you risk eroding muscle, which is no bueno (muscle tissue burns more fat)

4. If you still have gas in the tank do another session of 30 minutes at the end of the day to speed up results (so that's one session early in the morning and one before bed). And/or you can add a shorter 10-15 minute session after doing weights to maximize fat burn.

DO NOT add all of these at once, as the goal is not to burn out in week 1 or 2. Remember... Marathon... PROCESS...

That's it!

You now have a new powerful weapon in your arsenal. Feel free to thank me later.

Of course you still need to eat right, and of course you still need to do weight/resistance training

But if you do this consistently 4-5 times a week or more, you will start to burn stupid amounts of fat (especially if you are new to/not used to HIIT training)

Any questions?

Hope it works as well for you as it does for me

work.jpg
(2016... I put in work that year)

Please report back & best of luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
HIIT is really good stuff. I use it once a week on the track when I do interval sprints.

When I really push it hard my intercostals (the cartilage and "meat" between your ribs) would be sore the next day from taking such massive, deep breaths.

Sometimes I'd do all-out sprints then walk, or maybe a job and then a 90% run and back to a job. Lots of way to mix it up.

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver

I don't know about you guys, but for me that period between Thanksgiving and New Years is a time that (despite my best intentions)

But just like Marlo Stanfield of "The Wire", when his sales numbers decreased in his illegal narcotics trafficking operation...

View attachment 17358

Today I want to share with you one of my secret weapons that helps me to "get right" time and time again

It is dead simple and combined with a bit of weight training and a diet that keeps you in a caloric deficit, it is one of the single best tools that I know for burning fat, and definitely works better than something like jogging for a number of reasons

You can just take off way more fat in a single training session while preserving more muscle, and over time this compounds like crazy

(Posting this here for myself as much as anyone else, so I can remember what works)

While there are many different ways of doing High Intensity Interval Training (or HIIT) one thing I love about this particular method is that it goes relatively easy on the knees/feet

This allows you to get in A LOT of training day after day, allowing for continual progress

It's going to take a long time of doing the right things over and over to get ripped and stay ripped, assuming that is what you're going for... I know it's what I want)

1. Start with the incline at 0 and at a speed that you are comfortable with like 6.0 or 6.5 to allow your muscles to get warm.

2. Sprint for 30 seconds and rest for 30 seconds (hop off the moving treadmill onto the sides so that the belt can keep moving at the same speed)

Increase your speed every 6-10 minutes. Don't overdo it, but keep on challenging yourself. Remember, even though we're sprinting, it's still a marathon. We need to last for the whole year and beyond.

3. Repeat this for 30 minutes or until spent. If you are at the very beginning, you may have to start with 20 minutes or 10 minutes or even 5. Where you start doesn't really matter. Master that amount of time and then add on a minute or 2 or 5 when it becomes too easy. This way you keep improving. You never want to go over 45 minutes though, as you risk eroding muscle, which is no bueno (muscle tissue burns more fat)

4. If you still have gas in the tank do another session of 30 minutes at the end of the day to speed up results (so that's one session early in the morning and one before bed). And/or you can add a shorter 10-15 minute session after doing weights to maximize fat burn.

DO NOT add all of these at once, as the goal is not to burn out in week 1 or 2. Remember... Marathon... PROCESS...

That's it!

You now have a new powerful weapon in your arsenal. Feel free to thank me later.

Of course you still need to eat right, and of course you still need to do weight/resistance training

But if you do this consistently 4-5 times a week or more, you will start to burn stupid amounts of fat (especially if you are new to/not used to HIIT training)

Any questions?

View attachment 17359

Thanks for sharing your method. I was all about this back when I was actively working out..now I don't work out frequently enough to be able to sprint for too long.

What I would do is: walk for 30 seconds at 3.5mph, then increase speed up to 10mph and sprint for 30 seconds, then slow it back down to 3.5mph, etc. etc. and I would follow this cycle for anywhere from 10-15mins.

Then as you get in better shape, start running at faster speeds, sprint for longer than 30 seconds (45 secs maybe), or do it for 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Worked fantastically and was so much better than spending 45 minutes of doing other low-intensity cardio.

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY

View attachment 17358

That's it!

Any questions?

View attachment 17359

Great post! Thanks for sharing. Lately quite a few people have told me directly or indirectly that I've put on weight. I don't have weight issues and my BMI is within range, but when you went from skinny to slightly chubby people do notice. I'm going to try this during weekend as I get tired very easily during weekdays. Thanks again for the tips

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
HIIT is really good stuff. I use it once a week on the track when I do interval sprints.

When I really push it hard my intercostals (the cartilage and "meat" between your ribs) would be sore the next day from taking such massive, deep breaths.

Sometimes I'd do all-out sprints then walk, or maybe a job and then a 90% run and back to a job. Lots of way to mix it up.
Definitely tons of ways to do it!

Some other awesome ones I like:
  • Jump rope
  • Burpees
  • Rowing
  • Swimming laps
  • Bball court sprints
  • Kettlebell swings (sort of)
  • Box jumps
  • Mountain climbers. Welll...I don't actually "like" those ones :rofl:

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Thanks for sharing your method. I was all about this back when I was actively working out..now I don't work out frequently enough to be able to sprint for too long.

What I would do is: walk for 30 seconds at 3.5mph, then increase speed up to 10mph and sprint for 30 seconds, then slow it back down to 3.5mph, etc. etc. and I would follow this cycle for anywhere from 10-15mins.

Then as you get in better shape, start running at faster speeds, sprint for longer than 30 seconds (45 secs maybe), or do it for 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Worked fantastically and was so much better than spending 45 minutes of doing other low-intensity cardio.
Couldn't agree with you more!

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
No problem! Maybe try it for a few weeks & let us know how it goes.... Best of luck!
Great post! Thanks for sharing. Lately quite a few people have told me directly or indirectly that I've put on weight. I don't have weight issues and my BMI is within range, but when you went from skinny to slightly chubby people do notice. I'm going to try this during weekend as I get tired very easily during weekdays. Thanks again for the tips

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Some other awesome ones I like:
  • Jump rope
  • Burpees
  • Rowing
  • Swimming laps
  • Bball court sprints
  • Kettlebell swings (sort of)
  • Box jumps
  • Mountain climbers. Welll...I don't actually "like" those ones :rofl:

I got shredded doing HIIT sprints. Problem is, my knees eventually started giving out and soon I couldn't run at all. Haven't ran in over a year now. With everything else going on I've gained a lot of weight, all the way up to 185 even with intermittent fasting and a clean diet.

Anyway, I started doing jump rope, but that didn't last long due to shin splints (trying to work through that issue now).

So now I've started the search for other HIIT exercises. Loving the idea of swimming if I can find a pool nearby. Burpees was the next logical workout, but I hate doing them. Will do it if I have to though haha.

Thanks for sharing the others.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I got shredded doing HIIT sprints. Problem is, my knees eventually started giving out and soon I couldn't run at all. Haven't ran in over a year now. With everything else going on I've gained a lot of weight, all the way up to 185 even with intermittent fasting and a clean diet.

Anyway, I started doing jump rope, but that didn't last long due to shin splints (trying to work through that issue now).

So now I've started the search for other HIIT exercises. Loving the idea of swimming if I can find a pool nearby. Burpees was the next logical workout, but I hate doing them. Will do it if I have to though haha.

Thanks for sharing the others.

My pleasure, man!

I have been through that problem of overdoing it with the sprinting as well (bc it works so well)

....and that definitely sucks

Swimming is definitely one of the best if you can solve the problem of a reliable pool

As low impact as it gets and you also get the added benefit of cold water making you metabolize faster for longer... even affter you leave the pool (see "THE FOUR HOUR BODY" by Tim Ferriss)

IMG_2198.JPG

Burpees definitely suck, but man are they efficient.... not exactly low impact though...

I kind of love them and also hate them. One day I recommend googling "brandon carter ultimate burpee workout", just for the hell of it :rofl:

EDIT: Couldn't resist... :rofl:

View: https://youtu.be/RjLqXwV8x7w

If you have access to a rowing machine (the aerobic kind, not the weights kind) that will be amazing for you, bc it works so many different parts of your body simultaneously without the impact on your legs...

Used to do that one in HIIT fashion for 20-30 mins all the time.... great workout!

Oh yeah, if you happen to have access to a boxing gym, there are few things better POUND FOR POUND (see what I did there...?)

IMG_2199.GIF

When I was doing that 3-5 times a week I could pretty much eat anything up to and including five guys and keep a six pack anyway, lol (not that I was eating it for every meal or anything, but definitely after training sometimes)

Tons of other ways I'm not currently thinking about right now as well....

Let me think about it some more and get back to you!

Last edited:

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Great post! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Is there a HIIT strategy that doesn't impact the knees?

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
My pleasure, man!

I have been through that problem of overdoing it with the sprinting as well (bc it works so well)

....and that definitely sucks

Swimming is definitely one of the best if you can solve the problem of a reliable pool

As low impact as it gets and you also get the added benefit of cold water making you metabolize faster for longer... even affter you leave the pool (see "THE FOUR HOUR BODY" by Tim Ferriss)

View attachment 17394

Burpees definitely suck, but man are they efficient.... not exactly low impact though...

I kind of love them and also hate them. One day I recommend googling "brandon carter ultimate burpee workout", just for the hell of it :rofl:

EDIT: Couldn't resist... :rofl:

View: https://youtu.be/RjLqXwV8x7w

If you have access to a rowing machine (the aerobic kind, not the weights kind) that will be amazing for you, bc it works so many different parts of your body simultaneously without the impact on your legs...

Used to do that one in HIIT fashion for 20-30 mins all the time.... great workout!

Oh yeah, if you happen to have access to a boxing gym, there are few things better POUND FOR POUND (see what I did there...?)

View attachment 17395

When I was doing that 3-5 times a week I could pretty much eat anything up to and including five guys and keep a six pack anyway, lol (not that I was eating it for every meal or anything, but definitely after training sometimes)

Tons of other ways I'm not currently thinking about right now as well....

Let me think about it some more and get back to you!
Thought of a great one...

Calisthenics!

Pushups, Pullups, Chinups, Dips, Holds, Muscle Ups (if that's your game...), Etc...

upload_2018-1-6_21-0-38.png

M Eve

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 6, 2015
Great post thank you for this!

Always looking for new and better ways to change up workouts to stop from hitting plates and shocking the body to grow and develop.

Calisthenics is something I am keen to try out.

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
HIIT is so much more than just another workout, I love it! What many people don't realize is how effective it is at stimulating the right kind of biochemical responses that your body needs to burn fat and heal faster, namely increased natural HGH production.

Phil Campbell is a running coach and wrote an excellent book on HIIT called Sprint 8. By a lot of testing with athletes and drawing on a lot of medical studies, he's done a good job of pin-pointing the benchmarks you should aim for to get the most out of a HIIT session.

You can find a lot of HIIT workouts all over, but most neglect to mention a key factor that Phil Campbell's work discovered to increase the effectiveness of your workout. Don't consume any sugar within at least an hour before or after your workout. His testing on athletes demonstrated that sugar intake effectively kills the HGH release that you would typically get from a proper HIIT session. You'll still get a good workout, but you're depriving yourself of an additional benefit.

I have bad knees from years of football, rugby, and general rough living. But I've been able to make some serious improvements by making some fairly simple changes to how I run.

I tried out some of what Christopher McDougall writes about in his book "Born to Run". It's not just a book on exercise. It's wildly entertaining and talks about the emergence of the crazy ultramarathons, guys racing horses (and winning!), African bush hunters successfully chasing down prey over 20-30 mile chases across the African plains, and a unique tribe of Indians living quietly in some of the most remote canyons in Mexico and who regularly race for 50-100 miles amongst themselves.

In a nutshell, our expensive a$$ running shoes are killing us. In the 1970's, Nike began and started dishing out pseudo-scientific theories about running (I couldn't bring myself to say "fake news" lol) that ran contrary to the hundreds of thousands of years of evolution that led to our natural feet and gait, and we've been beating ourselves to death ever since. More importantly than that however, he talks about how you CAN recover from bad knees, ankles, etc.

At the beginning of Chapter 3 in UNSCRIPTED , MJ's quote from Dresden James is one of my favorites, "When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and it's speaker a raving lunatic."

McDougal is a lunatic who's idea (proven successful, time and time again) runs contrary to popular opinion, to include a lot of foot doctors who for at least two generations, have embraced Nike's marketing message that orthopedic injuries are a normal price for living an active life, and that six-figure surgeries that cripple you for life are the cure. Watch his Ted talk here.

As I said earlier, I thought my running and doing anything harder than softball days were over, but I'm able to do a lot more, even go run for a 5K without my knees or shins giving out the next day. And doing my sprints barefoot in the sand or on the grass is amazing. Sounds goofy, but I spend a lot of time sitting down throughout the day, and I notice a difference in how much better my back feels when I've been running or sprinting barefoot or with a flat-sole shoe.

So yeah, if you're hurting and thinking you can't do HIIT sprints anymore, try watching some Youtube videos on toe-striking, then go out to some grass or sand do give it a try. Your lungs will likely give out before your shins do.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Great post thank you for this!

Always looking for new and better ways to change up workouts to stop from hitting plates and shocking the body to grow and develop.

Calisthenics is something I am keen to try out.
My pleasure! Glad to hear you got some value

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
I got shredded doing HIIT sprints. Problem is, my knees eventually started giving out

Is there a HIIT strategy that doesn't impact the knees?

Are you familiar with Joe Wicks (aka The Body Coach)? He's taken the UK by storm. He puts out new HIIT sessions weekly on his Youtube channel, with quite a few that are 'Easy on the knees'.

Here's one you can check out:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3PQx-0LOsY

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Are you familiar with Joe Wicks (aka The Body Coach)? He's taken the UK by storm. He puts out new HIIT sessions weekly on his Youtube channel, with quite a few that are 'Easy on the knees'.

Here's one you can check out:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3PQx-0LOsY

Haven't heard of him, but I'll check it out.

Any of ya'll use trampoline?

Seems like maybe it could be high intensity and easy on the knees.

Couldn't find any before/after HIIT trampoline videos on YT.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Haven't heard of him, but I'll check it out.

Any of ya'll use trampoline?

Seems like maybe it could be high intensity and easy on the knees.

Couldn't find any before/after HIIT trampoline videos on YT.

My wife wants a trampoline in the house. Apparently, it's great for a dopamine boost (not fitness related!).

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
In a nutshell, our expensive a$$ running shoes are killing us. In the 1970's, Nike began and started dishing out pseudo-scientific theories about running (I couldn't bring myself to say "fake news" lol) that ran contrary to the hundreds of thousands of years of evolution that led to our natural feet and gait, and we've been beating ourselves to death ever since.

When I was younger I used to run in your standard sneakers, on treadmills or on the rare occassion when I ran outside, on pavement.

As several others have mentioned, this, in combination with being too heavy and injuries from other activities, made running unsustainable.

Two things have fixed this for me. The shoes change is one of them. I don't run barefoot, but I do wear running shoes with the thin Vibram sole -- the New Balance Minimus version, not the weird-looking five-fingers model -- which helds tremendously compared to a normal-soled shoe.

The other thing is that I do not run on any hard surface. No pavement and no treadmills. I'm lucky enough to live next to a large park with lots of grass and rugby fields, and some convenient steep hills, which means I can do sprints and other kinds of intervals without wrecking ankles, knees and hips.

All precautions and grains-of-salt about internet advice apply, of course (and I've still got to be careful about overdoing it -- always ease into this stuff over several weeks, rather than diving right into the deep end) but these two things have made it possible to run again without pain.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
My wife wants a trampoline in the house. Apparently, it's great for a dopamine boost (not fitness related!).

So I've heard! Always good to move the body in some way, IMO.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.