The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Honesty - how to handle dishonest employee

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

MichaelLekker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Apr 2, 2019
It is not the company's job to make people perform. Where is the personal responsibility?
I agree 100 percent that it should be like that. Feels like people now care more about performing in their virtual life rather than improving in real life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cvince

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
May 2, 2019
Toronto
There's no emotion with money. Have a conversation with her. If she doesn't change right there and then set an example and fire her.

Last edited:

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
She's over the last few years gone on office supply runs that should take less than an hour but take 2 hours.

This doesn't sound like a terribly big deal. Maybe it was traffic. If that is your reason for firing her, you owe it to yourself to at least have a conversation with her about it to see what she says. When employers fire employees over fairly minor things, it is really easy for a plaintiff's lawyer to make the case that the proffered reason was a pretext and that the REAL reason was that she was a woman (or whatever). Then your lawyer says "this doesn't look good and you probably should pay her X thousand to go away because otherwise a jury could find you should pay her XX thousand"

Have a conversation and see what she has to say.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
There's no emotion with money. Have a conversation with her. If she doesn't change right there and then set an example and fire her.

And if it was your Mom? And she came up with the lame excuse of she needed to buy medicine for your Dad and was too ashamed to ask anyone for money, so she's been padding her hours at work so she can afford the medicine?

Then what do you say?

You say nothing. You fire him/her on the spot.

Thanks for making my day. I feel so much better about who I am today.

If and when I have a staff, my employees would never be in that situation. That's because I'd pay them what I would want to be paid if I was in their position. I want happy people, and I want people to like and respect me as a boss. Some bosses are like that. Not many, but some.

Cvince

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
May 2, 2019
Toronto
And if it was your Mom? And she came up with the lame excuse of she needed to buy medicine for your Dad and was too ashamed to ask anyone for money, so she's been padding her hours at work so she can afford the medicine?

Then what do you say?

You say nothing. You fire him/her on the spot.

Thanks for making my day. I feel so much better about who I am today.

If and when I have a staff, my employees would never be in that situation. That's because I'd pay them what I would want to be paid if I was in their position. I want happy people, and I want people to like and respect me as a boss. Some bosses are like that. Not many, but some.

Well I've learned the hard way to never involve family in business. So I would never be in that situation.

Now, If an employee needs more money then they should be straight up and ask for more hours. Not intentionally steal.

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Well I've learned the hard way to never involve family in business. So I would never be in that situation.

Now, If an employee needs more money then they should be straight up and ask for more hours. Not intentionally steal.

Never say never.

If you pay your people well and treat them respectfully, then I will agree with you. But I can count on one hand the number of people that do that. Everyone knows what a good boss or manager is. And there are so few of them out there. Your drill Sargent attitude leads me to believe that there is not a lot of love between "your people" and you. Life is too short to work at a job or a company that makes you miserable. I help people get OUT of jobs like that, and I really like myself a LOT for doing that (and needless to say so do the people that I help). There are more important things in life than money. You make your own reputation and you write your own destiny. Make it good.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Maybe she is starting her own fastlane in the meantime :smile2:
Every other person on this forum suggests to use your current job to do just that.

So this is no more stealing than much of the advice on this forum. Have you ever moved your business offshore to pay less taxes? Many people say this is stealing also.

+1 for promoting. Tell her that she seems to not do well with the "counting hours" thing and offer to make it official, so long as she makes certain things happen. In exchange for officially not counting her hours, set a standard of achievement on her part, and present it as a promotion. If she says "no", okay, but after that you can officially count her hours.
or just promote her. She will naturally work more for the time being. Give her some assignments that require her to be present, or drop this requirement...
Now, if you absolutely need her to be present, if that is the essence of the job, and if this has been spelled out, and if she is no good for anything else, then you may have to decide. But it sounds like you've been fine for 8 years.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Regarding "having a conversation" with her, I've had managers have conversations with me along the lines of "You [my employee] are not creating enough value for me. Here is how you can create more value for me." That usually destroyed any good will I had towards the company. Usually my answer was, because you — the person talking to me — are in the way. But explaining this kind of thing is not a good idea.

Basically, if you [the manager] are the problem, then having the talk will not help. Imagine what she can write on this forum, along the lines of "my crazy boss is now complaining about an extra hour I spend when running errands, as if 8 hours of faithful service amounted to nothing!"

Consider this, has your company broken any promises? I bet it did. Most companies do. When the profit grows 3X and you give your employees a 3% raise, this is a broken (implicit) promise. They will find a way to get even. E.g. see Work-to-rule - Wikipedia
Read "UNSCRIPTED ".... most people describe most jobs as shitty, and it's because they are made to feel powerless. Every idiot manager can call them and "have a conversation" because they are trying to have a life. Don't read crappy HR books that say employees are a bunch of idiots, as then this is what you will get.

And since when is "buying lunch" for employees considered generosity? Or not checking people's hours? I guess it depends on the standard. Unless you've made it from the lower class and fought tooth and nail, through tremendous adversity, I would not bestow moral judgment.

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
“Where’s my paycheck”

“Oh, we noticed you were adding time to your hours so we caught the error and fixed it. The total was about the size of this most recent paycheck”

“WHAT?”

“Yeah, good thing we caught that error. That could’ve been expensive for us. See you tomorrow”

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.