The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I deal with "Fastlane haters"?

Anything related to matters of the mind

T. Davis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Nov 24, 2021
When I read something life changing, the first thing I want to do is tell the people I care about. I want them to benefit too.

So I told my dad about Millionaire Fastlane and offered to buy him a copy. He refused and is now advising me to read books like Rich Dad, Poor Dad (which I've read and didn't find helpful) and 4 Hour Workweek (which I found somewhat helpful). He says MJ is a charlatan.

Anyway, I guess I just wonder how other folks on this forum are managing "Fastlane haters" in their lives. It's not going to change how I feel or act but it makes me kind of sad that they aren't even willing to open their minds to new possibilities.

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
I used to be this way, but then realized that most people won’t care or be interested.

I don’t deal nor “manage” them.
Why waste your time?

I keep it a secret. It’s not one of my conversational topics.

Whoever wants to know more about my business - will ask. If they want to know how - I’ll suggest the book.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
I don't even talk to most people about it anymore. Especially not the older baby boomer generation. Their brains are totally fried from TV, alcohol, caffeine and sugar. Not to mention they grew up on easy street, in terms of financial opportunities. Most of them never had any reason to consider anything other than being an employee, they could live a very comfortable lifestyle and still save for retirement. My generation is only so interested in entrepreneurship because they realize they will never be able to have freedom or retirement from a modern wage position.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
A couple of weeks ago I met up with a few old college buddies - they were all complaining about rents, inflation, money, etc. At the same time shit-talking their jobs plus discussing all the parties/festivals & stimmy gifts they gave themselves.

I didn't really have much positive to contribute to most of the conversation... Eventually, they asked me why I was so quiet I asked them something along the lines of "Why if you know inflation is a problem; if you are struggling with bills are you only spending so much partying? Why are you trashing your jobs without a plan to do something different?"

They treated my questions as an attack. They started pressing into me about what I've been up to so I told them... business, working my a$$ off at my 9-5 & investing in real estate.

Quickly, the conversation became them vs me. It was more adversarial than anything, for no good reason.

Luckily, over the past 3-4 years I've had nothing but support in my ambitions. This was the first time that I truly experienced what you may call 'fastlane haters'.

What I did and what I suggest you do is stand up, walk away and never look back. Keep executing, keep growing & keep on the fastlane.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Actually, I recall one them was looking for a new place to rent. Maybe I should shoot him the listing I posted for my new property? :smuggy:

T. Davis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Nov 24, 2021
They treated my questions as an attack.
It does feel adversarial. But I guess it makes sense. It's hard when someone asks us to question our deeply held beliefs.

So I'll just keep to myself. I'm loving my work and my goals and will take joy in that.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
When I read something life changing, the first thing I want to do is tell the people I care about. I want them to benefit too.

So I told my dad about Millionaire Fastlane and offered to buy him a copy. He refused and is now advising me to read books like Rich Dad, Poor Dad (which I've read and didn't find helpful) and 4 Hour Workweek (which I found somewhat helpful). He says MJ is a charlatan.

Anyway, I guess I just wonder how other folks on this forum are managing "Fastlane haters" in their lives. It's not going to change how I feel or act but it makes me kind of sad that they aren't even willing to open their minds to new possibilities.

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't worry what he thinks.

Telling someone instead of doing the work can be seen as proselytizing and isn't going to do much of anything. If you go do whatever you're going to do and make it work, people will pay more attention to you. But most still will not. People want to live their lives their way. Most don't want to do all the work required to start a business. You've told him about it, but you don't have to sell him.

MJ's books are great. You'll learn a lot. He and his books are very highly thought of. He has a great perspective.

Your dad will believe in something you're doing once you do it and honestly, it might not be the path he wants to take.

If he's a Kiyosaki fan, then Kiyosaki has said before that business is too hard for most people and that they should stick to real estate. Maybe your dad is hanging his feelings on that. Whatever. It's all personal choice. Pick good stuff from good authors.

If you are on the fence, here's a few perspectives on TMF and some others:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx2vyi4JcV0&ab_channel=AliAbdaal

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vQcNpbWnQI&ab_channel=LikeFather%2CLikeSon%3F-ByMarkTilbury

Focus on you and your work. Anything else can be fatal to your business. It's a needless distraction.

T. Davis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Nov 24, 2021
I wouldn't worry what he thinks.

Telling someone instead of doing the work can be seen as proselytizing and isn't going to do much of anything.
Thanks for this. I'm better at "doing" than "telling" anyway. :)

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Thanks in advance.
All books are just the beginning of your learning and work.

For 'haters', I simply just edge away from both family and friends that make much negative noise and find like-minded folks on my own. That means for the latter...I speak less to the former...I go to less family gatherings. I don't talk much about my work or books I read unless they have demonstrated an open mind for it.

I have become more convinced that the adage 'blood is thicker than water' can be debunked...as very often, it is strangers who will support your growth and learning more whole-heartedly than loved ones. Which is what I see daily on this Forum.

A couple of weeks ago I met up with a few old college buddies - they were all complaining about rents, inflation, money, etc. At the same time shit-talking their jobs plus discussing all the parties/festivals & stimmy gifts they gave themselves.

I didn't really have much positive to contribute to most of the conversation... Eventually, they asked me why I was so quiet I asked them something along the lines of "Why if you know inflation is a problem; if you are struggling with bills are you only spending so much partying? Why are you trashing your jobs without a plan to do something different?"

They treated my questions as an attack. They started pressing into me about what I've been up to so I told them... business, working my a$$ off at my 9-5 & investing in real estate.

Quickly, the conversation became them vs me. It was more adversarial than anything, for no good reason.

Luckily, over the past 3-4 years I've had nothing but support in my ambitions. This was the first time that I truly experienced what you may call 'fastlane haters'.

What I did and what I suggest you do is stand up, walk away and never look back. Keep executing, keep growing & keep on the fastlane.
This reminds me of a church college youth fellowship meeting I went to a few days ago.

In the Christmas reflections, I told everyone that as young folks, we need to be more educated in finances and careers (entrepreneurship or otherwise). This was something the religious community as a whole was lagging behind in.

They hummed and hawed...and said stuff like 'church isn't the place for it' and 'give our problems to God'.

In history, the pioneers of the missionary movement were mostly workplace ministers. They worked in plain sight...why not today?

Hearing the rest of the chat, it appeared that most of them were just planning on hunkering down wherever they are -- without working to better themselves to pull out of poverty.

If it were not for a good few seniors in the group, I would not have kept up with that fellowship.
I started counting how many college-aged folks I'd love to be close with...and found very little. More and more my preferred networking is with 30-50 year olds who already got their careers or businesses up and about, or retired recently.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Feb 8, 2019

Thanks in advance.

I personally don't think that there are any "Fastlane Haters". If people defend Rich Dad, Poor Dad or whatever they show that they have an ideology problem.

Either you take some valuable information out of those books or not. Your business wouldn't run more successfully if you prefer to be on the RDPD Site. Since most of the people have the biggest problem to run ANY successful business. If people make one book or one idea behind this book to the centre of their life, they have an ideology problem.

I put myself far out of the window and say that most of those "be successful books" have nothing to do with the real daily business. And since you use the term "Fastlane Haters" you seem to have the same ideology problem like them.

When it comes to money your primarily goal should be making money. Ideology is for the weak and insecure. It gives them the stability to do something right in their life, if they follow the rules.

Caution: This is not an argument to have no moral system in business. This is a whole different story.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Thanks in advance.

If I'm a charlatan, I must be the worst charlatan that ever lived. And a huge failure at it.

Charlatans don't usually monetize their scams with the ultimate goal of fleecing somebody out of measly twenty bucks.

No, charlatans monetize their fleecing operations through $20K seminars, $15K courses, and $10K
"coaching" plans ... kinda like the guy he recommended.

:rofl:

Fortune.png

As for the original question, WHY do you have to deal with haters? You ignore them and get them out of your sphere. You get them out of your influence.

FOCUS ON YOU.

Stop trying to convince those who are already dead, but not buried. The only way to convince "doubters" is to make it done.

As I mentioned in The Great Rat Race Escape , Done Kills Doubt.

TheGreatRatRaceEscape-DoneKillsDoubt.jpg
That said, thanks for sharing your struggle. You are not alone!

T. Davis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Nov 24, 2021
If I'm a charlatan, I must be the worst charlatan that ever lived. And a huge failure at it.

Charlatans don't usually monetize their scams with the ultimate goal of fleecing somebody out of measly twenty bucks.

No, charlatans monetize their fleecing operations through $20K seminars, $15K courses, and $10K
"coaching" plans ... kinda like the guy he recommended.
Honestly, when he said "charlatan", it made me realize just how good your ideas are.

You know who else was called a charlatan? Everyone who was ahead of their time!

It's just a bummer because my dad IS an entrepreneur (sort of a "build it and they will come" entrepreneur) but normally we have great fun talking about ideas and strategies.

Anyway, I won't let it get to me. Thanks!!

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Sometimes people get their significance in life by having the "right answer" ... and everything else is wrong.

Maybe his way of showing love was to give you this "right answer" and by you introducing something else you took away his only way of showing love. All communication is either a loving response or a cry for help.

The way you can respond? Empathy.

You know the truth.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Thanks in advance.
First- The irony to his misconception is that RDPD and 4 Hour Workweek are both different applications of entrepreneurship. It is entrepreneurship all the same.

He refused a copy of a book based on its name, judging its content without even reading it. If he is predisposed to entrepreneurship, he would probably agree with everything MJ wrote.

That was a douchey move on his part. You read it. You know what's in it. Control, Entry, Need, Time and Scale. Wow, "super charlatany," not.

Second- There will be a lot of people on this road that, out of jealousy, or fear for their own comparison to you, that will take on the role of "hater." Jealousy is a growing trend in the world that we live in. It's stupid of you to even try before you make it... Then when you do, of course, you got lucky. They do this to make themselves feel better about not making a bigger effort in life. It threatens their comfort to look at someone's effort, know they could probably do the same, but don't want to. In short, you starting a business bruises their ego, which makes them pathetic.

Last edited:

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
He refused a copy of a book based on its name, judging its content without even reading it. If he is predisposed to entrepreneurship, he would probably agree with everything MJ wrote.

Fair, I don't know if I would have read the fastlane based on the title. I read Unscripted first which resonated with me a lot more than fastlane did at the time.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Thanks in advance.
Is your Dad a successful multi-millonaire?
Is he exactly who you want to become and is already doing what you want to do?

if either is no, then just use the information he gives you with a caveat that 'he has no idea, and i can still learn something from him'.

Unlike fox news, not everything has to be all in or all out. gather ALL the info and make your own decision.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Fair, I don't know if I would have read the fastlane based on the title. I read Unscripted first which resonated with me a lot more than fastlane did at the time.
I found the forum first, and then read the books.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

Thanks in advance.
I find it interesting tbh that he calls MJ a charlatan but not Robert Kiyosaki lol. Anyways, in terms of fastlane haters, I've definitely had people call me delusional, silly, unrealistic, work my way up the corporate ladder, and who knows who else people have said behind my back, etc (maybe it's true lol) but I honestly don't give much thought to it cause I've got my own ideas on what I want to do. It goes in through one ear and out through the other. Of course constructive criticism is a different thing, if they are providing me feedback on where I can improve then I listen to that.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Is your dad rich? If not, why worry what he thinks or says?

Everyone has an opinion but they’re not all equal. Maybe your parents have a great relationship - take advice about love from them then.

But if they aren’t successful entrepreneurs after reading all these books, don’t worry what they have to say.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Another way of looking at your dad's opinion...

Buddha and Gandhi were just a bunch of charlatans, if you really want some spiritual guidance, you should just listen to Joel Osteen.

:playful:

The Graceland

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 12, 2017
Napa, CA
You could leave a copy of one of MJ’s books in the bathroom(and take out all other reading material). Boredom(or a long $hit) can lead to curiosity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.