The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I open a "gentlemens club"?

FLM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Apr 8, 2010
Hello guys,

I'm 18 years old and would like to open a strip club! Anyway it should be more a "gentlemens club". The problem is Ive no business experience and really dont know how to set up a business like this!

Of course I need the location! Will I buy it or rent it?.. Probably its better to buy it, because then I will have a building after a time as well, correct me if im wrong please!

I would like to have it in a better area so it shouldnt be a "dirty place" with dancers who are full of tattoos and piercings, I want girls with quality! Girls for a gentlemens club!

Anyway I would locate the "gentlemens club" in a city where I not live, so I wont be often there, I need to trust my stuff! Maybe I can use something like a own currency.

Then another question how can I calculate everything? I have no ideas of the numbers, whats the price for the stuff, for the rent etc!
Is there somewhere something like an example how to calculate that etc?
Does someone plans of how to open a club like this?
Your ideas would be welcome!

Please dont laught at me, I know I'm young for business, but I also know that it is possible!

Cheers,

FLM

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
tommorow....

and start working out your fastlane plan in the process. (Russ H.'s sticky on - How to develop your fastlane plan)

Become your boss's favorite employee, make sure he teaches you everything he knows...

Make sure the club you work at is a profitable one, and a legitimate one... It would do you no good to take a job thats not. (I know of a few clubs down here that recently got shut down for money laundering and prostitution)

LEARN! LEARN! LEARN!

Have an exit strategy, and once all learning and funding is acquired, pull out and start your own venture.

If this is not the path you want to take...try another. start a small operation with the lowest overhead possible, and see if you can pull it off legally, with minimal funding... If you can, then you should have no problem pulling it off there-after...

good luck! don't forget to send me free lap dance coupons!

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I agree with sswift.

You also might want to Google strip clubs in areas that are quite a distance from you, and call them to see if they could share any operational data with you.

If you are several hundred miles from them, they won't likely be afraid to share info with you with the thought that you might become competition.

Explain that you are looking at this from the business owner's end -- not the customer's, and offer to travel to their area to meet them and study/help them for a few weeks to learn the tricks.

Of course, these folks aren't always the most scrupled individuals in the world, but you might get lucky.

I know that there are a couple gay guys in our town who started several adult locations around town. They make great business owners, since the girls have no misconception of what they need to do to succeed there. It is all business and no "play" with these guys.

Infinity

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 2, 2009
Not to be a downer, anything is possible - but it might be in your interest to either take some business courses - college/university or at least read on your own

Basic accounting, financing, strategy, marketing etc will give you some foundation to understand how to figure out how much capital you would need to start, monthly expenditures etc

that being said - sounds like a fun venture :eusa_clap:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I would like to have it in a better area so it shouldnt be a "dirty place" with dancers who are full of tattoos and piercings, I want girls with quality! Girls for a gentlemens club!
And how do you know that a "dirty place" is what that city/area needs/wants? If you care too much about what YOU care and not about what your CUSTOMERS want then you may find yourself in a place where you have an amazing location, with "girls qith quality", and 3 customers.

Also... a "better area" may have issues with zoning and permits about this type of businesses.

Anyway I would locate the "gentlemens club" in a city where I not live, so I wont be often there, I need to trust my stuff! Maybe I can use something like a own currency.
Why in a city where you don't live? This made me think of something weird going on here.

Then another question how can I calculate everything? I have no ideas of the numbers, whats the price for the stuff, for the rent etc!
Is there somewhere something like an example how to calculate that etc?
Does someone plans of how to open a club like this?
Your ideas would be welcome!
There are thousands of resources online about numbers for different types of stuff... and many things depend on too many factors (for example, rent depends on location, duration of the lease, total area, etc)... Google exactly what you need... check sites like craigslist for the city you are thinking of, just to get an idea of what's out there.

Please dont laught at me, I know I'm young for business, but I also know that it is possible!
No, I don't think any decent forum member here would laugh at you... you are asking the questions that are in your mind so I wouldn't worry about it that much...

The real question is, you will get advice to go out there and find out about this or that (rents, zoning, permits, etc)... will you do it? or will you simply sit down and wait for one of us to answer your question without you putting the time and effort to find out on your own?

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Of course, these folks aren't always the most scrupled individuals in the world, but you might get lucky.

Get lucky? At an out of town strip club.....:great:

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
The real question is, you will get advice to go out there and find out about this or that (rents, zoning, permits, etc)... will you do it? or will you simply sit down and wait for one of us to answer your question without you putting the time and effort to find out on your own?

Cant knock the hustle! Absolutely love it andviv!

FLM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks a lot for your answers!

The main thing why I want to locate the strip club in another city is

1. I'm on a boarding school in switzerland
2. In my city there are a lot of strip clubs so there is no need for it.
I would locate it at a place where Ive been a few times and this place is a tourist zone for rich people at some parts and of course also for normal people.

The thing is I could promote it as an exclusive strip club, like a gentlemens club in the tourist area where mostly the rich people are or in the zone where the normal people are.
If I would do it exclusive the costs are much higher, so probably that is not possible at my stage. First of all I need to do a lot of research and google everything.

But thank you everyone for your good advices

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I would also work there, first, to learn what you don't know.

(hint: right now, you know NOTHING about strip clubs, from an owner's POV).

Did you know the high end clubs employ shills to get guys to the Champagne rooms?

Did you know many strippers at high end clubs turn tricks onsite?

Did you know many (not all) strippers at high end clubs have drug or alchohol problems?

How do I know all this? My brother had 3 very good friends that worked in the more upscale clubs-- the ones w/cover charges, $10 drinks, etc. Clean, wholesome places geared at geeks more than bikers.

Running a strip club is hard. Running a strip club in another city-- where you can't see all the drug deals and prostitution going on b/c you're not there-- sorry, that's just nutz.

If there are plenty of clubs by you, why not get to know the owners, and find one who is interested in showing you the ropes. Offer to work for free--- not for the T&A in front, but to learn the back of the house.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Oh, and one last thing:

We all love google.

But google is like reading about sex.

On the job training is like having sex.

Big difference.

Don't make the student's mistake of thinking that reading about something is going to prepare you for it, especially in this business.

I mean, ask yourself: How many strip club owners are spending lots of time online sharing their secrets of how to run a successful strip club business?

-Russ H.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Why not open a dance studio to teach girls how to pole/club dance. Hire a professional instructor, rent an aerobics studio, and offer the classes. You can offer a range of classes from beginner to advanced. As I understand it, this is a trend now anyways.

Benefits:

You videotape the lessons and sell them. (the market is scalable)

The women would trust you more in that environment. In fact, if you make it a safe environment you'll get women that wouldn't set foot in a club that would possibly sign up for the class.

You could assemble a team of dancers (trained to professional standards) and send them on tour for higher rates. (Send body guards with them)

You don't have to worry about the head aches of running a club (refer to Russ's Post)

Additional thought: I see you're in Germany\Switzerland. I don't know what it's like there, but if the market is saturated with "gentleman's" clubs, then change your product.

Go for a much softer approach and open a restaraunt like similar to Hooters. It is more like a family friendly environment, yet draws in regular customers.

Good luck with business. :thankyousign:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
The thing is I could promote it as an exclusive strip club, like a gentlemens club in the tourist area where mostly the rich people are or in the zone where the normal people are.
If I would do it exclusive the costs are much higher, so probably that is not possible at my stage.

I remember a saying from somewhere...

Feed the rich. Eat with the masses.
Feed the masses. Eat with the rich.

What that means is that, although it looks good to cater to the rich, it is usually more profitable to cater to the masses.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I think there might be a market for offering classes/instruction to wives/gf's in exotic dance.

If your location would be in an upscale community or place w/upscale tourists, you could offer these classes through the concierge-- guests would have a MUCH higher comfort level w/this approach.

But you would not sell alcohol-- so the $$$ investment it would take to get licensing would be much, much less (and gross would be less, too).

I am assuming there is a licensing authority for sales of alcoholic beverages, just like in other parts of the world. Those licenses can get very, very expensive (in the US, the license is worth more than the store or club, b/c that's where the $$$ is earned).

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I remember a saying from somewhere...

Feed the rich. Eat with the masses.
Feed the masses. Eat with the rich.

I first heard:

"Cater to the classes, eat with the masses.
Cater to the masses, eat w/the classes."

But it was Henry Ford who originally said:

"Sell to the masses and eat with the classes". :)

-Russ H.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
get a girlfriend. you most likely need to get laid and got lots of sex going on in your head.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
get a girlfriend. you most likely need to get laid and got lots of sex going on in your head.

EastWind-

An observation:

You are the only one on this thread w/this recommendation.

I am assuming you are taking this as seriously as everyone else (lack of winkie emoticon, etc).

All of us here typically make recommendations based on our personal experiences with business/life.

Are you doing the same? ;)

-Russ H.

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
I have a very good friend that has been in this type of business his whole adult life. Over 25 plus years now I looked into buying a club with some partners. After spending a few weeks at a few of his clubs through out the United States. I looked into other options.
Main reason it is non-stop 24-7 Drama unless you have a great management team in place.
Second thing for a high end club to build it right you'll be looking at around 5 million. That was the cost of the last 3 clubs I knew of< One was a club he just opened a few months back.> Just some food for thought

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
. . . it is non-stop 24-7 Drama unless you have a great management team in place.
Second thing for a high end club to build it right you'll be looking at around 5 million. That was the cost of the last 3 clubs I knew of< One was a club he just opened a few months back.> Just some food for thought

That's why my brother walked away from it.

At one point, he was very interested, and talked to several of the owners (and lots of the bouncers-- my bro's usually the biggest guy in the bar).

At first, he *loved* that drama. It was a challenge to him-- trying to figure out how to make things run smoothly without all of the drama. But the more he thought about it, the more he realized (before he got into it) that long term, it would drive him nuts.

-Russ H.

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
Russ,
They just put up a brand new very high end club. In west Detroit on 8 mile over 6 M illion to build. Already had a guy killed outside of it from San Jose last year. Along with more then a few drug issues and the ladies selling many extra services. Way way way too much Drama IMHO.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Russ,
They just put up a brand new very high end club. In west Detroit on 8 mile over 6 M illion to build. Already had a guy killed outside of it from San Jose last year. Along with more then a few drug issues and the ladies selling many extra services. Way way way too much Drama IMHO.

Most of you don't know: My brother lives in Detroit-- hence the additional info from Wimtbimtb.

My brother left a life of being a biker/general rowdy to settling down w/a family.

He's a first grade school teacher--- chose quite a different path!

-Russ H.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Most of you don't know: My brother lives in Detroit-- hence the additional info from Wimtbimtb.

My brother left a life of being a biker/general rowdy to settling down w/a family.

He's a first grade school teacher--- chose quite a different path!

-Russ H.

I'm not so sure...

It could actually be easier to control the Crips and the Bloods than a bunch of first graders. :nonod:

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
EastWind-

An observation:

You are the only one on this thread w/this recommendation.

I am assuming you are taking this as seriously as everyone else (lack of winkie emoticon, etc).

All of us here typically make recommendations based on our personal experiences with business/life.

Are you doing the same? ;)

-Russ H.

It's the truth. If an 18yr old wants to start a strip club, and has no experience in one. He just has women on his mind, not money. :smx2:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
It's the truth. If an 18yr old wants to start a strip club, and has no experience in one. He just has women on his mind, not money. :smx2:

I asked you to think about what you said.

Clearly, you did not.

So here, I'll think out loud for you:

He's a guy, and he's horny.

So what does he do?

He figures out a way to monetize horniness: A strip club.

You feel horny, and what do you do?

You have sex.

Now, I'd like you to think about the long term results for his model, and your model.

Who will wind up rich?

(happy to do some more thinking out loud, if you'd like-- it's fun!) :)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I'm not so sure...

It could actually be easier to control the Crips and the Bloods than a bunch of first graders. :nonod:

True that.

Because of his "gentle giant" approach (he's 6'4", and barrel chested-- size 15 shoes), he was given a very special position when the district started laying off teachers left and right:

He commutes from school to school in the Hamtramck district, working w/the "challenged" kids.

He once shared w/me just how many different nationalities are in one of his classes (an average of 8 nationalities among 24-30 kids). Most are immigrants or children of brand new immigrants, speak no English, grow up speaking only their native tongue at home, and practicing their customs. Some of these customs are difficult for kids (head or face coverings), and others are illegal in the US (disciplining a child by hitting them).

Makes for a challenging time on his end-- he can't change who the parents are, or how they choose to raise their kids.

But he also can't shirk his responsibility as an educator, or break the law (he must report suspected abuse to social services).

Not an easy life. But he never was one to choose the easy path.

And he knows that he makes a difference. Every day.

-Russ H.

G

Guest3722A

Russ,

I personally couldn't agree more. And you gotta love the west side of Detwat...

Several years ago I owned an auto detail shop in West Detroit on Michigan Ave., smack dab in between two very popular (at the time) top bars for which my partner and I would visit on occasion for lunch. Needless to say, we made our share of friends, one of which was an owner of one of the bars and through this acquaintance, he eventually sent his car down for us to detail. To add one more level to the above mentioned 'drama', with being involved in this type of venture, I'd like to add, -dealings with criminally intentioned, shady characters. The reason why I believe this is an important consideration to bring up and for you to digest is because after going through this owner's vehicle, we found a how-to book that he had tucked away about kidnapping and torture, and if that's not a signal...

In addition, I've dated a couple dancers and can tell you that the 'life' of those involved is not utopia. Instead, at least from my observations, it becomes a never ending circle of stress and sleazery. A real-life swirling cesspool of steaming desires.

If this is a lifestyle you would be desensitized to, then I would have to say that you could consider it. Otherwise, you may end up building something that you truly hate.

Nstyle

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 9, 2010
I too am from Detroit and its funny as a outh those things excite your mind but as your grow older those experiences will change your perpective on life in a heart beat. I think working in the environment would wise up anyones senses of what your getting yourself into. I like the Hooter tyoe ideas or a dance studio. Just my personal opinion tho.

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
This is something I want to do someday but it's not high on my list. It's about 5th I would say. I am in the adult business so it seems like a natural transition.

Just be careful where you open up your club. The town could come in and shut you down for the hell of it at any point.

You want to make your place as discreet and clean looking as possible.

Guys like to talk shit and some of the girls you get will prostitute themselves and you will get into trouble if this stuff happens.

Like I said I run an adult business and I got kicked out of my office by the town because of rumors. Shit wasn't true, they had no proof and they wouldn't even produce the source. I could have sued and won but why bother? I moved to the industrial area in the next town. Fortunately moving my office is way easier then moving a night club.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.