The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have a problem with an idea...

Idea threads

Léon_Séguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 6, 2021
Hi,

My name is Leon Seguin, I had an idea for an application, the problem was, (when you are in a new city and you don't know where to eat/drink).
I had an idea for an application that would solve this problem and that would stand out from applications like Tripadvisor or Foursquare.

So I continued to develop my idea, I'm ready to raise funds, and only now I realize that my application is almost the same as the Fork (an application in the same field), except for some features more. I don't know what to do anymore, can you give me your opinion or advice ?

Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Hi,

My name is Leon Seguin, I had an idea for an application, the problem was, (when you are in a new city and you don't know where to eat/drink).
I had an idea for an application that would solve this problem and that would stand out from applications like Tripadvisor or Foursquare.

So I continued to develop my idea, I'm ready to raise funds, and only now I realize that my application is almost the same as the Fork (an application in the same field), except for some features more. I don't know what to do anymore, can you give me your opinion or advice ?

Thank you!
Same happen with me , during the development of my app , some big tech giant released same functionality of my app and for FREE!, however I decided to continue , later I found another big player also selling same functionality and even more feature packed than the first one, I just decided to continue, in the end there is something called market share , maybe the big one will own 80% and I ll own 20% of the market, it is not 100 or 0 . Beside that I see both of them are slow releasing new features , so it is my opportunity to find some features that they dont carry to be my competitive advances.
Beside that , there is always a possibility you will find new need and tweak your app to, but without app you have nothing to learn from or tweak .

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
now I realize that my application is almost the same as the Fork

That's great news! Sounds like your idea may very well NOT suck.

Try to validate it, get some clients, and then do what Fork is doing but BETTER!

You can do it...

I would never go into a market with 0 competition - it's a huge red flag that there's something missing that makes the barrier of entry insurmountable. If other people are prospering, there's room to jump in!

Good luck!

Léon_Séguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 6, 2021
Ce sont de bonnes nouvelles! On dirait que votre idée peut très bien ne pas sucer.

Essayez de le valider, obtenez des clients, puis faites ce que Fork fait mais EN MIEUX !

Tu peux le faire...

Je n'irais jamais sur un marché avec 0 concurrence - c'est un énorme drapeau rouge qu'il manque quelque chose qui rend la barrière d'entrée insurmontable. Si d'autres personnes prospèrent, il y a de la place pour intervenir !

Bonne chance!

Léon_Séguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 6, 2021
Bonjour, merci pour votre réponse !

Je vais essayer de me dévoiler mais les barrières à l'entrée sont hautes, il nous faut 100K pour démarrer le projet, et je crois que les investisseurs vont me rejeter car je n'ai que 16 ans et en France ce n'est pas bien accepté, et il va dites-moi pourquoi j'investirais dans cette application sachant que The Fork existe déjà, puis je commencerai à vous expliquer ce qu'on propose de plus, etc... mais le gros problème c'est que j'ai poussé cette idée jusqu'à la limite et toutes les fonctionnalités Je voulais ajouter étaient les mêmes que la fourchette à la fin. Vous me direz, fournissez de nouvelles fonctionnalités mais quand je fais des recherches sur les plaintes des utilisateurs sur mon concurrent la Fork répond à tous ces problèmes.....

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Shit homie try using google next time.

Wait until you hear about yelp lmao.

"Hey guys I have an awesome idea for a website where people can create a profile and connect with other people. It'll be like a book of faces so people can see their classmates and friends on there. We'll call it bookface, I hope it does well"

"....F*ck...guys you're never gonna believe it someone stole my idea".

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
Bonjour, merci pour votre réponse !

Je vais essayer de me dévoiler mais les barrières à l'entrée sont hautes, il nous faut 100K pour démarrer le projet, et je crois que les investisseurs vont me rejeter car je n'ai que 16 ans et en France ce n'est pas bien accepté, et il va dites-moi pourquoi j'investirais dans cette application sachant que The Fork existe déjà, puis je commencerai à vous expliquer ce qu'on propose de plus, etc... mais le gros problème c'est que j'ai poussé cette idée jusqu'à la limite et toutes les fonctionnalités Je voulais ajouter étaient les mêmes que la fourchette à la fin. Vous me direz, fournissez de nouvelles fonctionnalités mais quand je fais des recherches sur les plaintes des utilisateurs sur mon concurrent la Fork répond à tous ces problèmes.....

If you want to compete with established big business peeps you can't try to do everything they're doing and more. Pick one thing they do poorly and do that one thing better.

You shouldn't need $100k and investors to get started providing value.

Solve something specific. Integrate with the existing platforms which suck at it (like say with a chrome add-on) build an audience, get them to pay you, then build additional features after that.

Try to help people solve their problem as quickly as possible don't plan $100k multi-year development projects competing with whales.

If you're worried about other people having done what you're doing, then you're approaching this from the wrong direction.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.