The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
My children are 6 and 8. Not sure how it would affect their long term development by moving them now.

Kids adapt to change much better than adults. Having young children shouldn't be the sole reason not to relocate. The older they get, the harder it will be on them.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I fiddled around with my quantum physics machine and was able to see my life unfold as if I stayed in Chicago and did not move to a sunnier climate.

This is the only thing that it showed me...

iu

Fortunately for Americans the USA is large enough to be able to move to a sunnier climate inside the same Country. I'm quite aware that the distances between the hot and cold parts can be quite large but surely it's easier relocating and not having to learn a new language, new government regulations, apply for visas etc. Unfortunately for those of us from the UK and other colder EU countries that's not possible.

I'm not saying that's a reason not to make the move however.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Fortunately for Americans the USA is large enough to be able to move to a sunnier climate inside the same Country. I'm quite aware that the distances between the hot and cold parts can be quite large but surely it's easier relocating and not having to learn a new language, new government regulations, apply for visas etc. Unfortunately for those of us from the UK and other colder EU countries that's not possible.

It's almost like you haven't heard of Gibraltar!

/end joke

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
It's almost like you haven't heard of Gibraltar!

/end joke

Ha yes very true. Although not warm enough if this is anything to go by! Taken from a Gibraltar forum!

"Weather is generally mild in comparison to the UK, but don’t come expecting radiant sunshine and hot weather year round. Gibraltar is often cloudy, rainy, and only warm/hot for about five months of the year (May-October). "

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Ha yes very true. Although not warm enough if this is anything to go by! Taken from a Gibraltar forum!

"Weather is generally mild in comparison to the UK, but don’t come expecting radiant sunshine and hot weather year round. Gibraltar is often cloudy, rainy, and only warm/hot for about five months of the year (May-October). "

Sounds like someone trying to convince people not to go! The average temperatures are in the perfect range. Never too hot, never too cold. The coldest month is Jan with average temperatures of 16C and the warmest is August with average temperatures of 28C.

I'm really not trying to sell Gibraltar though! It just has a great climate

Eos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 5, 2011
England
Sounds like someone trying to convince people not to go! The average temperatures are in the perfect range. Never too hot, never too cold. The coldest month is Jan with average temperatures of 16C and the warmest is August with average temperatures of 28C.

I'm really not trying to sell Gibraltar though! It just has a great climate

And can you just move and work / do business there with no visa issues as a British citizen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
And can you just move and work / do business there with no visa issues as a British citizen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, in fact, everyone in the EU is. It's a British territory, and one with some of the lowest visa requirements.

Jonathan Polley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 26, 2016
Valencia, Spain
Sure, in fact, everyone in the EU is. It's a British territory, and one with some of the lowest visa requirements.
Well for the next two years a British Citizen can work and run a business anywhere in the EU. After Brexit happens, who knows although it's unlikely you would be booted out or treated any different to a EU citizen.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Fortunately for Americans the USA is large enough to be able to move to a sunnier climate inside the same Country.

I busted myself thinking the same and it's an excuse actually. You can go anywhere in South-Europe just like that, there's no iron curtain or something (only if you want to go from south to north lol).

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014

True, the US is huge and we can move to many different climates without crossing a single border. No permission required, no passport, no problem. The amazing thing is how many of my fellow Americans just don't do so. You don't have to look hard to find people whining about their lame home town with its dead economy an nothing but nothing going on. In the Northeast I know people who are born, live and will die in a 50 mile radius with maybe a trip to Disney thrown into the mix.

I'm not sure than my observation really adds value to the conversation, but your post brought the thought to the front of my mind. It's a shame and a waste to live in such a self limiting way, but I see quite a bit of it.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
True, the US is huge and we can move to many different climates without crossing a single border. No permission required, no passport, no problem. The amazing thing is how many of my fellow Americans just don't do so. You don't have to look hard to find people whining about their lame home town with its dead economy an nothing but nothing going on. In the Northeast I know people who are born, live and will die in a 50 mile radius with maybe a trip to Disney thrown into the mix.

I'm not sure than my observation really adds value to the conversation, but your post brought the thought to the front of my mind. It's a shame and a waste to live in such a self limiting way, but I see quite a bit of it.

It's the same in the midwest. I'll often just randomly talk to people and they'll tell me their life story.

"I was born here, never really wanted to go anywhere else"

You can almost hear Mellencamp's "Small Town" playing in the background haha.

The world is so big and you want to spend your entire life in a town of 30,000 people???

franklindroosevelt1.jpg

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
@MidwestLandlord , if you really want a mind blowing experience, talk to a Rhode Islander. They all hate the place, but they have a salmon like draw that keeps them there or brings them back.

If you ask a New Yorker, they wouldn't live anyplace else. Before you ask a Texan what they like about Texas, make sure you have some time because Texans will tell you what they love about Texas. Ask a Rhode Islander about Little Rhody, and cover your children's ears. It won't be pretty. The only exception is Rhode Islanders who are outside of RI (like me.) We will tell you about the beautiful coast, the fishing, the incredible architecture and the vibrant art scene and some of the best dining anywhere. In RI, all you will hear is taxes, corruption that makes Nigerians blush,and the worst roads in the world. Yet they stay. Never leaving. Always talking about "gettin' outa hear" (always to Florida, which is the promised land apparently) but never ever moving.

It's bizarre, laughably predictable, and unique to the Rhode Islanders own brand of nihilism.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I just lived through my first "winter" in Arizona. We just moved from the Midwest to the Phoenix area last July. Every winter I would dread getting up and going out into the cold,ice,snow etc. this winter was absolutely fantastic! We were swimming in our pool into November and the pool temp is getting close to warm enough where we are itching to get in. We should be swimming again by the first week of March. The "winter" consisted of a few weeks where you had to wear a jacket and start the car to melt a little frost off a few early mornings. We left behind family and friends in the Midwest and obviously miss them but the pros definitely outweigh the cons IMO.
I had no idea you moved here! I think this winter was a bit colder than the previous three winters since we moved here. The "cold snap" lasted longer as well. However, the weather is incredible now.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
It's the same in the midwest. I'll often just randomly talk to people and they'll tell me their life story.

"I was born here, never really wanted to go anywhere else"

The thing about travel, is that you don't know what you're missing until you've done it.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
The thing about travel, is that you don't know what you're missing until you've done it.

All you're missing is the entire effing world.

It seems self-evident to me, and I've lived all over, but when I got back to my hometown in the Midwest of 50k people, I realize they aren't the least bit interested in travelling. It's odd. I'm not sure if they aren't interested, or they feel like it's totally out of grasp and don't want to be disappointed.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
It seems self-evident to me, and I've lived all over, but when I got back to my hometown in the Midwest of 50k people, I realize they aren't the least bit interested in travelling. It's odd. I'm not sure if they aren't interested, or they feel like it's totally out of grasp and don't want to be disappointed.

You gotta see it to believe it.

Plus, why would I want to spend $1200 on plane tickets when I could get a new couch and tv?

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
I find that the small town people are cliquey as well. If you leave and go on a several month trip they're gossipy about it.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
The weather makes a HUGE difference. I was born and grew up in the UK where it's pretty bad. India is the polar opposite. I don't get many 'bad' days but when I do - just sitting outside helps me to feel better. You need to keep on top of Vitamin D3 and B12 - it's a silent killer.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
If someone have good country recommendations please tell me, maybe there some hidden champions like Uruguay(havent been there but i heard a lot like good cost of living, banking secrecy, clean air, good schools, clean nature, good climate, good tax system, good food).

Here are some of my current top picks to investigate for part-time living based mostly on good weather (at least 15 degrees Celsius during the winter during the day), easy access to the wilderness and a culture I could probably fit into (in random order):
  • southern Spain (Andalusia, Valencia) - can be a bit too cold during the winter for my taste.
  • the Canary Islands - Tenerife, Gran Canaria, or Fuerteventura. These are all relatively small islands, so I'm not sure I could live there for more than a few weeks at a time.
  • Madeira - not as hot and dry as the Canary Islands, but still very nice.
  • New Zealand - a bit too much precipitation for me, plus a pain to get there. It's a huge plus it's in the Southern Hemisphere. A summer is always better than winter, even if it's winter in the Canary Islands (because temperature is still lower and days are still shorter). Very expensive.
  • Australia - as above, except for the precipitation.
  • Chile - many climates to choose from, and it's the Southern Hemisphere.
I didn't include Asia because for some reason it doesn't speak to me, but I guess that Taiwan, Malaysia and Indonesia can be good ideas as well. I'd also possibly consider Uruguay, Brazil, and Colombia and for a bit colder places (but still not that bad during the winter), Georgia, Montenegro and Albania.

You need to keep on top of Vitamin D3 and B12 - it's a silent killer.

It's important to note that supplementing D3 doesn't work as well as natural sun exposure - or at least it doesn't for me. I take D3 throughout the fall and winter (5,000 IU) and my energy levels and general well-being are never the same as during the summer. If I travel to a sunny and warm location during the winter, though, my energy immediately dramatically increases.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Here are some of my current top picks to investigate for part-time living based mostly on good weather (at least 15 degrees Celsius during the winter during the day), easy access to the wilderness and a culture I could probably fit into (in random order):
  • southern Spain (Andalusia, Valencia) - can be a bit too cold during the winter for my taste.
  • the Canary Islands - Tenerife, Gran Canaria, or Fuerteventura. These are all relatively small islands, so I'm not sure I could live there for more than a few weeks at a time.
  • New Zealand - a bit too much precipitation for me, plus a pain to get there. It's a huge plus it's in the Southern Hemisphere. A summer is always better than winter, even if it's winter in the Canary Islands (because temperature is still lower and days are still shorter). Very expensive.
I didn't include Asia because for some reason it doesn't speak to me, but I guess that Taiwan, Malaysia and Indonesia can be good ideas as well. I'd also possibly consider Uruguay, Brazil, and Colombia and for a bit colder places (but still not that bad during the winter), Georgia, Montenegro and Albania.

It's important to note that supplementing D3 doesn't work as well as natural sun exposure - or at least it doesn't for me. I take D3 throughout the fall and winter (5,000 IU) and my energy levels and general well-being are never the same as during the summer. If I travel to a sunny and warm location during the winter, though, my energy immediately dramatically increases.

I had to take a course of 5 injections to get my Vitamin stores up. I'm on tablets now for 3 months. I have a healthy diet so it can only be down to the lack sun exposure.

Last edited:

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen

which supplement on vitamine D do you use, i can tell you the one that is combinated with fat and vitamine K. Thorne Research Vitamin D / K2 Liquid. It works best for me and i made a blood test that showed pretty good results. Also if your energy level goes up when you on the beach then maybe you lack of iodine (if you dont understand the connection between beach and iodine = At the beach you got more iodine in the salty air and your skin resorbs it from the water and usually people eat more seefruits) , maybe you should give it a try. it works better than coffee for me.

InitialX

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Aug 25, 2016
United Kingdom
I haven't read the thread but do it! It will improve your quality of life like nothing else. I should be way more miserable and unproductive where I moved to but I'm not, and its the weather. It is impossible not to be happy, excited about life and productive when the sun is shining and its hot, clear blue sky, driving in your car with the aircon on, you cannot not be positive and happy doing that. You feel like anything is possible and you are going somewhere. You do need to get used to it tho. The first few weeks I was stuck to the couch with the fan blowing, and it slowly got better from there. I will never move back home purely because of the weather here.

pure GOLD

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
which supplement on vitamine D do you use, i can tell you the one that is combinated with fat and vitamine K. Thorne Research Vitamin D / K2 Liquid. It works best for me and i made a blood test that showed pretty good results. Also if your energy level goes up when you on the beach then maybe you lack of iodine (if you dont understand the connection between beach and iodine = At the beach you got more iodine in the salty air and your skin resorbs it from the water and usually people eat more seefruits) , maybe you should give it a try. it works better than coffee for me.

It's not about the beach, it's about the amount of sunshine.

The one I get doesn't come with dietary fat, but I always take it with a meal (that's usually also rich with vitamin K) so that's not an issue.

Shamrox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
Jan 16, 2017
United Kingdom
From someone in the North of the U.K. where the days are just starting to get longer again, I can confirm that there is a definite mood change during the week od sunshine we get each year. Everyone is happier and more upbeat. I feel like I'm full of life for that entire week like I could do anything. And just when you're getting used to it, it's gone. Just like that. I'd love to move to one of the aforementioned countries, even for 3 - 6 months during the autumn/winter. But I'd need o convince the missus! :D Plus, I'd need plenty of $$ Now where are all those people that need helping! ;)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I would respond in detail but I spent a lot of the weekend on a sandbar just off of the Gulf coast and time got away from us. What day is this?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed

Asia has some of the best weather I've experienced. I live in North India where it's super hot. Summers are 40c+/115F but the winters are cold (Dec/Jan). Not as cold as the UK but you need a jacket in the evenings. Days are usually sunny. Thailand and Malaysia has great weather all year round but they get a lot of rain during the monsoon. The same is true for Singapore.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I feel like i'm slowly dying in the UK.

The light nights are now starting to show and this winter hasn't even been that cold but it's really beginning to get me down.
I seen a weather bulletin the other day which said monsoon type weather to batter the UK in March. Fantastic.

Groundhog day.

My business is still too unsettled for us a family to rely on it for our total income which means my Wife who is leaving her job in May (handed in notice due to stress and long hours) is going to have to find another job. The stress of that job has been replaced with the stress of having no money or another job lined up. She has got a second interview on Friday but from reading between the lines it could be even longer hours than the previous one. We need the money though.

We can't move abroad. We also have too much personal debt which is getting paid off each month slowly but surely. I'm working all the hours i can on my business as the way i see it the only hope for us to break this cycle is for my business to sustain us. It's not location dependant. Until then we carry on.

It doesn't stop me from hating my day from the minute i wake up to the minute i go to bed constantly wishing i lived somewhere else though. I asked my kids would they rather live in UK or Spain this morning and they both said Spain in an instant ha. The oldest is 8 and i feel if it doesn't happen in the next couple of years it's going to disruptive to move him and his younger brother to a new country then.

Tomorrow i might feel better, today it's nearly dinner time so i'm going to eat some junk food to cheer myself up for an hour.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.