The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Honesty - how to handle dishonest employee

Arun Siva

aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com

Arun Siva

aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
Maybe a couple long lunches isn’t that big of a deal in the long run?
Not a good idea. Trust me on this one... A couple long lunches turns into haphazard conformity in which a level of comfortability sets in. This is not good for the environment of your business.

ideasunlimited1

Contributor
Mar 21, 2019
Houston
ideasunlimitedonline.com
@Real Deal Denver, very cool stories man.

I'm salaried but even when I wasn't and to this day, if any superior confronts me about time/hours worked, it's a good reason to walk on the spot. Nothing good every comes from having bosses/working at a place that is watching the clock instead of the value/work that has/is being produced.

I can usually produce the work of 3 individuals in my field and my superiors know it and let me set my own hours, if they didn't know it or balk at my hours I don't want to work there anyway if they are that stupid to not see that I am producing for 3 individuals. This clock watching comes from a scarcity mindset instead of an abundance mindset, if they are a good worker and a producer everyone else will see it and there will little to no complaining. I don't make it a point to rub my hours on people's faces either, nothing needs to be said, they understand.

If this lady is a producer/good worker I would give her raise and find more challenging work for her and tell her to be mindful of the impressions she may be giving, if she is a bad worker get rid of her not because of the hours/time thing but because she isn't producing.
I agree with this..the very definition of salaried is that you are not hourly. You aren't being held to a requirement to be in during a set period of time scheduled. This usually means you work more than an hourly employee, but some weeks you may work less. My policy is this: if you can get everything you need to get done at a high standard of quality, consider that extra time a bonus. Otherwise, it's just finding something to complain about. Now, if quality of work is the actual issue, then that needs to be vocalized.

MichaelLekker

Contributor
Apr 2, 2019
I would sit her down and just have a good conversation about what you feel is happening, or what the situation looks like. Without evidence of her stealing firing her would not be right. A lot of things could be going on. Maybe she has a difficult time in her personal life which is now reflected at her work, or maybe she lost motivation for this job and feels like she is ready for the next step(in your company). I feel that keeping the focus on the good things employees do and trying to stimulate that works better for me than punishing them when they do something wrong.
I read an interesting book about having difficult or serious conversations which helped me a lot with these things:
Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
Strong feelings are coming over me like this is an era in which I don't belong. Too old and now a dinosaur.

In the old construction days we would tell each other to leave our personal problems at home. There was no safe space or bosses trying to figure out why the performance was not there. You performed or were relieved of duties. You would pay the price if you lied, cheated, or stole.

I do agree that there is an environment that should be established that will affect people's motivations and desires to work. I was a manager for many years at HP. It was a company that was defined by treating people fairly. So I understand the process.

I also had a VERY successful career there and on my own. I managed a crew of managers, maintenance, and rehabbers on my apartments. With great results. We have 30 employees at the golf course. We have tolerance for people going through issues.

But, don't lie, cheat or steal!

It is not the company's job to make people perform. Where is the personal responsibility?

Last edited:

Cvince

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
May 2, 2019
Toronto
There's no emotion with money. Have a conversation with her. If she doesn't change right there and then set an example and fire her.

Last edited:

Kruiser

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 22, 2017
West Coast
She's over the last few years gone on office supply runs that should take less than an hour but take 2 hours.
This doesn't sound like a terribly big deal. Maybe it was traffic. If that is your reason for firing her, you owe it to yourself to at least have a conversation with her about it to see what she says. When employers fire employees over fairly minor things, it is really easy for a plaintiff's lawyer to make the case that the proffered reason was a pretext and that the REAL reason was that she was a woman (or whatever). Then your lawyer says "this doesn't look good and you probably should pay her X thousand to go away because otherwise a jury could find you should pay her XX thousand"

Have a conversation and see what she has to say.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
There's no emotion with money. Have a conversation with her. If she doesn't change right there and then set an example and fire her.
And if it was your Mom? And she came up with the lame excuse of she needed to buy medicine for your Dad and was too ashamed to ask anyone for money, so she's been padding her hours at work so she can afford the medicine?

Then what do you say?

You say nothing. You fire him/her on the spot.

Thanks for making my day. I feel so much better about who I am today.

If and when I have a staff, my employees would never be in that situation. That's because I'd pay them what I would want to be paid if I was in their position. I want happy people, and I want people to like and respect me as a boss. Some bosses are like that. Not many, but some.

Cvince

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
May 2, 2019
Toronto
And if it was your Mom? And she came up with the lame excuse of she needed to buy medicine for your Dad and was too ashamed to ask anyone for money, so she's been padding her hours at work so she can afford the medicine?

Then what do you say?

You say nothing. You fire him/her on the spot.

Thanks for making my day. I feel so much better about who I am today.

If and when I have a staff, my employees would never be in that situation. That's because I'd pay them what I would want to be paid if I was in their position. I want happy people, and I want people to like and respect me as a boss. Some bosses are like that. Not many, but some.
Well I've learned the hard way to never involve family in business. So I would never be in that situation.

Now, If an employee needs more money then they should be straight up and ask for more hours. Not intentionally steal.

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Well I've learned the hard way to never involve family in business. So I would never be in that situation.

Now, If an employee needs more money then they should be straight up and ask for more hours. Not intentionally steal.
Never say never.

If you pay your people well and treat them respectfully, then I will agree with you. But I can count on one hand the number of people that do that. Everyone knows what a good boss or manager is. And there are so few of them out there. Your drill Sargent attitude leads me to believe that there is not a lot of love between "your people" and you. Life is too short to work at a job or a company that makes you miserable. I help people get OUT of jobs like that, and I really like myself a LOT for doing that (and needless to say so do the people that I help). There are more important things in life than money. You make your own reputation and you write your own destiny. Make it good.

FORUM SPONSOR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

New Topics

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!