The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gym is counter-productive to work. Or is it?

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I've been consistently going for ~6 years now and honestly still love doing so. For me personally sports, working out, training etc. has been game changing in terms of how i live my life. So many good lessons can be learned in the gym, if you take it seriously.

For example, the process principle: For the past couple years, after an ACL tear I started doing body-weight and moved into calisthenics (gymnastics+strength stuff). I went and taught myself to do a handstand push-up, man I failed ALOT, I had to readjust ALOT and practice ALOT. But even the smallest successes became so satisfying. And oh man, the feeling when the same people who used to look at you funny when you fell on your face start to watch with awe as you look and smile at them while standing on your hands.

There are so many ways in which you can learn from things in the gym and training that can be applied elsewhere. Also, willing to put in the work speaks tons about your character. If you give up on your goals in the gym, chances are you're the sorta person who may also give up on his business goals. At least in my eyes...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I think it comes down to what your priorities are

I'm a gym fanatic myself, but business always comes first. After a long hard day I love to take my time to smash it out at the gym - not to mention it helps that I'd like to get into the fitness industry one day.

If you've read Miracle Morning (great book) it shows how a morning routine will tremendously boost your productivity throughout the day - and one habit to do is go gym early in the morning. Not just for the gains but for feeling good overall.

This is what I was going to say. There is no such thing as "balance." There are only priorities. Everything else is not important.

I've done the Miracle Morning and it should be required reading on this forum. The author, Hal Elrod, was actually how I found out about MJ DeMarco and The Millionaire Fastlane after he mentioned that he was really into TMF on a podcast.

Get up early and do at least a little bit of exercise to get your blood pumping. Then, do whatever is most important first in the day before all the distractions and bullshit get to you. So, if business is priority #1 then work on that and go to gym later. If fitness is priority #1 then do that first thing in the day before you do anything else. I follow Cory Gregory who is a fitness cover model, competitive bodybuilder, and competitive powerlifter. He gets to the gym at like 4:30 am or something to do his workout and then cardio. The rest of the day he works on his business. So, the fitness is priority #1 for him. Figure out which is more important at the moment and do that.

...all this talk has inspired me to do another Miracle Morning 30 day challenge ...I'm going to bed. Got to get up early and get in better shape.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
health is 1 part of the fastlane trinity.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
I flat out can't focus on two goals at the same time. Whenever I start going to the gym, all that happens is like you said- I get distracted aiming for my fitness targets and can't focus on my financial goals.

I think the book "The One Thing - Gary Keller" talks alot about this. It's VERY difficult to have two overall missions. Eventually you'll slack on atleast one of them and probably fail at both when trying to achieve something difficult to do- Like getting into the 1%.

You can't do everything. Even the likes of Schwarzenegger let himself go when he was a politician (although he was old by then).

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I flat out can't focus on two goals at the same time. Whenever I start going to the gym, all that happens is like you said- I get distracted aiming for my fitness targets and can't focus on my financial goals.

I think the book "The One Thing - Gary Keller" talks alot about this. It's VERY difficult to have two overall missions. Eventually you'll slack on atleast one of them and probably fail at both when trying to achieve something difficult to do- Like getting into the 1%.

You can't do everything. Even the likes of Schwarzenegger let himself go when he was a politician (although he was old by then).

yo I spent months tryna do both fitness and business and it really is F*ckin hard. but ffs I'm gonna F*ckin make it work somehow damn it.
health is fastlane too.

the best results I've gotten so far is to knock all exercise stuff out in the morning asap. end with cold shower and feel pumped, then jump right into business. But goddamn it makes it hard to get up sometimes cause u know the next few hours of the day are reserved... I'm experimenting with an entertainment break between the end of exercise and start of business, but sometimes I wish I could just focus super hard for the first 6-8 hours of the day and then just take it easy the rest of the day.
I believe the simple solution is the best one.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
yo I spent months tryna do both fitness and business and it really is F*ckin hard. but ffs I'm gonna F*ckin make it work somehow damn it.
health is fastlane too.

the best results I've gotten so far is to knock all exercise stuff out in the morning asap. end with cold shower and feel pumped, then jump right into business. But goddamn it makes it hard to get up sometimes cause u know the next few hours of the day are reserved... I'm experimenting with an entertainment break between the end of exercise and start of business, but sometimes I wish I could just focus super hard for the first 6-8 hours of the day and then just take it easy the rest of the day.
I believe the simple solution is the best one.

Yeah, I'm in the camp of thinking people have a limited amount of willpower and focus, so you're best off channeling it all into one mission- That is unless you enjoy the gym, so it doesn't take up any willpower or motivation to get it done.

I just think working 12 hours a day and trying to get muscles/ripped takes up too much discipline for 99.9% of people. I mean fitness is a lifestyle- Not a hobby. Literally, you've got to be thinking about it at all times to achieve good results. You have to eat the right stuff at the right time and make sure you're in the gym everyday, which is difficult to do if you don't like it when working a 9-5, let alone when trying to build a multimillion dollar company.

There are pretty much no examples of famous people who were working on two goals at the same time. Bill Gates wasn't trying to become the wealthiest man in the world AND become the best violinist in the world. There are people that worked on one thing, achieved it, then moved onto the next and did well in that too, but not at the same time.

I wish it was easier to do everything because I want to do both, but I don't think it's feasible long term.

Here's a video sort of explaining what I'm talking about. I'm not saying I'm right or anything, it's just an opinion:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnFd34zXbY8

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Yeah, I'm in the camp of thinking people have a limited amount of willpower and focus, so you're best off channeling it all into one mission- That is unless you enjoy the gym, so it doesn't take up any willpower or motivation to get it done.

I just think working 12 hours a day and trying to get muscles/ripped takes up too much discipline for 99.9% of people. I mean fitness is a lifestyle- Not a hobby. Literally, you've got to be thinking about it at all times to achieve good results. You have to eat the right stuff at the right time and make sure you're in the gym everyday, which is difficult to do if you don't like it when working a 9-5, let alone when trying to build a multimillion dollar company.

There are pretty much no examples of famous people who were working on two goals at the same time. Bill Gates wasn't trying to become the wealthiest man in the world AND become the best violinist in the world. There are people that worked on one thing, achieved it, then moved onto the next and did well in that too, but not at the same time.

I wish it was easier to do everything because I want to do both, but I don't think it's feasible long term.

Here's a video sort of explaining what I'm talking about. I'm not saying I'm right or anything, it's just an opinion:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnFd34zXbY8

yea that whole "willpower" shit pisses me off. That's why i try ot make it as easy as possible for me. I don't go to gym, i work out 100% at home. I eat right but only once a day for simplicity. I set a specific number of hours to work on "main" business project, and then few more hours on side projects. after that i can chillout remaining day.

The hardest part for me is to just get da fuk out of bed once i have this whole laid out plan, my brain just frickin rebels against this discipline. But i'm gonna do it or die trying damn it.

A lot of successful people can't do this daily balanced routine, they just put in a huge chunk of hours into a project over a week or so and then "vacation" recharge, but if one has the DISCIPLINE i believe it's possible to create a 24 hour work/chill balance indefinitely.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
yea that whole "willpower" shit pisses me off. That's why i try ot make it as easy as possible for me. I don't go to gym, i work out 100% at home. I eat right but only once a day for simplicity. I set a specific number of hours to work on "main" business project, and then few more hours on side projects. after that i can chillout remaining day.

The hardest part for me is to just get da fuk out of bed once i have this whole laid out plan, my brain just frickin rebels against this discipline. But i'm gonna do it or die trying damn it.

A lot of successful people can't do this daily balanced routine, they just put in a huge chunk of hours into a project over a week or so and then "vacation" recharge, but if one has the DISCIPLINE i believe it's possible to create a 24 hour work/chill balance indefinitely.

Ah right, that sounds like it could be okay then if you're only doing the fitness as more of a side thing and not going all in on it. It's just if it starts to take up more than 30% of your energy that I think it becomes abit more of a problem. I've been there man haha. I'm either trying to become the next Ronnie Coleman or I'm not bothered haha.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
There comes a point at the gym when it stops becoming about being healthy and fit and starts becoming about hard number goals. 200 lbs shredded, or a 405 bench, or 19" arms, or 1st place in my local bodybuilding show, or 1st place in my powerlifting or crossfit competition... this kind of thing.

When you hit that point, you're going to find that you'll have to push your body further and further to the point where your training is a focal point of your life, rather than something you do to unwind and stay in shape.

@snowbank wrote an article in which he talked about his quest to get shredded like a physique competitor. He succeeded, but he found that he needed to live an entirely unbalanced life: only focused on his training, his diet, and his recovery. This was also true during the times when he was most successful in business and poker.

If the gym is counter productive to work, it's because the goals conflict.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Ah right, that sounds like it could be okay then if you're only doing the fitness as more of a side thing and not going all in on it. It's just if it starts to take up more than 30% of your energy that I think it becomes abit more of a problem. I've been there man haha. I'm either trying to become the next Ronnie Coleman or I'm not bothered haha.

Well it still takes me about 3 hours to get all my "health" stuff done in the morning. I do a whole bunch of shit. and i do keep a workout log with my rep numbers. I believe in progressing.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
@luniac @PetePreneur

Valid points, staying fit is basically another job. Some suggestions I got to make it less time consuming and mentally draining:

1. Eating:
Usually the biggest challenge for people. Just eat better in increments. Go from 5 Kit Kats a day to 2 Kit Kats and an Apple. That Yoohoo Choloclate milk pint? F*ck it. Instead make a shake with choco. whey protein powder, milk and ice. No need to track macros until your committed to your whole routine already, just make sure you eat generally healthy and get plenty of protein. Carbs and fats, more than likely your already okay.

Also MEAL PREP. Sit down for 2 hours on a Sunday and make a ton of food for the week. Saves time and makes it a lot easier to be disciplined with your health.

2. Shorter, more intense workouts:
Hell, do these at home if you want. A billion of options here. My go to: 5 rounds, as many pushups as possible; as many pullups as possible; 2 minute jump rope, keep it moving quick. Do this or something similar 3-4 times a week. Also TRACK YOUR PROGRESS, sets, reps and rest times. You wouldn't forget to pay attention to your business' profits, same applies here. Consistent Progress = Results. Results = Conviction (positive feedback loop).

3. Recovery:
Sleep, I'd say 6-8 hours is perfect.
Take 10-20 minutes to stretch and foam roll, yoga or whatever. Doing this is a huge quality of life improvement, helps you to have good posture, be mobile and extend the general useful life of your body. That wheelchair may be delayed for a decade or never be needed.

Well it still takes me about 3 hours to get all my "health" stuff done in the morning. I do a whole bunch of shit. and i do keep a workout log with my rep numbers. I believe in progressing.

There is no reason that fitness should take you "3 hours". If you are fine with this than no problem, if it is too much than it may be time to change your approach.

Exactly. Getting fit should not conflict. Becoming the next James Harrison, yea, that'll conflict.
View: https://youtu.be/Yjbr2QHQeF0?t=7s

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
@luniac @PetePreneur

Valid points, staying fit is basically another job. Some suggestions I got to make it less time consuming and mentally draining:

1. Eating:
Usually the biggest challenge for people. Just eat better in increments. Go from 5 Kit Kats a day to 2 Kit Kats and an Apple. That Yoohoo Choloclate milk pint? F*ck it. Instead make a shake with choco. whey protein powder, milk and ice. No need to track macros until your committed to your whole routine already, just make sure you eat generally healthy and get plenty of protein. Carbs and fats, more than likely your already okay.

Also MEAL PREP. Sit down for 2 hours on a Sunday and make a ton of food for the week. Saves time and makes it a lot easier to be disciplined with your health.

2. Shorter, more intense workouts:
Hell, do these at home if you want. A billion of options here. My go to: 5 rounds, as many pushups as possible; as many pullups as possible; 2 minute jump rope, keep it moving quick. Do this or something similar 3-4 times a week. Also TRACK YOUR PROGRESS, sets, reps and rest times. You wouldn't forget to pay attention to your business' profits, same applies here. Consistent Progress = Results. Results = Conviction (positive feedback loop).

3. Recovery:
Sleep, I'd say 6-8 hours is perfect.
Take 10-20 minutes to stretch and foam roll, yoga or whatever. Doing this is a huge quality of life improvement, helps you to have good posture, be mobile and extend the general useful life of your body. That wheelchair may be delayed for a decade or never be needed.

There is no reason that fitness should take you "3 hours". If you are fine with this than no problem, if it is too much than it may be time to change your approach.

Exactly. Getting fit should not conflict. Becoming the next James Harrison, yea, that'll conflict.
View: https://youtu.be/Yjbr2QHQeF0?t=7s

counterpoint:
yogi masterz be sleepin 3-4 hours a night just fine.

Interesting Life

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 2, 2016
New York
I consider fitness to be essential for any endeavor in life. Bobby Fischer the Chess legend used to even swim underwater to help his chess game.

Whenever you wish to perform at an elite level at anything it requires a massive amount of time and effort. This can get in the way of business success.

The question isn't whether fitness goes along with business. The question is whether specific high level fitness results go along with your own business goals.

Cheers

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
There comes a point at the gym when it stops becoming about being healthy and fit and starts becoming about hard number goals. 200 lbs shredded, or a 405 bench, or 19" arms, or 1st place in my local bodybuilding show, or 1st place in my powerlifting or crossfit competition... this kind of thing.

When you hit that point, you're going to find that you'll have to push your body further and further to the point where your training is a focal point of your life, rather than something you do to unwind and stay in shape.

Yeah, it all depends on how seriously you're doing it and if you enjoy it. If you've got an obsessive personality, where you end up tracking your calories/protein to the nearest gram and start working out each and every different muscle to failure, then it will end up taking too much focus/discipline and the business will fail or not grow. It's definitely possible to get in pretty good shape and still succeed in business, but you've got to see the working out as more of a side thing, so it doesn't take away your focus IMO. It is pretty difficult to become part of the 1%- Only 1% of people manage to do it obviously haha.

It takes you 3 hours? What do you do? You should be able to get a body part done every 30 mins or so if you do 2 exercises per body part, so the whole thing should take like an hour?- Otherwise, I think it will distract you. If you enjoy it, then fair enough, but if that's 3 hours worth of sheer grinding, then you'll end up burning out by like 5pm.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
It takes you 3 hours? What do you do? You should be able to get a body part done every 30 mins or so if you do 2 exercises per body part, so the whole thing should take like an hour?- Otherwise, I think it will distract you. If you enjoy it, then fair enough, but if that's 3 hours worth of sheer grinding, then you'll end up burning out by like 5pm.

Heavy, compound movements. Short rest time. Super-set anatognistic movements(opposites like push/pull). Smoke your entire body in 15 mins. :)

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Ignore, duplicate post

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
Heavy, compound movements. Short rest time. Super-set anatognistic movements(opposites like push/pull). Smoke your entire body in 15 mins. :)

Haha! Or that I guess!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Yeah, it all depends on how seriously you're doing it and if you enjoy it. If you've got an obsessive personality, where you end up tracking your calories/protein to the nearest gram and start working out each and every different muscle to failure, then it will end up taking too much focus/discipline and the business will fail or not grow. It's definitely possible to get in pretty good shape and still succeed in business, but you've got to see the working out as more of a side thing, so it doesn't take away your focus IMO. It is pretty difficult to become part of the 1%- Only 1% of people manage to do it obviously haha.

I'm like F*ckin Patrick Bateman from psycho.
First i do Wim Hof Breathing method,
Second, eye yoga movements(tryin to cure my myopia haha...),
Third, YiChuan Standing Practice,
Fourth, Several Static Holds,
Fifth, Several Yoga Movements,
Sixth, Calisthenic Strength Training Workout
Seven, Jump Rope
Eight, Cold Shower

That's my "health" routine.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
I'm like F*ckin Patrick Bateman from psycho.
First i do Wim Hof Breathing method,
Second, eye yoga movements(tryin to cure my myopia haha...),
Third, YiChuan Standing Practice,
Fourth, Several Static Holds,
Fifth, Several Yoga Movements,
Sixth, Calisthenic Strength Training Workout
Seven, Jump Rope
Eight, Cold Shower

That's my "health" routine.

Obviously it's completely up to you, but it sounds like you're doing too much IMO. Does your business involve fitness? Like do you own a gym or anything?

Whats your goal? Muscle size? Strength? Weight loss? General cardio? I'd pick something and tailor a routine to get that, but again- It's completely up to you obviously.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Obviously it's completely up to you, but it sounds like you're doing too much IMO. Does your business involve fitness? Like do you own a gym or anything?

Whats your goal? Muscle size? Strength? Weight loss? General cardio? I'd pick something and tailor a routine to get that, but again- It's completely up to you obviously.

I feel every single step in my routine targets different health characteristics with some overlap of course. i target muscles, tendons, joints, circulatory system, mental health, skin, agility, etc everything
I just want to be as healthy as possible until my last breath.
I'm not in any fitness business, i make apps and sit at a computer all day haha(which plays a part in why i do so much health stuff)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Here's an argument for ya:
Great health = less hours of sleep.
The average chap needs that 8 hours to be truly "rested".
Let's say the super healthy dude needs only 4 hours for equivalent rest.

that leaves 4 extra hours, 3 of which are used for "health" routine.
So in the end not only do you still get 1 extra hour for whatever, and your overall "quality of life" is greatly improved compared to the average dude.

also if i had a sauna at home i could probably cut down my routine by 30 minutes already.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I did some research into this before, and the conclusion I came to was that working out too much negatively impacts your ability to make money. It's not what most people want to say is true, but I've yet to find data that says otherwise.

Here's one chart that captures this perfectly:

whitefemalemale.gif

A BMI of 25 is where a man goes from being "Average" to "Obese".

It's at a BMI of 24 that men are wealthiest. A BMI lower than that, and the poorer they are. A BMI higher than that, and the poorer they are.

Below is my theory for why that is.

Creating wealth is primarily a product of three things:
  • Ability
  • Mindset
  • Effort (time)
When it comes to working out vs creating wealth, two factors are affected:
Let's start with explaining time:

Individuals that are too much in shape spend too much time, effort, and energy in the gym and recovering. That comes at the opportunity cost of concentrating on other things like acquiring money.

And yeah, there's the theory that if you're in better shape you have more energy, but from my experience if you get a good workout in, then you're too fatigued to operate at 100% the rest of the day. That's why athletes like Lebron James and Roger Federer sleep 12 hours a day - because to perform at that level, your body needs an incredible amount of rest. If you're working out intensely in the morning, then you're likely investing at least a couple hours post workout on recovery. You're also spending more time on cooking, planning, etc. That time/effort might be better invested into making money.

So, going back to Mindset and the chart...

If you look at the chart, wealthy people are right at the cusp of Average and Obese. If they had a few BMI more, they'd be obese. It is my theory that wealthy people inadvertently optimize their physical habits to maximize time that can be spent in their business. They care about their physique, after all they don't want to be perceived as fat immobile lards, but they only care to a point.

Their business comes first, and in turn they workout just enough to be "in shape", and then devote more of the remaining time to making money than most people do.

So to summarize:

If your #1 priority is the acquirement of wealth, then your goal is to maximize the amount of time for your business while staying in shape. You want to be average. You don't want to be too much in shape (not enough time/energy for business), but you also don't want to be too obese (poor mindset and inability to function).

And I know this sounds like a crazy theory, and everyone in this thread is going to disagree with me - they're going to say that ideally you're in shape and make money (no shit that's ideal), but the practicality is completely different.

Think of the muscle heads at the gym. How many of those individuals are rich? Probably not many.
Now think of the incredibly fat people you know. How many are rich? Maybe a little bit more.
Now think of the average physique people you know. How many are rich?

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but based on my research it's the correct answer. And if someone could change my opinion, then that'd be tremendously appreciated.

I know you already said later on that BMI is a horrible metric, but it really is.

I just looked my BMI up, it's 27.6. I competed the past 3 weeks in the Wodapalooza, an online crossfit competition where I did things from muscle-ups, handstand pushups, clean and jerks, rowing and everything in between during timed workouts. Definitely not for the faint of heart. I recently squatted 515lbs and I can see my abs.

According to this BMI metric, I am overweight, but I would make the bold claim and back it that I am more fit than 99% of the general pop. I've also beat the stats on that chart, although currently transitioning into new work and taking some time off :)

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
@AustinS28

Yea BMI is super misleading. Muscle weights more than fat. Someone with 99% muscle will weigh much more than someone with 99% fat. So trying to base your health off of your weight is like shooting yourself in the foot before the race even starts.

Want to see how fit you are? BF% is a better indicator. Can also use tools like this one: https://symmetricstrength.com/

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My trainer didn’t qualify for a certain health Insurance plan because her BMI was too high. She looks like one of those CrossFit women so she’s pretty heavy for her height but ripped.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I found that you have to give priority to one or the other.

For example, right now my priority is fitness for the next two months, so even if I am working on something that has to get out today when my workout time comes I will stop doing the work and go to gym. This is because I have a clear definition of what is a priority at this point in my life. I’ll come back and finish my work afterwards.

Now if I were in business growing mode, I would skip the gym and get done whatever I needed to get done.

So my point is you have to decide for yourself what is a priority, so you can make clear decisions. If you don’t know which one takes the higher priority you will pick and choose depending on how you feel each day and end up being average at both.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY

Stop with the shitty broscience. The vast majority of humans, as in 99% of us, need at least 7 hours of sleep to feel rested and to be productive. To think otherwise is to delude yourself. Proper sleep is perhaps one of the most precious gifts we can give ourselves, regardless of where we are.

To respond to the post, the incubator Y Combinator requires people going through their program to continue regular workouts. Like sleep, proper exercise and nutrition are crucial to being fully productive and engaged. Plus, going to the gym to workout gives you a chance to focus on something other than your work and lets you subconsciously work on problems, issues, and ideas. However, spending 2 to 3 hours at the gym can definitely be counterproductive. Think about what you can do in 45 to 60 minutes and go for that. If you have to sacrifice your gains, so be it, but do not get out of shape.

Shepherd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 10, 2017
It might sound a bit lame, but since this time of year is always busy for me personally and professionally, I just get up early and do the Beachbody P90x3 workout on a daily basis. 30 minutes, no thinking, no real planning. On the weekend I might add a kettlebell workout or a short run, but that depends on my schedule. Mentally, I find that eliminating the planning aspect reduces the amount of stress in my day. In the future I have some more detailed fitness goals I want to pursue, but in the meantime I don't want to let my health lapse.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
It's very simple. Gym is counter-productive to work when you're allocating time to gym instead of work. There's no evidence that going to the gym benefits work.

Wow how genius. Why stop at four hours of sleep? Why not one hour or sleep or better yet no sleep at all? It's been scientifically demonstrated that a lack of sleep impairs memory. At four hours you're sure to get sleep deprivation.

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Stop with the shitty broscience. The vast majority of humans, as in 99% of us, need at least 7 hours of sleep to feel rested and to be productive. To think otherwise is to delude yourself. Proper sleep is perhaps one of the most precious gifts we can give ourselves, regardless of where we are.

To respond to the post, the incubator Y Combinator requires people going through their program to continue regular workouts. Like sleep, proper exercise and nutrition are crucial to being fully productive and engaged. Plus, going to the gym to workout gives you a chance to focus on something other than your work and lets you subconsciously work on problems, issues, and ideas. However, spending 2 to 3 hours at the gym can definitely be counterproductive. Think about what you can do in 45 to 60 minutes and go for that. If you have to sacrifice your gains, so be it, but do not get out of shape.

ur peddling mainstream dogma "99% of us need at least 7 hours of sleep..."
Y9ahiH5wfV7E7t686WFH7lCKs18L_hMVTCqwAP2datDLbnITsBuJ1nJrlM_HXJLH8kkX9Uj9-83ma1lAP0vxWijcFQ=s0-e7

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.