The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help me validate my idea

Idea threads

Vincent_Vega

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 1, 2015
Hi guys,

so I stumbled upon this product by accident and realized, that the producer of it is really bad at marketing.
I want to create a similar product and sell it better than he does.

The search volume on google (non-US) is 10.000 (Google Keyword Planner) or 3.000 (other KW tools). Don't know which one is accurate.

The search results on the first page are only amazon, other big shops and informational websites. There is no established brand who offers this product in this size. Also no Google ads except amazon.

The amazon vendors sell 10.000s of this product, ebay also.

My USP is that it's smaller than all the other products (half the size), so it fits into every pocket. Till now, there is no product that small (except the one who gave me this idea).

So considering the points I mentioned, is it worthwile to go after it? My biggest fear is that it is an electronic good. And everyone advises to stay away from electronics.
Besides that, is the size enough of an USP? The customers search for this product because of the small size, so I guess the smaller the better?

Maybe you have some suggestions.

Best Regards
V

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted50669

Hi guys,

so I stumbled upon this product by accident and realized, that the producer of it is really bad at marketing.
I want to create a similar product and sell it better than he does.

The search volume on google (non-US) is 10.000 (Google Keyword Planner) or 3.000 (other KW tools). Don't know which one is accurate.

The search results on the first page are only amazon, other big shops and informational websites. There is no established brand who offers this product in this size. Also no Google ads except amazon.

The amazon vendors sell 10.000s of this product, ebay also.

My USP is that it's smaller than all the other products (half the size), so it fits into every pocket. Till now, there is no product that small (except the one who gave me this idea).

So considering the points I mentioned, is it worthwile to go after it? My biggest fear is that it is an electronic good. And everyone advises to stay away from electronics.
Besides that, is the size enough of an USP? The customers search for this product because of the small size, so I guess the smaller the better?

Maybe you have some suggestions.

Best Regards
V

I don't know what the rationale is for staying away from electronics, but if someone advises that I would press them for their logic. There are obviously people making a killing in that market, may be worthwhile to try to establish connection with someone in the industry and see if they're open to a conversation about the business.

As far as validating your product, wouldn't hurt to set up a landing page advertising it and see if you get any bites.

Vincent_Vega

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 1, 2015
I also put up some Google Ads with a landing page from Quickpages. No product pictures or anything. Just advertising the page with the slogan 'smallest X on the market'.

So in 24 hours:
Clicks: 10
Impressions: 3.097
CTR: 0,32 %
CPC: 0,56
Ad Spent: 5,62

Btw, can't really believe that I got 3k Impressions. Seems a bit high for that search volume.

Edit: Ok, just saw that the KWs weren't 'exact match'. So most of the clicks came from different KWs which were 'broad match'.

Last edited:

Vincent_Vega

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 1, 2015
Ok, so I let the Ads run for some days. For now, I have these stats:

Broad KWs:
KW1
5 Clicks
1.165 Impressions
0,43 % CTR
0,51 € CPC

KW2
3 Clicks
890 Impressions
0,34 % CTR
0,63 € CPC

KW3
2 Clicks
1.042 Impressions
0,19 % CTR
0,59 € CPC

Exact KWs:
KW1
5 Clicks
47 Impressions
10,46 % CTR
1,24 € CPC

KW2
4 Clicks
169 Impressions
2,37 % CTR
1,01 € CPC

KW3
2 Clicks
91 Impressions
2,20 % CTR
0,48 € CPC

I also posted the product on Ebay and Craigslist but didn't receive much attention.

Can someone help me analyze these numbers?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
OK, so you're getting some clicks. But once they click through to your landing page, are they buying, signing up for an email list, what? A purchase is a very different action than an email signup.

At the moment, my hunch is that you don't yet have enough data to draw firm conclusions. For example, you'll probably need to drive more traffic to your landing page to determine cost of customer acquisition.

That said, it looks like there's at least some interest--soft validation. Hard validation would be purchases--i.e., they're paying you real money.

Vincent_Vega

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 1, 2015
OK, so you're getting some clicks. But once they click through to your landing page, are they buying, signing up for an email list, what? A purchase is a very different action than an email signup.

At the moment, my hunch is that you don't yet have enough data to draw firm conclusions. For example, you'll probably need to drive more traffic to your landing page to determine cost of customer acquisition.

That said, it looks like there's at least some interest--soft validation. Hard validation would be purchases--i.e., they're paying you real money.

For now, I have 25 Impressions on my landing page and 1 email sign-up. I have to admit that the landing page is really basic. No image of the product, just a short text.

So I guess the next step is putting up a store and trying to sell?
Can I just order samples for that and try to sell them via Google Ads?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.