The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I protect my online business?

JT388

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 30, 2015
Hello,

I'm getting quite the push from my fathers lawyer to protect my newly born online business that is growing quite steadily. I'm getting fed with 'do this do that' daily phone calls from them, thinking they know the perfect way to protect my brand and business, but neither of them are from the digital entrepreneur world like we on here are from.

My question to you all is, how can you protect your new online business? One of the recommendations my fathers lawyer made was to purchase all of the extensions for my business (about 100+ of them), and anything similar - to lock out all competitors and thieves. However my platform developer is telling me this is a waste of time, because it'll serve no use given there is 100s of extensions out there nowadays.

IS this method a big waste of time? Should I just buy 5-10 of the key domains (Like .Co, .Com, .net) etc and just redirect them to my main domain? Or do I need to go all out and get 100+ of the most relevant ones.

--

How do you go about protecting your brand/business in the digital world?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
It depends on your domain.

If it is something generic like MassageTables.co.uk then I would buy up in .co.uk, .uk, .com and .net (if available - and if UK is your location) to reduce copycats as you can't 'protect' usage of generics.

If it is something brandable like MasTab.com, then if someone sets up after you, selling the same/similar stuff, then you can send a cease and desist/DRS/UDRP to them.

I would never try and buy all the domain extensions as there are too many, news ones can come at any time, renewals will be ridiculous - some renewals are $xxx per year for new extensions.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Budget a certain amount per year to IP protection. If nothing happens, buy up a few domains. If some you want are taken, wait it out and they may pop up for sale.

For Dad's lawyer, tell him you have $x per year for IP protection, how much can he do for that?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
When a .com becomes dominant, there's very little cyber squatting on copycat domains that goes on any more. Most people I know might grab 2-3 related domains, but no way you should go deeper than a few.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Occasionally I type in YouTube wrong and get directed to some spam site. If a company of that size is not doing it then neither should you. Id get the .ca, .net and .co and leave it at that.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Yeah, consider the source on this. Do what your IT dev team tells you, including all the digital security you can get. But domains? pppthh.. Do the most likely, and protect them.

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
I think it's a waste of time and money.

I have a website which gets approx. 6000 unique visitors
per day. And this is a niche site.

So I'm pretty much at the top of Google search results
for most of the important keywords in my niche.

People steal my newsletters and articles.

I've been in this niche for about 8 years. I only
have the .com domain registered. And I had
no problems related to any domain extensions.

People may steal your content and that's pretty
much it in my experience.

However, if your income depends on your website,
then you probably should consider having
a website firewall.

This will protect you from getting hacked by
automated hacking attempts.

Tom Falater

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 9, 2016
When a .com becomes dominant, there's very little cyber squatting on copycat domains that goes on any more. Most people I know might grab 2-3 related domains, but no way you should go deeper than a few.

I agree with you here. With my domain I bought up just the top three : COM, NET, ORG

Make sure you show up on the top of the search engines and you're protected.

The lawyers advice is silly and I would fire him based on that bad advice alone. He doesn't know what he's' talking about. Even ebay and yahoo don't buy up hundreds of domains, where does he get his advice from. Lawyers have a way of latching on to clients and milking them of money, be careful.

Tom Falater

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Don't completely ignore your dad/lawyer so you don't piss them off. Buy a few extra domains to appease them and say you consulted with experienced digital marketers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.