The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you measure opportunity cost?

Anything related to matters of the mind

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
I've realized some of my analysis paralysis comes from weighing opportunity cost. With a few different ideas of what to do, I keep thinking about the potential of each one, and how if I pick and focus on one it will put the others on hold...which leaves me going nowhere.

For example, if I'm thinking between 1) invest in real estate, 2) learning copywriting to start offering it as a business, or 3) creating a new physical product/widget.

Of course, everything has pros and cons, but when faced with a few entirely different choices, how do you choose? How can you measure the opportunity cost of picking one and not the others?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Well... you can do an EV analysis, right? Those three ideas are not the same. They will take a different initial investment, have a different return, and require a different amount of time, and contain a different amount of risk of failure/loss. Thus, the expected value of each of your ideas is likely quite a bit different. If you're emotionally indifferent to which one you run with, just pick the highest EV. Where will you get the most bang for your buck?

Billy at foreverjobless wrote a really great article on how to think about EV, in case you're not familiar with it.

Expected Value: Millionaire's Math

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
That's a great article @Merging Left , thank you!
I've definitely been making many -EV choices...but with some +EV ones here and there :D
I'll think this through, thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.