The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from Denver - self publishing success

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Anyway, sorry again for the lengthy post everyone. I hope that I am able to add some value here over time.

Thanks alot MJ for the inspiration - it has changed my life!

Great intro! Nice to see someone my own age here too!
Good work!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

royalasg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 21, 2013
Bangladesh
Writing for Kindle publishing is really a great idea to generate huge cash..though its not new to me. whatever thanks for share with everybody with good Introductory text :iagree:

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia
Writing for Kindle publishing is really a great idea to generate huge cash..though its not new to me. whatever thanks for share with everybody with good Introductory text :iagree:

A little unsure what the "whatever" is all about...My best guess is you didn't really mean it that way but it comes across as a kind of rude acknowledgement of Held for Ransom's significant contribution.

If you have something of value to add about Kindle publishing, whether in support of or against it as a biz model, I'm sure we'd all be glad to hear it.

Dirk Pitt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Dec 10, 2011
You continue to amaze... and motivate me. I've done some research of my own and have taken action to start my own writing. Speed+

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
You continue to amaze... and motivate me. I've done some research of my own and have taken action to start my own writing. Speed+
Thanks alot, that's very kind. Congrats on getting started, looking forward to hearing about your success!

HardWorker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 13, 2013
Hello,

Just though I would come and say thank you and Hello.

I read the Millionaire Fastlane only two weeks ago, and whilst doing further research on fastlane forum I came across your brilliant thread.

Held for Ransom, thank you so much for all the brilliant information you have shared. I have been so inspired by your posts that I have just posted my first novel to KDP Select :)

At the moment I have found a genre which I think is under represented, but I definitely need to do some more research. Would you please PM me the link to your tool?

Thank you again :)

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Great story. I published about 5-8 titles before I fell off. Eventually, my titles were filtered (it's an explicit niche) and I allowed the dwindling action to discourage me. I'm getting back on my path.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
Good to see that you are hanging in there Lauryn. I know how discouraging setbacks can be.

bigbyte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 9, 2013
Very interesting discussion. Definitely motivating!!! I have published two non-fiction books in a certain self-help niche. One is selling a little bit, while the other one is facing fierce competition. There is definitely a lot of volume - steady volume that is. The books might not make it into the 1000s, but it seems like they stay on a certain level much longer and provide more stable income. But getting my second book (less niche specific) up there is definitely a struggle. The more niche specific you go, the easier the sale. If you go generic in that niche, that's where the action is - but hard to get there.

If I could get a link to that tool, I would highly appreciate it as well.

Many years ago I had self-published a book and it was off the market for a few years now when the contract had expired. I re-published it on Kindle and it makes 20-30 sales per month and 20-30 rents, too. If you have some older stuff, definitely worth 2 hours of your time to re-publish it.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Progress alert! Based on the inspiration of this thread, I've picked up fiction-writing again. In a new record for me, I've just drafted a whole book in three weeks. It's in a short genre, and my book is just 18,000 words, but it's amazing what can be accomplished when you're motivated and inspired.

I still need to create some illustrations, but I should be publishing it within the next month. See, this is one reason this forum is so great. It motivates action.

THANKS AGAIN, Held for Ransom, for sharing your success and expertise. Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing it with another person, I'd love the tool you've mentioned.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
In a new record for me, I've just drafted a whole book in three weeks.

Awesome! Way to go ChickenHawk! Speed++!!

I'm stoked for you. You have no idea how far ahead this puts you of most others. No matter your results... good, bad or so-so-so, just keep going.

So happy for you. PM sent!

TopChef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
May 22, 2013
Near San Diego
Hello Held for Ransom. Very inspired by what you have accomplished.

Could you also PM me a link to the tool?

Thank you!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
HFR, amazing story and very inspiring. Just finished reading the whole thread. We're currently visiting my mom for a few weeks and she mentions that she has written 2 books and 5 shorts and recently starting writing a 3rd book. I couldn't believe it, I had no idea she was into writing! As she was telling me all about it she seemed a bit sad. I asked her why. She said everyone says I should publish them but I have no idea how to find a publisher or even get one to consider it.

I began telling her about self publishing and how people are selling their books on amazon. No need for a publisher. She got very excited at the prospect of being able to get her works out in the world without much hassle. So I'm helping her learn what she needs to learn to take this next steps. I let her read your thread as well and she is very motivated. One of the challenges is that she has hand-written all of them so it will be a daunting task to get them all typed out. She thinking about getting the Dragon software but that could be more problem than help.

Could you also forward the information about the tool you use.

Thanks so much.

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
From KDP help...

Dimensions

Requirements for the size of your cover art have an ideal height/width ratio of 1.6, this means:

• A minimum of 625 pixels on the shortest side and 1000 pixels on the longest side
• For best quality, your image would be 1563 pixels on the shortest side and 2500 pixels on the longest side

Just thought I'll add my 2c as I do cover design regularly for my own books and others. The 1.6 ratio in the official docs is awkward to say the least, and pretty much only used by self-pubbers. The big publishers stick to their regular proportions, haven't seen many that would re-do a cover to fit the 1.6 ratio. Hence I tend to use a 6x9 size making sure that the min. dimensions are matched - IMHO it makes the author look more professional. I also like to do covers in 300dpi - as you don't have to tear your hair out if you decide later that you need a print version for say CreateSpace...

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Any thoughts on whether the gender of the audiance targeted should have any impact on the gender of the pen name?

I would love to see the tool as well if you are still willing to share.

Thanks

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
From what I understand, women buy books, like them written in female first perspective. The author's name then, is also female.

I've seen it split with his/hers and also just his, but above is what popular by far

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
HFR,

I'll add my voice to the "thank you's". Good post.

I didn't see any mention of this, so my apologies if it came up already: for any Kindle authors out there, I highly recommend that you check out "The Self Publishing Podcast" by Johnny B. Truant. It's good stuff.

If you're still sharing, I'd love a link to the tool you're working on.

Thx,
MN

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Since this is turning into an author hangout thread, some good advice here on writing:

[video=youtube;2dTQWQXhSJU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dTQWQXhSJU[/video]

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
She said everyone says I should publish them but I have no idea how to find a publisher or even get one to consider it.

I can say firsthand, getting a traditional publisher to consider a book is incredibly demoralizing. The first novel I wrote, I managed to secure a top New York agent to represent it, (odds of this alone are like 10,000-to-one, based on agent stats), and my book still didn't sell. My second novel couldn't even generate agent-interest. Both of these books were in the 90,000 word range. This meant I spent months and months on something that would never see the light of day by the traditional route.

I only mention this to reinforce how empowering the concepts described in this thread are. You can write a book and KNOW it will get published, because you're the one doing it.

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
We're currently visiting my mom for a few weeks and she mentions that she has written 2 books and 5 shorts and recently starting writing a 3rd book. I couldn't believe it, I had no idea she was into writing!

That's so cool Allen! I hope that she's able to find some success with her writing.

Any thoughts on whether the gender of the audiance targeted should have any impact on the gender of the pen name?

From what I understand, women buy books, like them written in female first perspective. The author's name then, is also female.

Well for my niche, I looked at who the bestselling writers were. They all had female pen names so I made up a female pen name. Interestingly, I've since learned that a number of them are men as well. I can't say whether it has absolutely made the difference for me but, just like everything else I do, I'm not trying to be a trailblazer. YMMV...

My second novel couldn't even generate agent-interest. Both of these books were in the 90,000 word range. This meant I spent months and months on something that would never see the light of day by the traditional route.

Yikes! Yeah, if it wasn't for self-pubbing, I definitely wouldn't be doing this. What a depressing scenario Chicken Hawk - wow. That's so great for you that are able to finally go for what you want!

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
PMs sent everyone. Let me know if you didn't get the link!

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
After reviewing theweeklings.com post linked to by Ron https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/mi...shit-writer-s-top-10-excuses-not-writing.html

I read a related post on that site by another author, it was titled 8 Ways To Ensure You Write A Shitty First Novel | The Weeklings.

One of the points the author made was number 8.

"8. Write according to ‘What’s Hot.’

Now, although I prescribed ignoring your readership in order to F*ck up your first novel beyond recognition, you can also create a pretty bad piece of nonsense from writing what the market demands. Not to say that keeping up with what’s new and innovative is going to make your novel suffer, but if you write only according to what a current trend happens to deem ‘in,’ chances are you’ll end up a) F*cking it up, and b) missing the boat. Trends in fiction change so regularly that by the time you’re finished writing your YA dystopian fantasy the publishers will be searching for utopian up-market paranormal dog fiction. So although you certainly won’t destroy a novel as much as you might when writing about the Human Condition, you’ll definitely run the chance of digging your book’s grave before it’s even born. Originality, as pointed out in #3, can be awful. But it never hurts to try and create something new. If you write according to the Market’s oleaginous and ever changing wants, then you’re on a way one way trek to poopsville."

What are everyone's thoughts on this, especially you, Held For Ransom?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Now, although I prescribed ignoring your readership in order to F*ck up your first novel beyond recognition, you can also create a pretty bad piece of nonsense from writing what the market demands. Not to say that keeping up with what’s new and innovative is going to make your novel suffer, but if you write only according to what a current trend happens to deem ‘in,’ chances are you’ll end up a) F*cking it up, and b) missing the boat. Trends in fiction change so regularly that by the time you’re finished writing your YA dystopian fantasy the publishers will be searching for utopian up-market paranormal dog fiction. So although you certainly won’t destroy a novel as much as you might when writing about the Human Condition, you’ll definitely run the chance of digging your book’s grave before it’s even born. Originality, as pointed out in #3, can be awful. But it never hurts to try and create something new. If you write according to the Market’s oleaginous and ever changing wants, then you’re on a way one way trek to poopsville."[/I]

What are everyone's thoughts on this, especially you, Held For Ransom?

If you read this carefully enough, you can see the paragraph actually has no point. The author is too afraid to commit, and I would bet it is because he lacks the experience to actually KNOW which is better.

I'll take the advice of people who made money in this - and I'll write WHAT SELLS first. Later, what I think is fun to write for myself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.