The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Handmade - handyman`s progress thread

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Maxkaz

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jul 19, 2023
Israel
Hello everyone!

I`s been a month since I consider myself to be a "true" entrepreneur. I literaly started 0n the 1st of January, not because of some fancy New Year Resolution, but because my friend immigrated to my country on 29th of December and we both found and bought an old 2002 Ford for $1500 on 31sh of December which allowed us to switch to b2b clients.

Since my FTE in summer 2023 I`ve been part-time entrepreneur - I worked full-time blue-collar job and in my spare time served my local community with my screwdriver, wrench and occasionally - with my 3d-printer. This business of mine was more of a necessity - my FTE put me in a position where I could not support myself with job alone and I had to create an alternative cash flow.

3 people during 2023 impacted my vision.

First was an elderly entrepreneur (possibly a scammer though) from Russia. He had a huge vertical farming equipment project on late development stage tailored for a specific niche - he wanted his buyers to use vacant office space which was generated by pandemic and everyone going online. He needed me as a speaker for the project (as I professionally speak on public). Eventually the start-up died but I learned a lot about international production as we were studying the opportunities to mass-produce our product.

Second was an entrepreneur from Ukraine who was stranded overseas when the war started. He had a farm back in Kharkiv region and was using it to develop automated farming equipment. He came to me to use my 3d-printer as he was living nearby and was working on a new incubator. I not only printed some details for him but was also able to develop some parts in Fusion 360, so I am grateful for an insight into an inventor`s mind and into the RnD process.

Third one was a local entrepreneur, who does house cleaning in the local area. He shared his business details and some customers with me as being a sole proprietor he suffers from lack of free time and wanted someone around who could help him with his work while he goes on vacation or smth like that. Although it is the lowest possible business in my area it is still a business and I am able to learn accounting and b2b processes while earning $30 per hour instead of $10 per hour I was earning at a factory. So while it is something without Scale or Time commandments in sight, it still grants me valuable skills and time to develop my next stage.

NOW FOR THE ACTUAL PROCESS

On the 1st of January I had a job which brought me something around $2500 per month and a side-hustle with around $500 monthly income. I also had a friend and a car to expand my Empire with. We had a working model for business and a mentor to guide us through. And we leaped head first. Not knowing how to do marketing, we designed a simple printed ad with some free internet clipart and put my personal telephone in there. As I worked night shifts and due to language (most calling was done in Hebrew and my friend does not know it) my friend woke me up each time I had an incoming call. And while I was not asleep, i made cold-calling.

It was hard, but it brought fruit - from our first week we had some clients coming and signing the deals with monthly payments. I am really surprised how fast it all started. This month I got $500 in payments from b2b clients, $500 from b2c side hustle and $2500 coming from work. But during all this time I was signing b2b contracts, starting immediately or from 1st of February, so by now I have signed papers for a total of $2000 per month. Lower than my salary, but it takes only a fraction of a time which my work took. So I considered my options and made another leap of faith - yesterday I quitted my job. With all that free time I can focus on marketing and add more clients to the fold. On Sunday I have a meeting with one old lady with a potential $500 monthly deal which would even me in terms of income with my not-so-good job I left.

WHAT IS NEXT FOR ME?

I really do not see myself moping floors for the rest of my life. It is an honest job and I do it willingly and professionally, but I see it as a temporal solution to pay the bills. So I came with an escape plan. I know where I eventually want to end up and there are several possible roads which will lead me there.

I will continue working on my cleaning business. I want to completely fill 2 days of the week - Monday and Friday, with stable customers. Knowing my speed and price, it is safe to say that one full day brings at maximum about $3000 per month. $6000 a month will cover all the taxes, living expenses and will give me enough money for risky experiments.

For the other 4 days of the week (due to extravagances of my country of residence it is not viable to plan any work for Saturdays), there are some projects I can work on here. Option #1 - I can do more cleaning job but I do not want as I want to keep those days free of stable commitments. Option #2 - I can expand my handyman side-hustle to a more profitable house repair and remodelling business. It is more profitable than cleaning and more risky as no monthly payments are involved. It is also harder in terms of Entry. Option #3 - I am thinking about establishing a production facility for some outside lighting and advertising structures. It is something I made back in Russia fro some time and I have knowledge, but do not know local market at all. The upside is that I will have instruments for big plastic-metal-electronics projects I dream of and those instruments will not just wait for my inventions but bring cash on the way.

And during this development of this sweat manufacture, I also plan to work on some physical tangible products. I am familiar with Fusion 360, Arduino and PCB design and there is a list of products I created during my studies based mainly of complaints like "Why no-one made THIS already?". I remotely know how to organize overseas production and plan to embark on a journey:

1. Take an idea
2. Make a working prototype
3. Try to sell prototypes in my local area
4. If (3 = true) {scale.up;}
5. ???
6. Wallmart sales exceeded $1bil, we need another forklift to the cash storage

I decided not to wait and already ordered from Aliexpress all the needed parts for my first prototype. During February mostt of them will arrive so I hope by my next progress post here there will be some photos I will be able to share.

Any feedback is welcome!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Maxkaz

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jul 19, 2023
Israel
While I keep successfully building my client base (approximately $3000 per month from 14 entities already signed since first signature on 01.01.24, that`s INSANE), I can finally use my free time I got after I dropped the work to start working on my INVENTION!

Parts from Aliexpress have arrived and today I`ve obtained my first test subject. Please meet Fernando, named after one of the hostages IDF has freed today in Gasa. First experiment is already running in his pot :)

IMG_0049.JPG

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Is your invention something to do with moisture content in houseplant soil?

Dan

Vntonio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Aug 18, 2023
Earth
Yeap. The first step is to try reliably keep soil moisture in the defined boundaries
It will sell like hotcakes to corporations. Why? They have the money, they have lots of plants in pots and they want to be deranged to water them only when is necessary.
For "civilians" it might sell if there is another device that waters the pot at the right moment. So lazy people/people who travel a lot and corporations would be my targets if I were you.

Funny story, I worked at a company, taking care of plants at the biggest corporations in my country and it was hell, having to check the soil (different plants have different water consumption and needs), and I destroyed one computer, spilled water on some clothes and other mistakes. (if this device shows when the soil is dry=less time spent watering the plants=rarer meeting to water them=less chances for an idiot to destroy/spill water on something expensive)

Maxkaz

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jul 19, 2023
Israel
It will sell like hotcakes to corporations. Why? They have the money, they have lots of plants in pots and they want to be deranged to water them only when is necessary.
For "civilians" it might sell if there is another device that waters the pot at the right moment. So lazy people/people who travel a lot and corporations would be my targets if I were you.

Funny story, I worked at a company, taking care of plants at the biggest corporations in my country and it was hell, having to check the soil (different plants have different water consumption and needs), and I destroyed one computer, spilled water on some clothes and other mistakes. (if this device shows when the soil is dry=less time spent watering the plants=rarer meeting to water them=less chances for an idiot to destroy/spill water on something expensive)
Thanks for the tip! We are looking on travelers/forgetful, but corps sound gooood :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Maxkaz

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jul 19, 2023
Israel
Okay, my second month as an entrepreneur and a first month after leaving 9/5 has gone. This month I earned a total of $5000 (my 9/5 was bringing around $2000-3000 depending on a month), half of which come from 14 different long-term clients which are stably paying every month and half came from various activities, including getting experience in the new field while getting payed in the same time. Today we signed 3 more clients for a total of $1000 added and we have Friday completely filled and no longer accept orders for this day. It really is insane that 1 day a week of dedicated work effort (I leave home at 6:00 and get back by 15:00) can bring you like $4000 a month when you are an entrepreneur. But this requires working harder, smarter and more efficient than anyone. I hope I can transfer this experience of in-person work into corp efficiency to some point when I will start hiring people (that is a plan for the quite near future).

I formed a partnership with my mentor and we started building a foundation for expanding our businesses. We are both in the field of commercial cleaning and now are expanding into the gardening which is HUGE here in Israel with lots of underperforming gardeners. My mentor has connections with lots of house-kkeping companies that are constantly suffering from unmawed lawns and overgrowth on the parking areas. I like this business more because it is harder to get into - the entry barrier is there while in the cleaning business there is none. Also you have a chance to talk to many-many rich villa-owners and get soaking wet with their mindsets and histories. My mentor invested $1000 into entry-level equipment (which already brought $200 in fulfilled orders in February) and I put $2000 into getting a specific course to get myself a license to what we are starting now. We already got ourselves 2 one-time orders and one long-term order with monthly pay so things are also moving fast here.

Also I keep working on my invention prototype. I am developing a self-watering data-driven plant pot for house plants. This month we got sensor samples from China and are now aquiring data which we need to finalize the design. My switch to gardening helps massively as I am involved in many plant-related activities including working on plant watering systems which in Israel are a must for any outside plant and there is a huge load of Israel-designed top-notch equipment and materials present.

Summarizing, there is a lot of grind and not a lot of sleep and social activity. My social circle basically dissipated but it is a good thing as I do not have to merge my schedules or plans with anyone. I am even thinking that my current state of social isolation might actually be a must for such a fast success I am experiencing. I squeeze every second from my day and only like now, on Sabbath (after all the paperwork I stacked on weekend of cause) I have time to reflect and write this post for example :). No friends or partners would have endured connecting with me with such a packed week as I have now.

I am really wondering now in what state would I meet 2025.

Maxkaz

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jul 19, 2023
Israel
Still a night and day until new month, but the week is so packed that I`d better write now, while there is some time to breathe)

So my third month in full-time business has passed. This month saw an expansion, We (it is "we" now, yay!) grew to 3 people. We expanded our areas of activity from cleaning and small repairs to full-blown home repairs and gardening. A signature event - today we had to unpack the car and make a warehouse in my apartment as all the equipment does not fit in the car anymore. Whole Sabbath of cleaning and rearranging stuff.

Another expansion area - more organizational stuff. Had to make an online calendar to track all the orders. My partner is now building a Telegram bot to keep track of our incomes as these are plenty and we have to divide them for three people now.

Our profits rose significantly. I still have to do the math, but seems we are at least doubled in March. Many new equipment bought. Also I expanded my advertising into neighboring area (specifically - to the whole of Izreel valley) and finally - from only-Russian to Russian-Hebrew. We already get Hebrew-speaking clients and those have way more cash to spend. Getting used to elite villas, choosing a style for mine future one :cool:

Of notice: Fiverr-style ads really hit the spot when advertising for local area. MAny contractors are triing to make professional-looking Facebook ads, but two factors seem to undermine their efforts: people online develop an anti-ad immunity and overlook those; if you are a small business owner, you do not have proficiency and budget to make those ads really professional and half-baked ones look distant and uncool. More personal ones with your photo and freestyle explanation work EXCELLENT - people repost you, like and, most importantly, they ORDER!

Plans for the future: expand into height work. And probably start hiring people in 1-2 months.

AutoMan

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 27, 2024
Yeap. The first step is to try reliably keep soil moisture in the defined boundaries
Man I love a good house plant business idea.

The pain point is strong..why do they always die on me!!

Goodluck

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.