The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google Chrome bookmarks experiences

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

theforamyst

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 22, 2018
Europe
Does anyone use Google Chrome bookmarks as their bookmarking tool? What do you like about it and what don't you like about it?
Is it reliable? Does it do sync well?

I'm thinking about using it instead of Linkman Pro which is a special bookmarking software for Windows but although it has a ton of bookmark features I find it pretty difficult to use and I have some pop-ups appearing frequently with error messages. And I contacted their support about these 2 issues but I haven't got any reply.
In the past I used Xmarks extention in both Chrome and Firefox and I was quity happy with that but then Xmarks announced they will stop. So then I kind of switched to Linkman but while it's OK I have some troubles with it so I'm looking for an alternative.
This is probably not the right forum but I couldn't find a Tech or Computer forum. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

awestbro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 13, 2018
West Virginia
Aha! More market validation!

Right now I'm using google bookmarks, but I'm actually building an online tool/ network to replace google bookmarks for my day to day needs. I'm about a month or two from launch to friends/ family so I can PM you if you are interested in joining early.

I've heard good things about Pinboard and Raindrop.

What features are important to you in a bookmark manager?

theforamyst

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 22, 2018
Europe
Yes, I would like to join so I can check out what you've got there :)
Will it have a Chrome and FF extension so you can sync your bookmarks between these 2?
It seems there are many different formats bookmarks are stored in. Which one will you use?

Yes, I also heard good things about Raindrop but I had bought Linkman Pro (about $75 for a 3 Computers license with lifetime updates) by then already so I wanted to try that first.

Features that are important to me are:
- a search field to search through my bookmarks that updates results live (like Linkman. But bc LM is software that you need to install locally I always have to leave my browser window and go to the LM window to use it which is kind of annoying)
- find and delete duplicates
- drag and drop bookmarks and folders in a treeview to easily organize them

Good luck!

awestbro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 13, 2018
West Virginia
Awesome I'll post back here when I've launched.

Will it have a Chrome and FF extension so you can sync your bookmarks between these 2?

Yes it has a bookmark extension that works for both Chrome and Firefox.

It seems there are many different formats bookmarks are stored in. Which one will you use?

I'm storing them in a tree structure like normal bookmarks are now. Not flattened out like a lot of bookmark managers. I like folder organization and want to keep it that way so new customers are used to the experience. You import your bookmarks into a "collection" which is a group of bookmarks. These are private and function just like your bookmarks today. At any point you can choose a sub-folder to export to a "public collection" (or just create a new collection) where you can share that folder with anyone and it becomes publicly available to anyone using the site. So its bookmarks today, but you can also search the app for people who like the same things you do (that have similar links publicly available). So hybrid bookmark manager tool/ social network.

For the important features I will have search built in.
Find and delete duplicates I think I'll tackle post small launch. I do want to build more advanced features into the bookmark manager side, but I may make them value skews for a premium plan.
Drag and drop in HTML/ javascript is the bane of my existence haha. I do want to build it in but that may come a bit later. Right now I have an experience where you can select items and move them into a folder/ position. Works pretty well but I would like the familiarity of drag and drop.

Thanks for the feature list! Helps out a ton! I'll make sure to post back here in ~a month or two. Also feel free to DM me an email. I should really start building an email list as currently all the people are in my head... :p

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Wow. I forgot i was using google bookmarks - my last bookmark is from 2007.

Wait... are you talking about Google Bookmarks ?

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
I strongly urge you to go into Bookmark Manager and export a copy of our bookmarks regularly. I have had my Chrome Bookmarks revert back to an older version including once it went back a year. I try to go in and export a copy every week or so because I bookmark a lot of stuff.

I like Toby, Pocket, and Evernote for saving really important links. Toby is the easiest to use and you can setup a new Tab Page to show all your Bookmarks organized into sections.

theforamyst

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 22, 2018
Europe
Wow. I forgot i was using google bookmarks - my last bookmark is from 2007.

Wait... are you talking about Google Bookmarks ?

I checked that link but it's empty for me so I think Google Chrome's bookmarks are something different than those Google bookmarks.

I strongly urge you to go into Bookmark Manager and export a copy of our bookmarks regularly. I have had my Chrome Bookmarks revert back to an older version including once it went back a year. I try to go in and export a copy every week or so because I bookmark a lot of stuff.

I like Toby, Pocket, and Evernote for saving really important links. Toby is the easiest to use and you can setup a new Tab Page to show all your Bookmarks organized into sections.

Yes, I do have some backups already, thanks.
In the past I found that I had a lot of double folders and bookmarks in Chrome's bookmarks. Perhaps a syncing bug in Chrome. But I don't know if that's still the case or if they've fixed it already.

theforamyst

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 22, 2018
Europe
Does anyone know the folder location on Windows 10 where Google Chrome stores its bookmarks file? I researched this online and Google says it's on this next location but I can't find such location on my PC.
are located in ...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
(full extensions might look like C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
OR
C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default)

Why do they use different folder names than on Windows 10?
I can only see a Documents folder on my C drive but it's empty.

And what is the difference between the 'Bookmarks menu' folder and the 'Bookmarks toolbar' folder in Google Chrome bookmarks? Are they both not just different folders in your Google Chrome's bookmarks' file? Why would they have 2 of these folders?

C83SG95

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 7, 2019
Google bookmarks works perfectly 10/10 imo it's what made me a Chrome user after years of Mozilla. Instant sync between my mobile and laptop/desktops.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Does anyone know the folder location on Windows 10 where Google Chrome stores its bookmarks file? I researched this online and Google says it's on this next location but I can't find such location on my PC.
are located in ...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
(full extensions might look like C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
OR
C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default)

Why do they use different folder names than on Windows 10?
I can only see a Documents folder on my C drive but it's empty.

And what is the difference between the 'Bookmarks menu' folder and the 'Bookmarks toolbar' folder in Google Chrome bookmarks? Are they both not just different folders in your Google Chrome's bookmarks' file? Why would they have 2 of these folders?

I'm on win 10. Be sure to change the <USER NAME> to your windows user name.
Like if you are John open:

C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks

'Bookmarks' is a json file without extension but you can open it with Notepad.

I'm not sure what happens when you have more then one Chrome Profile, i use only Default but if you have separate profile then you could try to find it in

C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\

That's all i can help.

theforamyst

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 22, 2018
Europe
Thanks, it is a hidden folder by default so I went to Control panel and File explorer options and checked "show hidden files, folders and drives". I can see those folders now but I can't see a Bookmarks file anywhere. I checked the contents of all those folders I found there but no Bookmarks file to see.

I just want to know what happens when Chrome imports and exports bookmarks files. Will it store all imported bookmarks in the same database file and so you might end up with having some/several bookmarks double? How does this work?

Can you create a new bookmarks/database file and select it somewhere so it will be used by Chrome?
And can you select which bookmarks/database file Chrome should use to avoid double/duplicate bookmarks or can you only use the only one that it has?

awestbro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 13, 2018
West Virginia
@theforamyst It was a bit more than a month, but I finally got my MVP finished. Still building out more bookmark manager features (especially on the extension side), but I at least have enough to get feedback now. Let me know what you think!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.