The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gun Chat/Personal Protection: The Dangers Of Getting Really Rich

BEAR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 11, 2007
Montana
As an avid shooter with a private range on my property that gets used daily, I would STRONGLY recommend that anyone that owns a gun to take a class from a quality certified instructor. Just having a gun does not make you any safer and it can actually cause you more harm if you are not properly trained and respectful of it.

Some of your "nightstand" guns are poor choices. Handguns, especially revolvers (with low round count), are generally a bad idea, especially if you are not shooting at least once every couple of weeks and learn how to shoot under high stress situations. The odds of you missing and running empty are high.
I recommend a shotgun (I prefer a shorter pistol grip) with progressing ammunition loaded into it. I run two bird shot rounds, followed by two buckshot rounds and the remainder in slugs.

Most importantly, you need a light or a light laser combination. You HAVE to see what you are aiming at. It could be a family member that just happened to stop by, maybe it is your neighbors kid and they are so drunk they went to the wrong house, etc. You will need to quickly determine if lethal force is necessary BEFORE your finger ever touches the trigger.

I am a strong advocate for self defense but please take gun ownership very seriously and train to be safe with them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Amen to that.

Everyone says they want to "take the class" meaning the CHL class. They wont teach you how to shoot just test your skills. Safety is first. Shooting is second.

Ladies always want little guns that are impossible to shoot. This is why I am advocating glocks. If you can operate one you can operate all and they all have a nice capacity and sight radius.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
Ladies always want little guns that are impossible to shoot. This is why I am advocating glocks. If you can operate one you can operate all and they all have a nice capacity and sight radius.
I currently have a Springfield XD9m which I wouldn't trade for anything. However, I would disagree with recommending an auto to everyone. I am looking at the Ruger LCR for my girlfriend to carry, which I think is a great choice for anyone who is only interested in carrying for self defense.

Just like any other tool, the best choice will always depend on the intended use. While they are definitely not as cool, there are a lot of advantages to a revolver:
1. Realistically, they are small and light enough to carry and conceal. My XD is pretty damn big, so most of the time I only have it in my car. Not much use if I need it anywhere else.
2. MUCH safer to keep one in the chamber. If you are going to carry, it's important to have it ready when you need it.
3. More reliable. I bought one of the best pocket .380 autos that money can buy, and I ended up selling it because it jammed like crazy. I tried different ammo, but the thing was just unreliable.

The three disadvantages are:
1. Capacity. Not much of a problem if you are carrying, because most confrontations will only last a second or two, and the mere presence of the gun is enough to end the situation.
2. Reload time. Again, most encounters would not require more than 1 - 2 shots to end.
3. Accuracy. This is the biggest disadvantage IMO. However if this is for personal carry, you would usually be at close enough range to not even need the sights.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am looking at the Ruger LCR for my girlfriend to carry, which I think is a great choice for anyone who is only interested in carrying for self defense.

My big problem here is the inaccuracy and tiny capacity. A Glock model 26,27 or 33 would shoot circles around a Ruger LCR, I do not care about the skill level. I have both, the LCR is absolutely not as good of a gun for women.

I have never had a glock fail, ever. I have short-stroked the trigger on the lcr and had hiccups before.

If you are carrying a glock, keep it in a holster of somekind that covers the trigger.

I agree on the Springfields, they are good guns and really like the grip safety, but prefer the lower bore access of the Glock.

Sig is my favorite gun, but for beginners I believe you can not beat a glock.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Kak, have you shot or owned the HK45 USP Compact? I don't know they are really nice....I am almost leaning towards this now instead of Glock 30sf.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
HK makes a fantastic gun for more of a gun snob like myself as opposed to glock which is like the Toyota of guns. I prefer Sigs to HK because of the magazine release design though.

I also like the DA/SA trigger, i find it safer than glock and also more accurate.

In your case I would rather have the HK for sure.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I prefer Sigs to HK because of the magazine release design

I did notice the HK45 mag release seemed somewhat inconvenient but very very nice gun. I'm sold :)

BEAR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 11, 2007
Montana
I also own an LCR with factory laser and can honestly say that it is a less than desirable gun for most women. 5 rounds, huge recoil, no hammer, short barrel, difficult to reload, carrying speed loaders take up alot of room (bulky).

My wife shoots a Glock 19 and cant stand to shoot the LCR as it hurts her hand and she is inacurate due to the recoil.

Revolvers by nature have more recoil.

Anyone still set on a LCR? mines for sale......

My personal favorite is Sig.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
5 rounds, huge recoil, no hammer, short barrel, difficult to reload, carrying speed loaders take up alot of room (bulky).
I think a lot of people overestimate the value of extra capacity and reload time. Having a gun on you with 5 shots is 100% more useful than a gun that is too big to carry. In 99.9% of cases, you wont need more than 2 shots to stop the situation. I am not talking about stopping power, or anything of that nature. My goal with a carry pistol is nothing more than to get out of a situation I don't want to be in. If that ends in them running away before I even fire a shot, that's even better.

I am not set on the LCR, and now that I think about it, the last time I held one I remember it being bigger than I expected. I am just saying that for women, and myself for that matter, most autos are simply too big to carry. That and my terrible experiences with the 'pocket' autos has led me to believe that small revolvers are still worth considering.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think a lot of people overestimate the value of extra capacity and reload time. Having a gun on you with 5 shots is 100% more useful than a gun that is too big to carry. In 99.9% of cases, you wont need more than 2 shots to stop the situation. I am not talking about stopping power, or anything of that nature. My goal with a carry pistol is nothing more than to get out of a situation I don't want to be in. If that ends in them running away before I even fire a shot, that's even better.

I am not set on the LCR, and now that I think about it, the last time I held one I remember it being bigger than I expected. I am just saying that for women, and myself for that matter, most autos are simply too big to carry. That and my terrible experiences with the 'pocket' autos has led me to believe that small revolvers are still worth considering.

Get a P238 Sig, about the most accurate pocket gun money can buy. That said I let 2 women shoot mine today and they went right back to the glock.

If you want to destroy the experience for her and keep her uncomfortable around guns, by all means get her a pocket pistol.

roc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Feb 12, 2011
If your concerns are home security, by all means get a shotgun with some buckshot and a flashlight attachment. You can't beat a shotgun for home defense, obviously have a handgun too.

Just remember to have a plan in place, not to sound like a broken record someone breaks into your house you get yourself to a secure area with your firearm and call 911. There are huge details, that need to be addressed, I.e securing the kids, and deciding where to hold up until the police get there. Roc

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Shotguns put a lot of lead in an attacker. Very true.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Most importantly, you need a light or a light laser combination. You HAVE to see what you are aiming at. It could be a family member that just happened to stop by, maybe it is your neighbors kid and they are so drunk they went to the wrong house, etc.
There are many true stories of accidents like this where friends or family members get shot in the dark.

A low-risk idea?

Use the motion-activated switches in your house.

As silly as it sounds, it is a pretty good safety measure.

Assailants will get deterred by things that put a spotlight on them. Well, in this case the spotlight is there literally.

It also works wonders for the little ones in the house, so when they wake up in the middle of the night, the aisles and rooms are not scary places for them anymore.

And any intruder would probably run away as soon as a light goes on, as they have no way to know if somebody actually discovered them and turned the lights on.

Toao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Nov 29, 2012
Germany - close to Europe
Associate with like-minded people. When you start caring about what others think, that is the moment you can either lose your wealth or lose your health. (Mind)

I find it really tough to find like minded people, especially with an entrepreneurial attitude.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I find it really tough to find like minded people, especially with an entrepreneurial attitude.

X2! I have a hard time making and keeping friends. Most people just want to talk football and drink. I think it is just the way of the masses.

I can not wait until I can buy a home in Carlton Woods and join the club. You are basically a successful person if you live there. People that are not like the masses.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
Get a P238 Sig, about the most accurate pocket gun money can buy. That said I let 2 women shoot mine today and they went right back to the glock.

If you want to destroy the experience for her and keep her uncomfortable around guns, by all means get her a pocket pistol.
This still doesn't address the fact that most people don't actually carry their pistols. Also, what is comfortable at the range has no bearing on what is necessary in the field. I view my pistols as tools....tools that are useful in rare circumstances. My rifle is far more useful when i am actually prepared. My pistol needs to be accessible when I am NOT expecting.

If your concerns are home security, by all means get a shotgun with some buckshot and a flashlight attachment. You can't beat a shotgun for home defense, obviously have a handgun too
Again, guns are tools to me. A shotgun is the best home defense. Very little penetration, very intimidating, and incredibly effective. Just like any other tool, the right firearm will always depend on the situation.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This still doesn't address the fact that most people don't actually carry their pistols. Also, what is comfortable at the range has no bearing on what is necessary in the field. I view my pistols as tools....tools that are useful in rare circumstances. My rifle is far more useful when i am actually prepared. My pistol needs to be accessible when I am NOT expecting.

Understood. A small gun is easier to carry. What you seem to be ignoring is that the size has little bearing on whether they carry it or not. 99% of licensed CHL holders probably carry once a year. These people are better served with full frame autos.

Women also carry purses, a larger gun can easily be concealed in a purse if they choose to carry.

Again, guns are tools to me. A shotgun is the best home defense. Very little penetration, very intimidating, and incredibly effective. Just like any other tool, the right firearm will always depend on the situation.

Best defense for home? Damage wise, round type, intimidating, a 12ga. I Agree. But a Glock is easier to use. I brought my GF to the range to shoot my benelli nova. There is no way she could shoot that thing under stress. You and I, absolutely. It would be the most devastating gun to end a threat in your home. Her, full frame handgun, hands down.

Look. The vast majority of the time I carry a pocket Sig. It serves its purpose. My point is that just because it is little absolutely does not make it better for a woman. Guys all too often buy their ladies something inaccurate, tiny and under powered for the recoil it delivers. Under stress no one would know the difference between the recoil of a 9mm vs a 40, 357, 45.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
There is no way she could shoot that thing under stress. You and I, absolutely, it would be the most devastating gun to end a threat in your home.
In the end it always boils down to what you're comfortable with :) Everyone is different, and I was just trying to point out the age-old benefit of variety. I know you live around The Woodlands, so if you'd ever like to go shoot sometime let me know.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
In the end it always boils down to what you're comfortable with :) Everyone is different, and I was just trying to point out the age-old benefit of variety. I know you live around The Woodlands, so if you'd ever like to go shoot sometime let me know.

Absolutely! Let me know when you are in town! I typically go to a place called Sportsman's Outlet outside of Kingwood, but I think Thunder on 1314 would be my closest bet. :thumbsup:

roc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Feb 12, 2011
If you don't know what your shooting at, then you shouldn't be shooting at it. I.E. your bedroom door opens and you go Dirty Harry, and just unload into it, forgetting the fact that you have kids in the house. Serious if you intend to carry a gun, of any kind, get some training, and go the range ever so often.

No offense the laser/light combo is great, but realistically if your in a shoot situation that laser really isn't going to help due to the fact that your going to be shooting from hip.

Agree 100% Andiv, have your house secured with motion lights and security alarm, most criminals will move to an easier target if they see there are motion lights, and alarm signs in the window etc. Hope this helps Roc

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
No offense the laser/light combo is great, but realistically if your in a shoot situation that laser really isn't going to help due to the fact that your going to be shooting from hip.

This makes no sense to me. If you are shooting from the hip, the only thing that will help your aim is the laser sight.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Lol no one shoots from the hip. At least aim the gun along your arm. This isnt frickin scarface. Hahahahahahaha

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
[video=youtube;g2wD5TaMf2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wD5TaMf2k[/video]

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
A little off topic:

My FB news feed is littered with the gun debate right now. There are a lot of liberal kids on there talking about banning semi automatics and hand guns. I keep replying to them:

Man you're so right, if only guns were illegal! Then those law abiding criminals wouldn't be allowed to use them!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Lol no one shoots from the hip. At least aim the gun along your arm. This isnt frickin scarface. Hahahahahahaha

If you go to any firearms self-defense course, they tell you that you chances are that you will probably not be able to shoot from any preferred stance to even aligning your sights. I was responding to the above post where they are talking close quarters, night time intruder scenario. In these cases, you may not be able to even extend your arms in your are in a struggle. This is where a laser sight would be hugely beneficial. At least you will know you aren't going to shoot yourself in the leg. Also, the nice little red dot is a good deterrent when an intruder sees it scanning around.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I did notice the HK45 mag release seemed somewhat inconvenient but very very nice gun. I'm sold

I love the HK Mag release. Ambidextrous, you don't have to shift your grip it use it. Love it. My only gripe with HKs is that they are pretty thick guns...a little more so than Glocks.

roc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Feb 12, 2011
No offense man, it's called point shooting. Most gun battles are less then four feet, and if you think your going to have time to get a shot off with proper alignment, I.e pulling your gun up and getting your target lined up in your sights, and or laser focused on your target, your NOT.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Off topic: but since we are on 1911's, I do not own a 1911 yet, what 1911's handle hollow points the best without significant feeding problems; jamming? Been reading reviews and so far buying a different clip that is not stock seems to help some with the 1911's; what ammo do you use for yours?

Any modern 1911 will feed fine with any .45 ACP ammo.

Hollow points didn't feed well in older versions because the feed ramp and angle of the bullet when it was feeding didn't work. But modern gun manufactures have fixed this.

As with any pistol you plan on using for self defense take a class and learn how to really shoot.

Pistol Malfunction Clearance - YouTube
For example clearing a jam is vital, I don't care what gun you shoot they all don't work eventually.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.