The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gun Chat/Personal Protection: The Dangers Of Getting Really Rich

D

DeletedUser11

Recently this surgeon guy nearby (he's not that rich just a comfortable 6 figure dude) got robbed by 3 men with crowbars in his home during daytime. They took jewelry, cash, and broke the windows on his Mercedes Benz for no reason, they didn't even steal it. He was a target because he lives in a really big house.

That made me think about personal safety if/when you attain significant amounts of wealth.

I mean if people found out you make 10s of millions, sold your company for 20,50,100 million or they just saw you cruising around in a brand new lambo, while they were rolling along in 02 fiat, some ppl get really jealous and you would be a target.

Would you need bodyguards like a celebrity ?

Your families security may even be compromised (ransoms)

I remember reading the wolf of wall street by Jordan Belfort, and when he was making a million dollars a week he had 2 bodyguards at his house in 24 hours a day and he wasn't even famous.

I know this is such an off topic thread and I sound ultra paranoid haha but I'm just curios, I have been mugged twice before and it's such a bad feeling.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
Warren Buffett is a billionaire and walks around by himself, no security, bodyguards, or anything, not even at his house I don't think.

However, my friends are personally my bodyguards, we stick together. That + a concealed carry license and I'd feel pretty safe all the time. Bodyguards aren't a bad idea though but I just have a feeling that even if I'm traveling, in the case that I'm rich, I'd always have at least 2 friends with me & the CCW of course. Depends on you as a person, what you're comfortable with, how you feel, and just how "safe" you want to be.

D

DeletedUser11

Warren Buffett is a billionaire and walks around by himself, no security, bodyguards, or anything, not even at his house I don't think.

[video=youtube;0rbOJSoCTPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rbOJSoCTPQ[/video]

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
65946.jpg

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Rob me. Break in to my home. Try to carjack me. You DIE. Literally.

It would be the last time it ever happened to me.

D

DeletedUser11

Rob me. Break in to my home. Try to carjack me. You DIE. Literally.

It would be the last time it ever happened to me.

I'd take getting robbed over jail any day,

I found this article pretty interesting, rich businessman gets burgled, tied up and attacks intruder.

Businessman goes to jail for 30 months, Intruder (with 50 previous convictions) got off on probation for 2 years. Businessman jailed for attacking intruder - who goes free - Telegraph

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Didn't someone break MJ's lambo window when he was on a trip?
That is why you get insurance but it still sucks that people do that because they are jealous.

D

DeletedUser11

That is why you get insurance but it still sucks that people do that because they are jealous.

Wow I didn't know that, ya i saw a show "millionaire boy racers" about these young arab guys in there early 20s in london driving aventadors, ferraris, paganis you name it.

And one of them mentioned being rich, YOUNG and driving a nice car draws a lot of negative attention, ppl spat and put chewing gum on his cars and the police impounded his car many times claiming he didn't have insurance even though he showed them the documents.

Here is the link, the scene starts at 35 [video=youtube;t3_Tug-EX8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_Tug-EX8U[/video]

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011

I found this article pretty interesting, rich businessman gets burgled, tied up and attacks intruder.

Businessman goes to jail for 30 months, Intruder (with 50 previous convictions) got off on probation for 2 years. Businessman jailed for attacking intruder - who goes free - Telegraph

Probably because they cornered the guy, put him in a helpless position (and there was two of them) and then literally broke a bat over his head, cracking his skull in the process and leaving him unfit to even plead. Shooting a guy because he's running at you with a knife or a gun is a completely different story.

Rick Grantham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 15, 2013
Probably because they cornered the guy, put him in a helpless position (and there was two of them) and then literally broke a bat over his head, cracking his skull in the process and leaving him unfit to even plead. Shooting a guy because he's running at you with a knife or a gun is a completely different story.

Plus it was in the UK. I don't think the UK is very big on self-defense against an intruder.

Rick

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
Being wealthy can easily attract just as much negative attention (if not more) than it does positive attention. Your problems don't leave; you simply have a different set of problems.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

You just have to be aware of the "stand your ground" laws. In Texas, what I said is 100% true. Rightfully so. You should be absolutely allowed to stand your ground.

Any state that authorizes CHL has accepted a firearm as a legal means to end a deadly threat.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Associate with like-minded people. When you start caring about what others think, that is the moment you can either lose your wealth or lose your health. (Mind)

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I saw an episode of First 48 not so long ago, where a guy was shot and killed, because he was driving a Z3. Some young punks saw him driving it and decided they wanted the car, so they followed him home, and tried to steal the car from him. He fought back (and was actually overpowering one of the kids), so they shot him.
They never even took the car. Meanwhile the guy left behind a young family - wife and 2 kids I think.

Just makes me so sad and angry, because its so incredibly senseless.

D

DeletedUser11

I saw an episode of First 48 not so long ago, where a guy was shot and killed, because he was driving a Z3. Some young punks saw him driving it and decided they wanted the car, so they followed him home, and tried to steal the car from him. He fought back (and was actually overpowering one of the kids), so they shot him.
They never even took the car. Meanwhile the guy left behind a young family - wife and 2 kids I think.

Just makes me so sad and angry, because its so incredibly senseless.

A z3 isn't even that nice a car, I think beverly hills and monaco are the only places where you can get away with being rich and driving flashy cars, since its practically culture there.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
A z3 isn't even that nice a car, I think beverly hills and monaco are the only places where you can get away with being rich and driving flashy cars, since its practically culture there.

This. Cars like a z3 are definitely not flashy and very common in most bigger cities here. Definitely rather a middle class car. And if people even start attacking the middle class, its getting bad.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Here's a counter-intuitive danger: Nassim Nicholas Taleb has pointed out being wealthy enough to afford a personal doctor can be bad for your health. Reason: the doctor needs to justify his existence on the payroll. Therefore he will be more prone to actively diagnose and prescribe treatments for problems that would be better left alone for nature to deal with. Historical example would be blood-letting. More recent example would be celebrity doctors, such as Michael Jackson's.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Associate with like-minded people. When you start caring about what others think, that is the moment you can either lose your wealth or lose your health. (Mind)

Kind of agree but kind of disagree. Caring about what others think is a natural function of all normal humans, even though it may be distasteful to admit. It's the basis of the stickiness of Facebook but also this site right here you're reading this on. Notice the common "Like" function, which is designed to stimulate and exploit the human excitement of seeing "You have 1 Like".

I agree with you that you can lose your wealth or your health, if you start caring about what others think and about being "Liked", BUT it depends on WHO those others are.

ie. If you care about being Liked by Annoying Facebook Girl, yeah you're probably going to have a rather stupid life. If you care about being Liked by respected members of the Bodybuilding.com community, you'll probably have better health. If you care about being Liked by MJ DeMarco, chances are you're going to have better than average chance at wealth.

People understand the importance of building viral properties into products/services, but embedding the "Like" property is what makes things sticky. So I guess yeah there is a danger to caring about "Likes", but it depends on what crowd you choose to stick with.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Yup. Stopped at on Arby's on the way to Las Vegas and took my eyes off the car for 5 minutes. Came back and someone smashed the window. I suspect the weapon used was a hammer or a lead pipe.

This was one of many negative public/driving experiences that started to accumulate -- finally the dam broke, I sold the car.

The equation is use is this: (Sell = Drama > Driving Pleasure). The odd thing is, I suddenly have no desire for anything else having lived the experiences for nearly 10 years.

Default The Dangers Of Getting Really Rich

I recommend you take a look at the "dangers of being really poor".

Living in a gang-infested ghetto or in a homeless shelter isn't actually paradise. :)

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
I live in an extremely remote area…the closest law enforcement is over 2 hours away from me, and in the winter I get snowed in completely where law enforcement couldn’t even get to me without a helicopter. So, that being said, I am on my own when it comes to being able to protect myself. Granted, I don’t have a Lambo parked on my ranch, but I have enough that would be attractive to people out here, and I am surrounded by large scale illegal marijuana grows that only increase the threat.
Perhaps it seems like I’m asking for it living the way I do; however, I refuse to live in fear. Instead I use my head (which comes with knowing how to use the necessary tools to protect oneself). What’s the right way to use a weapon? With confidence. What’s the wrong way? With overconfidence. As soon as you find yourself getting cocky and saying something along the lines of “Just let them try to mess with me” is when your head ends up on a stick.
I could move to the city and be mugged/raped/shot just as easily (maybe even more so). Out here I can let my kids (when I have them) play outside without having to worry about someone in a car driving up and stealing them. I don't have to worry about being mugged when I'm out and about. But I have a whole different set of worries out here that I always have to be on point with (aka: never let my guard down).
There are pros and cons to wherever you live, however you live. I think as long as your possessions don’t define you and you can keep a level head than you have a good chance of overcoming any threat.

G

GuestUser8117

I would have brick walls around my house and I would be willing to pay good money for a body guard lol.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011

I had this happen to me recently and I don't even drive a really nice car and I wont carry because there is no way to do it legally. I just happen to work in some really rough areas where they do not particularly like me. I was even in the car when it happened and you better believe the perps had guns. Its a really shitty feeling and it really makes me hate this state and it gun laws. Because of the gun laws where I work only the outlaws have them, and believe me there is no shortage.

On a side note if I ever become extremely rich I would move and happily retire on a large ranch where I would have no problem defending it. As the country song goes "My house is protected by the good lord and a gun and you might meet em both if you come around here not welcome son"

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have, in the last few years learned something about a CHL, at least in Texas.

They pay for themselves. I have been pulled over for speeding, tags, and other small things probably 20 times since my CHL.

Every stop goes about like this. I hand my license and CHL to the officer and tell him I am armed. He usually asks where it is. At which point I tell him it is in my pocket or on my hip. Have a good day.

Not one ticket or, get this, no meaningless warning tickets either.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yup. Stopped at on Arby's on the way to Las Vegas and took my eyes off the car for 5 minutes. Came back and someone smashed the window. I suspect the weapon used was a hammer or a lead pipe.

This was one of many negative public/driving experiences that started to accumulate -- finally the dam broke, I sold the car.

The equation is use is this: (Sell = Drama > Driving Pleasure). The odd thing is, I suddenly have no desire for anything else having lived the experiences for nearly 10 years.

I recommend you take a look at the "dangers of being really poor".

Living in a gang-infested ghetto or in a homeless shelter isn't actually paradise. :)

Though I would be extremely pissed off, I would be happy that my status-symbol car tore the shitstain up inside to the point where he broke my window. Of course my comp insurance would cover this, but if I were to catch him, I would take tremendous pride in him going bankrupt trying to pay for it.

It would be oddly satisfying to me, that the man's existence was that miserable.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I have the 1911 self defense system, very affective. Don't need a fancy one, just one that's reliable and shoots straight.

1911-a1-45b.jpg

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Gotta love the 1911. I was always kind of a "combat pistol" man myself. Like Sigs, HKs and Glocks. I am really finding myself wanting a Wilson or a Kimber 1911 these days... Classy!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.