The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gym — Workout — Obdormition ?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
A question to people, who have experience with bodybuilding and workout.
If you don’t want to read all story, just jump to the question in the last chapter. Thanks

Over the decades I did lot of sport. I m 56 now and still deep into that.

When I started climbing and motocross, the arm muscles grew and I had the problem, that my arms fell asleep often.
Over the years it got better and I didn’t have big problems with that.
Only my arms fell asleep, when I went mountainbiking longer distances. Or when I ly on my back longer time.

Jump to 8 weeks ago : I had hard work for 2 weeks, what is no problem, as I m quite fit. But after about one and a half week, I couldn’t put my head back and my left arm is nearly allways asleep. For my thats a catastrophe, as I m very active.
When You ride dirtbike, you have to stand for propper riding. As soon as I stand up, my left arm falls asleep. As soon as I sit on the mountainbike, my arm falls asleep.

Docs: my neck spine is worn out, nerves are sore.

So I don’t allways believe the docs, but they make a part view of all.

But my body in my responsibility, so
I came to the conclusion, that my problem is the nerves going through the muscles of the shoulder. As my inner shoulder muscles are quite strong, maybe they just squeeze the nerves.

Since February I go to the gym 2-3 a week and I mainly make the top of my body, as I look a bid like a chicken breast and allways wanted to increase the eye catching muscles.

Now my questions:
Can it be possible, that the size of the muscles in the shoulder area really causes the damage of the nerves as far, that my arm allways falls asleep?
Should I stop or reduce the gym part?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
If you don’t want to read all story, just jump to the question in the last chapter. Thanks

When I started climbing and motocross, the arm muscles grew and I had the problem, that my arms fell asleep often.
Only my arms fell asleep, when I went mountainbiking longer distances. Or when I ly on my back longer time.

Jump to 8 weeks ago : I had hard work for 2 weeks, what is no problem, as I m quite fit. But after about one and a half week, I couldn’t put my head back and my left arm is nearly allways asleep. For my thats a catastrophe, as I m very active.
When You ride dirtbike, you have to stand for propper riding. As soon as I stand up, my left arm falls asleep. As soon as I sit on the mountainbike, my arm falls asleep.

I came to the conclusion, that my problem is the nerves going through the muscles of the shoulder. As my inner shoulder muscles are quite strong, maybe they just squeeze the nerves.

Since February I go to the gym 2-3 a week and I mainly make the top of my body, as I look a bid like a chicken breast and allways wanted to increase the eye catching muscles.

Now my questions:
Can it be possible, that the size of the muscles in the shoulder area really causes the damage of the nerves as far, that my arm allways falls asleep?
I was a bodybuilder when I was younger and I managed to damage my collar bone/shoulder . I wasn't really able to use my arm for 3 months as lifting even my own arm would cause the nerves to give out and my arm would drop.

After 3 months I could use it but only very lightly. Took more than 2 years for the pain to stop.

I never went to a doctor because im an idiot lol

Have you been to see anyone about this specifically?
Because I've never heard of someones arms going to sleep while riding a bike and I cant imagine you have so much muscle mass that it could be causing a never problem if you're the sort of guy who mountain bikes

I've found a link to a forum where someone is talking about there hands falling sleep while riding, maybe its something similar to you: Hands falling asleep.

Hope you get it sorted!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
If by "arms go to sleep" you mean temporary paralysis you should contact your doctor as soon as possible.

The most likely cause is spinal nerve damage and you do not want to play with this. It has nothing to do with your workouts or any muscle imbalances. It's chronic bad posture or bad habits that are damaging your back.

Zyzzz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 12, 2022
Nigeria

Now my questions:
If you don't believe someone who dedicated their whole life studying medicine, how will you believe strangers on the internet giving you medical advice?

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Physical Therapist here:

Trust the professionals, bud. As said above, they dedicate their whole life to this stuff. The only other possibility that it MIGHT be is Thoracic Outlet Syndrome(TOS).

However, if symptoms arise after a change in neck position it is more likely cervical related. If the change in symptoms arises from differnt positions in the shoulder, than TOS may be your problem. I'll note that this is not a common diagnosis.

Work with both an orthopedic doctor and a physical therapist. This is exactly the types of thing we work on. A bunch of people on a business forum will not be properly diagnosing you... including me.

Anyways, my suggestions above is not meant to diagnosis you. There is no way for anyone to truely know without hands on treatment, imaging, special tests, etc.

Trust the doctors and physical therapists. Give them 6-8 weeks to try and resolve your problem. If no changes in symptoms occur, then maybe we can think about a different diagnosis.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Physical Therapist here:

Trust the professionals, bud. As said above, they dedicate their whole life to this stuff. The only other possibility that it MIGHT be is Thoracic Outlet Syndrome(TOS).

However, if symptoms arise after a change in neck position it is more likely cervical related. If the change in symptoms arises from differnt positions in the shoulder, than TOS may be your problem. I'll note that this is not a common diagnosis.

Work with both an orthopedic doctor and a physical therapist. This is exactly the types of thing we work on. A bunch of people on a business forum will not be properly diagnosing you... including me.

Anyways, my suggestions above is not meant to diagnosis you. There is no way for anyone to truely know without hands on treatment, imaging, special tests, etc.

Trust the doctors and physical therapists. Give them 6-8 weeks to try and resolve your problem. If no changes in symptoms occur, then maybe we can think about a different diagnosis.
Thanks a lot. I did the Adson Test
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7346RaEGKU
and it clearly shows the symptoms immediately.

I ll try to figure out a specific hospital therefor.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Thanks a lot. I did the Adson Test
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7346RaEGKU
and it clearly shows the symptoms immediately.

I ll try to figure out a specific hospital therefor.
There are a few special tests for TOS. Adson's test has a Sensitivity of 32-87% and specificity of 74-100% which means this can be a false positive. Another test is Roos test: Sensitivity of 82-84% and specificity of 30-100%.

When PTs find positive special tests they can be suggestive of a problem, but special tests do not confirm a diagnosis, but rather a potential diagnosis that can point us in the right direction for treatment.

I still suggest seeing a PT in conjunction with an orthopedic doctor, hands-on treatment is your best option, in my opinion.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
There are a few special tests for TOS. Adson's test has a Sensitivity of 32-87% and specificity of 74-100% which means this can be a false positive. Another test is Roos test: Sensitivity of 82-84% and specificity of 30-100%.

When PTs find positive special tests they can be suggestive of a problem, but special tests do not confirm a diagnosis, but rather a potential diagnosis that can point us in the right direction for treatment.

I still suggest seeing a PT in conjunction with an orthopedic doctor, hands-on treatment is your best option, in my opinion.
Yes, I run from Doc to PT to osteopath since 4 weeks and slowly I can build myself a picture.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
If someone wants to know:
I tried to make my life good, but allways had the same problems, sometimes better, sometimes worse.
At the MRI scan in July ther were some small issues, but nothing big.
In November I got to a very good orthopedist, he didnt see anything alarming on the scan, too, but told me to hold still as much as possible.
Nealy nothing changed, I nearly despaired. By the weeks, it slowly got a bit better, but not significantly.

So today is a great day for me, because :
I got a new MRI scan and there is a big disc prolapse.
This is great news for me, because it explains all issues AND its most likely, that with keeping still I will recover someday.

Only wanted to tell.

kendamakid

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Apr 14, 2018
USA
If someone wants to know:
I tried to make my life good, but allways had the same problems, sometimes better, sometimes worse.
At the MRI scan in July ther were some small issues, but nothing big.
In November I got to a very good orthopedist, he didnt see anything alarming on the scan, too, but told me to hold still as much as possible.
Nealy nothing changed, I nearly despaired. By the weeks, it slowly got a bit better, but not significantly.

So today is a great day for me, because :
I got a new MRI scan and there is a big disc prolapse.
This is great news for me, because it explains all issues AND its most likely, that with keeping still I will recover someday.

Only wanted to tell.
@Ing I think @Mikkel is on the right track for you recommending a doctor and a physical therapist(PT). An MRI only looks at anatomy for the most part and not function. So, if something is anatomically present, e.g. the disc prolapse, it doesn't always mean its the cause of the your symptoms. The Adson test and other tests (nerve conduction, other physical maneuvers) may help to paint the right picture of what's going on. The best would be a PT and doctor who speak to each other about your issue rather than individually assessing it.

You wouldn't want to have unnecessary surgery on your neck for example if it really is thoracic outlet from big muscles or some variant anatomy you have.
Always seek a second opinion if you have time. If there is a difference, a third opinion may help.

Hope this resolves soon for you. But yes as @Zyzzz mentioned, don't always trust everything on the internet. Look at the sources deeply and use your doctor and PT.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.