The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help an Action-Faker get Started in the Fitness Industry

Anything related to matters of the mind

hjd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 20, 2023
Hi everyone, I hope this thread finds you in good health.

I'm struggling to take real action and start my business.

I am a chronic action-faker; my 'fakes' of choice usually include buying books and consuming lots of content around my idea. Also I usually have a record of half-baked website designs for businesses I never start!

Here's where I need your advice:

I want to start a fitness coaching business - helping people move and feel better by using functional training.

Naturally, I am assessing every excuse to not start and of course brainstorming actions that I now recognise could be action fakes:

- I 'need' insurance to protect myself legally
- I 'need' to be certified to be insured
- I 'need' to be certified to be credible and taken seriously
- I 'need' to go to the library and read everything on anatomy and training!
- I 'need' more equipment before starting
- I 'need' a website to take bookings and payments

Which of these sound like action fakes to you?

How do I shake the imposter syndrome and go and help people?!

Can I take my minimum viable product (me with a gym mat and a kettlebell) to the 'market' (someone's back yard) without certification or insurance?*
*(the maverick inside me wants to just write a water-tight client waiver form and call it there!) for context, I'm UK based.

All responses or pieces of advice are welcome and encouraged! :smile:

TIA

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Plushy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 19, 2023
USA
You can start taking action now and slowly get certified WHILE building your business. In fact, taking action on your business gives you motivation to finish those other things faster, you can do many of these things simultaneously. Starting now is the biggest advantage - you'll have time to grow, get feedback, and learn. I wish I had started 7 months ago instead of waiting to be ready.

You can start anyway. Once you have cashflow, you would be better able to get insurance. Your skills should already be good enough to prevent injury if you are confident enough to market it. Your first couple of clients are probably going to trust you enough already not to be litigious because they know they're taking a chance on a new business too.

No you don't. The only thing you need is satisfied customers and results.

You don't "need" it. Your knowledge, body, and past experience is good enough. You can keep getting certified while training others.

No you don't. You already know enough about fitness if you are thinking of selling your expertise.

You can get more equipment once you get income from having clients. Plenty of people do well with bodyweight workouts only too.

Lots of small businesses just use IG and FB for bookings. You can build your website while you train clients.

All of them. it's okay, I've been there too. I used to think I need to be trained in my field or get certificates - no, I just need to show results. Some of the best knowledge I've received are from people who learned themselves, not through some ivory tower.

Remember that "the best ones have imposter syndrome" and it drives them to want to learn more in their field.
Remember that you wouldn't even have the idea to start this business if some part of your subconscious believed you could do it. If you have the idea, you have already been chosen to do it. If you weren't confident enough, you wouldn't even think of this idea.

Can I take my minimum viable product (me with a gym mat and a kettlebell) to the 'market' (someone's back yard) without certification or insurance?*
The only way to find out is to try! If you really can't find anybody to train, then perhaps do some of the "preparation" stuff while you wait for your first customer, but keep trying and advertising your services.

It seems to me all these "conditions" are set up before you can start because you're scared, but the paradox is, the more you indulge in procrastination, the more you teach your brain you're "not really ready." You are waiting for evidence that you are good enough to do it before you start, but the catch is, the only way you can get that evidence is by doing it. Have faith! Being an entrepreneur is about risk and faith, seeing things and believing in yourself before others do!

PRT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Aug 19, 2022
Allen, TX
You've identified yourself as a chronic action faker, don't overthink it, just start working with people now.

Find people in your network and ask if they know anyone who could use fitness coaching. Ask friends and family. You can work for free starting out.

Watch this: NOTABLE! - MEETUPS - TFLF Call - For those getting started

You got this, start now, you're good enough already.

hjd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 20, 2023
You can start taking action now and slowly get certified WHILE building your business. In fact, taking action on your business gives you motivation to finish those other things faster, you can do many of these things simultaneously. Starting now is the biggest advantage - you'll have time to grow, get feedback, and learn. I wish I had started 7 months ago instead of waiting to be ready.

You can start anyway. Once you have cashflow, you would be better able to get insurance. Your skills should already be good enough to prevent injury if you are confident enough to market it. Your first couple of clients are probably going to trust you enough already not to be litigious because they know they're taking a chance on a new business too.

No you don't. The only thing you need is satisfied customers and results.

You don't "need" it. Your knowledge, body, and past experience is good enough. You can keep getting certified while training others.

No you don't. You already know enough about fitness if you are thinking of selling your expertise.

You can get more equipment once you get income from having clients. Plenty of people do well with bodyweight workouts only too.

Lots of small businesses just use IG and FB for bookings. You can build your website while you train clients.

All of them. it's okay, I've been there too. I used to think I need to be trained in my field or get certificates - no, I just need to show results. Some of the best knowledge I've received are from people who learned themselves, not through some ivory tower.

Remember that "the best ones have imposter syndrome" and it drives them to want to learn more in their field.
Remember that you wouldn't even have the idea to start this business if some part of your subconscious believed you could do it. If you have the idea, you have already been chosen to do it. If you weren't confident enough, you wouldn't even think of this idea.

The only way to find out is to try! If you really can't find anybody to train, then perhaps do some of the "preparation" stuff while you wait for your first customer, but keep trying and advertising your services.

It seems to me all these "conditions" are set up before you can start because you're scared, but the paradox is, the more you indulge in procrastination, the more you teach your brain you're "not really ready." You are waiting for evidence that you are good enough to do it before you start, but the catch is, the only way you can get that evidence is by doing it. Have faith! Being an entrepreneur is about risk and faith, seeing things and believing in yourself before others do!
Huge amount of value in here, I really appreciate the lengthy reply and your thoughts.

Thankyou for the positive outlook on imposter syndrome - that’s a great way to look at it and, yes, I do indeed believe I have what it takes to get started right now

hjd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 20, 2023
You've identified yourself as a chronic action faker, don't overthink it, just start working with people now.

Find people in your network and ask if they know anyone who could use fitness coaching. Ask friends and family. You can work for free starting out.

Watch this: NOTABLE! - MEETUPS - TFLF Call - For those getting started

You got this, start now, you're good enough already.
Thankyou for the reply. Very helpful. I agree, offering free sessions to start with could build me a network of potential clients and also help me get experience and confidence

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
I've seen people being coached in outdoor gyms (if the weather allows). That's something you could explore. Post it in your local community, start with a low introductory fee for a few clients, and try it out. Get some real-life feedback and base your decisions on that.

Do you need to get insured? Yes, but you don't need it right now. Start with simple bodyweight/resistance band/low-weight exercises to minimize the risk of injuries, etc.

Do you need to get certified? Of course, that would only benefit you but what you need right now is feedback from your potential clients. You can help a sedentary person move for the first time in years, you can help an underweight/overweight person with basic movements and nutrition guidance (basic) already.

How do I know that you're ready? Because for non-athletes the key is encouragement and consistency. If you care at least a bit and have decent communication skills, and you're fit yourself, you have everything you need to start helping people.

hjd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 20, 2023
I've seen people being coached in outdoor gyms (if the weather allows). That's something you could explore. Post it in your local community, start with a low introductory fee for a few clients, and try it out. Get some real-life feedback and base your decisions on that.

Do you need to get insured? Yes, but you don't need it right now. Start with simple bodyweight/resistance band/low-weight exercises to minimize the risk of injuries, etc.

Do you need to get certified? Of course, that would only benefit you but what you need right now is feedback from your potential clients. You can help a sedentary person move for the first time in years, you can help an underweight/overweight person with basic movements and nutrition guidance (basic) already.

How do I know that you're ready? Because for non-athletes the key is encouragement and consistency. If you care at least a bit and have decent communication skills, and you're fit yourself, you have everything you need to start helping people.
Thanks for that. You’re right; Real - life feedback will be great… instead of guessing what will or won’t work!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hi everyone, I hope this thread finds you in good health.

I'm struggling to take real action and start my business.

I am a chronic action-faker; my 'fakes' of choice usually include buying books and consuming lots of content around my idea. Also I usually have a record of half-baked website designs for businesses I never start!

Here's where I need your advice:

I want to start a fitness coaching business - helping people move and feel better by using functional training.

Naturally, I am assessing every excuse to not start and of course brainstorming actions that I now recognise could be action fakes:

*(the maverick inside me wants to just write a water-tight client waiver form and call it there!) for context, I'm UK based.

All responses or pieces of advice are welcome and encouraged! :smile:

TIA
What do you mean by “helping people to move and feel better”?

hjd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 20, 2023
What do you mean by “helping people to move and feel better”?
Move better - gain strength and mobility, therefore getting better an everyday life tasks (walking, picking things up etc)

Feel better - as a result of the above. Feel healthier, stronger, more effective, in less or no pain.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I need a hand designing a program to follow at the gym, would you give me a hand? If that helps you too I’ll leave a review somewhere once you have a website. Ill be some experience to start maybe. If interested just DM me.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Huge amount of value in here, I really appreciate the lengthy reply and your thoughts.

Thankyou for the positive outlook on imposter syndrome - that’s a great way to look at it and, yes, I do indeed believe I have what it takes to get started right now
Thankyou for the reply. Very helpful. I agree, offering free sessions to start with could build me a network of potential clients and also help me get experience and confidence
Thanks for that. You’re right; Real - life feedback will be great… instead of guessing what will or won’t work!

Thank you thank you thank you.

That's nice.

But have you taken any concrete actions yet Mr Action Faker?

I need a hand designing a program to follow at the gym, would you give me a hand? If that helps you too I’ll leave a review somewhere once you have a website. Ill be some experience to start maybe. If interested just DM me.

(Stealing my thunder and making it easy for him I see. )

Contacting Bel is a gimme @hjd. We want MOAR ACTION.

Find an additional person to train. Stat. Make an offer to 50 people until you find one to help.

Ask if anyone knows anyone who is looking for a new trainer. You literally being a new trainer, this will be about as honest a sale as anyone could ever make...

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
bro youre thinking way too much.

I got a fat friend who made a facebook marketplace post and started training another fat guy on zoom $20/session

HE IS 16, OBESE, AND AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT

if he can do it, you can too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!