The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I inspire my son to follow the fastlane?

Ashish Kulkarni

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2018
Stirling, UK
I am still new on the road to the fastlane. I am still on the sidewalk but now my eyes are open to my reality.

My son is doing engineering. And I want to inspire him to follow the fastlane in his early 20s rather than getting to my age and realise that life could have been so much more.

How do I do that?

Has anyone else faced similar situation? What did you do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Give him biographies of winners. Inspiration is more powerful than being told what to do.

If he's a nerd give him the biography of Tesla too. That'll warn him.
Nikola Tesla had these wild ideas of wireless electricity. Phones would be wireless. Lights would be wireless. Electrical Power would be wireless. In fact, he built a wireless controlled boat. Unfortunately he ran out of money and lived in hotels until he died.

He had this big rivalry with Thomas Edison. Even though he worked for Edison for a bit. But afterwards they had a falling out so he started doing his own research.

Nikola Tesla claimed that his virginity helped with his creativity in cmoingup with new inventions.

Last edited:

Ashish Kulkarni

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2018
Stirling, UK
Nikola Tesla had these wild ideas of wireless electricity. Phones would be wireless. Lights would be wireless. Electrical Power would be wireless. In fact, he built a wireless controlled boat. Unfortunately he ran out of money and lived in hotels until he died.

He had this big rivalry with Thomas Edison. Even though he worked for Edison for a bit. But afterwards they had a falling out so he started doing his own research.

Nikola Tesla claimed that his virginity helped with his creativity in cmoingup with new inventions.

From what I have heard, Edison claimed fame and fortune for many of Tesla's inventions.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
From what I have heard, Edison claimed fame and fortune for many of Tesla's inventions.
He did. Tesla's AC is far better than Edison's DC. The thing is that Edison had money to market his DC electricity. Which is why every place on this planet today uses DC current.

The Power of Marketing

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I am still new on the road to the fastlane. I am still on the sidewalk but now my eyes are open to my reality.

My son is doing engineering. And I want to inspire him to follow the fastlane in his early 20s rather than getting to my age and realise that life could have been so much more.

How do I do that?

I just shared resources and mine just followed by example. I didn't have to do anything. I just shared stuff out of here.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
He did. Tesla's AC is far better than Edison's DC. The thing is that Edison had money to market his DC electricity. Which is why every place on this planet today uses DC current.
The Power of Marketing
Um, no. Battery-powered stuff is DC, because batteries are inherently DC. But electrical outlets in every country in the world (as far as I know anyway) are AC. The technical advantages of AC won out over Edison's marketing.

@Ashish Kulkarni, lead by example. If he sees you succeeding he is a lot more likely to follow. But he has to WANT to. The desire has to come from inside. If his personality is not wired for it, he's not likely to do it.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Thanks @GoGetter24. I think I may buy him TMF and Unscripted for his birthday.
Many samples are better than one. Just one author or one book isn't enough, because it doesn't indicate general patterns vs one man's personal experience & interpretation of it.

Biographies are my favourite type of book. What you realize after reading so many is that every winner did exactly the same thing. Every one of them behaved in the same fundamental way. Sure, they did different plays. Branson did business generally, Gates did computers, Musk did internet, Stallone did acting, Robbins did psychology. But the principle mindsets and behaviours were all the same.

That's the lesson you take away from them. That's pure inspiration.

Best to drop them in context though. Otherwise it's just "dad imposing something on me".

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Um, no. Battery-powered stuff is DC, because batteries are inherently DC. But electrical outlets in every country in the world (as far as I know anyway) are AC. The technical advantages of AC won out over Edison's marketing.
Yeah guys, this is the topic. This is what matter's here.

But for trivia purposes: High-voltage direct current - Wikipedia

vshetty.vs

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 11, 2014
Pune
I agree with @GoGetter24 and @garyfrits. Going Fastlane is not easy, HE has to want it more than anything else.

I am probably not the best example because I am have not yet reached my Fastlane destination but the road to it is pretty crappy.

I spend 12 hours a day at my job and my weekends are consumed freelancing and growing my business.

If your son starts working on his business just because you told him so, he is going to give in to his failures or worse he'll stay a WANTRAPRENEUR.

I think you should gift him the TMF and let MJ's words do the rest.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016

How do I do that?

Be an example, actions speak louder than words, no I've never been in your shoes.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
How old is he? Early 20's?
Start a side business with him and let him work with you in it and see that you can make money that is not directly tied to your time.
Pull, don't push. Bread crumbs. See if he will follow the trail.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I start with bigger ideas for my own son... things like, "Work hard, but don't work your whole life away." I want him to realize there's more to life than being a job slave.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I don't know what kind of person your son is. I have no idea what his interests or aspirations are.

Does he feel like he's wasting his potential? Has he expressed that he wants more out of life, or is the entrepreneur path something you're pushing onto him?

Maybe his dream is to be an engineer.

Why don't YOU focus on YOUR goals, and BE the inspiration?

Your attitude in your post is one of personal regret. You haven't lived up to your potential so you fear that for your son. Maybe he's doing exactly what he loves, and wouldn't want anything more.

Ashish Kulkarni

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2018
Stirling, UK
How old is he? Early 20's?
Start a side business with him and let him work with you in it and see that you can make money that is not directly tied to your time.
Pull, don't push. Bread crumbs. See if he will follow the trail.

@ZCP he will be 21 in September.

In my life, I have made a number of mistakes. I want him to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.

One thing I am proud of is supporting him through his education so that he will pass out without any debt.

@Ninjakid you are correct. I have a few regrets. But I am thankful to be where I am now - on this forum.

Life is not going to change in one day. I simply want to make sure that I stay on the right path.

My son is a perfectionist. Whenever he picks up a task, you can be assured that it will be done to the best possible outcome.

He is currently in 4th year of Architectural Engineering with one more year to go after this.

He is too focused on trying to get a job. But at the same time, he feels that he will not feel fulfilled in a job.

I suggested that he look at designing buildings that will have zero carbon footprint and reduce energy consumption by 10 to 15 percent.

He is capable of it. And 10 to 15 percent reduction in energy consumption will be massive. But he doesn't see how that can be retrofit into existing buildings.

I know it's a challenge. But that will very likely make him a millionaire - or more.

I wish he could see what he is capable of from my eyes.

I will do my best to inspire him.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
@Ninjakid you are correct. I have a few regrets. But I am thankful to be where I am now - on this forum.

Life is not going to change in one day. I simply want to make sure that I stay on the right path.
If you ever feel like you're straying from your path, come to the forum and read success stories of people here. It will keep you inspired and motivated.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Ask him something he wants to buy. Stake him with an investment fund. He cannot touch the original principal. He can keep any gains.

Help him find opportunities w/ local arbitrage, buy/sell, funds, small business, etc.

They need to see that the script is not the only option. Push too hard and he will be too busy.

Also, show him your gains from passive income. I took my youngest to see Tom Brady (his hero) play in front row seats. Told him next time he buys the tickets and I'll cover the airfare. Now he is working on a lawn mowing business w/ a buddy.

Ashish Kulkarni

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2018
Stirling, UK
If you ever feel like you're straying from your path, come to the forum and read success stories of people here. It will keep you inspired and motivated.

@Ninjakid thankfully, I am not straying. Not now. I have only recently found TMF and Unscripted . I feel that life makes sense for the first time.

I will keep reading the success stories.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

How do I do that?

Don't think you can... as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...

Maybe he needs a thankless job for a few years, that might open his eyes.

What we seek here isn't for everyone. Many people are perfectly happy living the SCRIPT they've been given.

For most, you can't warn that the fire is hot, they need to feel the burn for themselves.

Ashish Kulkarni

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2018
Stirling, UK
Don't think you can... as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...

Maybe he needs a thankless job for a few years, that might open his eyes.

What we seek here isn't for everyone. Many people are perfectly happy living the SCRIPT they've been given.

For most, you can't warn that the fire is hot, they need to feel the burn for themselves.

Thanks @MJ DeMarco. Ironically, I feel responsible for giving him the script. I will wait for him to open his eyes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.