The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going towards the Fastlane but sometimes feel ashamed. Why?

shane8399

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 29, 2011
Minneapolis
good replies so far, said most of what i wanted to say in some shape or form.

Spidey, what it comes down to is the entrepreniural/business owner title has been tarnished by every tom dick and harry running a hobby side business only grossing 10k a year, or an unsuccessful business attempt by a slow laner thinking they can do it better then their boss, when they only really possess the skill to do the service that the business revolves around, not run the business. With some it still holds repoire though. Most have preconceived notions of what being a business owner is, and that is, listening to other business owners who dont know what their are doing and struggling at it. Remember misery loves company. That bank manager hates his job, hence his pitiful small talk attempt with you.

You work 20 hours a week. You make $80,000 a year, with instantaneous potential to make more. Most people dream about this all day long. You really want to impress people tell them that. I am a contract freelance writer. Oh yeah so what do you do? I write for magazines 20 hours a week, and make more than average for people of my age. WOW. really?!

Not all Fast laners need Ferarris or Lambos (as sweet as they are). I would rather have a Cessna hidden away in my hanger i fly up to my lake cabin that noone besides my immediate family knows about. Or i would rather have 100 properties that noone knows about. Being flashy can be fun for the immediate attention, but causes severe envy with a lot of people, which is fueled by their own inadequacies.

Bottom line is this. Remind yourself of this. What other people think, doesnt matter. What makes you happy is what matters. You live a very blessed work and financial life, many people would kill to work 20 and make 80. They spend their whole lives dreaming it.

The only thing i think you need to work on here, is to figure out how to make $80 or more, and work less than 20hrs while doing it.

PS. dont go buy a porsche or any other large debt. keep doing what your doing and buy it straight cash. thats the REAL way to do it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
You can use my line if you'd like but its not for everyone. :)

"YEAH

I WORK IN SANITATION TOUGH GUY"

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Having difficulty managing one's ego makes individuals do strange things.

spidey983

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne Australia
I don't understand, why wouldn't you be proud to say that you work less? Tired of mentioning it so many times already?

I would be proud to say that I work less. And yes, I am tired of mentioning it over and over.

To me, the point is not about how much money I made or how many hours per week I work.

It is about the respect that everybody should get regardless of what lane they choose to go down. If I have to go to such great lengths to show off my achivements or explain myself just to get some respect, that respect becomes meaningless to me.

Maybe this is just human nature.

I am sorry that this thread becomes so philosophical.

The only thing i think you need to work on here, is to figure out how to make $80 or more, and work less than 20hrs while doing it.

This is what I should do instead of whining about stuff I have no control over (ie what others think). Sorry and thanks for all the supportive replies.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey Spidey,

I was unemployed once and I actually enjoyed meeting people and telling them that I did not work. You know why?

Because when you say that, people cannot judge you. They are puzzled. You don't need to tell people anything. You keep doing what you are doing and they will notice...

Hey Spidey is at the gym everyday at 3pm... Well he's unemployed so he has plenty of time.
Why didn't Spidey come out with us tonight? He's probably got no money, he doesn't have a job.
Hey I heard he just got back from 2 weeks in Europe... How does he do that with no money?
Spidey went on a cruise last week. WTF? Maybe his business is doing well?
Spidey just got a nice condo in uptown... Maybe we should ask him to teach us how to make money?

They will come around.

You bank story is sort of funny because I use several banks with this one bank, I keep probably about $3k in my checking account only. I use it for monthly bills. I always go in at random weekday times like 10am, 1pm, 3pm in tshirt and shorts. I'm sure the bankers there didn't think much of me.

That's until I went in last month and I needed them to wire money out for my new Ferrari. I bet they were boggled since my account never has a paycheck deposited in there and never gets above $5k. Now they know me by name and ask me where my car is everytime I go in.

spidey983

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Hey Spidey,

I was unemployed once and I actually enjoyed meeting people and telling them that I did not work. You know why?

Because when you say that, people cannot judge you. They are puzzled. You don't need to tell people anything. You keep doing what you are doing and they will notice...

Hey Spidey is at the gym everyday at 3pm... Well he's unemployed so he has plenty of time.
Why didn't Spidey come out with us tonight? He's probably got no money, he doesn't have a job.
Hey I heard he just got back from 2 weeks in Europe... How does he do that with no money?
Spidey went on a cruise last week. WTF? Maybe his business is doing well?
Spidey just got a nice condo in uptown... Maybe we should ask him to teach us how to make money?

They will come around.

You bank story is sort of funny because I use several banks with this one bank, I keep probably about $3k in my checking account only. I use it for monthly bills. I always go in at random weekday times like 10am, 1pm, 3pm in tshirt and shorts. I'm sure the bankers there didn't think much of me.

That's until I went in last month and I needed them to wire money out for my new Ferrari. I bet they were boggled since my account never has a paycheck deposited in there and never gets above $5k. Now they know me by name and ask me where my car is everytime I go in.

Hey biophase,
That's the best and coolest advice. Thanks.

shane8399

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 29, 2011
Minneapolis
I would be proud to say that I work less. And yes, I am tired of mentioning it over and over.

To me, the point is not about how much money I made or how many hours per week I work.

It is about the respect that everybody should get regardless of what lane they choose to go down. If I have to go to such great lengths to show off my achivements or explain myself just to get some respect, that respect becomes meaningless to me.

Maybe this is just human nature.

I am sorry that this thread becomes so philosophical.

want to get real philosophical? there is only one real judge of character and acheivement in this world ;)

I am not a psychologist, but I have been learning quite a bit lately about this type of stuff. This yearning for respect, i would say yes its human nature but doesnt happen with all people... it may stem from a core belief that was established when you were younger, when a specific event occured, and was reaffirmed through out life in other events. Now it is just a core feeling that you may not understand, that basically influences how you react to and interpret certain things sub-consciously. I am not saying this applies to you but it could for instance, stem from not getting enough praise as a child, or from having siblings that were praised more, or that acheived more etc. Like I said, I am not a professional on this, just offering some insight.

Here is quick example that might help... you mention how it becomes meaningless to you if you have to prove,defend or point out your success.

Why is this? Because someone didnt notice it? Why do you need someone to notice it and accept/praise it? How does it make you feel when someone does this, and when they dont do that? Now why do you think it makes you feel that way? See what I am trying to say? Someone who completely doesnt give a shit about someone else noticing their acheivements, I guarentee has different core beliefs and jas had very different events happen in their life to mold those beliefs.

One can be told to just not give a shit about what people think, but that deep down feeling that we sometimes dont know how to change, and need help to change, can be in control of you. To get yourself to the point of not caring, you need to dig into what makes you have that feeling, being aware of why you feel a certain way is a huge step to overcoming it.

Again I will state I am not a professional and just re-gurgitating what I have been encountering and reading, but I hope it helps a little.

/end phsychological babble - morphing back out - like Will Ferrell on Old School during the economics debate. LOL.

spidey983

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne Australia
it may stem from a core belief that was established when you were younger, when a specific event occured, and was reaffirmed through out life in other events. Now it is just a core feeling that you may not understand, that basically influences how you react to and interpret certain things sub-consciously. I am not saying this applies to you but it could for instance, stem from not getting enough praise as a child, or from having siblings that were praised more, or that acheived more

Shit, this some deeeep stuff. Truth is I was gangraped when I was kid.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas

Well, wait until you are turning $500,000 a month, all of a sudden the president comes out and asks you if there is anything that they can help with. You will be like where were you when I came in and asked for a 10k loan a few years ago..

To be young, now the president of my bank calls me and buys lunch. Even though I have never taken out a loan for any business in my life.

On a side note, always go with a small local bank, it can do wonders when you really need something.

shane8399

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 29, 2011
Minneapolis
Shit, this some deeeep stuff. Truth is I was gangraped when I was kid.

Yeah I may have went a little deep there. I am not sure if your above comment is sincere or sarcastic. Ill wait for clarification before precede with a reply to it.

spidey983

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Yeah I may have went a little deep there. I am not sure if your above comment is sincere or sarcastic. Ill wait for clarification before precede with a reply to it.

Hey Shane,

I meant no offence but I really was just being sarcastic. Whether I have or do not have personal issues is not important here, although I think everyone has some personal issues to a certain extent.

Of course I was not gangraped when I was a kid. I am sure no kid was ever gangraped in the past 1000 years.

Honestly, I don't really know how to discuss this issue any further. Everything is pretty much covered in the above posts.

If I were not at least half a Fastlaner who only has to work 20 hours a week, I doubt would have the time to entertain this.

First of all, the word philosophical has a totally different meaning from psychological. You spent a few hundred words analysing me psychologically in depth.

Second of all, ...

I am getting tired of this shit. Sorry pal.

Sasha

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Oct 7, 2011
Denver
Hey Shane,

I meant no offence but I really was just being sarcastic.

Really? Because a statement like that is not one most people read in a thread that has so far been serious and immediately think "Oh, he's just being sarcastic.... getting gang raped is totally something to joke about."

Whether I have or do not have personal issues is not important here, although I think everyone has some personal issues to a certain extent.....

How does Shane asking you to think about the things that shape your value system equal him saying you've got issues?

Of course I was not gang raped when I was a kid. I am sure no kid was ever gang raped in the past 1000 years.

That's interesting, because I can name at least three stories that made national news regarding a child being gang raped this year alone.

Honestly, I don't really know how to discuss this issue any further. Everything is pretty much covered in the above posts.

If I were not at least half a Fastlaner who only has to work 20 hours a week, I doubt would have the time to entertain this.

You certainly don't know how to discuss this any further and oh snap, what's that? Are you making a quip about being semi-fastlane and only working 20 hrs a week on this board, when you have problems with that aspect in real life? You might want to ponder why that is.

First of all, the word philosophical has a totally different meaning from psychological. You spent a few hundred words analysing me psychologically in depth.

First of all, his opening statement was philosophical... "there's only one real judge of character and achievement in this world". He then went on to elaborate in a psychological manner about what influences the criteria one uses to make said judgment. And secondly, he said it was just psychological babble and that he didn't know if it applied to you or not... all he tried to do is pose a few questions to get you to think. No where in his comment did he psychoanalyze you.

Second of all, ...

I am getting tired of this shit. Sorry pal.

What shit? No one here has attacked you. We've only shared our sympathies with you or tried to get you to think about why what you've stated bothers you so much so you can get to the point of not giving a damn.

*shrugs* All I know is, there's this thing called tact... you should try developing it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.