The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi!

Dedalo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Apr 17, 2019
Hi guys!

I’m a 34 years old engineer. I graduated in Aerospace engineering, started working in an Aerospace Company (3 years) and then moved to a Formula 1 Team, where I am stuck since 5 years.

I am not passionate about rockets, and surely not about Formula 1 races, but I love the challenge, the job itself: I am a structural engineer, I do optimize structural “things” (in my portfolio I have small “things” like inserts of a race car up to a 16m tall Payload Fairing, which is the upper part of a rocket), I make them as light as possible but still unbreakable.

Since 2 years I am looking into myself, trying to discover what I am passionate about. I love training in the gym, I love training Muay Thai with the guys and I love following an healthy life style. I miss the time when as a student I was working as a waiter in different restaurants, bars and clubs: lot of fun and a lot of cool people, nothing comparable to the standard boring “office” people.

In summer 2018 I read both The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted . I started following this Forum a couple of months ago which I discovered being a great source of inspirational ideas and full of ambitious guys.

I have a lot of energy, but I am still looking where to “channel” it.
I know something will come..

Wish you the best!!
Cheers
Dedalo

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Hi Dedalo,

You have a really impressive background.
Your skills and knowledge may be helpful to others here, so after following this Forum for a couple of months start contributing ;)

I hope you'll come up with an idea of where to effectively "channel" your energy here.

Welcome!

Last edited:

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
moved to a Formula 1 Team, where I am stuck since 5 years
Oh, the irony. :)
Dude, you've got some valuable skills. Even if you think solely about the expertise of designing parts to optimize for strength while minimizing weight. Who else wants what you can provide? Rockets, race cars, etc. How can you help them--not as an employee, but as a business owner?

You've already got valuable expertise in high-paying industry niches. I hear you're bored, but I see this theme again & again with people like you (and my former self) who were in jobs they didn't like--they'd think: "How the F can I get out of this J-O-B?" The irony is that your job--and more specifically--the INSIDERS industry/niche knowledge it's given you--can be gold. You're ALREADY on the inside & have credibility in a high-value niche. You've got an INSIDERS's view. Mine it for gold nuggets that will become your path out of the J-O-B to your next step.

Dedalo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Apr 17, 2019
The irony is that your job--and more specifically--the INSIDERS industry/niche knowledge it's given you--can be gold. You're ALREADY on the inside & have credibility in a high-value niche. You've got an INSIDERS's view. Mine it for gold nuggets that will become your path out of the J-O-B to your next step.

Hi NMdad,

I really much appreciate your reply.
I can't not just agree with you, what I am trying to change is my mindset.
As you said I have an INSIDERS's view. Well, my problem perhaps is that I am too much "inside", I don't have an overview.

I never read books in my life as many as in last Summer. I can list you more than 40 books I read, about investing money, business plan, blockchain, mindset.

I used to hit the gym at 5:30am, instead going in the evening. I thought that changing my habits could help me in my path, but I still feel like 2 years ago.

I did start learning programming Apps in Android, but I quit because I did not have a real project in mind, just for the fun to learn something new.

Please don't get me wrong, I am proud of what I reached, I'm just looking for the next step..

Cheers
Dedalo

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Sorry for just connecting dots here, but @Dedalo must have missed something.
Please don't get me wrong, I am proud of what I reached, I'm just looking for the next step..
Here it is:
How can you help them--not as an employee, but as a business owner?

I did start learning programming Apps in Android, but I quit because I did not have a real project in mind, just for the fun to learn something new.
Good that you've quit. I would happily exchange my [a lot] years of programming experience for your skills. Formula 1 and Aerospace is WAY COOLER and has a lot higher barrier of entry.

Dedalo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Apr 17, 2019
Good that you've quit. I would happily exchange my [a lot] years of programming experience for your skills. Formula 1 and Aerospace is WAY COOLER and has a lot higher barrier of entry.

Hi astr0,

correct me if I am wrong, but I wanted to learn programming because I thought it would be an easier way to scale a business, compared to my industry.

Formula 1 has high barrier of entry for sure, but it's still an office job. I am trying to find out how to look out of the box.

cheers
Dedalo

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
You have huge experience in what you do. It's also pretty unique. That makes your experience very valuable.

Before thinking of scaling a business you need a business ;). Sure, programming a tool that would solve a real problem in your industry is an option. But you can actually outsource programming and focus on ways to pinpoint and solve that problem.

There's probably quite a lot of problems to be solved that don't require any programming. Think of what exactly are you paid for on your current job. Maybe you can turn that into a service business? Or create a product that's based on your work and experience that the industry would definitely need.

Dedalo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Apr 17, 2019
Thank you for your help @astr0, I'll try to follow what you're suggesting.

I really think I did the best move starting interacting with you guys. You're open minded and give motivation to others

Cheers
Dedalo

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Good to meet you Dedalo!

I'm also an engineer, but a Reservoir Engineer in oil exploration. I definitely understand your pain - I think my work is cool and I enjoy it, but I miss having the freedom to focus more on myself and my growth. College days were amazing - constantly learning, growing, having flexibility in schedule, meeting new people, and feeling limitless opportunities.

Office setting can be quite detrimental - and most of my colleagues are mid-late career folks that I can't relate with. Even worse, none of them share my passion for lifting, self-improvement and entrepreneurship. They all have families, live in the suburbs, and watch sports in their free time... BOOORING.

But since I've read UNSCRIPTED and started following this forum, I've re-awakened my inner child with dreams of "there's more to life than this, and I KNOW I can achieve them!".

My path so far? Get the job done at the office, but don't overcommit to new/demanding projects. If I plan on exiting this field, let me not bury myself 6feet deep. This gives me some time to read the forums while at the office :clench:, and to leave work in a reasonable time such that I can get my 1-2hr lift session daily and spend 3-4 hours progressing my entrepreneurship goals.

Welcome the forums, hope to see you around more often!

Dedalo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Apr 17, 2019
Good to meet you Dedalo!

I'm also an engineer, but a Reservoir Engineer in oil exploration. I definitely understand your pain - I think my work is cool and I enjoy it, but I miss having the freedom to focus more on myself and my growth. College days were amazing - constantly learning, growing, having flexibility in schedule, meeting new people, and feeling limitless opportunities.

Office setting can be quite detrimental - and most of my colleagues are mid-late career folks that I can't relate with. Even worse, none of them share my passion for lifting, self-improvement and entrepreneurship. They all have families, live in the suburbs, and watch sports in their free time... BOOORING.

But since I've read UNSCRIPTED and started following this forum, I've re-awakened my inner child with dreams of "there's more to life than this, and I KNOW I can achieve them!".

My path so far? Get the job done at the office, but don't overcommit to new/demanding projects. If I plan on exiting this field, let me not bury myself 6feet deep. This gives me some time to read the forums while at the office :clench:, and to leave work in a reasonable time such that I can get my 1-2hr lift session daily and spend 3-4 hours progressing my entrepreneurship goals.

Welcome the forums, hope to see you around more often!

Hi AceVentures!

thank you for sharing your experience, you got the point.

May I ask you what your entrepreneurship goals are, and how you defined them?
I mean, are your goals actually your child dreams, or did you have to follow a path, change your habits, to discover them?

Thanks again!
Cheers
Dedalo

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Hi AceVentures!

thank you for sharing your experience, you got the point.

May I ask you what your entrepreneurship goals are, and how you defined them?
I mean, are your goals actually your child dreams, or did you have to follow a path, change your habits, to discover them?

Thanks again!
Cheers
Dedalo

To answer your questions, I'd like to reference a couple of quotes from MJ's UNSCRIPTED that I took to heart:

"[...] your beliefs shape your identity and pierce into your meaning-and-purpose, or your whys. That purpose drives you into action, which in itself can be extremely difficult and discomforting. Both pain and passion accompany this journey. Once you feel the positive results of your effort - feedback, sales, success stories, stray dogs saved, etc. - more passion is generated, which advances the entire motivation cycle."

"Passion is self-replicating and greases the entire system. Your positive impact generates passion. Don't be passionate about what needs to be done; be passionate about what you WILL BECOME."

I'm a fitness guy, and had "dreams" of getting into the fitness industry. I have a passion for photography/videography, and had "dreams" of rising to the top as a YouTube star. What I learned from UNSCRIPTED is that your passion doesn't mean shit unless it solves a real problem.

I've since changed my mindset, and no longer wish to get into business following my "passion", but more interested in solving problems and getting the feedback loop kicked into gear so I can keep grinding. The one thing I DO have, is my "why". I grew up dirt poor, and saw my single mother undergo extreme pains and things no 7 year old boy should witness. My "why" fueled me to excel at everything I do, and to get to where I am today. My "why" is what is fueling me to branch out, take risks, and get into the world of entrepreneurship. My "why" is to break free from a life of mediocrity, to save my family from poverty, and to gain financial freedom for myself and my legacy.

My immediate goals are to start cashflow positive ventures that can eventually replace my full-time job as a primary source of income, such that I can quit spending 40-60hrs a week on looking for oil, and spend those extra hours developing other businesses.

So far, I've discovered a couple of ventures that I'm most interested in following in order to get some passive income in. One is to grow a real estate portfolio of undervalued-underappraised properties with leverage, rehab, refinance, and repeat (BRRRR model). I expect this venture to generate me enough recurring cash to quit my job within 1-2 years. From there, I'd like to focus on my personal brand while growing and testing different ecommerce ventures. I expect to fail hard and to fail often, but selling products to customers is really how I see myself being happy - solving their needs with better/improved solutions while being able to scale through the power of the global marketplace.

In the interim, I'm scoping/learning and doing the dreaded "action-faking". Namely, I'm digesting as much as I can from this forum, learning from other members, and refining my understanding of the entrepreneurship principles I'm learning from MJ and others. Although I hate that I'm "action-faking", I also recognize that I'm very early in the process (it's been about 2 weeks since I first picked up MJ's book and learned about the SCRIPT), so I'm doing my due-diligence before risking my capital.

Dedalo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Apr 17, 2019
To answer your questions, I'd like to reference a couple of quotes from MJ's UNSCRIPTED that I took to heart:

"[...] your beliefs shape your identity and pierce into your meaning-and-purpose, or your whys. That purpose drives you into action, which in itself can be extremely difficult and discomforting. Both pain and passion accompany this journey. Once you feel the positive results of your effort - feedback, sales, success stories, stray dogs saved, etc. - more passion is generated, which advances the entire motivation cycle."

"Passion is self-replicating and greases the entire system. Your positive impact generates passion. Don't be passionate about what needs to be done; be passionate about what you WILL BECOME."

I'm a fitness guy, and had "dreams" of getting into the fitness industry. I have a passion for photography/videography, and had "dreams" of rising to the top as a YouTube star. What I learned from UNSCRIPTED is that your passion doesn't mean shit unless it solves a real problem.

I've since changed my mindset, and no longer wish to get into business following my "passion", but more interested in solving problems and getting the feedback loop kicked into gear so I can keep grinding. The one thing I DO have, is my "why". I grew up dirt poor, and saw my single mother undergo extreme pains and things no 7 year old boy should witness. My "why" fueled me to excel at everything I do, and to get to where I am today. My "why" is what is fueling me to branch out, take risks, and get into the world of entrepreneurship. My "why" is to break free from a life of mediocrity, to save my family from poverty, and to gain financial freedom for myself and my legacy.

My immediate goals are to start cashflow positive ventures that can eventually replace my full-time job as a primary source of income, such that I can quit spending 40-60hrs a week on looking for oil, and spend those extra hours developing other businesses.

So far, I've discovered a couple of ventures that I'm most interested in following in order to get some passive income in. One is to grow a real estate portfolio of undervalued-underappraised properties with leverage, rehab, refinance, and repeat (BRRRR model). I expect this venture to generate me enough recurring cash to quit my job within 1-2 years. From there, I'd like to focus on my personal brand while growing and testing different ecommerce ventures. I expect to fail hard and to fail often, but selling products to customers is really how I see myself being happy - solving their needs with better/improved solutions while being able to scale through the power of the global marketplace.

In the interim, I'm scoping/learning and doing the dreaded "action-faking". Namely, I'm digesting as much as I can from this forum, learning from other members, and refining my understanding of the entrepreneurship principles I'm learning from MJ and others. Although I hate that I'm "action-faking", I also recognize that I'm very early in the process (it's been about 2 weeks since I first picked up MJ's book and learned about the SCRIPT), so I'm doing my due-diligence before risking my capital.

Wish you good luck!

It looks like you have clearly in mind what you're going to do
I admire you

Cheers
Dedalo

nickgraham1234

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Apr 16, 2019
California
Ever thought of how many niches there are in the car world? Aerodynamics, weight reduction, build quality is all important for track cars and street cars. Just designing a spoiler for a car that doesn't have many options could sell pretty well. Easily marketable on Instagram too.
If you are sick of cars all together, think about how you could apply your expertise towards the health industury. Develop a new machine for working out? GL man. Godspeed!

Dedalo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Apr 17, 2019
Ever thought of how many niches there are in the car world? Aerodynamics, weight reduction, build quality is all important for track cars and street cars. Just designing a spoiler for a car that doesn't have many options could sell pretty well. Easily marketable on Instagram too.
If you are sick of cars all together, think about how you could apply your expertise towards the health industury. Develop a new machine for working out? GL man. Godspeed!

Thanks @nickgraham1234,

I'll think about your suggestions!

Cheers
Dedalo

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...