The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gonna build my website first, and figure out if it works after

Share your FTE moment...

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
I know this goes against validating my idea first, but I feel like I need the platform built now- then I can try to figure out how to market it.

There IS a need, but my idea is more of a "blue ocean" one.

The cost to build the site is only $800, so my risk is minimal.

Does anyone have any experience trying out an idea this way? Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

summit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jun 20, 2014
I went to school for building websites and such.

If 800$ is nothing to you, and having someone make it for you is stress free and not time consuming, then go for it.

otherwise, I would do a few things first.

check out competitors on the market for your product. how well are they doing? does this seem like a profitable thing to do?

talk to some people in the market you are aiming at.. potential users/customers. let them carve out what they want.

this way, you don't waste time making something people don't want.

rather than building something with lots of bells and whistles, make the MVP first (the most basic functionality) and let your users decide what features to add next via reviews, feedback, and stats.

what's your site?

Disclaimer: everything I say is hypothetical and does not necessarily mean I partake in or perform any actions I claim or mention.

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
Nice of you to comment summit, and welcome to the forum.

No one is currently doing it, so I don't have much to go by. I don't have the site yet- if that is what you are asking.

My idea brings two different kinds of businesses together- for mutual benefit.

summit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jun 20, 2014
how do you aim to go about creating the site? can you do it yourself, or do you know how to hire people?

Disclaimer: everything I say is hypothetical and does not necessarily mean I partake in or perform any actions I claim or mention.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
My headspace around business ventures is changing.
I used to want to work smart.
Now I want to work fast.

Speed is everything.
Whether you validate the need first or build the website first is almost secondary to speed of execution.
Forward momentum is everything.

If building the website is faster than validating the need, I say go for it.
There are a million ways to pivot, reskin the website, and keep moving forward if the one idea in particular doesn't work.

The most important thing is, IF/WHEN the idea doesn't work out, don't give up.
Keep moving forward, keep gaining momentum. Shift focus and kill it in another area.
You only need one big win

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
how do you aim to go about creating the site? can you do it yourself, or do you know how to hire people?

I have a programmer doing it for me-

royalflush

warp 9
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jun 20, 2014
Are you creating an e-commerce website? $800 is a bit too much. If you're just testing the idea, you could start with an FB page + FB Ad. That's how I helped one of my clients test her ideas on the health supplement industry.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
What the hell are you spending $800 on? And why aren't you getting a customer first?

It's not a minimal risk, because you're spending TIME not getting a customer.

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
Are you creating an e-commerce website? $800 is a bit too much. If you're just testing the idea, you could start with an FB page + FB Ad. That's how I helped one of my clients test her ideas on the health supplement industry.
It's not ecommerce...more of a "matching up" of 2 parties.

I like your idea- would you be willing to set something up similar for me? Please pm me if so to talk details- thanks!

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
What the hell are you spending $800 on? And why aren't you getting a customer first?

It's not a minimal risk, because you're spending TIME not getting a customer.
Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

The $800 is to build the site, but I've slowly been trying to also validate my idea with both parties.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
$800 on a site? no.

1.) Throw up a landing page.
http://landerapp.com/
http://www.instapage.com/
http://www.leadpages.net/products/

2.) Collect emails.

3.) Manually do whatever your idea is. Get on the phone with the email contacts in #2.

4.) Validate it and then spend the $800+.

Do this. It can save you $800. If you do validate it, that extra money you save could go into paid marketing or a better website.

Also, don't ask your friends or family for validation of this product. If they know you had anything to do with the project, they'll be a bit nicer and may give you a fake 'yes' answer because of it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If you want to validate if there are people searching, then throw up a simple landing page, bid low on AdWords/Bing, and count impressions.
Heck, you don't even need to create a landing page. Send the traffic to ask.com or the yellow pages.

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
$800 on a site? no.

2.) Collect emails.

3.) Manually do whatever your idea is. Get on the phone with the email contacts in #2.

Thanks Milkanic much appreciated.

I'm going to look into this for sure.

I have also been reaching out to my target audience, and have already had some positive feedback. I'm going to continue to reach out, and tweak my model based on that feedback.

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
Do this. It can save you $800. If you do validate it, that extra money you save could go into paid marketing or a better website.

Also, don't ask your friends or family for validation of this product. If they know you had anything to do with the project, they'll be a bit nicer and may give you a fake 'yes' answer because of it.
Good points thanks-

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
If you want to validate if there are people searching, then throw up a simple landing page, bid low on AdWords/Bing, and count impressions.
Heck, you don't even need to create a landing page. Send the traffic to ask.com or the yellow pages.
Thanks Andy!

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
$800 on a site? no.

2.) Collect emails.

So if my idea is a unique way for realtors/mortgage brokers/financial advisors to market their business, how would I go about setting up my landing page?

Apologies for my ignorance...I've got lots of ideas, but no practical experience- thanks again.

Last edited:

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Set up a basic page informing the basic essentials of your business and what you can do for them.
Get them to add their details and match one with the other.
Dont go spending crazy prices until you have made your first 2 or 3 sales.
Make sure the business/idea works first. That $800 will still look better in your bank if it doesn't succeed rather than have some web designer spend it for you.

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
Set up a basic page informing the basic essentials of your business and what you can do for them.
Get them to add their details and match one with the other.
Dont go spending crazy prices until you have made your first 2 or 3 sales.
Make sure the business/idea works first. That $800 will still look better in your bank if it doesn't succeed rather than have some web designer spend it for you.
Thanks D!

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks D!
Also dont be scared of picking up the phone and calling all local realtors/mortgage brokers/financial advisors to let them know what you can do for them. Even your first couple dont over charge them as these will iron out the fundamentals of your business plus they could possibly give you a glowing reference or pass the word on among associate's.
Best of luck

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
Also dont be scared of picking up the phone and calling all local realtors/mortgage brokers/financial advisors to let them know what you can do for them. Even your first couple dont over charge them as these will iron out the fundamentals of your business plus they could possibly give you a glowing reference or pass the word on among associate's.
Best of luck
I've already engaged a couple of realtors on a forum and email...getting some good feedback. My goal is to determine at what price they would be willing to try my service...go from there to offer it for that amount if doable.

And this is just one part of my model. I will also need to line up the venues, although the realtors and advisors are the ones who will pay for the service.

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
Hey guys- I need some more advice from you on this.

To expand further on my idea, ANY business that is looking for a unique way to market themselves to their local community is a potential user for my service.

What do you think is the best way to reach out to businesses of all types? I have had some feedback from realtors, and now I am reaching out to mortgage brokers and pool cleaning companies.

Thanks again for any input, and by the way- I'm looking for a partner...please pm me if interested in learning more!

royalflush

warp 9
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jun 20, 2014
Hey guys- I need some more advice from you on this.

To expand further on my idea, ANY business that is looking for a unique way to market themselves to their local community is a potential user for my service.

What do you think is the best way to reach out to businesses of all types? I have had some feedback from realtors, and now I am reaching out to mortgage brokers and pool cleaning companies.

Thanks again for any input, and by the way- I'm looking for a partner...please pm me if interested in learning more!

Do you know how to make a squeeze page or how to use an autoresponder? That seems to be the answer.

You have to collect their emails, and then give them a white paper or a video pitch.

Then, you have to followup until they buy.

If they don't buy after 7 follow up emails, you either ask them why they didn't buy by calling them (to get feedback) OR you sell them something else.

You don't need a partner, you can do this by yourself.

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
Do you know how to make a squeeze page or how to use an autoresponder? That seems to be the answer.

You have to collect their emails, and then give them a white paper or a video pitch.

Then, you have to followup until they buy.

If they don't buy after 7 follow up emails, you either ask them why they didn't buy by calling them (to get feedback) OR you sell them something else.

You don't need a partner, you can do this by yourself.

Thanks again royal.

I need/want a partner who doesn't have the current slowlane restriction that I have- meaning that I need someone who can be the "front person" for the business and all of our marketing efforts.

royalflush

warp 9
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jun 20, 2014
Thanks again royal.

I need/want a partner who doesn't have the current slowlane restriction that I have- meaning that I need someone who can be the "front person" for the business and all of our marketing efforts.

Hire someone to cold call. You can pay them $10 an hour.

I'll PM you my super SECRET resource.

Last edited:

tekcraze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 21, 2011
Canada
I would recommend staying very niched down to one target customer first and get that going before expanding into other markets.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
I would recommend staying very niched down to one target customer first and get that going before expanding into other markets.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Makes sense tek...thanks for your input.

I need to determine which business category niche is a good fit for this service. I don't want to focus on realtors, only to find out that they aren't a good fit. But I guess I need to go thru the validation process in several niches, to "stumble" on one that seems the most promising.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
I was the same a few months ago. Instead of actually putting myself on the line and validate first, I took the "secure" way and hire programmer to do the job and eventually I just lost money in the end.

You should check out appsumo. They have several videos and also a course about this.
The basic idea is that you should validate and get 1-3 paying customers before you spend alot of money on the product.

I know it can be hard with some websites or apps. You say 800 isnt much for you, but that money could instead be spending on marketing and get customers first.

Simply ask both parties what your idea is: I will set you up with x, and it only cost xdollar. Interested?
Do it manually first and then when you see that people buy your service or that you can't handle the demand anymore, you make a website.

Edit: Im actually doing the validation before buying myself. I have hired a guy to do a simple 3d work on my prototype for 5 dollar. Then I will use that picture to presell my product and when I get buying customers, order it. Win!

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
I was the same a few months ago. Instead of actually putting myself on the line and validate first, I took the "secure" way and hire programmer to do the job and eventually I just lost money in the end.

You should check out appsumo. They have several videos and also a course about this.
The basic idea is that you should validate and get 1-3 paying customers before you spend alot of money on the product.

I know it can be hard with some websites or apps. You say 800 isnt much for you, but that money could instead be spending on marketing and get customers first.

Simply ask both parties what your idea is: I will set you up with x, and it only cost xdollar. Interested?
Do it manually first and then when you see that people buy your service or that you can't handle the demand anymore, you make a website.

Edit: Im actually doing the validation before buying myself. I have hired a guy to do a simple 3d work on my prototype for 5 dollar. Then I will use that picture to presell my product and when I get buying customers, order it. Win!
Makes sense thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.