MJ DeMarco
I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Read Choose Hard!
There are several "College" threads around here and it's been muttered a few times that college is a great "safety net". I myself, said this as well as I went through college already knowing I wanted to be an entrepreneur. I always thought my degree would be my "safety net" if things didn't work out.
Yet I wonder, has the "safety net" evaporated? Is it truly there anymore?
The fact is, I know more people with college degrees who are doing high school entry-level type jobs. It appears the old "college degree is a safety net" is starting to weaken, if not, already gone.
Here's just a few I know of in my sphere
Guy 1: He's working at Go Daddy as a tech support rep, for $10. The safety net of the degree didn't shield him from a menial job.
Woman 1: She is working as a sales rep for a wire company. Job didn't require college degree although she has one as well as several advanced certifications.
Woman 2: She is working in a mall doing retail sales. Again, she has a degree but is working at a job that requires none.
Guy 2: Driving taxis in the day and is bartending at night. Again, a degree but where's the "safety net?"
Guy 3: Lives at home with his parents and refuses to take any of these shitty jobs and blames it on the job market.
This makes me think that the assertion of a college degree being a "safety net" is now defunct ... at least temporarily.
What do you think?
Yet I wonder, has the "safety net" evaporated? Is it truly there anymore?
The fact is, I know more people with college degrees who are doing high school entry-level type jobs. It appears the old "college degree is a safety net" is starting to weaken, if not, already gone.
Here's just a few I know of in my sphere
Guy 1: He's working at Go Daddy as a tech support rep, for $10. The safety net of the degree didn't shield him from a menial job.
Woman 1: She is working as a sales rep for a wire company. Job didn't require college degree although she has one as well as several advanced certifications.
Woman 2: She is working in a mall doing retail sales. Again, she has a degree but is working at a job that requires none.
Guy 2: Driving taxis in the day and is bartending at night. Again, a degree but where's the "safety net?"
Guy 3: Lives at home with his parents and refuses to take any of these shitty jobs and blames it on the job market.
This makes me think that the assertion of a college degree being a "safety net" is now defunct ... at least temporarily.
What do you think?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
