The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have a problem with my family

Om4rdev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 17, 2021
Hello community, I am new, I am from Peru, I would like to tell my story but it is boring and long so I will summarize that: by the standards of my society I was a little genius and now I am a failure in the eyes of my parents and my friends. I begin by saying that when I finish school, I immediately arrive at a prestigious university at the age of 17, the truth seemed to me a waste of time, and the educational system in my country is crap. I decided to leave and I told my family that I was going to earn money online, although I did not know anything, I only knew very little English and the Spanish content is pure SCAM, I fell into the lies of earning with dropshipping and Fb ads but no I had not a penny, I decided to create a Funnel agency, total failure besides that in Peru he did not care about that, I decided to improve my English to full, now I can understand better and I run into SEO, monetize with Amazon Affiliates and Adsense but I have Given that if you do not have a budget for Linkbuilding campaigns, it is very difficult to position micro-niches, so even though I have earned a few cents on the dollar, I feel like a failure. More than 1 year has passed, my family holds everything in my face and I have decided to lose many friends. Until recently I decided to be a freelancer, automate processes as a web developer, open an agency for it and get into a specific sector of web development in Europe and the US as a freelancer, I don't know how to tell my parents that I want to leave the seo, I'm sure They will put it in the face, I'm feeling lonely. I only know that I have started to read the first book by MJ DeMarco and the problem was me in many ways, I have already stepped on shit for many months, it is time for my change. I will be commenting on my process as a freelancer web developer, greetings.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alxf

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Feb 28, 2021
Japan
Hello community, I am new, I am from Peru, I would like to tell my story but it is boring and long so I will summarize that: by the standards of my society I was a little genius and now I am a failure in the eyes of my parents and my friends. I begin by saying that when I finish school, I immediately arrive at a prestigious university at the age of 17, the truth seemed to me a waste of time, and the educational system in my country is crap. I decided to leave and I told my family that I was going to earn money online, although I did not know anything, I only knew very little English and the Spanish content is pure SCAM, I fell into the lies of earning with dropshipping and Fb ads but no I had not a penny, I decided to create a Funnel agency, total failure besides that in Peru he did not care about that, I decided to improve my English to full, now I can understand better and I run into SEO, monetize with Amazon Affiliates and Adsense but I have Given that if you do not have a budget for Linkbuilding campaigns, it is very difficult to position micro-niches, so even though I have earned a few cents on the dollar, I feel like a failure. More than 1 year has passed, my family holds everything in my face and I have decided to lose many friends. Until recently I decided to be a freelancer, automate processes as a web developer, open an agency for it and get into a specific sector of web development in Europe and the US as a freelancer, I don't know how to tell my parents that I want to leave the seo, I'm sure They will put it in the face, I'm feeling lonely. I only know that I have started to read the first book by MJ DeMarco and the problem was me in many ways, I have already stepped on shit for many months, it is time for my change. I will be commenting on my process as a freelancer web developer, greetings.
Your family and friends, in general, wants the best for you.

Your family and friends, however, don't know anything about living a successful life, and have no ability to actually give you useful advice or direction. They mean well.. but ignore them.

My own family, even my mom who is reasonably successful all told me not to pursue the business that's now working very well for me. Why? Because they had no experience with business, and in their world, business is not how to make money.

It's fine that you "failed". You are very young, and there is no reason that you *should* succeed on your first, second, or third try. Think of business as a skill. When you started, at 17, your skill was ZERO. Why should you expect to succeed?

Start with something simple. Web development. Whatever. Don't try to make a complex, scalable business first. Just start earning some money. Don't over think. Don't try to take a shortcut with bullshit get-rich-quick schemes.

You have time. Take it slow.

Keep learning, keep trying, and you will eventually improve your skill, understanding, and results. Your family, will, at that time, start to respect you.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
You don't need anybody's permission, therefore you don't need to explain your business. Just smile and nod and change the subject.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Maybe I missed something. Where are you living? Who is putting food in your mouth? Who is financing your attempts at business? If you are financially independent, you can do whatever you want, when you want to do it. Yes, business has a long learning curve. Yes, you are going to fail and fail again. If you are paying your own way and doing your own thing, you don't have to tell everyone around you a blow-by-blow recounting of your journey. It's your mouth and you can shut it. When asked, you can just say that you are doing fine.

Mike Stoian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Dec 24, 2019
Your family has no idea what they're talking about. They also have no right to tell you if you're a success or a failure. Nobody has that right. You should not care for what they have to say.
If you follow their advice, you will end up like them.

Probably the best thing you could do now is not to chase riches, but to get a decent income. You mentioned web development in your post. Go get a web developer job or become a freelancer. Be independent. Work from home. Then it's not going to matter as much what they say to you because you'll be more independent. There will be less stress and more time to think things through and start a proper business, which may take a lot of time and/or money.

Om4rdev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 17, 2021
Su familia y amigos, en general, quieren lo mejor para usted.

Sin embargo, su familia y amigos no saben nada sobre cómo vivir una vida exitosa y no tienen la capacidad de brindarle consejos o indicaciones útiles. Tienen buenas intenciones ... pero ignóralas.

Mi propia familia, incluso mi madre, que tiene un éxito razonable, me dijeron que no siguiera el negocio que ahora me está funcionando muy bien. ¿Por qué? Porque no tenían experiencia con los negocios, y en su mundo, los negocios no son cómo ganar dinero.

Está bien que "fallaste". Eres muy joven y no hay razón para que * debas * tener éxito en tu primer, segundo o tercer intento. Piense en los negocios como una habilidad. Cuando empezaste, a los 17, tu habilidad era CERO. ¿Por qué debería esperar tener éxito?

Empiece con algo simple. Desarrollo web. Lo que. No intente primero hacer un negocio complejo y escalable. Empiece a ganar algo de dinero. No pienses demasiado. No intente tomar un atajo con esquemas de mierda para hacerse rico rápidamente.

Tienes tiempo. Tomar con calma.

Siga aprendiendo, siga intentándolo y eventualmente mejorará su habilidad, comprensión y resultados. Tu familia, en ese momento, comenzará a respetarte.
Thank you very much to all of you for your words, you are right what you say, my parents seek the best of me and they do not know what this path of entrepreneurship is like, I better shut my mouth, I will dedicate myself to improving my web development skills, I will look for one I work as a freelancer and I will continue learning. If I had realized that at 17 and 18 I was only focused on making money, on looking for the easy way, no matter how much he tells me that I do deep work but now I will take things seriously, I will improve my sales skills, my English, my programming ability and see how to become independent to go to the US or another 1st world country

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thank you very much to all of you for your words, you are right what you say, my parents seek the best of me and they do not know what this path of entrepreneurship is like, I better shut my mouth, I will dedicate myself to improving my web development skills, I will look for one I work as a freelancer and I will continue learning. If I had realized that at 17 and 18 I was only focused on making money, on looking for the easy way, no matter how much he tells me that I do deep work but now I will take things seriously, I will improve my sales skills, my English, my programming ability and see how to become independent to go to the US or another 1st world country
You can do it from where you are since you are connected through the net. Being there is no excuse.
Just keep in mind -- at this point in your life, you are 100% responsible for yourself, both financially and spiritually. It's part of being an adult. You own the decisions you make and their results. At the same time, everything that you do affects the people around you that you love. Be kind and gentle with those people. Part of being kind is becoming successful so they no longer must feel responsible for your wellbeing. You want to come out with them bragging about you and your success.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.