The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Headaches and Fatigue

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Does anyone else here struggle with headaches and fatigue? I've had chronic headaches since elementary school and was put on prescription medicine for a while. I stopped taking the medicine sometime in my pre-teens, (I'm 31 now) and just take Excedrin because it seems to do the job just as good. I get them every day, and I take medicine up to 2-3 times a day. I hate taking pills and I'd like to eliminate this. My mom also has chronic migraines, so I guess it could be hereditary.

I also feel fatigued and tired for no reason all the time. Maybe it's brain fog, I'm not sure.

I've told myself for years that these were just excuses for not wanting to work as hard as I can and that I just need to suck it up, but I think it's an issue worth looking into. Sometimes I wonder what would be possible if I didn't feel like this all the time.

So, before I head to the doctor, does anyone or has anyone suffered from headaches or fatigue? What helped? Thanks in advance to anyone who offers some help!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Does it seem like headaches or migraines? Have you ever got allergy tests done? I was getting horrible migraines every day and found that I was actually pretty allergic to dust. I get allergy injections now and it's been slowly going away over time.

Fid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 26, 2017
Wroclaw, Poland
I can relate only to the fatigue part, as that happens to me quite often.

Make sure you get enough sleep - that varies person to person of course, but as 7 hrs is not enough for me, I sometimes consider 2hrs more sleep as an investment. During the week when I need to attend my job and wake up a 6 a.m. (thus sleeping 6 - 6.5hrs) I feel like being 50% away, even after several hours of being awake + coffee.
Excercise intensively and regularly - works like a charm for me.
Try power naps - works like a charm for me.
Avoid simple carbs.
And B complex, D (especially in winter when you don't get enough of the sunshine), Mg supplementation might be helpful.

And yeah, do undergo some medical tests - like blood pressure, blood sugar (maybe diabetes you are unaware of?), thyroid hormones.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Does anyone else here struggle with headaches and fatigue? I've had chronic headaches since elementary school and was put on prescription medicine for a while. I stopped taking the medicine sometime in my pre-teens, (I'm 31 now) and just take Excedrin because it seems to do the job just as good. I get them every day, and I take medicine up to 2-3 times a day. I hate taking pills and I'd like to eliminate this. My mom also has chronic migraines, so I guess it could be hereditary.

I also feel fatigued and tired for no reason all the time. Maybe it's brain fog, I'm not sure.

I've told myself for years that these were just excuses for not wanting to work as hard as I can and that I just need to suck it up, but I think it's an issue worth looking into. Sometimes I wonder what would be possible if I didn't feel like this all the time.

So, before I head to the doctor, does anyone or has anyone suffered from headaches or fatigue? What helped? Thanks in advance to anyone who offers some help!
Whenever fatigue or headaches kick in, I do cardio. Everyone is different though. It is hard to do something like head out for a run when you are not feeling well. But, it works for me.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Electrolyte imbalance can be the culprit. It is so overlooked it is not even funny. The list of things impacted by it is quite long.

Now you should be careful: level too high or too low is problematic. I am not a doctor nor a medical professional, and thus cant provide any recommended dose. Also, a disclaimer to make your own research.

but...

I will say try to drink electrolyte supplements (avoid those with sugar or too much sugar), hydrate properly and see after 3-5days if your state improves. The odd in my opinion is high that you will have positive effects.

Look at your overall nutrition too. When I switched to the ketogenic diet + intermittent fasting, my overall health level increased dramatically. And that even though I was eating quite healthy before that. I am not saying you should try that, it is not for everyone: no keto is way better than bad keto.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Have you ever had any testing done? It could be allergies, food sensitivities, bad posture, vitamin deficiencies, a bad pillow, dehydration, etc. Definitely see a doctor.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
First and foremost, seek advice from a medical professional. I've gone through periods of low energy and I got blood testing done at a local lab. Now, I am now sure how it works in South Carolina, but in Canada, we get this service for free.

Second, do some research. You are going to get a bunch of different information from within this post as what people have experienced and tried to combat their fatigue. Each person is different and as a result, has likely used different strategies.

Lastly, check your weight, nutrition and exercise routine. It could be a matter of developing a simple exercise routine if you have not developed one already. Combo this, with clean eating and a sufficient amount of water intake and you, will likely see some positive changes quite quickly. Water intake is important and a lot of health professionals recommend 2 to 3 liters per day.

For supplements, I keep it pretty simple. I take a multivitamin, magnesium, vitamin D, calcium and krill oil pills.

Best of luck on your health journey!

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Excercise intensively and regularly

Avoid simple carbs.

When I switched to the ketogenic diet + intermittent fasting, my overall health level increased dramatically.

It could be allergies, food sensitivities, bad posture, vitamin deficiencies, a bad pillow, dehydration, etc.

I agree with these replies as well. I'd be willing to bet it's diet related.

I can't speak for the headaches as I don't get them regularly but I have experienced fatigue for a good part of my life. When I started cutting back on dairy and anything made with wheat flour my fatigue reduced significantly. When I started exercising on a regular basis on top of that, I found my need to nap was almost gone completely.

Everyone is different and as mentioned by others, seek advice from a health professional whether it be and MD, ND or RHN.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
Back to basics: How much water do you drink?

My mom got weekly migraines and was prescribed all types of meds. I told her the second she felt one come on to chug a huge glass of water

Went away mostly..

90% of the world is chronically dehydrated (I made that stat up) but no doctor will ever ask you that

My favorite professor and I agreed that the magic formula is 1 gallon a day + 1 litre for every hour of exercise

Do that for 2 weeks and if you still have symptoms, tackle your nutrition.. Supplements are a last resort you can solve most things with water and whole foods

Source: I studied holistic nutrition, GF has 5 years of dietetics in uni, cured my mom's migraines, I don't get migraines, etc.

p.s. if you want more help with your nutrition feel free to reach out. I have a wealth of knowledge as it's been my passion for many years and my gf is starting her business as a nutrition coach and would be happy to help pro bono as she gains experience

Last edited:

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Have you tried the Wim Hof Iceman breathing technique?

Also how well ventilated is your daily work/living situation?

I recently read a study that showed people who sleep with a window or a door open, get a better night of sleep. The CO2 that you breathe out pools around you. While it may seem negligible, it adds up over the long term. So it probably applies to working in an office as well.

AnAverageJoe

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Thanks for all your support and feedback guys, I really love this place.

Try taking a daily Vitamin B12 complex and Magnesium supplement.

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Have you ever got allergy tests done?

Have you ever had any testing done?

Now, I am now sure how it works in South Carolina, but in Canada, we get this service for free.

I've never had any testing done, unfortunately. I've had bad experiences with doctors that have turned me off to these types of things. Probably something I need to get over and go in and get it done.

It's definitely not free in South Carolina, but probably worth the investment.

Make sure you get enough sleep

This is a huge issue for me. I haven't had consistent sleep in years. I definitely need to put more effort into getting to bed at a decent time.

Whenever fatigue or headaches kick in, I do cardio.

I actually just started a daily 30-minute exercise routine that has a lot of cardio. It seems to be helping. No part of me wanted to do it today, but I did feel a little better when I was done.

I will say try to drink electrolyte supplements (avoid those with sugar or too much sugar)

Thanks, are there any you recommend? I know about Powerade, Gatorade, and "Vitamin" Water, but I know they're loaded with sugars.

When I started cutting back on dairy and anything made with wheat flour my fatigue reduced significantly.

I've been trying to eat healthy for a while now, but I haven't done a lot of research. I'm just doing the obvious stuff like cutting out sugars, avoiding the processed and "enriched" stuff, more fruits and veggies, less greasy burgers, etc. Maybe I should spend more time researching nutrition.

Back to basics: How much water do you drink?

p.s. if you want more help with your nutrition feel free to reach out. I have a wealth of knowledge as it's been my passion for many years and my gf is starting her business as a nutrition coach and would be happy to help pro bono as she gains experience

I know I'm not drinking as much water as I should. I'll go through spurts where I keep track of my water intake and do really well, but then I'll go days where I barely drink anything. I need to get more disciplined with this.

And thank you, that's an amazing offer. I will definitely reach out to you about that. Thanks again!

Have you tried the Wim Hof Iceman breathing technique?

I have, yes. I did it a few years ago when it really started to gain traction, and then just stopped. It seemed to help back then, I should start doing it again. Maybe I'll even try some cold showers.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help and information. It is greatly appreciated!

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
I've never had any testing done, unfortunately. I've had bad experiences with doctors that have turned me off to these types of things. Probably something I need to get over and go in and get it done.

Maybe try a Naturopath or RHN vs. a traditional doctor. They tend to be more concerned about fixing the problem vs. masking the symptoms with pills.

@rogainer gave you an offer that I think you should follow up on 1st.

Chromozone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Oct 28, 2015
United Kingdom
As a physician all I'd say is to at the very least get seen by a doctor, who will rule out any important medical conditions which will require further investigations / management and to get your eyes tested.

If the optician and your doctor can't find anything to worry about then you should concentrate on lifestyle changes which could be having an impact on your headaches.

Also, stop taking those pain killers every day because at this point they're probably one of the main causes of your headaches ( Medication overuse headache - Wikipedia )

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I get migraines like the last three days. I usually just take Ibuprofen. I used to get fatigued a lot, but than I learned it's because I'm an Introvert, and just need time by myself to recharge. I don't hang around negative people as much either. They can drain you from just complaining all the time, thinking negatively, and taking up your time. I don't watch negative movies, or listen to negative music often. I found this does impact the way you feel. I get lectured all the time for not watching the news, but I understand the worlds problems already, I don't see it changing soon, and usually if there is some kind of catastrophe it ends up on social media, so I never miss anything big. You can count on the herd alerting you on anything. lol

I like a lot of quiet time or listening to soft music. Migraines are usually a few times a month. Sleep helps. Hot showers. Resting my thoughts sometimes because my brain likes to figure out things all the time. lol

JoelM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Feb 21, 2018
Maryland, MD
Allergies and sinus is very common and some of the symptoms are headaches, fatigue, dizziness. If it's that, it can be controlled with exercise, healthy food, etc. Maybe your environment is not helping you (old carpet, dirt, animals, etc). Fresh air, sunlight and good food cures many things.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Thanks, are there any you recommend? I know about Powerade, Gatorade, and "Vitamin" Water, but I know they're loaded with sugars.

You can start with Gatorade, one or two for few days. I think that will be enough to see if electrolytes are the culprit. Before committing long term.

I use Ultima Electrolytes replenisher.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Start with the simple solutions first: divide your body weight in half & drink that many ounces of water in a day.

I start each morning with a liter of water & only have good things to say about it.

Start simple, then get more complex. Water is easy, cheap & convenient. Take it from there.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
You can start with Gatorade, one or two for few days

I have to disagree with this. Sugar and artificial colours won't help you. There are plenty of homemade recipes that will boost your electrolytes plus, you control of the ingredients.

EDIT:

I checked out Ultima and it looks like a good commercially available electrolyte drink.

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho

What's your diet? You may want to look into it if you haven't. Could be caffeine, sugar, etc... Maybe try fasting for 2-3 days and reintroduce healthy foods to see what happens.

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho
I have to disagree with this. Sugar and artificial colours won't help you. There are plenty of homemade recipes that will boost your electrolytes plus, you control of the ingredients.

EDIT:

I checked out Ultima and it looks like a good commercially available electrolyte drink.
You can start with Gatorade, one or two for few days. I think that will be enough to see if electrolytes are the culprit. Before committing long term.

I use Ultima Electrolytes replenisher.
Gatorade, Powerade are stupid. Full of sugar including corn syrup for hydration?!?!? Just get some Nuns if you want to put electrolytes in your water.

AnAverageJoe

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
If the optician and your doctor can't find anything to worry about then you should concentrate on lifestyle changes which could be having an impact on your headaches.

Also, stop taking those pain killers every day because at this point they're probably one of the main causes of your headaches ( Medication overuse headache - Wikipedia )

I get my eyes examed every two years and the optician has never found anything wrong. Just have to go to the doctor to get them to rule out everything.

Thanks for pointing out the MOH headaches. I've heard something about them before, but never looked into it. I definitely think this could be a problem for me. I tried quitting cold turkey yesterday and go all day without taking any pills, but by the end of the day I caved and took one. But, one pill instead of four is an improvement.

Fighting through the pain is going to be tough.

I get migraines like the last three days. I usually just take Ibuprofen. I used to get fatigued a lot, but than I learned it's because I'm an Introvert, and just need time by myself to recharge. I don't hang around negative people as much either. They can drain you from just complaining all the time, thinking negatively, and taking up your time. I don't watch negative movies, or listen to negative music often. I found this does impact the way you feel. I get lectured all the time for not watching the news, but I understand the worlds problems already, I don't see it changing soon, and usually if there is some kind of catastrophe it ends up on social media, so I never miss anything big. You can count on the herd alerting you on anything. lol

I like a lot of quiet time or listening to soft music. Migraines are usually a few times a month. Sleep helps. Hot showers. Resting my thoughts sometimes because my brain likes to figure out things all the time. lol

I'm a total introvert, and I never realized that could be contributing to my fatigue. I've mentioned on the forums before that I work a very fast paced, in your face job that doesn't fit my personality at all. I also have two crazy kids and no babysitter, so I never get that alone time to recharge. Maybe I should make a point to start getting some. Thank you for posting this.

I also stopped watching the news. I never thought how much that would improve my mood on a daily basis.

Fresh air, sunlight and good food cures many things.

The weather is starting to warm up here, I'll be spending a lot of time outside. :)

There are plenty of homemade recipes that will boost your electrolytes plus, you control of the ingredients.

I never knew there were homemade recipes for electrolyte drinks, thank you for posting this! I'm going to start researching right away.

Post your typical daily intake, that will help us give you better advice.

I'll have to start a food journal to see what I'm really taking in every day. I feel like I eat pretty healthy. We cook every meal at home and eat out rarely. We never cook any processed foods and cook everything from scratch. There's fruit in the house for snacks, and we don't keep any junk food in the house. Proteins bars and trail mix for quick snacks. I'll have maybe one soda a week (I'm trying to eliminate that one) and all I usually drink is water, even though I know I don't drink enough every day.

Maybe I'll do that food journal to see everything I'm really eating. I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking about right now.

Thanks again guys, this information has been priceless.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.