The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How does one develop personal routines for success when you work erratic hours?

Anything related to matters of the mind

workinprogress

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 7, 2015
Hey Fastlane fam. I am in need of some advice. To make a long story short, I currently work a retail job and one of the downsides of retail is that it entails erratic hours. Not being able to get a routine that I do every single day is killing me, as every day is different. I will usually rotate between a couple of regular shifts, them being:

• 9:30am to 5:30pm (opening the store)
  • 1:00pm to 8:30pm or 3:00 to 8:30pm (closing the store on weekdays)
  • 1:00pm to 9:30pm or 3:00 to 9:30pm (closing the store on weekends)
  • 11:00am to 6:00pm or 11:00am to 7:00pm (neither opening not closing)
95% of my work days consist of the above hours, but as anyone else here who has worked retail knows, there are always exceptions.

My question to you guys is this: how can I develop routines and habits that will further my success in spite of my erratic hours? I find myself wasting unacceptable amounts of time sweating the small stuff, and not enough time working on the big picture, side-business-y stuff. I want to set up some sort of system that works with my schedule that I don’t ever have to think about, and one that ultimately results in me being able to pour 20 hours a week or more into my side business.

This would be a lot easier if I had a set 9-5 schedule at my job but that is currently not an option. I kindly ask you to not suggest talking to my boss to change my schedule, as I have already eliminated that as an option. I don’t want to say too much about my work on here, but this schedule issue is surprisingly one of the only downsides. I work part time, less than 40 hours a week. I'd say I average 33 hours a week. I get 2 off days every week, and work the other 5. But, despite this I still get benefits equivalent to a full time job, and am paid very well. This leaves me with a lot of free time, but I am currently struggling with how to best utilize it!

I could type paragraphs more about this, but as an inexperienced poster here I will let you guys have at this post as is. Please ask if you need more information from me to formulate a better reply. Be it about my job and/or life, I will try and oblige as best I can.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013
Hey Fastlane fam. I am in need of some advice. To make a long story short, I currently work a retail job and one of the downsides of retail is that it entails erratic hours. Not being able to get a routine that I do every single day is killing me, as every day is different. I will usually rotate between a couple of regular shifts, them being:

• 9:30am to 5:30pm (opening the store)
  • 1:00pm to 8:30pm or 3:00 to 8:30pm (closing the store on weekdays)
  • 1:00pm to 9:30pm or 3:00 to 9:30pm (closing the store on weekends)
  • 11:00am to 6:00pm or 11:00am to 7:00pm (neither opening not closing)
95% of my work days consist of the above hours, but as anyone else here who has worked retail knows, there are always exceptions.

My question to you guys is this: how can I develop routines and habits that will further my success in spite of my erratic hours? I find myself wasting unacceptable amounts of time sweating the small stuff, and not enough time working on the big picture, side-business-y stuff. I want to set up some sort of system that works with my schedule that I don’t ever have to think about, and one that ultimately results in me being able to pour 20 hours a week or more into my side business.

This would be a lot easier if I had a set 9-5 schedule at my job but that is currently not an option. I kindly ask you to not suggest talking to my boss to change my schedule, as I have already eliminated that as an option. I don’t want to say too much about my work on here, but this schedule issue is surprisingly one of the only downsides. I work part time, less than 40 hours a week. I'd say I average 33 hours a week. I get 2 off days every week, and work the other 5. But, despite this I still get benefits equivalent to a full time job, and am paid very well. This leaves me with a lot of free time, but I am currently struggling with how to best utilize it!

I could type paragraphs more about this, but as an inexperienced poster here I will let you guys have at this post as is. Please ask if you need more information from me to formulate a better reply. Be it about my job and/or life, I will try and oblige as best I can.

If I were you my routine would look like this:
  • 9:30am to 5:30pm (opening the store) 6:30 to 12:01am WORK
  • 6:00am to 12:00 pm WORK 1:00pm to 8:30pm or 3:00 to 8:30pm (closing the store on weekdays)
  • 6:00am to 12:00 pm WORK 1:00pm to 9:30pm or 3:00 to 9:30pm (closing the store on weekends)
  • 11:00am to 6:00pm or 11:00am to 7:00pm (neither opening not closing) 6:30 to 12:01am WORK
If you really want it you will stop using an erratic schedule as an excuse to waste time. Stop thinking if I had ... it would be easier. You don't have so get past the excuses and make things happen.

workinprogress

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 7, 2015
But what I've read about the body and humans abilities show me that our daily routines and habits make or break us. I am genuinely not trying to make excuses here, but make sure I'm doing my best possible everyday. Currently struggling because I can't do the same thing everyday.

https://instagram.com/p/BHCxaBNjtqU/
What inspired this post in the first place was the above insta video. He explains what I'm trying to get across, and the importance of it better than I can.

If I were you my routine would look like this:
  • 9:30am to 5:30pm (opening the store) 6:30 to 12:01am WORK
  • 6:00am to 12:00 pm WORK 1:00pm to 8:30pm or 3:00 to 8:30pm (closing the store on weekdays)
  • 6:00am to 12:00 pm WORK 1:00pm to 9:30pm or 3:00 to 9:30pm (closing the store on weekends)
  • 11:00am to 6:00pm or 11:00am to 7:00pm (neither opening not closing) 6:30 to 12:01am WORK
If you really want it you will stop using an erratic schedule as an excuse to waste time. Stop thinking if I had ... it would be easier. You don't have so get past the excuses and make things happen.

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013
Split your routines into chunks and slide the chunks around based on your work schedule. Don't think of a routine as something you have to do at a specific time each day but as things you must get done in each free block when you aren't working. Keep the order of said routines inside that block and move the blocks to fit your schedule.

G

GuestUserX09

I agree with @EE7 - There was a time in my life that I followed exact routines, I was very adamant about it.

I find that I get more done by just executing necessary chunks of time. I don't particularly like constricting things to certain exact slots. Sometimes, I work hardest 8PM-1AM other times 6AM-11AM.

I think if you could trust yourself with a 'non routine' you might find it refreshing and even more productive. Along with the job, try mixing and matching, it sounds chaotic but you may find it to feel even more free than what you're currently doing.

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana
When you come home from work, make a healthy dinner, take a nap, work 3-4 hours.

Naps are king.

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
I do some taxi driving time to time. They are always night shifts, but with irregular times, like
4:00 pm-4:00 am or 9:00 pm-6:00 am.

The most important thing is to have a regular sleeping schedule. So even if my shift ended at 4:00 am, I still went to bed everyday 6:30 am and woke up around 2:00 pm

Then you can work your schedule from that, for example:

Wake up at 7:30 am everyday

9:30 day:
it's pretty much just morning routines and to work
Hit the gym after work and work your own business in the evening, if you have time and energy left.
Maybe treat these days as off days from business and don't stress it too much.

10:00 or 11:00 days:
Hit the gym before work and grind on your business after work

1:00pm and 3:00 pm days:
Take a rest day from gym and work on your business before and after work

Go to sleep at 12 pm everyday.

Then you have of course the off days, where you can easily put in at least 6 hours in your business. Or maybe sacrifice one off day for business and work for 12 hours, and then you have the other off day to spend with your friends and family, which is also pretty important.

workinprogress

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 7, 2015
Interesting article. Thank you for the link!

I do some taxi driving time to time. They are always night shifts, but with irregular times, like
4:00 pm-4:00 am or 9:00 pm-6:00 am.

The most important thing is to have a regular sleeping schedule. So even if my shift ended at 4:00 am, I still went to bed everyday 6:30 am and woke up around 2:00 pm

Then you can work your schedule from that, for example:

Wake up at 7:30 am everyday

9:30 day:
it's pretty much just morning routines and to work
Hit the gym after work and work your own business in the evening, if you have time and energy left.
Maybe treat these days as off days from business and don't stress it too much.

10:00 or 11:00 days:
Hit the gym before work and grind on your business after work

1:00pm and 3:00 pm days:
Take a rest day from gym and work on your business before and after work

Go to sleep at 12 pm everyday.

Then you have of course the off days, where you can easily put in at least 6 hours in your business. Or maybe sacrifice one off day for business and work for 12 hours, and then you have the other off day to spend with your friends and family, which is also pretty important.

This is a very good reply, thank you for that! What you've laid out in your comment seems to be something that would work for me. I actually already sleep from 12 to 8 PM basically every night. An erratic sleep schedule had been a problem in my life for years, and I finally fixed that earlier this year. So I beat you to the punch on that one. But I think I just might implement some of your other suggestions. Thanks again!

I agree with @EE7 - There was a time in my life that I followed exact routines, I was very adamant about it.

I find that I get more done by just executing necessary chunks of time. I don't particularly like constricting things to certain exact slots. Sometimes, I work hardest 8PM-1AM other times 6AM-11AM.

I think if youcould trust yourself with a 'non routine' you might find it refreshing and even more productive. Along with the job, try mixing and matching, it sounds chaotic but you may find it to feel even more free than what you're currently doing.

I don't know man, I just feel like with knowing myself, I will F*ck up unless i have some kind of rigid schedule. I usually tend to go the path of least resistance with unstructured time. Used to be video games, then I cut those out. Lately it's just been Netflix and YouTube. Maybe I'm just horribly undisciplined, but that's something I struggle with.

I remember back in my childhood days, before I discovered video games and electronic devices, to where I would spend hours reading with my unstructured free time because it was the most easily accessible form of media for me. I wish I could go back to those days!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013
I don't know man, I just feel like with knowing myself, I will F*ck up unless i have some kind of rigid schedule. I usually tend to go the path of least resistance with unstructured time. Used to be video games, then I cut those out. Lately it's just been Netflix and YouTube. Maybe I'm just horribly undisciplined, but that's something I struggle with.
That's the thing. It isn't your schedule it is your lack of discipline. I used to do the same thing. It didn't matter what routine I had I would always find an excuse to waste hours of time on youtube. My routine was almost an action fake. I would just stop doing anything business or growth related at all the second I got my steps done. I falsely awarded myself for completing that routine when in reality I hadn't accomplished much of anything worthwhile. Having a structured outline isn't going to help you much if you don't have the discipline to follow it in the first place. I wasted way too much time trying to get the little things all lined up and perfect before I started getting down to work.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
You'll get some traction with a system, not a schedule. Your work schedule is dictated, and eventually you'll leave it, but for now, set up triggers and responses. "When I lock the car doors, I hold the key up in the air. When I get back home, I feed the dog before I start dinner." Be really explicit, that way it'll feel 'wrong' if you do something out of order. The time of day doesn't matter - just the order of operations.

workinprogress

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 7, 2015
@workinprogress

If you want people to continue helping be sure to start clicking that "Like/Thanks" button.

Duly noted, and rectified. I forgot about that button for a second. Apologies as I'm newer and still getting accustomed to this forum's culture.
Also MJ was here? He liked that post? That's awesome, and why I love him and his forum!!

Nobody is stopping you but you.
That's the thing. It isn't your schedule it is your lack of discipline. I used to do the same thing. It didn't matter what routine I had I would always find an excuse to waste hours of time on youtube. My routine was almost an action fake. I would just stop doing anything business or growth related at all the second I got my steps done. I falsely awarded myself for completing that routine when in reality I hadn't accomplished much of anything worthwhile. Having a structured outline isn't going to help you much if you don't have the discipline to follow it in the first place. I wasted way too much time trying to get the little things all lined up and perfect before I started getting down to work.

You're right, that was definitely an excuse on my part. I guess what I really meant is that i miss the almout effortless aspect of it back then. In those memories, it didn't take any disciple or effort to just breeze through 500 pages, I just did it. Maybe it's just the rose tinted glasses talking, or a faulty memory, but it just feels different now. And with the amount of stimulation one can get from a smartphone, and all the easier sources of media and entertainment competing for my attention, reading just feels like more of a chore than it used to.

But I think you're right about discipline. That's been an issue with me for years, when it comes to that I am a little bitch. Any good resources on this forum, or maybe a book, on how to build discipline? How did you improve your own discipline? I feel like it's such an abstract concept, I don't know where to start.

G

GuestUserX09

Sounds like you have some years of mindset/growth improvement needed but.. come one, does your brain run you or do you run it?
If you haven't already, I would read "The magic of Thinking Big", "Managing Oneself", and "Think and Grow Rich".

You you can't get passed "knowing yourself to fudge up" I wouldn't do anything else right now but fix that train of thought. That is going to be your biggest problem until fixed. It's all habits, you just think you're a fudge up since that what the accumulation of your habits has brought you in the past. This can be changed with dedicated small efforts, not physically only but in thought too. Also add "The Compound Effect" to that read list.

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013
Duly noted, and rectified. I forgot about that button for a second. Apologies as I'm newer and still getting accustomed to this forum's culture.
Also MJ was here? He liked that post? That's awesome, and why I love him and his forum!!

You're right, that was definitely an excuse on my part. I guess what I really meant is that i miss the almout effortless aspect of it back then. In those memories, it didn't take any disciple or effort to just breeze through 500 pages, I just did it. Maybe it's just the rose tinted glasses talking, or a faulty memory, but it just feels different now. And with the amount of stimulation one can get from a smartphone, and all the easier sources of media and entertainment competing for my attention, reading just feels like more of a chore than it used to.

But I think you're right about discipline. That's been an issue with me for years, when it comes to that I am a little bitch. Any good resources on this forum, or maybe a book, on how to build discipline? How did you improve your own discipline? I feel like it's such an abstract concept, I don't know where to start.

Self discipline was the most difficult thing that I had to learn. I understand that the draw of the distractions in this world can be extremely overwhelming almost like an addiction. I would lose to them every single time - and hate it, yet I kept losing. I began to build habits to the point where the second I opened my eyes in the morning I would open the youtube app on my phone. If i felt even remotely stressed I would shut down, close out the world and open youtube or play video games. I would then get extremely depressed and eventually snap back into reality. This was extremely common and a ton of time was wasted. I realized I was going no where - just stuck in a purgatory of my own making. I hated feeling like a loser and acting like a child. I said F*ck this and I decided to grow up. It hurt bad enough so I changed who I was. Doing this enough I reprogrammed my brain to enjoy being responsible and working on my business. Now when a distraction pops up I ask myself "How will this improve my life?" If the answer is "it really won't" then I don't give it a second thought and move on to something that will. Also note that every time that you give in to the temptations it makes it a trillion times more difficult to change.

or maybe a book, on how to build discipline?
I read many many books on the subject and to be brutally honest they did not help at all. The second the book was done I went back to my old self. This is a change that you must decide to make and put 100% dedication towards it. It is extremely difficult but it can be done.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
My work week looks a little bit like yours and it changes every week ! One thing that works for me. When I'm home by 9.15pm I take my shower, eat a little something, prep my clothes for the next day and go to bed by 10:00pm-10:30pm MAX. I always read before bedtime at least 15 minutes helps me to sleep.
Work 9am = Up by 5:30am.
Work noon = up by 6:30am.
afternoon = up by 6:30-7am as well.

AM routine : I read the news a little bit ( economy,politics ). Take a shower, Go to the gym, Take another shower after the gym. and I have waterproof bluetooth headphones so I can listen tu podcasts under the shower.

Sometimes I don't go to the gym in the AM , I will just take a walk outside and enjoy the calm in a park near-by my home while listening to podcasts or music depends on how I feel.

took me over 2 years to develop this routine and you know what's the funniest : I decided one day that I'll do it and since then I'm doing it. So I was wasting my time the last too years trying to create a perfect routine. The best thing about waking up early is that you have the time to do almost anything since everybody's sleeping !

Hope it helps !

EDIT : I was reading a lot of books and articles about it but the only thing that helped is setting my alarm to the time I want to wake up, make sure I go to bed y 10:30pm MAX and once I'm up I drink a glass of cold water and splash some cold water on my face.
My alarm label is : Be different or remain normal.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
When you come home from work, make a healthy dinner, take a nap, work 3-4 hours.

Naps are king.

You sir obviously can wake up from a nap! My body goes like "Thought we were just going for the 8hs? Oh, f you now"

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Sounds like you have some years of mindset/growth improvement needed but.. come one, does your brain run you or do you run it?
If you haven't already, I would read "The magic of Thinking Big", "Managing Oneself", and "Think and Grow Rich".

You you can't get passed "knowing yourself to fudge up" I wouldn't do anything else right now but fix that train of thought. That is going to be your biggest problem until fixed. It's all habits, you just think you're a fudge up since that what the accumulation of your habits has brought you in the past. This can be changed with dedicated small efforts, not physically only but in thought too. Also add "The Compound Effect" to that read list.

Hey Square, the "Managing Oneself" you're talking about, is that the Harvard Biz Review one? I wanted to pick it up but through the table of contents it looked very focused on corporate environments and that turned me off a bit. What did you think?

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I find myself wasting unacceptable amounts of time sweating the small stuff, and not enough time working on the big picture, side-business-y stuff.
A solid routine isn't the answer if you are unable to deal with whatever it is that is making you "waste time sweating the small stuff". You need to focus on understanding what triggers this response. Keep notes for a week every time you get that urge, write down what triggered it and what you felt at that moment. After a few days, you will see a pattern. THAT is what you need help with.

conquer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Apr 30, 2016
Personal routines can be developed by habit. Develop the habit by working on your Fastlane every day after work. After 1 week it will become a routine.

In my early beginnings I made the same excuse when I spoke to a millionaire.

I said I was working full time, 40 hours. He told me if I wasn't working 80-100 hrs I didn't want it enough.

I would suggest reading "Relentless" by Tim Grover. Don't settle for excuses and cut out any negative influences.

Good luck.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Habits are The Secret of 2016. Stop following fads.

Find a way to add value. Do the work when you are not at your job. That's the only habit you need.

https://instagram.com/p/BHCxaBNjtqU/
What inspired this post in the first place was the above insta video. He explains what I'm trying to get across, and the importance of it better than I can.
LOL.

G

GuestUserX09

@BellaPippin It has a corporate vibe to it at times but it's still at least 80% useful to people outside the cooperate world.. they're big themes that apply to pretty much any individual.

workinprogress

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 7, 2015
Habits are The Secret of 2016. Stop following fads.

Find a way to add value. Do the work when you are not at your job. That's the only habit you need.

LOL.
I don't understand what the LOL is for? Did you watch the video? I know that the Secret Academy thing can be a bit cheesy at times, I mainly keep them in my feed to make still having my Insta worthwhile. That specific channel just puts up good little tidbits from the Secret Academy podcast, which can be inspirational or insightful.

I'm getting much better at controlling and managing my physical body but mentally I'm still all over the place. My thoughts control me, not the other way around. Now I think I'm at least better mentally then where I was, say 2 years ago, but I really need to master that aspect of my life, like you said I know its bringing me down.

I will add those books to my to-read list. Thank you for the recommendations.

A solid routine isn't the answer if you are unable to deal with whatever it is that is making you "waste time sweating the small stuff". You need to focus on understanding what triggers this response. Keep notes for a week every time you get that urge, write down what triggered it and what you felt at that moment. After a few days, you will see a pattern. THAT is what you need help with.

Yeh, I need to get better at journaling my life anyway. God knows I wish i could go back and read about what exactly I was thinking years in the past. I think this would be a good idea to start implementing, thank you.

My work week looks a little bit like yours and it changes every week ! One thing that works for me. When I'm home by 9.15pm I take my shower, eat a little something, prep my clothes for the next day and go to bed by 10:00pm-10:30pm MAX. I always read before bedtime at least 15 minutes helps me to sleep.
Work 9am = Up by 5:30am.
Work noon = up by 6:30am.
afternoon = up by 6:30-7am as well.

AM routine : I read the news a little bit ( economy,politics ). Take a shower, Go to the gym, Take another shower after the gym. and I have waterproof bluetooth headphones so I can listen tu podcasts under the shower.

Sometimes I don't go to the gym in the AM , I will just take a walk outside and enjoy the calm in a park near-by my home while listening to podcasts or music depends on how I feel.

took me over 2 years to develop this routine and you know what's the funniest : I decided one day that I'll do it and since then I'm doing it. So I was wasting my time the last too years trying to create a perfect routine. The best thing about waking up early is that you have the time to do almost anything since everybody's sleeping !

Hope it helps !

EDIT : I was reading a lot of books and articles about it but the only thing that helped is setting my alarm to the time I want to wake up, make sure I go to bed y 10:30pm MAX and once I'm up I drink a glass of cold water and splash some cold water on my face.
My alarm label is : Be different or remain normal.

Thank you for the long comment. Question for you, do you find that altering your sleep schedule based on when you work messes you up? I've heard that you need to have the same go to sleep and wake up time everyday, that was even said earlier in the thread. What are you thoughts on that?

Also, I'm going to steal that alarm label lol.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
workinprogress said:
Thank you for the long comment. Question for you, do you find that altering your sleep schedule based on when you work messes you up? I've heard that you need to have the same go to sleep and wake up time everyday, that was even said earlier in the thread. What are you thoughts on that?

Also, I'm going to steal that alarm label lol.

It does a little bit but it's only for the first few hours then I'm okay.
It really depends on your body though, always listen to your body. My girlfriend can't function with less than 8 hours of sleep per night. I can't function if I sleep more than 8 hours per night.

Also I have realized a few things :

1. No energy drinks or coffee after 4-5pm
2. No electronics once in bed, only books
3. Don't drink too much water or other drinks after 8pm , you might wake up to pee 2-3 times per night. Stay hydrated during your day

On the other hand, do you want it bad enough ? You can look for solutions but the best way is to just wake up and deal with the fact that you will be tired for a few weeks until your body adapts. Sleep at least 5-6 hours per night and if needed take a 45 min nap during the day.
That's how I did it. Now I don't take naps anymore unless REALLY tired.

And if nothing helps, last but not least, watch the Rocky I movie ( and go to bed max 10-10:30pm), put the alarm clock on, set the theme song and you will wake up like a champ. I don't see how someone can not wake up to this song, drink some raw eggs and start off on the right foot.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Whenever you get a free minute do this -
1) Take a sheet of paper
2) Write "One Thing" you are going to do now
3) Make sure this one thing is part of the chunk of work that you plan to execute as part of your business goal (Use Trello to make sure you are on track)
4) Do that One Thing.

Use a pomodoro app if you want more focus.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
If you can find out what your work schedule is beforehand, try time-blocking to work on your one thing.

Pick up " The ONE Thing" and read it, you don't have to be overly self disciplined to achieve your aims & objectives.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Working shifts is the easiest type of schedule to manage. Your routine should consist of planning your weeks when you get your schedule. Put some time in there for the gym, relaxation, sleep and then fill the rest with a to-do list focusing on your business.

I can't see a schedule getting any easier than the one you have to plan your life. I don't know anyone with a 9-5 that actually works 9-5, in retail you at least porbably come in at the time posted and leave at the time posted. With proper planning and since you're working part time, I do not know how a 9-5 would be any easier. You have it made right now to start and expand your fastlane project.

You just gotta do it. Oh and start making your bed in the morning, sets the day up for success.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
I kindly ask you to not suggest talking to my boss to change my schedule, as I have already eliminated that as an option.
Surprised no one commented on this yet. So you tried, but your persuasion/amount of value you provide to the company weren't enough to warrant a simple schedule change? Up both, and then try again with the boss. People are always the best shortcut to what you want.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.