The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have We Lost Our Hunger?

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Twenty years ago ABS brakes and a cassette player were luxuries in a car. Now an entry level car is highly likely to feature ABS, stability control, curtain and seat airbags, bluetooth and mp3 compatibility, crumple zones, electronic gadgets galore etc..

20 years ago a computer would take up much of your desk. Now you can fit inside a phone a chip with greater computing power.

Maybe the majority of people are getting lazier and more complacent but clearly innovation isn't slowing up a great deal. Perhaps a smaller number of people are leveraging technology to make greater innovations?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

redox

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 19, 2011
Brea, CA
Twenty years ago ABS brakes and a cassette player were luxuries in a car. Now an entry level car is highly likely to feature ABS, stability control, curtain and seat airbags, bluetooth and mp3 compatibility, crumple zones, electronic gadgets galore etc..

20 years ago a computer would take up much of your desk. Now you can fit inside a phone a chip with greater computing power.

Maybe the majority of people are getting lazier and more complacent but clearly innovation isn't slowing up a great deal. Perhaps a smaller number of people are leveraging technology to make greater innovations?

I'd go even further and say it isn't a smaller number of people leveraging technology. More people are leveraging technology today than ever before.

For me, I think there has always been apathy and sloth in society. With technology and the media it is more visible than ever. Today everything you do leaves a trail which others can observe. We are becoming more aware of the lazy elements in our society and are finally trying to figure out what to do with them so they are more productive.

A

Anon3587x

I don’t care what anybody else is doing; or not doing for the matter.

Makes not a damn difference to my immediate reality.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I don’t care what anybody else is doing; or not doing for the matter.

Makes not a damn difference to my immediate reality.

So you don't care if nobody visits your website? hmm ok ;)

Good job getting some sign ups by BTW.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
I often wonder what % of the unemployed population is unimployed because they're just lazy. My age group has an all time high unemployment rate. At the same time, the security company I work for can't find enough officers. Many of the employees are just plain bad workers with no work ethic. Otherwise, it's not hard to get employed by this company if you have work ethic and the willingness to improve.

Basically the animal drive we used to have doesn't seem to exist in most people. The weekends are too important. TVs too important, "friend" time is too important. Work more than you have to is unheard of and seems horrible to most.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I often wonder what % of the unemployed population is unimployed because they're just lazy. My age group has an all time high unemployment rate. At the same time, the security company I work for can't find enough officers. Many of the employees are just plain bad workers with no work ethic. Otherwise, it's not hard to get employed by this company if you have work ethic and the willingness to improve.

Basically the animal drive we used to have doesn't seem to exist in most people. The weekends are too important. TVs too important, "friend" time is too important. Work more than you have to is unheard of and seems horrible to most.

I kind of understand that sentiment though. Why would anyone be motivated to work for someone else? People shouldn't be trying hard at the security company you work at; they should be trying hard at their own fastlane plans. Otherwise, they're just helping to enrich whoever owns that security company by being good employees. I think people should do enough to avoid getting fired from their jobs and pursue their own fastlane plans on the side.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
I kind of understand that sentiment though. Why would anyone be motivated to work for someone else? People shouldn't be trying hard at the security company you work at; they should be trying hard at their own fastlane plans. Otherwise, they're just helping to enrich whoever owns that security company by being good employees. I think people should do enough to avoid getting fired from their jobs and pursue their own fastlane plans on the side.
True.

Although I don't think everyone can become an entrepreneur(or has the patience) my passion for this job dies on a daily basis and is the reason I have fastlane plans.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I think people should do enough to avoid getting fired from their jobs and pursue their own fastlane plans on the side.

I know what you mean, but I hope my employees don't have that mentality or act like that. Doing the minimum, and acting like it, is a sure method to kill the golden goose.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

Clintons right. Not everyone has the ability or motivation to be an entrepreneur. A majority of the people that are not motivated to work for someone else also are not motivated to work at all. They would never put in the time and effort that all of us in this forum know are needed to be successful. Most people in this country don't think like we do. They want everything handed to them. Like MJ says in his book, millions of people buy books from the "Guru's" because they are looking to "Get rich quick". When they find out that they have to put time and effort in to it, they give up.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I know what you mean, but I hope my employees don't have that mentality or act like that. Doing the minimum, and acting like it, is a sure method to kill the golden goose.

It's a safe bet that most of your employees don't have any ambitions outside of work. Only a small percentage of the population, probably less than 5%, actually has a fastlane type of mindset. The rest plan on working until they're 65 so their jobs are important to them.

I see my job as a way to fund my fastlane plans, not as my sole source of income. I want to get to the point within the next 10-15 years where I can walk away from my job and never have to work again.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
It's a safe bet that most of your employees don't have any ambitions outside of work. Only a small percentage of the population, probably less than 5%, actually has a fastlane type of mindset. The rest plan on working until they're 65 so their jobs are important to them.

I see my job as a way to fund my fastlane plans, not as my sole source of income. I want to get to the point within the next 10-15 years where I can walk away from my job and never have to work again.
Same here, even though I enjoy my job now and then it's a necessary evil. I have many much more enjoyable things to do than work for The Man.

But on that other note, yes, we need a healthy amount of employees to work for our companies and be "good workers" for us Fastlaners. Otherwise we're screwed.

Hokoleskwa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
May 25, 2011
Denver
I agree with the assessment, but I struggle with how I feel about it. As a person trying to get ahead in the world, I can't help but think that if others want to slack off, that just means more cake for me. In every job I've ever held, competing with people my own age has been like shooting fish in a barrel. Just showing up on time and having a positive attitude puts me at the front of the pack half the time.

On the flip side, as an American and a budding entrepreneur I know that competition makes me step up my game, and I want my country to continue to be the best place for opportunity in the world.

It's probably going to take a big kick in the butt to get the country as a whole motivated. Something like Sputnik, but probably even bigger. It can't be dictated to us though, it will have to come naturally.

Autonomust

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
May 27, 2011
Northeast PA
I agree with the assessment, but I struggle with how I feel about it. As a person trying to get ahead in the world, I can't help but think that if others want to slack off, that just means more cake for me.

Thats exactly what I use to stay ahead lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.