The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Got accepted into College

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
Today I received my acceptance letter for college. I received an almost complete tuition for going to college. While for some college is a waste, for me it's the first step in becoming a doctor. Many doctors make good money but are strung out with many hours. I plan on taking it fastlane by creating solutions in the medical field. As MJ said, an education that while enhance your fastlane is well worth it. Thanks for reading!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
at first I read it as "Got accepted into Challenge", then I read it again and got disappointed :p

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
at first I read it as "Got accepted into Challenge", then I read it again and got disappointed :p
Haha, no worries! In the meantime I will be creating my company as well. Coming from an immigrant family, it my parent's dream that I become a doctor and I have ideas in how to become fastlane as a doctor

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Coming from an immigrant family, it my parent's dream that I become a doctor and I have ideas in how to become fastlane as a doctor
Oh no, the only way you could go fastlane as a doctor is by healing people on autopilot :p

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
Oh no, the only way you could go fastlane as a doctor is by healing people on autopilot :p

I recommend you read about Patrick Soon-Shiong. He's created revolutionary technologies that have benefited medicine. Just look at the $300 billion pharmaceutical industry.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Congratulations man

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
My mom worked at a medical company founded by a former doctor. He identified a need in the medical community. The device he created his company around has been used on me four times in my life. When his company sold, I believe he instantly became worth around $300 million. How much are you worth?

;)

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Nice man! The only potentially fastlane plan for going the doctor route (that I can think of right away) is building your personal brand... basically make yourself a guru via your blog, podcast, etc. Build your audience and sell relevant products to them that YOU create, and recommend some affiliate products too. Maybe do a membership section for your website and some courses too. There are "foodies" that do something similar to that, without any formal certification though. They just build the audience and business.

This is the guy that first came to mind for "doctor + business" http://www.mercola.com/

After a break from college, I sent an application to my local community college yesterday. I will be taking classes online and only a few of them each semester for the whole of 2014 but I do want to transfer eventually. I have a very nice discount on tuition as well :)

PS: College is a topic that has been talked about a lot over here I'm sure. I've searched online over the last 2-3 years for the opinions of successful entrepreneurs towards college. My conclusion...I will go to college AND build my business(es). If things go bad, I will keep working until I get it right.

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
Nice man! The only potentially fastlane plan for going the doctor route (that I can think of right away) is building your personal brand... basically make yourself a guru via your blog, podcast, etc. Build your audience and sell relevant products to them that YOU create, and recommend some affiliate products too. Maybe do a membership section for your website and some courses too. There are "foodies" that do something similar to that, without any formal certification though. They just build the audience and business.

This is the guy that first came to mind for "doctor + business" http://www.mercola.com/

After a break from college, I sent an application to my local community college yesterday. I will be taking classes online and only a few of them each semester for the whole of 2014 but I do want to transfer eventually. I have a very nice discount on tuition as well :)

PS: College is a topic that has been talked about a lot over here I'm sure. I've searched online over the last 2-3 years for the opinions of successful entrepreneurs towards college. My conclusion...I will go to college AND build my business(es). If things go bad, I will keep working until I get it right.

I completely agree with you man. Good luck in school! College is not bad if it leads to the fastlane, real education begins after college. I have had the opportunity by my parents to run my own business since I was 14. Helped me learn the basic ins and outs.

Dr.Phil is another great example in creating a brand. My sister who is a health consultant was telling me about the millions of dollars of equipment hospitals spend money on. There's always a potential to innovate!

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
My mom worked at a medical company founded by a former doctor. He identified a need in the medical community. The device he created his company around has been used on me four times in my life. When his company sold, I believe he instantly became worth around $300 million. How much are you worth?

;)

Another great example, really appreciate the input. Its stories like these that inspire me! +1

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I completely agree with you man. Good luck in school! College is not bad if it leads to the fastlane, real education begins after college. I have had the opportunity by my parents to run my own business since I was 14. Helped me learn the basic ins and outs.
Dr.Phil is another great example in creating a brand. My sister who is a health consultant was telling me about the millions of dollars of equipment hospitals spend money on. There's always a potential to innovate!

Thank you and you too! :) I just checked and my hold has been cleared (I was on hold because of my break) so now I have to choose classes.

No, it's not bad at all if you don't have to go in debt to attend. It's a place where people young like us can plan our life/career paths (even entrepreneurship), socialize (potentially with future or current entrepreneurs or people who can work for you later on), have fun, learn, etc. Near the end of MJ's book I believe he said he didn't have any regrets about going to college.

Wow! Since you have sufficient business knowledge already and plan to use what you learn towards your own later on, I'd go if I were you too (plus if you enjoy learning about medicine/health/wellness).

Yeah man I assume most hospitals have big budgets...there is great potential for providing them with a valuable product or service that will give you a nice amount of money haha.

I just thought of another product that was created by a school teacher for health: Airborne. Have you heard of it? I remember when it was hitting the shelves and my dad using it frequently. It's made her a multimillionaire no doubt. Something similar to that is Berocca, it's done well too. Of course there is much more to the health industry than dissolvable tablets haha.

PS: This video really helped me with my choice.

Here's a video with Jeff Bezos of Amazon talking about his decision and the "regret minimization framework". Kind of relevant and it was mentioned in the other video.

MJ talked about topics similar to this in his book too.

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
Thank you and you too! :) I just checked and my hold has been cleared (I was on hold because of my break) so now I have to choose classes.

No, it's not bad at all if you don't have to go in debt to attend. It's a place where people young like us can plan our life/career paths (even entrepreneurship), socialize (potentially with future or current entrepreneurs or people who can work for you later on), have fun, learn, etc. Near the end of MJ's book I believe he said he didn't have any regrets about going to college.

Wow! Since you have sufficient business knowledge already and plan to use what you learn towards your own later on, I'd go if I were you too (plus if you enjoy learning about medicine/health/wellness).

Yeah man I assume most hospitals have big budgets...there is great potential for providing them with a valuable product or service that will give you a nice amount of money haha.

I just thought of another product that was created by a school teacher for health: Airborne. Have you heard of it? I remember when it was hitting the shelves and my dad using it frequently. It's made her a multimillionaire no doubt. Something similar to that is Berocca, it's done well too. Of course there is much more to the health industry than dissolvable tablets haha.

PS: This video really helped me with my choice.

Here's a video with Jeff Bezos of Amazon talking about his decision and the "regret minimization framework". Kind of relevant and it was mentioned in the other video.

MJ talked about topics similar to this in his book too.

Outstanding post man! College is needed because of the degree. With all the kids in my class are bragging about how they got into Harvard and Yale and will get a decent job. I got my whole schooling almost paid and I have no regrets! Plus, MJ in his book talked about switching from consumer to producer and in a emergency room there are many things you can improve. In basic Economics, the demand for Insulin is inelastic for a diabetes patient since they have to buy in order to live. Also the medicine is overall improving and there is a lot of opportunities. The next few years I plan on working on another start-up that will make me enough money to pay for all my medical school expenses as well.

I will check out these videos now, thanks!

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
Coming from an immigrant family, it my parent's dream that I become a doctor
Congrats on getting the scholarship, I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything but this is an awful reason to go into a certain field. Good luck, I hope you're able to achieve what you want.

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
Congrats on getting the scholarship, I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything but this is an awful reason to go into a certain field. Good luck, I hope you're able to achieve what you want.
Success is not measured by money, but how many people you bless. For me is it enough knowing that I have saved or bettered someone's life.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
Success is not measured by money, but how many people you bless. For me is it enough knowing that I have saved or bettered someone's life.
I never said what or how success was measured I just said that if you're going into the field just because your parents want you to it's a bad idea. Obviously we all like helping people otherwise we wouldn't be entrepreneurs, there are many ways to help people that don't require you to get a medical degree. You say you want to be an entrepreneur but you're going into the medical field because your parents want you to, your solution is to combine the two but please keep in mind MJ sold his limo business because he lost interest in it if you plan to stay in the medical field your whole life you better be damn sure you won't lose interest.

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
I never said what or how success was measured I just said that if you're going into the field just because your parents want you to it's a bad idea. Obviously we all like helping people otherwise we wouldn't be entrepreneurs, there are many ways to help people that don't require you to get a medical degree. You say you want to be an entrepreneur but you're going into the medical field because your parents want you to, your solution is to combine the two but please keep in mind MJ sold his limo business because he lost interest in it if you plan to stay in the medical field your whole life you better be damn sure you won't lose interest.

I understand your points and no way did I mean to offend you. I myself want to go into the medical field but later in life will exit by selling my company, but all of that is in the future.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
If you want to go into a medical or law direction, I can see the value of college. Otherwise, not so much.

So, if you want to become a doctor. Good for you that you got accepted, congrats!

I do see some conflicting stuff in your post. You want to become a doctor but you also want to become an entrepreneur in the medical space?
Please, before you go on this long journey of becoming a doctor, make absolute sure that it's what you want to achieve in your next decade.
10 years go by like *poof*. Regret is not a great feeling.

Commit for 200%, half a$$ attempts turn out shitty 100% of the time.

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
If you want to go into a medical or law direction, I can see the value of college. Otherwise, not so much.

So, if you want to become a doctor. Good for you that you got accepted, congrats!

I do see some conflicting stuff in your post. You want to become a doctor but you also want to become an entrepreneur in the medical space?
Please, before you go on this long journey of becoming a doctor, make absolute sure that it's what you want to achieve in your next decade.
10 years go by like *poof*. Regret is not a great feeling.

Commit for 200%, half a$$ attempts turn out shitty 100% of the time.

As a doctor I will be certified to perform medical procedures. While doing those procedures, I will find ways to innovate which I can then monetize.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
it my parent's dream that I become a doctor

Hmmm. Sounds like a lot of "I'm going to do it this way". Things rarely work out like you plan.

If you want to become a doctor, become a doctor. If you want to be a businessman be a businessman. Blowing 10 years of your life in school to go into the most screwed up industry in the world right now just doesn't seem like a good choice to me.

Your parents are doing you a disservice. I'm sure that scholarship would get you an MBA too.

Last edited:

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
Hmmm. Sounds like a lot of "I'm going to do it this way". Things rarely work out like you plan.

If you want to become a doctor, become a doctor. If you want to be a businessman be a businessman. Blowing 10 years of your life in school to go into the most screwed up industry in the world right now just doesn't seem like a good choice to me.

Business comes from demand its simple supply and demand. A person wont buy a coke if it was $2 a can but they will buy at $1 a can and Coke would be willing to supply. When your in pain and possibly dying, you will pay whatevere you have to survive. Also, a family friend is a docot

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
and he makes $5 million per year after taxes with his own clinics. You can be a doctor and be an entrepreneur. If you don't believe so , I will prove it.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
No one is saying that you can't be a doctor and an entrepreneur, we're not against your idea to go to school. We just want to help you, it seems like you want to be an entrepreneur which is great but you plan to go into the medical field because it's what your parents want. You can be an entrepreneur and in the medical field, and you can be very successful but make sure it is what you really want. Do you have a passion for medicine? Do you love science? Not do you love helping people, but do you love the medical field because with your current plan you're going to be spending years working in it.

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Congrats Man! A family friend of ours has an uncle who created a lot of things in the medical field. Things he saw a need for as he worked as a doctor/surgeon. One of his patents is on an artificial knee replacement. Needless to say, the guy bought all of the land in his sight and a portion of some river so that know one could ever change his scenic view. He is extremely wealthy, because he solved many pains in the marketplace.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You can be a doctor and an entrepreneur. What you can't be is a pushover and a successful entrepreneur. Letting other people make decisions for you is not an entrepreneurial trait.

Starting the long and expensive road of medical school at this particular moment is also not at all the risk adverse decision that you and your controlling parents probably think it is.

Man up and make your own choices based on what YOU want out of YOUR life or you will be 30 years old before you even start making money.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/parents-deciding-my-fate-need-to-get-out.49300/

Last edited by a moderator:

goodfella

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 4, 2013
theres nothing wrong with going to post secondary if its paid for

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
theres nothing wrong with going to post secondary if its paid for

Money is not the only cost. Time that you can not get back is much more valuable. Also there is opportunity cost. While you are reading books and cramming for exams like you have since 1st grade you could have been out, making money for years.

So yes there are some things wrong with it even if it's "paid for".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.