The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help with picking my next phone

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
As i posted this, I realized we dont have a tech discussion forum, so hopefully this is the best place for it for now.

Anyways I am up for renewal and I would really like to get a phone that will be more geared to my new business. I am leaning heavily toward the samsung note 9, as I like the idea that you can write like an old palm pilot. However the pixel 3 XL looks great too (and is cheaper). Im also open to suggestions of apps people use to help them. Particularly with scheduling appointments and reminders and storing lots of contacts.

I am also open to other suggestions for phones I may not have heard about. As long as they are android. I am not anti Apple, I just prefer android and google products.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Do you really need a new phone, or are you telling yourself you need a new phone because your contract is finishing? Your phone will still work for years to come.

I don't understand why people rush to buy a new phone as soon as their contract expires. It's just throwing money at a big business despite there being no need to.

I suggest you don't get a new phone, and see how you feel after a few months with how much you're saving each month.

Not wanting to sound rude, but will having a new phone really make a difference in your business or is not having a new phone an excuse not to take action?

I do say though, if you're already fastlane then the above doesn't apply to you and I'd go with the Samsung. They make really good phones. :)

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
paramount-telephones-pmt-chicago-stick-64_1000.jpg

Here you go. A phone from 1909

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
As i posted this, I realized we dont have a tech discussion forum, so hopefully this is the best place for it for now.

Anyways I am up for renewal and I would really like to get a phone that will be more geared to my new business. I am leaning heavily toward the samsung note 9, as I like the idea that you can write like an old palm pilot. However the pixel 3 XL looks great too (and is cheaper). Im also open to suggestions of apps people use to help them. Particularly with scheduling appointments and reminders and storing lots of contacts.

I am also open to other suggestions for phones I may not have heard about. As long as they are android. I am not anti Apple, I just prefer android and google products.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 - GSM carriers, Unlocked

64GB ROM (expandable)
4GB RAM
6 in screen

No wifi calling, and Google maps is shoddy. So if you need those go for something else

But at $200, it's a steal

Redmi Note 7 should be available in NA sometime in March.

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
Do you really need a new phone, or are you telling yourself you need a new phone because your contract is finishing? Your phone will still work for years to come.

I don't understand why people rush to buy a new phone as soon as their contract expires. It's just throwing money at a big business despite there being no need to.

I suggest you don't get a new phone, and see how you feel after a few months with how much you're saving each month.

Not wanting to sound rude, but will having a new phone really make a difference in your business or is not having a new phone an excuse not to take action?

I do say though, if you're already fastlane then the above doesn't apply to you and I'd go with the Samsung. They make really good phones. :)

Something I should seriously think about, I do have a problem with always needing the newest thing, I should think if im making this an excuse.

Or a Star Trek communicator that came out in the 60's. Far ahead of it's time

When flip phones come back im gonna be all over it!!

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Something I should seriously think about, I do have a problem with always needing the newest thing, I should think if im making this an excuse.

I've had my phone for almost four years now and despite seeing a lot of action it still works fine. Granted not as fast as a new model but still does everything you need it to. I know phones and contracts are criminally expensive in Canada, see how much you can save without one. Look at it this way, you can always decide to go into a contract later on but you can't decide to come out of one without paying big money. No reason to jump into it straight away.

When flip phones come back im gonna be all over it!!

Samsung Galaxy Fold – The Official Samsung Galaxy Site ;)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I’ll respectfully counter @Zcott who makes a decent point...

Get the S10+...

My opinion, your phone is probably the most important tool in business. We lead through communication. Get the best and don’t feel bad about it.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 - GSM carriers, Unlocked

64GB ROM (expandable)
4GB RAM
6 in screen

No wifi calling, and Google maps is shoddy. So if you need those go for something else

But at $200, it's a steal

Redmi Note 7 should be available in NA sometime in March.

Just got this in the mail, as my other phone was smashed to pieces and people couldnt hear me when i was making calls and talking, not great for business haha.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
There really isn't any need to get a new phone unless your battery dies quick, people can't hear you, or the phone is all cracked.

I'm not saying this as an "anti-consumerist-wear-pajamas-to-meet-investors" type guy either.

There just isn't that much difference between an iPhone 6S Plus and an iPhone X... other than the price tag. Smart phones are basically commodities at this point. Find the cheapest/newest one and you'll be ok.

Google Calendar works perfect for me. It's especially useful if you use Gmail.

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
I want to buy a Xiaomi but I heard that the chinese have the tendency to install adware and other hidden stuff in their phone's base software.
Is this true? I would rather buy a chinese phone than an overpriced Samsung/iPhone, but my privacy is important.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I want to buy a Xiaomi but I heard that the chinese have the tendency to install adware and other hidden stuff in their phone's base software.
Is this true? I would rather buy a chinese phone than an overpriced Samsung/iPhone, but my privacy is important.

The Chinese companies that do that are the lower end ones that are basically selling a white-label smartphone. Bluboo, UMIDIGI, Doogee, etc.

If privacy is important, then buy Apple. Android is awful for privacy as data collection is Google's business model.

Apple at least pretends to care about privacy.

EDIT: Missed the Xiaomi part. They don't ship with malware. Resellers often install malware though.

lejus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 8, 2017
UK
Pocophone - if you are on the budget, notifications suck but specs you get for price are amazing, there is a reason why they call it flagship killer
Nokia 8 - similar price similar specs quality product
pixel 3XL - if you want the best and price is not an issue
doogee - extreme budget but want good specs and novelties
moto g6 - it was taken over but lenovo, very cheap and I've heard amazing things from my friends
samsung/apple - usually behind with specs and first in price, I am not a fun but I do recommend Apple products for my parents, they can't use technology and windows/android they all the time mess their devices and ask me to fi it remotly, with apple this is not the case its more intuitive, simple and they blocked everything that you could use to mess with your device, which is exactly the reason why i avoid it. I rooted my poco f1 as soon as it arrived. If you can root your device privacy is not an issue anymore.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
There really isn't any need to get a new phone unless your battery dies quick, people can't hear you, or the phone is all cracked.

There just isn't that much difference between an iPhone 6S Plus and an iPhone X... other than the price tag.

I was on a rolling contract with Apple which gave me a new phone every time they released one. However there was no reason to move from a 7+ to an iPhone 8 so I never bothered. The contract ended after 18 months and I just haven't bothered to renew it since.

As entrepreneurs we know better than most how the market works, pushing us to continually get the latest, greatest new shiny object that shows up on our horizon.

If you really want that retail fix it and can afford it I say go for it. Most of us upgrade well before the phone becomes an impediment. You know what they say about men and boys, we never grow up, it's just that our toys get more expensive. ;)

My opinion, your phone is probably the most important tool in business. We lead through communication. Get the best and don’t feel bad about it.

Total kudos to you Kak, however I would say that for a good portion of us who run eCommerce or automated businesses that require very little direct communication a phone is no where near the top of the tool list.

I have had 17 phone calls in the past 7 days and I dare say that is on the high side for me. I use my ipad far more than my phone. I could not operate without my PC however. For me that is my #1 business tool.

EDIT

Having said that I know of at least one person who runs his entire affiliate marketing business off a phone. Personally he must have better eyesight than me. :) When it comes to written communications I prefer a tablet or laptop while on the go.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Anyways I am up for renewal and I would really like to get a phone that will be more geared to my new business.
For your business, get whatever will make you most efficient and work the greatest amount of hours at the greatest throughput. Don't skimp. Get features you will use and study some of the life hack threads for that phone that will give you other ideas to save time.

Things I use on phone ....... 6 or 7 email accounts, skype, uber, notes, a caller id app, slack, discord, some engineering apps, amazon seller, alexa, whatsapp, linkedin, banking, fitday, etc.

i have droid for main business (S9+) and apple (whatever the previous latest was) for others.

Your phone is a VA, communication channel, info retriever, tool, computer, calculator, recorder, editor, etc. Spend the money here.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Your phone is a VA, communication channel, info retriever, tool, computer, calculator, recorder, editor, etc. Spend the money here.
This!

Also, I have my freelancer platform apps, in case my clients need a quick chat with me, and had to reactivate my Facebook app (at the risk of inviting the SCRIPT demons back) to reach out to buyers to sell old textbooks and other stuff.

And I keep a stash of e-books there, to read on the run and finish them faster.

I was on a rolling contract with Apple which gave me a new phone every time they released one. However there was no reason to move from a 7+ to an iPhone 8 so I never bothered. The contract ended after 18 months and I just haven't bothered to renew it since.
I think my phone is an iPhone 5.

Its considered a dinosaur phone by Apple standards lol.

I'd argue that once you get an Apple phone, even an older model, you won't really need to change it to the newest model. They work pretty much the same as the new phones, and the quarterly ios software updates don't charge a penny.

Plus, the batteries last really well, unless you are hammering away at PUBG hahaha.

wordwarrior

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 16, 2019
Montreal, Canada
I've had my phone for almost four years now and despite seeing a lot of action it still works fine. Granted not as fast as a new model but still does everything you need it to. I know phones and contracts are criminally expensive in Canada, see how much you can save without one. Look at it this way, you can always decide to go into a contract later on but you can't decide to come out of one without paying big money. No reason to jump into it straight away.

Samsung Galaxy Fold – The Official Samsung Galaxy Site ;)

Not all provinces have prohibitively expensive phone plans (though most do). I have 5GB a month and unlimited talk and text with Public Mobile. I guess I can thank Videotron for the extra competition, though their parent company lobbying is the reason I'm paying QST on Netflix.

Also, I paid for my phone outright. (Given the parent poster's requirements for a recommendation, I won't mention which one it is ;) ). I'd rather outlay now and have the freedom to switch providers.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
China phones FTW. F*ck Apple and F*ck all the "China-is-spying-on-my-phone-and-wants-to-know-what-I-ate-for-lunch" BS.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
China phones FTW. F*ck Apple and F*ck all the "China-is-spying-on-my-phone-and-wants-to-know-what-I-ate-for-lunch" BS.

Being spied on is a given. I'd rather it be a government with no legal jurisdiction over me than one with.

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
Budget is not a factor for me, and I prefer not to get something I have to order, I like to go to a store and buy something, touch it and feel it (I know thats old school). Even if it costs me more.

I know some guys dont really need phones, but for what im doing, ill need something reliable. Im hoping for more than 10 calls a day, with half of those booking appts.

Hijena1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 1, 2018
Germany
Huawei Mate X - for all Big Phone fans, personally not looking anything below 6,4 inch.
Previously I was using Xiaomi Mi Mix and it was fantastic (Global Version without Bloatware, Dev. ROM).
All depends what are you looking for; Big screen, big battery, camera, design, price and so on. When you know the answers then it is much more easier to find YOUR perfect phone.
PS. Really hate "Big narrow style" that is simply horrific.

Last edited:

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
Huawei Mate X - for all Big Phone fans, personally not looking anything below 6,4 inch.
Previously I was using Xiaomi Mi Mix and it was fantastic (Global Version without Bloatware, Dev. ROM).
All depends what are you looking for; Big screen, big battery, camera, design, price and so on. When you know the answers then it is much more easier to find YOUR perfect phone.
PS. Really hate "Big narrow style" that is simply horrific.

I would probably not go with Huawei again, I had a Nexus 6P and was awful, reviews on new ones seem to be mixed.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
I recently got a new phone after having two Samsung Galaxy Note 5's in a row.

The Note 5 was a dream, and I got spoiled. Everything that everyone says about running a business from a premium phone is absolutely true.

So I was considering the Note 9.

But the stylus on the Note 9 doesn't work!!!!

It is terrible. The one part of the phone that made it a game changer for me. The pen used to write like a dream. Now it simply doesn't write. I was incredibly disappointed. I heard they changed vendors for that part of the phone or something. It was completely different. I could rant for a long time on why they ruined a perfectly good phone.

So I went a different route and got the Moto G6.

I wondered if I would have trouble with a "cheapo" phone after I had gotten spoiled.

And it turns out, I didn't even notice a difference. At first.

But I discovered that there is one thing about the "bargain" phones that is noticeably inferior:

The phone doesn't work well FOR CALLS. The audio quality is poor, you have to hold it up to your mouth just right, people on the other end can't always hear you clearly, and it drops WAY more calls for absolutely no reason. "Signal not found" --- What do you mean, signal not found? I have 4 bars of 4G and my phone has been in the exact same place.

So if you actually CALL PEOPLE with your phone, this may be a reason to get a better phone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.