The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

High Traffic, No Conversions For Dog Shirt Store

Marketing, social media, advertising

NelsonBoi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

We've had 3,500 unique visitors but not one sale. We sell shirts with dog designs on them. It's organic traffic in the dog niche. What is the problem? Here is our link: puppypalsstore.com

Thank you so much. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
I don't like how you have so many shirts on the home page. Separate them into categories. In some cases, having too many product options for customers can make them "stress out" and just click away from your page. I've learned that the hard way.

How are you driving traffic? Are you sure it's qualified, high quality traffic?

NelsonBoi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 27, 2015
I don't like how you have so many shirts on the home page. Separate them into categories. In some cases, having too many product options for customers can make them "stress out" and just click away from your page. I've learned that the hard way.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I guess the homepage would be a list of categories you could select from (each category would be a different dog breed). Our traffic is dog owners and people who like dog pages. I'm not sure that counts as qualified.

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
Is there a way to search for specific categories of shirts?
Example: By breed, humorous, loving, by what it says

I'm looking at your page on my phone and there are so many shirts that scrolling through each shirt is overwhelming if I'm looking for a specific type of shirt. I gave up after 1 page

Edit: I found the search function after looking again but maybe change its placement on mobile and offer shirts divided into categories also

Edit x2: Saw it was Already posted

Last edited:

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
Thank you so much for your feedback. I guess the homepage would be a list of categories you could select from (each category would be a different dog breed). Our traffic is dog owners and people who like dog pages. I'm not sure that counts as qualified.
You don't just want dog owners. You want people OBSESSED with dogs. Often they'll have friends who are also OBSESSED with dogs. Why? They'll buy your products in a heartbeat if marketed properly and hopefully become a loyal brand advocate.

If you're using Facebook Ads, this targeting is absolutely possible. You just need to test it all out.

NelsonBoi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 27, 2015
You don't just want dog owners. You want people OBSESSED with dogs. Often they'll have friends who are also OBSESSED with dogs. Why? They'll buy your products in a heartbeat if marketed properly and hopefully become a loyal brand advocate.

If you're using Facebook Ads, this targeting is absolutely possible. You just need to test it all out.
Thanks. But what if I can't use FaceBook ads? (my account got banned for no reason). Is there another ad platform that would work (Pintrest comes to mind) or a way to do it organically?

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
I looked at all the designs and they were all boring. There wasn't a single shirt that struck a chord.

You need ONE SHIRT that makes an impact. Something that stand out from the crowd. Not 25 crappy ones.

My 2 cents!

NelsonBoi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 27, 2015
I looked at all the designs and they were all boring. There wasn't a single shirt that struck a chord.

You need ONE SHIRT that makes an impact. Something that stand out from the crowd. Not 25 crappy ones.

My 2 cents!

Thanks for being honest. I based all of my designs on the highest selling shirts in the dog niche. Some sold 1000+ in a single campaign. All I did was edit the text and design a tiny bit. How would I find shirts that aren't crappy? Do you mean the design is crappily drawn or its just boring?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
I'll be honest, if you're getting that kind of traffic, the product has to sell itself. Would you wear any of those, truthfully? I wouldn't.

I don't want to discourage you but I'm from NY and have a pretty good sense of fashion. I don't even think they look comfortable enough to wear around the house.

Couple of things you can do...
- Give to some kind of dog charity when a shirt is purchased
- you're getting tons of traffic, improve the product designs
- Use a better quality tee (I like alternative apparel)
- Show Images on the site with models wearing some of the shirts

Good luck!
Hope this helps

Hi everyone,

We've had 3,500 unique visitors but not one sale. We sell shirts with dog designs on them. It's organic traffic in the dog niche. What is the problem? Here is our link: puppypalsstore.com

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
A recurring theme: your shirts are ugly.

You want to sell shirts?

Then here's the reality: you need to fill a need. For most people that need involves 2 things:
  1. Something they like.
  2. Something that looks nice.
You have the like part down. But you don't have the looks nice part. Meaning that the only demographic that will buy from you is the "I don't care that I look stupid, I love dogs" demographic.

Instead, appeal to both demographics, and fill that need.

Here's an example of a t-shirt I just designed (took me 5 minutes) vs your design:

YgmFAVT.jpg

Notice how my shirt looks cool and fashionable? How a normal person would wear it?

Also notice the mockup picture on mine vs yours? Which mockup is better?

My design is far superior to your design. It appeals to a much larger demographic. Your product on the other hand is mediocre.

With all that said, there's better ways to make money than t-shirts. Unless it's passive income, don't do it.

But if you still want to make t-shirts, then at least read my thread on the topic: https://thefastlaneforum.com/commun...mpany-with-zero-inventory-and-only-100.60743/

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
Along with what has been said already: When I saw the home page, I thought "The Best Dog Shirts" meant shirts FOR dogs, lol.

Also, the home page phrase is a bit boring. Perhaps "The very best selection of top quality shirts for dog lovers" would be more appealing and sound better than "The Best Dog Shirts".

Good luck and great job though on getting something going. :)

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Hi everyone,

A few quick things that haven't been mentioned yet.
1. You do not have shipping costs anywhere. I can't even find out how much shipping is until after entering in my info... That's a huge turn off. Since you are only charging $3 for shipping I would recommend going to free shipping. Plaster it on every listing that shipping is free!

2. The way the pictures are structured is super odd. Having a big huge line of pictures scrolling down is just weird. It would be better to have it where there is one picture and then they can click/ swipe to go to the next one (what Amazon does with their multi pictured listings)

3. You have nowhere on your site where I can ask questions. The only place you have your email address at is in the
About us tab. If I have a question I'm looking for a FAQ, a contact us page, a phone number, or a live chat option. With none of those available I'm headed to another site.

4. All you have about the actual product is that it is "super soft material". If I'm spending $25 bucks for the shirt I want to know more than that about it. Is this "super soft" shirt going to last? Is it made of good quality materials? Is it 100% cotton? Etc.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I was ready to buy some shirts for dogs. The pics of dogs for a category had me hyped I could get a shirt sized for my dog. Wait, these are for people?!

Maybe focus on people's LOVE for their dog. How cool it would be to have shirts to display their LOVE for dogs.

Good skeleton. Time for some meat. Get me excited and don't confuse me!!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Went back and looked again. Damn, really want some shirts that I could put on a Beagle!!

NelsonBoi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 27, 2015
A few quick things that haven't been mentioned yet.
1. You do not have shipping costs anywhere. I can't even find out how much shipping is until after entering in my info... That's a huge turn off. Since you are only charging $3 for shipping I would recommend going to free shipping. Plaster it on every listing that shipping is free!

2. The way the pictures are structured is super odd. Having a big huge line of pictures scrolling down is just weird. It would be better to have it where there is one picture and then they can click/ swipe to go to the next one (what Amazon does with their multi pictured listings)

3. You have nowhere on your site where I can ask questions. The only place you have your email address at is in the
About us tab. If I have a question I'm looking for a FAQ, a contact us page, a phone number, or a live chat option. With none of those available I'm headed to another site.

4. All you have about the actual product is that it is "super soft material". If I'm spending $25 bucks for the shirt I want to know more than that about it. Is this "super soft" shirt going to last? Is it made of good quality materials? Is it 100% cotton? Etc.

Should I increase the price to 25.99 to have free shipping?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Should I increase the price to 25.99 to have free shipping?
If you have to then yes. Personally, I think $25 is pretty expensive for t shirt. If you could do $19.99 with free shipping I think you would fare far better.

A

Anon1351z

So recurring theme here... people are saying your shirt designs aren't that great, which I tend to agree with. Quality over quantity, my friend. It's ok though, you'll get better as you go. It's all part of the process.

I would recommend asking friends to pick their 4-6 favorite shirts, then put the highest ranked shirts as "best-sellers" on your homepage. I assume you're having a high bounce rate if the conversion is that bad, so at least by having your top shirts on the homepage, you'll get some eyes on them.

I'm really not a fan of the category page either when you click through "shop now"... it's just another page that they can't buy anything from. I know there's essentially the exact opposite advice posted above, but in my opinion it would better to have the t-shirts load, and have drop down options at the top to filter by breed, etc... if someone wants to buy, get out of their way.

Overall, your website isn't that bad... you should've had a few conversions. I'm guessing @TheGrind nailed it and you're driving traffic from the wrong places. In chapter 7 of the guide, Tucker talks about driving traffic... I'd start there once you tweak the site. And yeah, I know you know what I'm talking about ;)

Good luck!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes, the shirts are ugly. But I think the reoccurring theme is that your designs are just off. They aren't $25 shirt designs. You would be better off hiring a designer to make 2-3 really good shirts. Then it's pretty simple to add whatever dog breed name you want to it and you will have 25 versions of each shirt.

Also, the type of shirt you are offering is not worth $25. I would only buy a tshirt if it was printed on a nice quality soft cotton, or cotton blend. The cheap standard gildan or hanes shirts are worth about $10 with something printed on them.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Here's an example of a t-shirt I just designed (took me 5 minutes) vs your design:

YgmFAVT.jpg

Notice how my shirt looks cool and fashionable? How a normal person would wear it?

My design is far superior to your design. It appeals to a much larger demographic. Your product on the other hand is mediocre.

Well I read this post before I went to his website and I thought your design was the one on the right and his was the one on the left. Oops. :)

Hac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 2, 2016
I dont own a web store or any true experience running my own business for that matter. so take that with a grain of salt first of all. Second, i agree that you could use better designs. ALso, I love frenchies and english bulldogs. Your frenchie selection was definitely "boring" with all-due respect. and I dont see a category for english bulldogs =( you also have a bestsellers list without a single sale but that is not the problem with the bestsellers list imo. the problem with it is your bestsellers are all lacking in design appeal. so i would assume that subconsciously, People assume that if your bestsellers are all non-attractive designs, then the rest of your catalog must be worse, right? I also feel like the web site is trying to sell me on the tee shirts based on their design... and i dont even like any of the designs. With that being said, why not add some nice copy writing in there somehow? Or throw some dog-related puns or some humor or something to keep your dog-loving audience on your web site for other reasons than shopping? or maybe get some fun designs on shirts for dogs too?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

Guessing he may be working on the site at the moment because I was about to say I don't like how he has no shirts on the homepage.

Add content below the fold. I should be able to scroll down and not have to click shop now to be disappointed that they're not shirts for dogs.

Show a pic of your product with a dog -> dog owner with a dog and your shirt maybe. A pic of a dog doesn't make me want to buy a t-shirt unless it's for the dog

Your about us has a facebook link but no facebook link at the bottom near your IG icon. You need social proof. Your IG is active, integrate it into your site.

Best of luck.

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
Hi everyone,

I just checked the link using my phone. Have you done any testing for mobile platforms?

I was unable to tell if you were selling shirts *for* dogs or shirts about dogs until actually found the catalog link.

Are you using Adwords? Since you've gone with a brand for your domain name you may need to try using "dog tshirts" as your keywords.

And somewhere in your page should be text along the lines of "tshirts for dog lovers" or something.

Though those suggestions might lead to more visitors and not specifically more purchases but they might be more qualified visitors.

Then again I have no idea if what I said will work. Also, you don't mention how long your site has been up. And 3500 is not really a.lot of traffic.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
I just checked in with the Adwords keywords tool again (it's been a dog's age!) and the search traffic for "dog t shirts" won't be more than 5400 on average but the suggested bid shows as $1.34 CDN which might be reasonable. Peak at Xmas may only be 15000 max so you'll definitely want conversion to improve.
And you have 0 keywords in your main page meta tags. Gotta get that in there.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
A recurring theme: your shirts are ugly.

You want to sell shirts?

Then here's the reality: you need to fill a need. For most people that need involves 2 things:
  1. Something they like.
  2. Something that looks nice.
You have the like part down. But you don't have the looks nice part. Meaning that the only demographic that will buy from you is the "I don't care that I look stupid, I love dogs" demographic.

Instead, appeal to both demographics, and fill that need.

YgmFAVT.jpg

With all that said, there's better ways to make money than t-shirts. Unless it's passive income, don't do it.

But if you still want to make t-shirts, then at least read my thread on the topic: https://thefastlaneforum.com/commun...mpany-with-zero-inventory-and-only-100.60743/
Well I read this post before I went to his website and I thought your design was the one on the right and his was the one on the left. Oops. :)
Surely the OP added the green shirt that @AgainstAllOdds designed? Because that red shirt was horrible. Please tell me @AgainstAllOdds that the green shirt is your design.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@AgainstAllOdds I wish I was adopted by you....!!!!

I appreciate the compliment, but no you don't. It's that mentality of idolizing people you know little about that leads to paying $10,000 for a "guru" to help you out.

Set aside 5% of your income. Start investing in your ideas. And slowly start learning about what the market wants, learn a bit about yourself, and figure out how to get closer to your goals.

You don't need anyone to help you out or to "adopt" you. Start doing things, make a progress thread here, ask questions when you have them, read articles/books when you're stuck, and you'll slowly start to see progress. In five years you'll be way ahead of everyone around you.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I only clicked on this thread because I thought @AgainstAllOdds was making shirts for dogs.

Now I'm just a disappointed guy with a naked dog, ffs

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.