The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you guys deal with these common sales objections?

Anything related to matters of the mind

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
" I don't want my business to grow, I don't like the idea of added responsibility and having to hire more employees."

"We're already doing pretty good, I understand how you're service can help, but I don't really need it"

Please add any other objections that you guys have encountered

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
what is the conversation like prior to those objections?
let's just assume the conversation went well.

I understand that if a conversation goes really well there will be very few objections if any, but lets just assume here.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
let's just assume the conversation went well.

I understand that if a conversation goes really well there will be very few objections if any, but lets just assume here.
how can anyone help you if we dont even know your sales style?

What's your pitch like?
What questions do you ask prior to asking/getting the sale?
What information have you given them prior to the objection?
How did you even get in front of them?

All these variables and more effect the sale and how the prospect potentially can view you.

The objections you listed are common things people say when they want you to leave them alone.

So the short answer is...you didnt sell them on what you provide.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
" I don't want my business to grow, I don't like the idea of added responsibility and having to hire more employees."

"We're already doing pretty good, I understand how you're service can help, but I don't really need it"

If they dont want to grow, then you can't force them to. Sales isn't hypnosis. I encounter this a lot from small blue collar businesses. And honestly, it's OK for them to do so. Scaling isn't for everyone, some people like a lifestyle business that brings in just enough so they can live. They don't want to hire, they don't want to expand. You can't want more for someone else if they don't want more for themselves.

That being said, before you handle any objections, you must have fulfilled your discovery questions and needs analysis properly. I don't know how experienced you are in sales but just as a general overview, you should be asking and finding out their pain points, something you may focus on versus just "Growth".

If this conversation went something like "Hi, would you like my service? I help you grow" and he/she says "No I dont want to grow. Im good where I am". Well now you have no where to go.

If however, you started a conversation and had him talk and you asked probing questions about how business is doing, what pain points he may have, what's his business process like, etc. You may find out other issues.

Remember folks, PITCH is last. You shouldn't be bursting at the seams waiting to pitch because quite frankly, you may just not be a good fit for them and vice versa. Deal with a nightmare client and the qualification process becomes much more important.

Perhaps instead of growth, he did mention something about inefficiencies or headaches that you can solve. Instead of saying "more money", "more business", emphasize "less work, more time for yourself". It's all about the discovery process.

Not the greatest analogy but since you brought it up, it is still possible to talk to a girl with a boyfriend. The key is to not ask "So, do you have a boyfriend?" right off the bat. Maybe find out who they are as a person first. And sometimes they're just not a good fit anyway.

And lastly, how deep you delve will determine how much time (AND ENERGY) you put into the client. Is this a $500 account (IF they close)?
If so, maybe I might say "Thanks for your time" and move on when I need to hit a quota of $25,000/mo.
Is this client a potential large account? Maybe I press harder.

Advanced sales involves getting them to put all their cards on the table, willingly. So you can..
- Handle objections properly
- Redirect to another pain point
- Not leave any money on the table

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I can't assume the conversation went well because these objections indicate the conversation was a train wreck, even if it was civil and you felt good about it.

Typically, when I blow a deal I can figure out where it went wrong. You can hear where you lose them by the tone in their voice - it's very obvious. I don't bother countering objections they provide, because I know they're not the real issue. The real issue is most often I skipped steps in the cycle and didn't uncover their problem, didn't get them emotional about the problem and then give that faint glimmer of hope that is the service I provide.

Are you working off a script? If not, that's step #0.

Yes, really, a script.

You don't have to go by it verbatim since sometimes people will answer question #10 when you ask question #2, but you have to have a flow and YOU must dictate that flow.

You can't do that without a plan.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Ok then assume the conversation went terrible then.

How would you guys deal with these objections?

Arrived2015

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 30, 2014
England
Are you wanting to generate an objection list here for future use?

My two cents isn't questions I've encountered but two observation with your post.

Objections are usually generated by the way a sales person 'sells' or by not establishing that you are indeed talking with the decision maker.

Have you heard of the saying:
'Climbed the ladder to the top only to discover it was the wrong wall!'

Nothing worse than going through your spiel to hear: "I have to discuss it with {insert decison maker name} because they have the final say/got the money/they are the one in charge of [dept]"

However, all is not lost because an objecting client can still be good for business because the fact they're still talking to you means still interested (you just possibly havent said what they want to hear) and listening carefully then repeating their objecting words back as a question; can assist with removing their objection/block! When they get specific in their answers, you can handle any objections because they have clarified it, in their own words, what they want to hear from you.

Eliminates guess work too by using their words.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
It doesn't seem like anyone is questioning the validity of a well crafted pitch or discovery...

From my understanding, you overcome objections to move the process along and unearth what your pitch missed. Ultimately to find what the client really wants....no?

It's like getting the dreaded, "I have a boyfriend" lol

At least with a client, you can probe and prod before they walk away

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
Ok then assume the conversation went terrible then.

How would you guys deal with these objections?

I wouldn't.

It's like forcing your shaft inside a girl's bahgina after failing to build rapport. Unless you
are paying the girl/client to faq/hire you, learn from the mistakes and make sure the
negotiation sucks less next time.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
A couple of thoughts on this.

Maybe the posters who said that you are failing to tell your story before you get to that point are right. Maybe you are getting this objection because you didn't motivate them. Or, maybe....just maybe.... this is a prospecting issue. Maybe they really don't want their business to grow. It's not as bizarre or uncommon as some of us might think. Like someone already said it's pretty common in small, blue collar businesses. They have a business that works fine now and they don't want any change. They want to work every day and pass the keys to junior in another decade or two. They just are not a customer for your service.

Not everyone reads The Millionaire Fastlane . There are lots of good, honest people who have goals and aspirations that some of us would see as self limiting. They want something less. It's important to not look down on people because they want different and less from life. It's their life. At least they have defined goals which is more than a lot of people have.

I personally know a lot of those people. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of two business owners that I know personally who resist growing their businesses because they like what they have and don't want more employees. Good for them! They know their "why" and they choose their paths.

Sometimes the best thing a salesman can do is close your book, shake their hand thanking them for their time and walk out the door.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Go pick up the book "SPIN Selling". It pretty much addresses how to work through the sales objection process organically and in a value-added way.

The short version: Ask smart questions.

Objection: "I don't like the idea of added responsibility and having to hire more employees." (we're going to assume they didn't actually say they don't want their business to grow, because you can't help that person).

Possible response: "What would having more employees let you accomplish that you struggle with now?"
Possible response: "How often do you find you have to turn down business due to lack of staff or support?"
Possible response: "If having more employees could actually reduce your stress and responsibility instead of adding to it, would that be worth considering?"
Possible response: "How long do you feel you could continue operating this way without growth and still make a living in this competitive environment?"
Possible response: "Is anyone on your staff hungry for more responsibility who might be willing to take this project on for you?"

Selling is all about solving the problems holding the decision maker back from saying "yes".

Costs too much - tell them how it saves them money
No time - tell them how it saves them time
Too complicated - explain how easy it is
Not in the budget - ask if they would be willing to review it again with you at the next budget meeting to put it in next year's budget.

And don't forget - not everyone is a potential customer. If someone doesn't feel the pain point your product is solving or you can't show them how their life will be better with your product/service then you'll have a hell of a time convincing them that they need it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.