The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Gravy's Hustle Thread: $100k/mo or Bust!

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Alicia123

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
May 18, 2020
New York, NY
First off, congratz on your venture. That's a leap most people will never take. So props to you.

The issue was you couldn't produce enough income to replace coorporate America salary in time, and had to go back.

The cleaning biz, commercial and residential, has to be one of the hardest service businesses to run right now. I have multiple friends that have gotten out of the cleaning business (commercial and residential). Some last year, more this year.

I still know a few that are functioning in the commercial sector, but they have pivoted. They're doing COVID cleans, window cleaning, pressure washing (exterior cleaning) which is what we do.

Like anything, you just have to adapt to the current climate. There will always be changes that destroy businesses. Most don't survive because they get lazy.

If you're intent on running the cleaning biz (I think you can still make tons of $ here, more than enough to replace salary), I would first focus on hiring. Because you can do the back end work (scheduling, customer back and forth, quotes etc) from your coorporate job. Then you can send employees on the jobs and collect the $ off top.

You're actually in a further ahead position than I was when I started, because when I started, I had zero dollars to my name. I literally could not afford to hire someone to do the job for me, I had to do it myself. I would have failed if I had hired off the bat. But you can use your coorporate salary, ESPECIALLY if you're working from home, as a sort of "passive income" to work on your cleaning biz. You can easily multi task.

Get on Google Guarenteed (Local Services). Get on Yelp, start running Yelp ads @$750/mo. If you can't close jobs in the first month there's something wrong. You should go in the green within a few weeks.

If you can't, I would pivot to exterior cleaning in your city. Basically the same biz I'm doing. We have not had an issue with COVID at all this year. In fact, if anything, it's helped us immensely. People are home. Working on projects they've put off for 2, 5, 10 years. We wear a mask when greeting the customer, or do a contactless service (person stays inside, communicate by phone). Either way works for us! Collect the $ through check under door mat, cash, or in your case, Venmo, PayPal, Credit Card (stripe). Use whatever you can to figure it out. If you need more help let me know. Go watch my YT vids on how to perform the services so you can make sure your contractors know what they're talking about.

Best of luck. Hope you crush it. Time to get this biz off the ground once and for all.

David

First, thank you for taking the time to respond. Since COVID, do you think that people are still not wanting people in their homes cleaning? Now that people are home more, would they really want to pay and have someone come in and clean? So what you're saying is that I should hire immediately and I do the backend work?

I am definitely going to check out your YT channel.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
First, thank you for taking the time to respond. Since COVID, do you think that people are still not wanting people in their homes cleaning? Now that people are home more, would they really want to pay and have someone come in and clean? So what you're saying is that I should hire immediately and I do the backend work?

I am definitely going to check out your YT channel.
If you offered to clean and make safe AirBnB type rentals starting right away you could grow your business as people start using these units again. Anything to support AirBnB owners should be viable.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Since COVID, do you think that people are still not wanting people in their homes cleaning?

We are going into plenty of homes to do interior glass cleaning (windows, showers, mirrors etc).

Of course there are SOME people who do not want you to come inside. And wear a masks. But it's a numbers game just like anything else.

Instead of asking me the question, you should go and FIND THE ANSWER for yourself. I don't mean that to be a dick. I mean, in your market, the answer will be different than mine. You have to find the yes/no for your situation on your own. No amount of research will help past a certain point, only TAKING ACTION and trial and error will tell.

I know some cities like San Francisco are MUCH more afraid of the Virus than here... but people also have more money than here... who knows. There are so many different factors at play. Yes people are staying home more, but there's also a higher emphasis on being clean in general, fighting germs etc.

So what you're saying is that I should hire immediately and I do the backend work?

You can go that route yes, that would allow you to keep working your day job while building this on the side. Otherwise you can take a leap of faith (I found that this pushes me much harder when I don't have a fall back 9-5 income), although it is difficult because if you're strapped for cash, you can't make moves as quickly or as meaningfully. Right now I have cash reserves like I've never had before, I can throw money at problems until they fix themselves. That is a VERY powerful thing.

Anything to support AirBnB owners should be viable.

Agreed. In my city the Air BnBs are still poppin, constantly booked etc

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Just a little update for everyone, I know I've been quiet on here for a while.

I moved to a new part of my city during the beginning of the summer. For the past few years, I always thought I had wanted to live in the party zone, right by the beach. So I did that.

Very quickly, after only a few short months, I've realized that this type of environment is NOT what I want, or need, to continue building businesses and crushing it.

So I am planning on moving either downtown, to immerse myself amongst other hustlers who are actively taking steps to improve their lives, or up north, amongst more wealthy, upper middle class families (where my business does most of it's service).

The "beach life" sure sounds great at first, but it feels like you're on vacation 24/7. Everyone is partying, chilling, with no goals or ambition.

Some probably could have seen this before they moved, but I had to experience first hand in order to have the realization for myself.

I don't regret the move, but I'm now with 100% certainty that I need to be in a hustling, crazy environment, not living the "laptop on the beach" lifestyle. It doesn't work for my personality type.

That being said!

I've gone through 3 more employees, altho this time most of them have stuck around longer. My training is getting better. I'm realizing what is and isn't important.

I also moved into targeting HOAs, and trying to mandate exterior cleaning in their organizations (can be anywhere from 10-1,000 houses). I sold one with 32 houses, which was around 7k profit in a few days of work. So that was awesome.

I am going to continue expanding the home service business, while also working on the consulting/coaching side of things. I currently have 13 people that I teach the same business to. These people are all across the world (since home services are needed everywhere). It has been VERY fulfilling for me to help other people in similar situations to myself go from $0 to making $5k, $10k, $20k/mo.

I always knew part of my mission was to help others, and this is the way that manifested in the past few months.

My goal is to get to 30 clients/students by the end of the year with the coaching/consulting biz.

We are also hosting a seminar here that teaches the biz, so I am having my buddies film it, and I will publish it for my clients to see that couldn't attend. Looking forward to that in a few weeks.

The industry is also grossly underserved in terms of software automation, so that's the next step I will be looking into. If anyone has any feedback on that front, please let me know (I'm clueless where to start in terms of hiring devs for my ideas).

Hope everyone is crushing it, I will be on here more checking in as this forum has been a huge part of my life.

David

Rabby

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I'll be happy to talk with you about hiring people to develop software. PArticularly if you're thinking mobile applications. I've developed my own, developed other people's for a bit, and presently I pay people to develop mine. It's not something I know everything about, but I might help you avoid some pitfalls.

I love that you've figured out you like teaching people. That can turn into a great business.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I'll be happy to talk with you about hiring people to develop software. PArticularly if you're thinking mobile applications. I've developed my own, developed other people's for a bit, and presently I pay people to develop mine. It's not something I know everything about, but I might help you avoid some pitfalls.

I love that you've figured out you like teaching people. That can turn into a great business.

So there are other players in the space, such as Housecall Pro, Jobber, responsibid, etc. These are all great and do mostly everything you could want. However, there are several tools, or things I want these softwares to do, but they don't...

My goal here is to amass a customer list, then basically build a similar tool to these, and sell this to them instead. Since I'm already paying for traffic, leads, and ultimately customers/students, teaching how to run the business, and setting people up for success, is there any reason I shouldn't just build similar software, brand it something new, and sell it to them? Should I have a Unique Selling Prop for my software over the others?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but, since there are already established competitors in the space, WHY are they not implementing the features that I would have built, if I were to design my own? Is there a REASON these companies with development teams are unable to deploy these features?

I need to know if the features are even possible I guess, before jumping into software development, only to find that they are in fact NOT possible, down the line, and building the same product as my competition with no Unique Selling Proposition.

Is there an easy way to do this? I can PM you the exact features as not to bore others lol

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Hit $2275 profit today. Not my fattest day but fattest in the last two months for sure.

I cannot describe the feeling when EVERYTHING goes right in a day. From wake till sleep, it couldn't have gone better. I felt like an absolute King the entire day, walking around with a beaming smile on my face while working hard, managing people, coming home etc. It was absolutely wonderful and I just wanted to make a note in my log so I don't forget this day. Wow.

Rabby

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
So there are other players in the space, such as Housecall Pro, Jobber, responsibid, etc. These are all great and do mostly everything you could want. However, there are several tools, or things I want these softwares to do, but they don't...

My goal here is to amass a customer list, then basically build a similar tool to these, and sell this to them instead. Since I'm already paying for traffic, leads, and ultimately customers/students, teaching how to run the business, and setting people up for success, is there any reason I shouldn't just build similar software, brand it something new, and sell it to them? Should I have a Unique Selling Prop for my software over the others?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but, since there are already established competitors in the space, WHY are they not implementing the features that I would have built, if I were to design my own? Is there a REASON these companies with development teams are unable to deploy these features?

I need to know if the features are even possible I guess, before jumping into software development, only to find that they are in fact NOT possible, down the line, and building the same product as my competition with no Unique Selling Proposition.

Is there an easy way to do this? I can PM you the exact features as not to bore others lol

I can probably tell you if a feature is possible. Most features are possible, if the way they work can be described.

As for why other companies aren't implementing the feature you want, there are several possibilities there:

1. Most of their customers don't want it
2. They don't know people want it
3. They don't care what customers want because they have their own agenda
4. They know about features customers want even more, so they develop those with priority
5. They're all copying each other, and none of the people they're copying have implemented the feature
6. It would be crazy expensive for some reason
7. The feature violates terms of service for some maj or platform, and they havent found a way around that.
8 etc

At least you can probably find out if customers want the feature.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
@Rabby thanks a ton. I spoke with @Jon L about one of the things I'm trying to have built. It seems like a good starting place and seems possible in the next few months to get going on it.

I also have a totally separate idea that could be used in the info marketing space I'd like to discuss. Do you have time for a call at some point? Even a 30 min call would really help me.

Appreciate your help and advice so far both of you guys.

David

Rabby

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
@Rabby thanks a ton. I spoke with @Jon L about one of the things I'm trying to have built. It seems like a good starting place and seems possible in the next few months to get going on it.

I also have a totally separate idea that could be used in the info marketing space I'd like to discuss. Do you have time for a call at some point? Even a 30 min call would really help me.

Appreciate your help and advice so far both of you guys.

David

Yep, just send a message so we can exchange contact info and let's talk :)

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
@Fox Hi, I learned to code over the last few months, I am not the best but I am getting there, I...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
I read it yesterday, looks like a nice introduction for reading TFM or Unscripted. ; ) Also...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom