The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How did you discipline yourself?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Kabylfx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 5, 2016
I think we are all aware that motivation never lasts long and that killer work ethics only come through self-discipline. I've been working towards achieving that mindset for the past month and was wondering how some of you guys might have done it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joaki

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Feb 15, 2015
FL
I've gotten to a point throughout the last year where I'm working every single day for a big part of my day (12-16 hours)...

All it comes down to is building a habit man. There are so many distractions but when you want it so bad it's so much easier to sit down and put in actual work. I remember it being harder when I didn't have a such a strong certainty of what I wanted to do. But now, I'm programming and coming up with new ways to create more effective and scalable code on a daily basis because my company needs me to be the best-for our customers.

There are very few days when I barely feel like working and what I do on those days is think about the impact of what I'm about to do is going to have in the future and don't think about my short term feeling of not wanting to work. Imagine how serious the habit has gotten that if I go a day without putting in tons of work and making tons of progress I will literally go to sleep disappointed.

It's going to be very different for everyone because not all circumstances are the same but I hope that you can pick something up from that and apply it to yourself.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I think we are all aware that motivation never lasts long and that killer work ethics only come through self-discipline. I've been working towards achieving that mindset for the past month and was wondering how some of you guys might have done it.
stickK

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I am a huge list maker- I make lists of everything- things I need to do, goals, reminders, to-do lists...etc. and I am almost compulsive with completing those lists, I very rarely go to sleep with things left undone on my to-do list. This has helped me. But also repetition, forming habits..etc.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Self discipline?.. Not sure what this means. My dad was the hardest working person I knew. I work harder than everyone else that I know.

Discipline does not feel like it is in the equation. Drive and desire is what keeps me going. I enjoy accomplishing and seeing the results.

I have also learned that failure is a driver as well.

dave773

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Dec 29, 2016
australia
Write down on a piece of paper the night before what you WANT to do and NEED to do. Then tick off each one as you complete it.

Do this everyday and keep challenging yourself with things you learn and actions to take. Being consistent = self discipline.

Fatrys

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Jul 5, 2016
Paris, France
For the smartphones addicts:

I just discovered the app (for Android and iOS) called "forest" which functions as follows: You set a timer (from 10min to 120min) and you plant a seed that will grow until becoming a tree ONLY IF you do not quit the app, which means there is nothing you can do other than not using your smartphone and doing what you should do.
Once the timer ends, you will have one more tree in your forest and so on... The app apparently keeps a track record of how much time you allocated to your work per day.

I bought the app (2€ or 2$ I guess) for I think it is a funny way to do it. Prior to that I was using the basic timer on my phone, usually set at 30 min. I believe that 30 minutes of really focused work may yield more than an entire afternoon spent procrastinating.

I think it works pretty well with me and hope it can help some of you!

Last edited:

Dan1el

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Mar 26, 2016
One thing that has helped me tremendously with building self discipline no matter in what area, is my mental attitude.
If you set up yourself to do something and you feel like "this sucks and is so hard i dont feel like doing it" it will be hard.
Instead I tell myself before any task that "this is easy to do, and its easy not to do" so therefore there is no excuses for me not to do it.

"Successful people do what they have to do whether they feel like it or not."

Also writing daily goals down, I do it in my calendar and after every accomplished goal I cross it over and reward myself by saying things like "Amazing job" "Youre amazing" etc this is key when building habits.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Every time you go without something to put money towards the business it is a step towards your goal. "Lets not buy that can of soda every day it can go towards the advertising budget instead." That's a win. Every extra hour of what feels like meaningless soul destroying work in a job you don't want is a step further. Every time something needs to be done with the business but you cant be bothered, just get it done and you got yourself a touch further. That's another win. The guy you work with just got himself a new $35000 car when you just drive an old junker and, lets be honest, you want the nice car. "Every time I turn the key to drive this crappy car I'm putting $350 a month towards my business. He isn't."
Every little thing that seems to be a pain, loosing out, or just plain crappy is a win towards your goals. When you realise that, you begin to relish the shitty parts of life, the sacrifices because you know every one brings you a step closer. And maybe not now, maybe not even with this business but in 5, 10 even 15 years that guy will still be driving a $350 a month car to his job he doesn't really like. I won't! Maybe I wont be able to buy a Ferrari, I might not have a mansion. But what I do know is i'll love what I do, I'll get more time with my family and the things that matter and I'll be thankful for every sacrifice I made.

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
1. Write down daily goals at the same time EVERY DAY
2. Do the biggest tasks at the beginning
3. Set time frames and use stopwatch to work efficient(smaller time frames)
4. Remind yourself WHY you are doing what you're doing
5. Reflect yourself and build better habits

Gareth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Nov 25, 2016
Stop waiting to "feel like" doing something.

Make your tasks "not negotiable". That means you have to do them.

Seek problems to solve. There is ALWAYS a solution.

Be relentless.

Always do one more task before you finish

DesignerOne.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Nov 29, 2016
Rochester, Ny
I just meditated today, I think that can be extremely beneficial to disciplining yourself to treat time as a valuable resource when you sit down for 15 minutes, chill and it feels like forever.

It puts time in perspective for you and teaches you to use your time wisely but also to destress and be more efficient. Plus, for personal success with your goals, think smart, go steady, and you'll get there.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
Woke up one morning, went on youtube to watch something motivational & saw Patrick Bet David's video about work ethic.
Decided to give it a try and applied it to everything ( job, learning to code , gym , nutrition , reading) and I'm still doing it.
As a reminder my phone's wallpaper is an image with two words : WORK ETHIC.

Don't forget S.M.A.R.T goal setting.. really helpful !

-

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
What helps me is not hitting the snooze button. I have 5 seconds to hit it or to get up. I have that thought in my head every morning. Snoozing is BAD. Never hit the snooze button, just get up and start your day. Getting up and starting your day is GOOD. (I reinforce this good/bad over and over).

I have a consistent, predictable routine as much as possible. I have fixed routines, that are always same time same thing (Morning Routine, doing certain real estate actions/efforts, one set off day per week- Tuesday) as well as flexible routines that I can plug into allocated time slots (meeting people, errands, etc.)
Every hour of my day has a specific and deliberate task/thing to do.

Nothing can beat a daily To Do list.

I try to keep things as simple and repetitive as possible.

1. Just get up.
2. Stick to the routine.
3. Daily To Do list.

This is manageable. This keeps me organized. This allows me to measure my progress, and see what I need to work on next on a constant basis.

I try to keep my focus and concentration to a minimum of things I need to be accountable for. I do all the hardest stuff FIRST.
*Two things on your To Do list are harder than everything else, you MUST do those FIRST- without fail.

This process is effective as far as maintaining and building traction towards progression. Took me a long time to figure out how to structure my day to avoid that start/stop feeling and not gaining momentum. I can feel the small steps (process) adding up to the bigger things (event), never felt that way before. Major key: keep this routine going on THE WEEKENNDS too. Helps so much, cuz you are constantly staying in the groove...instead of START/STOP... that used to be a massive problem for me and equaled little to no progress. So happy to have figured out how to solve that.

And... this is not just a discipline thing. This is the way I live my life now.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I've worked with a lot of people...

In my experience I've learned there are only 2 ways to really change your life. The first is willpower. The discipline you're talking about. Where you just do it. You got to the gym every day. You always choose the salad. You make the calls, you do the emails, etc.

I have a 3rd degree black belt in Karate, a 2nd degree in Tae Kwon Do... I should have amazing discipline. But the truth is only 5%ish of the population can do that.... I'm not part of that 5%

The rest of us need what's called a significant emotional event. And the reason is that it's something that immediately changes your patterns, your beliefs, and therefore your habits.

You have a child? Significant emotional event. Instantly your patterns, beliefs, and habits change.

You get married? Significant emotional event. Instantly new patterns, beliefs, and habits.

Life or death experience? Significant emotional event. Bad break up? Significant emotional event.

Trying to discipline or force yourself to do anything rarely works... but if you change your habits -- the things you run on autopilot day in and day out... now you have something. And usually the only way to do that... is a significant emotional event.

JayPrince

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 29, 2016
It's all about habit man. There will be days when you just want to sit down and do nothing but watch TV or drink a few beers and play games.

However, when I don't go to the gym, and when I am not working, coding, when I get home I know I'm going to regret it the next day, because that night was unproductive. You just have to ask yourself whether what you're doing is productive to your set goal, if it isn't, is it worth the potential loss? Granted, one or two nights a week break is fine, just don't make it into a habit.

After a while, it gets easier and easier, until you have a full fledged habit of work that will work towards your goal, and once you reach it, go further and build.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I use a whip, primarily, but sometimes a rod. And I bow before a statue of myself and ask for forgiveness
Under the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have not winced nor cried aloud,
Under the bludgeons of chance,
My head is bloody but unbowed,

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Discipline for me is just taking action every day and making it a positive habit. Practice...practice...practice...until you self-master whatever you're trying to achieve through self-discipline. Eventually it becomes natural and you do it automatically.

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
30 Days of Discipline by Victor Pride. Currently on day 6 and have written 9,000 words for my eBook while everyone is still sleeping...

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Try focusing on the doing of a task (process) rather than the completion of it (event). It removes the "I need to get this done" mindset that sometimes overwhelms or discourages, and replaces it with a calm, content "Okay, what's next?"

Jimyy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Feb 3, 2017
Perth Australia
Mac 'Self Control' App, locks me out of anything distracting on computer, have something similar on the phone, can save me hours of distraction per day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.