The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gym is counter-productive to work. Or is it?

DavidTT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Aug 3, 2016
So I've been reading Unscripted (already read TMFL) and obviously we can' help but notice MJ bringing up fitness all the time which is cool. Now here's my concern;

I've been constantly working on my online business for a few months now developing products etc etc. However, I've been really killing it at the gym too (currently ~190lbs@10-12%bf) and the gains are coming in fast. Everything is on point, workouts, no injuries, diet is amazing etc. My goal is to hit somewhere around 205lbs soon.

The problem is, I feel like I'm putting too much time and effort at the gym and it's kind distracting me from my business. It's as if I concentrate more on my gains and becoming stronger rather than the business. Anyone in a similar situation? Should I stop going to the gym?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I'm currently going to focus on HIIT (via INSANITY MAX 30) and boxing. Lifting weights at the gym has become too boring for me, and I'm more into functional strength now. I'm sure I'll lift weights at the gym again, but for now, the previously mentioned exercises will be my focus.

If you just want to get a great workout in and save time follow INSANITY MAX 30 (same company that created P90X). It's a 30-minute long workout for each session. Perfect.

Garbera

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
Jan 31, 2017
UK
It doesnt have to be all or nothing situation , just try to hit the sweet spot on diminishing returns curve

Could you switch your gym to a one that is closer to you?

Maybe you could start working out at your garage and make a home gym there ?

Or you may just reduce training frequency (3 times per week instead of 5-6) and volume (main compound lifts instead of high volume pump work with 30 sets lol)

You can also motivate yourself by comparsion to more successfull people that still find time to work out (MJ/Arnold/Putin/....)

Hope that helped , greetings.

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
I changed my routine recently and I train 4 days a week instead of 6. But I had to increase the intensity of my workouts so I take shorter breaks between sets and I use techniques like supersets or dropsets.

What type of routine are you using now ?

ReubenA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 3, 2016
You’re either spending way too much time at the gym, or way too much time working. Figure out which it is and change it.

Fitness should be a net positive for your productivity, anyway. The fitter you are, the more focus and energy you'll have. Don't quit, just learn to balance them.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
If you want to have a killer workout in a small amount of time, I would highly recommend ''Doggcrapp'' workout.

Say you're getting ready to do barbell military presses. After a few warm-up sets (there's no specific guideline for this, according to SM; just do what you need to do to get your joints and muscles ready to work), you load the bar with a weight you think you can lift 10 times. Do as many reps as you can with perfect form until technical failure, the point at which you can't do another perfect rep.

Put the weight down and take 10 to 15 deep belly breaths. "The deep breaths help supply the body with oxygen and let you partially recover," SM said.

Pick up the weight and do another set of perfect reps until you once again reach technical failure.

Set it down, take 10 to 15 more breaths, and then bang out a few more perfect reps.

How to Build 50 Pounds of Muscle in 12 Months | T Nation

I've been training like this with awesome gains!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I did some research into this before, and the conclusion I came to was that working out too much negatively impacts your ability to make money. It's not what most people want to say is true, but I've yet to find data that says otherwise.

Here's one chart that captures this perfectly:

whitefemalemale.gif

A BMI of 25 is where a man goes from being "Average" to "Obese".

It's at a BMI of 24 that men are wealthiest. A BMI lower than that, and the poorer they are. A BMI higher than that, and the poorer they are.

Below is my theory for why that is.

Creating wealth is primarily a product of three things:
  • Ability
  • Mindset
  • Effort (time)
When it comes to working out vs creating wealth, two factors are affected:
Let's start with explaining time:

Individuals that are too much in shape spend too much time, effort, and energy in the gym and recovering. That comes at the opportunity cost of concentrating on other things like acquiring money.

And yeah, there's the theory that if you're in better shape you have more energy, but from my experience if you get a good workout in, then you're too fatigued to operate at 100% the rest of the day. That's why athletes like Lebron James and Roger Federer sleep 12 hours a day - because to perform at that level, your body needs an incredible amount of rest. If you're working out intensely in the morning, then you're likely investing at least a couple hours post workout on recovery. You're also spending more time on cooking, planning, etc. That time/effort might be better invested into making money.

So, going back to Mindset and the chart...

If you look at the chart, wealthy people are right at the cusp of Average and Obese. If they had a few BMI more, they'd be obese. It is my theory that wealthy people inadvertently optimize their physical habits to maximize time that can be spent in their business. They care about their physique, after all they don't want to be perceived as fat immobile lards, but they only care to a point.

Their business comes first, and in turn they workout just enough to be "in shape", and then devote more of the remaining time to making money than most people do.

So to summarize:

If your #1 priority is the acquirement of wealth, then your goal is to maximize the amount of time for your business while staying in shape. You want to be average. You don't want to be too much in shape (not enough time/energy for business), but you also don't want to be too obese (poor mindset and inability to function).

And I know this sounds like a crazy theory, and everyone in this thread is going to disagree with me - they're going to say that ideally you're in shape and make money (no shit that's ideal), but the practicality is completely different.

Think of the muscle heads at the gym. How many of those individuals are rich? Probably not many.
Now think of the incredibly fat people you know. How many are rich? Maybe a little bit more.
Now think of the average physique people you know. How many are rich?

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but based on my research it's the correct answer. And if someone could change my opinion, then that'd be tremendously appreciated.

Wazzagilliams

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 11, 2017
Herefordshire
So I've been reading Unscripted (already read TMFL) and obviously we can' help but notice MJ bringing up fitness all the time which is cool. Now here's my concern;

I've been constantly working on my online business for a few months now developing products etc etc. However, I've been really killing it at the gym too (currently ~190lbs@10-12%bf) and the gains are coming in fast. Everything is on point, workouts, no injuries, diet is amazing etc. My goal is to hit somewhere around 205lbs soon.

The problem is, I feel like I'm putting too much time and effort at the gym and it's kind distracting me from my business. It's as if I concentrate more on my gains and becoming stronger rather than the business. Anyone in a similar situation? Should I stop going to the gym?

I had a similar dilemma a few years back. I have an online business and work from home and would train at my local gym for about an hour from 4pm - 5pm, I trained 5 ish times per week. After doing this routine for many months I was always knackered and my work output was suffering. I have recently changed my weight training routine to 3 days per week. Surprisingly I have maintained my strength and body weight , got more time for my business plus have more energy.

I train with a mate and he still trains 5 days per week , on the days I train with him we are still about the same strength so it makes me think 5 days a week maybe over-training unless you are a pro athlete.

You seem to be very dedicated so would 3 days per week suffice for your body goals?..

I used to be obsessed with my body image years ago but as I am getting older I realise I need to be more balanced in what I do , even if I had a dream body maintaining it would be too stressful lol. Hope you can achieve your body goals without jeopardizing your business.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
I did some research into this before, and the conclusion I came to was that working out too much negatively impacts your ability to make money. It's not what most people want to say is true, but I've yet to find data that says otherwise.

whitefemalemale.gif

It's at a BMI of 24 that men are wealthiest. A BMI lower than that, and the poorer they are. A BMI higher than that, and the poorer they are.

• Ability
  • Mindset
  • Effort (time)

Individuals that are too much in shape spend too much time, effort, and energy in the gym and recovering. That comes at the opportunity cost of concentrating on other things like acquiring money.

And yeah, there's the theory that if you're in better shape you have more energy, but from my experience if you get a good workout in, then you're too fatigued to operate at 100% the rest of the day. That's why athletes like Lebron James and Roger Federer sleep 12 hours a day - because to perform at that level, your body needs an incredible amount of rest. If you're working out intensely in the morning, then you're likely investing at least a couple hours post workout on recovery. You're also spending more time on cooking, planning, etc. That time/effort might be better invested into making money.

If you look at the chart, wealthy people are right at the cusp of Average and Obese. If they had a few BMI more, they'd be obese. It is my theory that wealthy people inadvertently optimize their physical habits to maximize time that can be spent in their business. They care about their physique, after all they don't want to be perceived as fat immobile lards, but they only care to a point.

Their business comes first, and in turn they workout just enough to be "in shape", and then devote more of the remaining time to making money than most people do.

So to summarize:

If your #1 priority is the acquirement of wealth, then your goal is to maximize the amount of time for your business while staying in shape. You want to be average. You don't want to be too much in shape (not enough time/energy for business), but you also don't want to be too obese (poor mindset and inability to function).

And I know this sounds like a crazy theory, and everyone in this thread is going to disagree with me - they're going to say that ideally you're in shape and make money (no shit that's ideal), but the practicality is completely different.

Think of the muscle heads at the gym. How many of those individuals are rich? Probably not many.
Now think of the incredibly fat people you know. How many are rich? Maybe a little bit more.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but based on my research it's the correct answer. And if someone could change my opinion, then that'd be tremendously appreciated.

for my expierience this is absolutly true.

why not starting working out at home no time wasting commuting etc? Iam wondering and someone said it too i think it was biophase how people execute on fitness and diet etc but not on business side. Now the question is do you killing it in your business as much yo do in the gym???

if no, the buddy with the BMI index said it right!

ReubenA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 3, 2016

whitefemalemale.gif

• Ability
  • Mindset
  • Effort (time)

So to summarize:

You're drawing the wrong conclusion from that chart. No-where in it does it have the frequency or intensity of someones workouts.

Is your definition of 'too in shape' a BMI of under 20? Because that's pretty close to under-weight.

If someone (like the OP) is actively working at gaining muscle at the gym then it's very easy to tip over into the 'obese' category of a high BMI. BMI is irrelevant for something like this.

This is pretty simple, IMO..

1. You don't need to spend over 10-15 hours in the gym a week to achieve whatever fitness / physique goal you want (unless you want to become a professional athlete? But it sounds like your main goal is to gain muscle.)

2. Spending over 50-60 hours a week working is counter-productive

3. Your workouts shouldn't sap your energy to the point where you can't work effectively on other things. If they are you're most likely overtraining and/or not eating enough, or eating low quality food

4. There are 15 x 7 = 105 hours in a week. Being conservative :)

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
This makes no sense and the amount of theory in this thread is quite interesting and over the top, imo. There's 18 hours in a day, it doesn't take much to spare 1-1.5 hours a day to hit the gym, train and work out. You can't sit at a computer for 18 hours a day straight and work, that in itself is insanely unhealthy plus you'll look and feel like garbage (I know I do when I skip a day).

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
Physical activity is beneficial; be efficient.

Ex: steady state activity (walking, yard work, laundry, picking up after the kids) with a business audio book. Finish up a chore with some heavy lifts or HIIT, however you want to structure it.

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016

For me it's like brushing your teeth or getting a shower...it's a must. BUT don't obsess about it. 2-3 hours week (including some cardio) is all you need then leave it. Do not waste your time with more and more gym time, hanging out with the gymrats etc...

Diet is 80%+ of the equation.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States

Anecdotally, your post is pretty accurate for me.

As I up the seriousness of my climbing training, it definitely cuts into my work productivity. I haven't been able to find a way to max out both.

I've looked into ways to shave off time, and found some more efficient workouts that give me more bang for my buck, as far as time is concerned.

I'm also experimenting with some meal prep services so I don't spend time cooking.

I'm also trying working out at different times of the day. I've tried working out in the morning, and in the late afternoon, and I'm not sure which is best.

I've never found it easy to get back to working on the business after a solid workout. I also find that I don't work out as hard, when I go after working on the business all day.

So in conclusion... it's a challenge.

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest
I think anytime you place your self under the high stress of any type of business you need some type of outlet to relieve stress.

Many traditional businessmen use women and booze as stress relief. I'm sure we can all admit that using the gym is a better outlet to relieve stress while adding years to your life.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
I've benefited from Wendler's 5/3/1 program. Kind of simple and boring, but sets up continual and slow progress over years. Can get through a day's workout in about 40 minutes at home (I've got a squat rack in my basement office). I was doing Texas Method before and was just getting beat down - tired, irritable, 2 hour long workouts, etc.

Ascension

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Feb 1, 2016
Germany

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, I don't know that, but I wouldn't draw that conclusion from the diagram you provided.
I would argue that only a small fraction of the people with a BMI over 24 got there because of weight-lifting but rather because of junk food. (Which I believe we can all agree on, reduces productivity)
Likewise there are a lot of more common reasons other than training for a marathon (just an example) to drop below that BMI of 24 (stress, sickness, etc.)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, I don't know that, but I wouldn't draw that conclusion from the diagram you provided.
I would argue that only a small fraction of the people with a BMI over 24 got there because of weight-lifting but rather because of junk food. (Which I believe we can all agree on, reduces productivity)
Likewise there are a lot of more common reasons other than training for a marathon (just an example) to drop below that BMI of 24 (stress, sickness, etc.)

To clarify my post a bit:

BMI is a horrible metric, but it's the only one I could find that researchers correlated to wealth.

Something like body fat % vs wealth would be a lot more interesting, but it's not something I could find.

And yeah, high BMI is likely a result of being fat and lazy more often than muscular (in reference to the general population).

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

whitefemalemale.gif

Rep+ on the in-depth analysis.

I think wealthier people focus more on health and fitness during the maintenance/ liquidation phases of their business.

MJ mentioned something in UNSCRIPTED about being temporarily unbalanced to achieve higher success in the business building phase. I am assuming taking a hit on your diet and workout is what he meant.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
OPTIMIZE - OPTIMIZE - OPTIMIZE.

If you spend too much time, analyse why. Is it because it takes ages to prepare meals? Is it because you have shitty music and spend too much time browsing through YouTube? Is it because you are butt-camping too much? Or maybe engaging in endless conversations with time wasters?

I personally spend 1h at the gym. I do 20min HIIT and 40min weights. In those 40min I manage to do 6 different exercises (4 sets and 12-15 reps each). Travelling, showering and training combined takes 90min of my day. Bet guess what?

After every workout I feel better. This affects my business development in many ways. Such as, I am more optimistic about its success, capable of approaching people with confidence, capable of executing tasks under stress and much more. To put it simply, I manage to accomplish more in less time.

Do not forget: you are a soul living in a body. If you take care of your body it'll take care of you. Rant over.

EDIT: I understand, some of you prefer dedicating your entire free time building a business. Maybe some of you even eat less in order to take dump less frequently. But taking care of my body has a direct positive effect to my mind - so I'll keep training no matter what. If I had no time, I'd still spend 30min in the morning doing pushups, situps, crunches and meditation. But that's just me anyways.

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
To clarify my post a bit:

BMI is a horrible metric, but it's the only one I could find that researchers correlated to wealth.

Something like body fat % vs wealth would be a lot more interesting, but it's not something I could find.

And yeah, high BMI is likely a result of being fat and lazy more often than muscular (in reference to the general population).

Data point: I've gained weight as my financial situation has gotten more stressful. Am I fat because I'm poor, or am I poor because I'm fat? Why did they have to raise the damn prices at Wendy's anyway?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016

For sure. ^^^

My doc says I should lose like 25 pounds because the BMI chart said 26.8

Yeah, ok. But I'm only 12-15% body fat so...

Anyway, for the group:

I lift for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I run one mile a day as well, takes about 15 minutes all said and done.

Y'all can't spare 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week?

You know how much weight you can push in 30 minutes???

Day #1
1 mile run
Bench Press 10x10
Shoulder Press 10x10

Day #2
1 mile run
Wristroller 5x5
Hanging leg raise 10x10
Parallel Grip Deadlift 5x5

Day #3
1 mile run
Curls 10x10
Rows 10x10

Day #4
Off

Day #5
Off

Repeat with day #1 (works out to 5 days a week)

I also do 100 consecutive dips on my office chair daily, 6 days a week. Takes just a few minutes.

If I'm in a hotel I run 5-10 miles and do 500 dips daily.

I do several hundred hand grip exercises in the car daily as well.

Compared to what I used to do, I'm slacking!

F*ck balance and work harder guys!

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
"I do several hundred hand grip exercises in the car daily as well."

Watch out on those handgrip exercises. My pops was doing those like crazy for a few years to be in better shape for dirt bike riding. He developed arthritis. I've read mixed things online but my understanding is your hands are meant to grip in a static way, not a constant contracting and loosening under pressure.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Keep working out and developing your passion for that. It's a good habit to develop the discipline of pushing yourself physically. It will spill over into other areas of life.

If it's taking too much time, optimize the way you work out.

I have the opposite problem. I lift weights 3 times a week and do HIIT 2 times. I would like to work out more but I have to rest to recover.

I would say if you are spending more than 1.5 hours at the gym every day, then you could be doing the exercises better. Using less weight and doing more isolated, slow, controlled movements has allowed me to rip my muscles to shreds in a small amount of time compared to swinging around heavy a$$ weights and not utilizing proper form.

You probably do, but in case you don't, watch some Youtube videos about lifting. ScottHermanFitness and Athlean-X are both good. Lately they preach lowering your weight and focussing on proper form and completely exhausting the muscle you're working on.

Good luck!

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Working out is necessary
Set a time where you can get in a good workout
I feel more relaxed after a hard workout

mbRichard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 4, 2016

I think it comes down to what your priorities are

I'm a gym fanatic myself, but business always comes first. After a long hard day I love to take my time to smash it out at the gym - not to mention it helps that I'd like to get into the fitness industry one day.

If you've read Miracle Morning (great book) it shows how a morning routine will tremendously boost your productivity throughout the day - and one habit to do is go gym early in the morning. Not just for the gains but for feeling good overall.

You're working on your biz to eventually become financially free - gym will always be there as a 'release' after a stressful day, I'd say create a schedule that maximises the best of both worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chromozone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Oct 28, 2015
United Kingdom
I think this is a super interesting thread.

I personally work out four to five times a week (compound lifts and then cardio once a week). I usually get my workouts done between 30-50 minutes and as I have a home gym I can fit my workouts in quite easily.

The benefits of exercise for our general health are well documented. Basically you have a lower chance of death overall from everything (cancers, heart disease, complications of diabetes etc etc). Also, exercise releases a ton of awesome hormones - such as serotonin, dopamine and brain derived neurotropic factor which has been shown to actually help our brains grow and develop further (it increases neuroplasticity).

I find that after a workout I am a lot more focused, more energetic and just feel really good.

However, I do sometimes wonder if working out has any bearing on being successful. I notice that a lot of successful people workout, but is this the cause of their success?

A though experiment would go something like the following;

Say we take a sample of 1000 stray dogs and gave them a new doggy treat in the form of chemotherapy. Over a period of time a large percentage of these dogs will die. If we then released the remaining dogs on to the streets again and these dogs became the leaders in their pack an analytical type of person may come along and come to the conclusion that the chemotherapy made these dogs stronger, when in fact it was just that some dogs could take more stressors and merely survived.

In fact the chemotherapy made the surviving dogs over all weaker.

It's a completely false interpretation of the results which discounts all the dogs that passed away. (In the case of "success" we could point to all the people who workout and don't become "successful" and vice versa).

Someone then may even come along and say that chemotherapy will make dogs stronger and commercialise the product! "Chemo-Dogs! The treat that will activate your dogs brain survival centers!"

So in conclusion, I personally have no idea if exercise helps in becoming successful, but if we do it to be healthy and to be the best version of ourselves, then I don't think we can go far wrong. :)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I do 3 hours a day, come at me bro!

Please SEARCH before posting.