The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a handyman business. My journey.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

anthonyseoul

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 16, 2017
London
I started working with my father in construction, then trained as an electrician when I left school so I have a lot of experience in trades. I also like fixing things around the house so am pretty confident at giving most things a go at fixing or maintaining around the home.

Since working in the trades, I have sold hundreds of thousands of online courses. I've made some money and still make some, but I am really tired of just sitting in front of a screen all day creating courses, answering questions. I don't feel any drive or motivation to keep working online (for now).

Hence why I have decided to get out of my chair and move my body more. Becoming a handyman seemed like a perfect fit for me and I feel a sense of passion and excitement again knowing that I am creating a new business.

I am not focussing on one specific area. I will cover areas I am confident that I can help with: electrical work (adding new sockets, adding new lights, changing light fittings etc.), painting, simple plumbing work, and other odd jobs around the home (hanging pictures, assembling furniture, fixing doors etc.) I may also add power washing, gutter cleaning, and mowing and hedge trimming if I feel there is demand.

I am based in England, UK.

How I plan to stand out:
I will create a top-notch website showing my face and my work.
I will wear a professional uniform with my company logo on.
I will focus on my online presence by soliciting Google reviews, Facebook reviews, and reviews on other relevant sites.
I will answer or return every call/message.
I will make sure the client's home is spotless once work is complete.
I will suggest completing another job at the same visit if I spot something that needs repairing.

Things I have done so far:
I have come up with a company name.
I have purchased my domain name and email.
I have hired someone to create a modern, fun logo for me.

Things I plan to do over the next week:
List my company on the major trade websites.
Add a Google business page.
Add a Facebook page.
Research vans. (For now I will use my small family car).
Purchase more tools. (I have the basics for general jobs but need to purchase other tools).

I'd love to get feedback and advice from you all. Any ways I can stand out more, beat the competition, give the best customer experience, and market my company.

In return, I hope these posts provide some value to others.

Enjoy the journey :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Why low-ish value handyman work, and not exclusively high-value electrician work?

anthonyseoul

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 16, 2017
London
If you are an actual licensed electrician and want to do handyman work that is crazy combo - I would think you will have a list of customers never ending haha.

Excited to follow this one along.
Thanks. I used to be fully licensed and now need a few more certificates to get up to date. While I am studying I will work on this business.

anthonyseoul

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 16, 2017
London
Why low-ish value handyman work, and not exclusively high-value electrician work?

My electrical installation certificates are out of date (haven't practised as an electrician for around 10 years) so I will have to take a few courses to get up to scratch again.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.