The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your company is a manufacturing company

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
After reading “The Goal”, a great book about manufacturing, I realized that many of the systems and “machines” in my own company could use the same application of principles to grow and operate at optimum total efficiency.

Here’s the thing, our company mows lawns. What does that have to do with manufacturing?

In manufacturing, there are separate machines that process materials along a chain, and at the end of it pops out the finished product.

In my company, we process leads. We call them, qualify them, schedule quotes, sign them up, onboard them, and visit them by adding more crews, trucks and trailers operated by trained employees. You could argue that my company “manufactures” signed up customers that get visits.

Each of these steps is a “machine”.

In the book, it discusses a few terms.

Throughput
Inventory
Operational expense

It also discusses two principles

Statistical fluctuations
Dependent events

If you have 2 machines processing 10 parts per hour and 1 machine processing 5 parts per hour, and the slow machine is at the end, your plant will only fully produce at 5 parts per hour or less, depending on defects and down time.

If you let all machines run, you will pile up inventory, raise carrying costs, and still be not productive as a whole. This slow machine is your bottleneck.

The slow machine needs to be operated at all times, improved to remove the bottleneck, and should have quality control beforehand to make sure it’s not wasting its capacity on defective products in order to maximize total productive efficiency of the plant.

If you place the bottleneck at the beginning, you keep inventory to a minimum and only run the other machines as needed. This is better.

What’s best is to use different methods to fix bottlenecks.

If your machines have statistical fluctuations and each following stage is dependent on the previous stage, you will only produce not only as little as the efficiency of the worst machine, but only so much as the worst of the fluctuations. If the slow machine has down time, now you’re really behind.

The total output of the actual plant that actually produces income is called the throughput. The stored up stuff in between stages is inventory.

The operational expenses are what you spend for all of these things to happen.

Looking at my company that manufactures signed up customers getting visits, here are our “machines”.

1. Lead generation either through Facebook messages or leads, site form submissions, or inbound calls
  2. Phone calls to schedule quotes (inbound and outbound)
  3. Office outbound call to further qualify leads, organize based on location, and set expectations with terms (year long contract, 12 payments, services and answering questions). Possible online quote given for simple properties.
  4. In person quotes with salespeople or managers
  5. Onboarding (charging, billing, assigning visit dates)
  6. Adding crews by purchasing trucks, trailers and equipment
  7. Adding crews by hiring and training employees
  8. Adding storage lot spaces
Here are examples of inventory

Too many leads to call
Too many scheduled quotes to call back and further qualify
Too many fully qualified scheduled quotes to actually give in person quotes to
Too many signups to onboard
Too many onboarded signups to visit because of lack of trucks
Too many trucks with not enough trained workers to fill them and mow lawns
Too many crews with not enough storage lot spaces

All leading to wasted ad spend. It's customers we can't signup and service because we dropped the ball somewhere along the chain.

If we want to add 4 crews, we will need at least 4 more lot spaces (maybe there’s limits to the place we use or availability issues), we need to hire and train the 8 workers, we need the 4 trucks, trailers and sets of equipment, we need to onboard the customers by charging them and selecting visit dates, we need to sign them up by giving quotes, we have to call the quotes to actually qualify them and explain the details of the terms and the nuances of our services, we need our outbound sales service to call them to initially lightly qualify the fresh leads, and we need to actually get the leads in the first places.

If we get a bunch of leads but any of those other things is a bottleneck, we are wasting money. Maybe we aren’t calling them back soon enough. Maybe we can’t schedule enough quotes and are booked out. Maybe we can’t buy another truck. Maybe we can’t hire enough people. Maybe we can’t train them. Maybe there’s no more room to store the trucks for now.

These things all are also subject to being limited by statistical fluctuations. If we can hire a new person every week maximum on average. That means sometimes we could hire 2, but sometimes we could not get any new hires for 2 weeks, as an example. So not only would we be limited to only being able to hire only 1 a week, it could actually be worse than that.

If we could only call 10 people a day on the quote schedule to further qualify them, and on average 20% of them are not good fits and we don’t go through with quoting, then some days statistical fluctuations could add up, and we would only be able to do 8, and 30% of them could be bad leads. So we would only get out to 5-6 quotes. And if we usually signup half of quotes, on a bad day for the 5-6 we could only signup 2. So even though we theoretically could call 10, actually visit 7, and signup 3-4, we would only get 2. That isn’t even factoring in fluctuations in leads, amount of fresh leads that want to schedule quotes, etc. It could be much worse and end up being no signups in a single day, even though we should be able to do much more.

My goal, as a manager of my “manufacturing plant”, is to find bottlenecks, mitigate them, reduce statistical fluctuations, and minimize the negative effects of different dependent events in order to maximize throughput.

In the situation of adding 4 crews, I work backwards. Do we have the space? Can we train the employees? Can we buy the trucks?

It’s about 400 customers to do this. Over a 20 week sales period of 5 days a week, that’s 100 days so 4 signups per day. Factoring statistical fluctuations we need a capacity of 6-8 signups per day. I would have one full time salesperson dedicated to just that one location we want to add the 4 crews to.

A capacity of 6-8 signups means we would need at least 16 quotes or more on the schedule that are fully qualified. That means we would need at least 20 per day that are initially scheduled by our outbound sales service. This means we will need roughly 40 leads per day coming in.

If we can spend $150 in ads and marketing to acquire a customer without it getting too expensive, as long as that’s our true cost per signup, and if we are assuming about a 20% conversion rate for all leads. We can spend 20% of $150 for a lead. That’s $30. So we need to spend $30 a lead and hit the above metrics, and that means after all the statistical fluctuations we would spend $600 a day on average.

But we would not be at capacity for many of our “machines”, doing so would cause waste since fluctuations would cause problems. So we would only do partial capacity for many of the systems and would achieve are goal costs for each new customer and signup our 4 customers a day on average and hit our 4 new crews.

This explained why we never got our ideal number of signups that we had capacity for, and now I’m able to look at our entire system of bottlenecks and address them logically.

What you should do in your business:

Look at each stage as a machine in a plant that can operate at a certain capacity. Where is the bottleneck? As you scale, how will different "machines" turn into bottlenecks next for you. How will you raise capacity in those machines and manage your processes to avoid excess inventory and loss/delays from other machines that have a higher capacity earlier on in the chain? Apply the concepts of dependent events and statistical fluctuations as well.

You can turn this into a flow chart of different "machines". Take notes on the potential productive capacity of each one and identify where you have problems. Prioritize these bottleneck machines and how to fix them into your daily schedule.

Now you have quantified your business in a much more clear way, and have a precise method of attacking problems and scaling your company.

What we have just recently done in our business to work on this.

Biggest bottlenecks: amount of leads coming in that we can acquire for a good cost. Calling all leads back quick enough. Salespeople to meet with customers for quotes.

If we remove those constraints, and have unlimited leads, can call them all back instantly, and have enough salespeople to meet with all of them in person, we only run into the question of how many trucks we can get. Our franchisees can get the trucks just fine, so we are not that worried about removing constraints beyond that for now.

We are hiring and onboarding people/agencies to help us generate much more leads for a great price.

We have hired an outbound sales service called HelloSells that calls lead submissions back within 3 minutes who will qualify our leads and set in person appointments with them. So we could literally have 1000 people submit their info on our website in a day and they would be getting called back within a few minutes and getting their quote scheduled.

We have made our sales process simple for anyone we hire. So they would be able to use our pricing formulas to simply come up with a price themselves and use our forms to sign them up. They will have brochures with answers to 90% of the questions we get so there's very little opportunity for any salesperson to give them bad answers. The only thing they need to do is be somewhat charismatic. So it will be very easy to hire on the couple of salespeople we need to be giving a ton of quotes every day in person.

This way, we are mitigating the effects of previous bottlenecks, and giving ourselves a better chance at scaling even faster.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Another important note about statistical fluctuations is when we are filling our schedule.

Employees don't show up to work all the time. They get sick, their kids get sick, their car broke down, etc. Things happen.

When you start off, you have few employees. When these things happen, you go from having 100% of your workforce to having 50% of your workforce all at once. Maybe one of your workers crashes his motorcycle (happened to my employee last week!), now he's out for a whole week or more. Maybe someone quits.

How can you fill your schedule up to 100% capacity if it's almost a guarantee that eventually you will have less than 100% of employees working? It's impossible.

You can offer overtime, and expect some employees to be willing to come in on saturday to pick up the slack. We do that and it can work.

But, a benefit of scaling is that with more employees you can expect a certain amount of them to be gone on any given day.

With 100 employees, someone's going to be missing everyday. It evens out. You can fill your capacity to almost exactly that amount and you won't have extra employees, but will still be getting all of the work done with a very very low percentage of any leftovers or delays.

There's many statistical fluctuations in the performance of our services. Employees showing up. Machinery functioning properly. The weather affecting the length of the grass, and how long it takes to mow in the rain. First-visit customers with lots of crap to clean up the first couple of visits. Etc. So many things. You have to account for that and give yourself room. Don't be calculating using ideals and full capacities all the time. Understand fluctuations and how to manage them.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Thanks for taking the time to write this out. This just helped me look at my business from another perspective and see the big constraint that prevents us from making significant money.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Definitely notable. Thanks.

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016
Another important note about statistical fluctuations is when we are filling our schedule.

Employees don't show up to work all the time. They get sick, their kids get sick, their car broke down, etc. Things happen.

When you start off, you have few employees. When these things happen, you go from having 100% of your workforce to having 50% of your workforce all at once. Maybe one of your workers crashes his motorcycle (happened to my employee last week!), now he's out for a whole week or more. Maybe someone quits.

How can you fill your schedule up to 100% capacity if it's almost a guarantee that eventually you will have less than 100% of employees working? It's impossible.

You can offer overtime, and expect some employees to be willing to come in on saturday to pick up the slack. We do that and it can work.

But, a benefit of scaling is that with more employees you can expect a certain amount of them to be gone on any given day.

With 100 employees, someone's going to be missing everyday. It evens out. You can fill your capacity to almost exactly that amount and you won't have extra employees, but will still be getting all of the work done with a very very low percentage of any leftovers or delays.

There's many statistical fluctuations in the performance of our services. Employees showing up. Machinery functioning properly. The weather affecting the length of the grass, and how long it takes to mow in the rain. First-visit customers with lots of crap to clean up the first couple of visits. Etc. So many things. You have to account for that and give yourself room. Don't be calculating using ideals and full capacities all the time. Understand fluctuations and how to manage them.
I read the goal 3 times it is a very good book is in my top 3. Applying this for a service business isnt easy but you did a good job !

You have an outbound sales partner that handles the incoming leads on your website.
Maybe they can also qualify and close the
leads ? And put them in your software ? This is something i am considering. The only thing that holds me back is giving up control to another company...

What are your thoughts ?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I read the goal 3 times it is a very good book is in my top 3. Applying this for a service business isnt easy but you did a good job !

You have an outbound sales partner that handles the incoming leads on your website.
Maybe they can also qualify and close the
leads ? And put them in your software ? This is something i am considering. The only thing that holds me back is giving up control to another company...

What are your thoughts ?

“Can you guys move a bush from one side of my lawn to the other?”

“Can I pay with a check?”

“I’m 76 years old just come look at it in person”

“What do you guys do during November? I live in Salt Lake City”

“Why should I signup for a 12 month plan”

“How do you treat the weeds that are in the grass?”

“I have Kentucky bluegrass, you guys know how to take care of that right?”

Plus a million and more things.

I would never expect some random remote person working for a 3rd party answering service to handle that stuff well.

Here’s what they will be responsible for.

“Hello I saw you submitted your info and want a quote. You need recurring lawn care maintenance correct? Okay great we will schedule you a quote tomorrow does 4-5 pm work? Okay great I’ll just take down your info and our sales manager will handle everything”

(Insert random questions from lead)

“I just set appointments our office manager has all of the answers I’ll have them give you a call to answer that for you, as of now we have you down for the in person appointment at 4 tomorrow”.

We have the fast 3rd party service turn them into quotes, then we have the office call later and handle the finer points. That’s when we explain our services, explain our contract and cancellation fee, and confirm they understand it’s a 12 month agreement.

The schedulers can integrate with crms and calendly and we will have them do that so the quotes will be assigned to the right salesperson based on which zip code they’re in.

Customer experience is most important.

I want to run many tens of thousands of dollars of ads a month.

I want everyone to see our stuff so we can solve more peoples problems.

I want every single interested person to be contacted with a phone call within 3-4 minutes.

I want every single scheduled quote to be on the phone with a highly trained highly personable person who knows our company inside and out so that each quote we give is practically already excited to signup.

I want sales appointments to be effortless. Remote if the property is stupid simple. And in person of the property needs to be looked at with detailed notes taken.

I want salespeople to give a great presentation and give accurate pricing figures so there’s little opportunity for charging too much or too little.

I want people to be able to signup quickly instantly, or have the option to signup later with a simple link to the signup form sitting in their email and phone inbox.

I want people who signup to get their contract pdf in their email instantly, created as a user in our app automatically, and get auto billing setup right away.

I want new signups to get their first visit in a week with their visits to already contain all of the important visit notes for our employees to see and take care of.

I want customers to be able to submit requests through our app 24/7 or to be able to call and quickly get ahold of a knowledgeable and helpful service rep who can take care of their issues with little to no time spent on hold.

I want the employees showing up to be all trained to do things the same way, no subcontractors.

Etc.

Focus on making it great from the perspective of the customer.

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016
Thanks for the great answer
People like you are taking this forum to another level.
You are truly a legendary contributor.

You are right,
Speed combined with a great customer experience is a winner. And a set up like this will set you apart from 98% of other service businesses.

If you are able to contact a lead in 3/4 minutes they are going to be impressed.

I am going to implement your strategy myself.
I found a company that charges 700 € per month fixed fee. 24/24 7 days

(And charges 0.035 cent per second if they are on the phone for 1 minute it costs 2.1 euro )
I think i am going to let them handle basic customer questions like

can you change our adress

.. .

For the stage that i am in this will cost me +- 2500 euro per month. But currently i am taking all the phones myself. So this will be money well spend.
And this will be one bottleneck less !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.