The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2 Years Since Unscripted - Life Changing - Now Need Some Advice On My Next Project!

Tim001

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Sep 12, 2018
Hi All,
I need some advice, but before I get to that thought I would share some successes with this group. THANK YOU MJ!

It's been two years since I read MJ's Unscripted (randomly stumbled upon the book) and put it to action right away with an idea my wife had - It's been life changing. I now have a ecom business and it's doing extremely well with excellent profits. I have been a lot of learning as I go. Unscripted was the punch in the gut I really needed to wake up - for years I worked on self improvement, listening to Jim Rohn and others but it was JM's message that finally helped me wake up and connect the dots. My current business is breaking some of the CENTS commands, however, I'm aware of that and slowly fixing that.

My best advice to newer folks here in the community is just START DOING SOMETHING today - it can be anything - it doesn't matter. Once you start doing keep observing and pivoting. Keep what works and toss out what doesn't. What I started doing 2 years ago, look very much different from what I'm doing today, it's because I just did something, moved forward and did a ton of testing and tweaking to find what works. It might seem like you are wasting time, but once you hit something that works, it's worth it.

I've been able to gain experience areas like, email marketing and automations, giveaways, instagram/building a following, Etsy, Shopify, Streamlining shipping workflows, Amazon FBA, Light Room/PhotoShop, Inventory Management, negotiation with suppliers, trademarks, bringing on other team members, copywriting. It's been a really crazy two years. If anyone need help in some of these area DM me, I'm happy to give back to the community where I can.

Here is where I need some advice:

How do I get started with getting help building software?

Unrelated to the above I currently have another side project. This is related to my hobby and I have a following in this area. I know the domain very well I have an idea for a tool that can solve problems for the masses and I know how to sell it - this will fully obey CENTS. But, I need the software built. I am currently working on writing up the basic requirements. I am actually a software dev project mgnr so I know how complex software development can get. My question.

1. How do go about getting development help? Find someone on Freelancer and share my requirements?
2. Should I look for a partner? Or hire someone to get me started?
3. I have funds available to invest, just not sure where to begin and how much I should expect to pay.
4. I want this built in a way that I can easily update. I need an expert to help brainstorm.

For the initial version, I need a user forum that will take in input (some input forums will need to be custom built I haven't seen before), take that input data, apply it to metadata, run rules and then built two output drawings. That will be the product. There are a lot of bells and whistles that can then be built around it.

I've been thinking about this for a long time, the next concurrent steps are going to be to fully document it.

Tim

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luckywatcher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 9, 2020
Utah
I'm glad to hear you've had some success this past two years! I fall prey to analysis paralysis so hearing your one piece of advice is to start doing something is a good reminder that I need to kick it into gear.

As it so happens, I'm wanting to start a project and I'm a full-time software engineer. I'm sure I have the skills needed to build what you're wanting. I'd like to discuss specifics before making any promises.

But to answer your specific questions, I've seen similar projects done several ways.
  • Find a partner who can do the technical work.
  • Hire someone to manage the tech project. The person you hire will write the project requirements and oversee the development work (which is typically outsourced).
    • Many try to cut out the middleman and outsource the work directly. I highly recommend against doing that because sometimes it works but the implementation is garbage. Having someone technical oversee the development work helps prevent that from happening.
  • Hire a freelancer on a site like Fiverr or UpWork.
Each approach has its pros and cons. Since you specifically mention you want this built in a way you can update it, I'd recommend either the first or second approach. That requirement means you want this built right. Without a strong technical lead working/managing the project, you'll likely get something that does 80% of what you want. Getting the extra 20% of what you want will likely be hard with the base code if outsourced.

If you'd like to get connected and talk specifics, feel free to DM me! I'm interested in starting a project of my own. Who knows, maybe this can turn into a future partnership.

P.S. I too just posted my first introduction today. You can read about where I'm coming from there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.