The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I code this? Technical advice needed for web development (highly technical thread)

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Hi there

I am looking to code a web app so that it becomes automated (currently I have to do everything manually). I have entry-level knowledge of the MEN stack so I would prefer to code on this. Here is what the niche website-building app has to achieve:

1. User fills a form with a chosen domain name: What is the best way to check if the domain name is available in real-time and warn the user if not? Connecting to the GoDaddy API via front end?
  2. Take all the entries from the form, and replace placeholders in .ejs templates. The questions is, how do I make new copies automatically created and uploaded in a new domain? Can I configure AWS in a way that automatically spins up a new server with templates upon form submission?
  3. Store each website's configuration and user details in a database. Do I create a separate DB for each website or do I have a central one that is accessible by each website via API?
  4. Create a really basic CMS that allows the user to edit the text that has been put in place already by the form. This is the hardest part for me. How can I achieve something like this? Do I need to study a framework like React?
I am looking more for directions of what to study in order to achieve the above, as they are above my pay grade. Best practices are appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
Hi there

I am looking to code a web app so that it becomes automated (currently I have to do everything manually). I have entry-level knowledge of the MEN stack so I would prefer to code on this. Here is what the niche website-building app has to achieve:

1. User fills a form with a chosen domain name: What is the best way to check if the domain name is available in real-time and warn the user if not? Connecting to the GoDaddy API via front end?
  2. Take all the entries from the form, and replace placeholders in .ejs templates. The questions is, how do I make new copies automatically created and uploaded in a new domain? Can I configure AWS in a way that automatically spins up a new server with templates upon form submission?
  3. Store each website's configuration and user details in a database. Do I create a separate DB for each website or do I have a central one that is accessible by each website via API?
  4. Create a really basic CMS that allows the user to edit the text that has been put in place already by the form. This is the hardest part for me. How can I achieve something like this? Do I need to study a framework like React?
I am looking more for directions of what to study in order to achieve the above, as they are above my pay grade. Best practices are appreciated.

I would recommend StackOverflow as it is a better place to ask technical questions such as these.

1. Yes, I would go with connecting to API using JavaScript. I do not know about GoDaddy API, but NameCheap has some really good and simple one for checking domain availability. I created a small script for myself a while ago, I can give it away (if you want DM me).

2. I think your are mixing a domain name here with a hosting / server. You need to buy a domain name using a registrar such as Godaddy or Namecheap, then you have to "point" your domain to a hosting / server such as AWS. And regarding to creating a new AWS instance - it should be possible, check AWS documentation.
But I do not really understand why you want to do that. If you want to automate this process for someone, than you are still the owner of the domain as well as the server (and in that case you do not have to spawn a new instance on AWS).

3. This depends on what you are trying to achieve.

4. You definitely do not need React for this, you just need to provide ability for user to edit the file of the template. Or you can use existing CMS such as WordPress (not really lightweight), but there are simple CMS out there, 5 second of googling and I found Grav CMS.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
I would recommend StackOverflow as it is a better place to ask technical questions such as these.

1. Yes, I would go with connecting to API using JavaScript. I do not know about GoDaddy API, but NameCheap has some really good and simple one for checking domain availability. I created a small script for myself a while ago, I can give it away (if you want DM me).

2. I think your are mixing a domain name here with a hosting / server. You need to buy a domain name using a registrar such as Godaddy or Namecheap, then you have to "point" your domain to a hosting / server such as AWS. And regarding to creating a new AWS instance - it should be possible, check AWS documentation.
But I do not really understand why you want to do that. If you want to automate this process for someone, than you are still the owner of the domain as well as the server (and in that case you do not have to spawn a new instance on AWS).

3. This depends on what you are trying to achieve.

4. You definitely do not need React for this, you just need to provide ability for user to edit the file of the template. Or you can use existing CMS such as WordPress (not really lightweight), but there are simple CMS out there, 5 second of googling and I found Grav CMS.

Thanks for stopping by. I see your point about StackOverflow, given the strong presence of developers in this forum I thought it wouldn't hurt...

1. Will DM
2. I understand the differences but I do not understand how to approach this using multiple sites. I know how to point a domain to a server with files for one website (so far I've only used Heroku). However, when a customer buys a new domain name, a new configuration has to be created with this site and the domain be pointed there. Are you saying that I can have only one server that can handle multiple websites, like shared hosting? Is there a good resource to study for this problem?
3. Speed, simplicity and keeping costs low. I will go with the solution that obeys these, but simplicity is more of a priority admittedly.
4. That's great, I thought WordPress was the only option and I wanted something that is much simpler and with a simple learning curve.

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
Thanks for stopping by. I see your point about StackOverflow, given the strong presence of developers in this forum I thought it wouldn't hurt...

1. Will DM
2. I understand the differences but I do not understand how to approach this using multiple sites. I know how to point a domain to a server with files for one website (so far I've only used Heroku). However, when a customer buys a new domain name, a new configuration has to be created with this site and the domain be pointed there. Are you saying that I can have only one server that can handle multiple websites, like shared hosting? Is there a good resource to study for this problem?
3. Speed, simplicity and keeping costs low. I will go with the solution that obeys these, but simplicity is more of a priority admittedly.
4. That's great, I thought WordPress was the only option and I wanted something that is much simpler and with a simple learning curve.

2. Yes, one server is enough. Study about "Reverse Proxy" such as Nginx and Docker.
3. Go with one DB (put it in the Docker - as well as everything else), create an API around it and expose it as a service.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.