The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I source a manufacturer

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
Hey Everyone, so I decided I'd want to execute @Madame Peccato 's Idea on a sound isolating jar to "let it all out".
I decided that the best material for this was acoustic foam, does anyone know a manufacturer that can manufacture such product on demand?

Sorry If I'm really ignorant here, I'm still learning

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
If it were me, I would purchase the foam from a wholesaler/retailer to create your product first. You don't need to source directly from the manufacturer as their MOQ would presumably be way higher than what you would need to start out. If your product works out well and you need to purchase foam at a discount, than sourcing from a manufacturer might be a viable option.

Foam Factory might be what you are looking for to get started.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
You want to make a jar out of acoustic foam?

For what reason? Who wants one of them?

Anyway a standard UK jam jar has a surface area of around 300 sq cms and a 100cm x 100cm sheet of acoustic foam costs £15 so you don't need to be contacting any manufacturer.

Just buy a sheet off of Amazon, or anyone really, and cut a strip, wrap it around a jar and then voila, you'll have a jar no one but you wants.

Dan

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
You want to make a jar out of acoustic foam?

For what reason? Who wants one of them?

Anyway a standard UK jam jar has a surface area of around 300 sq cms and a 100cm x 100cm sheet of acoustic foam costs £15 so you don't need to be contacting any manufacturer.

Just buy a sheet off of Amazon, or anyone really, and cut a strip, wrap it around a jar and then voila, you'll have a jar no one but you wants.

Dan
I would want to be able to do this at scale but actually your right this is a stupid idea I'll go back to the drawing board

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I saw your other thread.

Is your dad against you doing outside work? What did you mean by saying he would not want you cutting lawns?

If you had 10 neighbours for example and did 5 one Saturday and 5 the following Saturday alternating them like that would he object?

When he was your age, many kids in the UK had jobs in Supermarkets in the evenings and Saturday. So why would he be against you doing lets say 4 hours max and get £50 for it?

Dan

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
I saw your other thread.

Is your dad against you doing outside work? What did you mean by saying he would not want you cutting lawns?

If you had 10 neighbours for example and did 5 one Saturday and 5 the following Saturday alternating them like that would he object?

When he was your age, many kids in the UK had jobs in Supermarkets in the evenings and Saturday. So why would he be against you doing lets say 4 hours max and get £50 for it?

Dan
sadly he says he'll be "embarrassed" because hes a doctor or whatever, no idea what he means by that

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
I'm thinking on doing the work in secret on Thursdays (hes at work during that time) since I cannot think of any ideas that don't require investment somewhat

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
What he means is that he has a professional job using his brain not his hands and looks down on manual work.

Let him know that even The Queens grandaughter, who has just finished school, has a part time job in a garden centre.

I bet your dad would be telling all of his friends how you work with Lady Louise Windsor if you happened to have a part time job sweeping the rose petals off of the floor and lifting bags of rotted manure out of the van onto the shelves like she does.

Dan

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Just to butt in here but...

Why pay for a screaming jar when one could just use a local pillow?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
On long road trips when my children were young, we had a system that broke through their boredom, and we didn't need a soundproof container because we were driving along in one - our car.

When I gave the signal we all screamed or yelled at the highest volume we could manage. The sound was deafening, but it passed quickly and all felt relieved.

Walter

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Hey Everyone, so I decided I'd want to execute @Madame Peccato 's Idea on a sound isolating jar to "let it all out".
I decided that the best material for this was acoustic foam, does anyone know a manufacturer that can manufacture such product on demand?

Sorry If I'm really ignorant here, I'm still learning
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you have an idea you want to test. As others have mentioned, it may be best to do something "homemade" first before investing in some serious manufacturing.

HERE is a post I made that may help you with creating and testing the product. You may even find it productive to read the whole thread.

By the sounds of it, your product should be very easy to DIY up to an acceptable standard to be able to test something right away. Don't wait. Start testing. Hopefully you have something in your hand by next week!

Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Seeing this thread has prompted me to post something to try to reduce the growing number of requests I am getting to help members with sourcing. I have been a soft touch, helping when asked but it is taking up too much of my time.

I became overburdened likewise in 2019 and so I suggest that if anyone has seriously tried sourcing without success, they should search for Walter Hay's Sourcing Service.

You should find a post recounting a sourcing project to find a product that did not exist. I include it because it could provide encouragement to those who find sourcing difficult.

Walter

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.