• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

NOTABLE! Going for it. Ecommerce.

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by JByers210, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Bramxq

Bramxq New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $62
    Have been silently following your progress, amazing! Also good you are safe =)

I have one question: You said you found a product then looked at the reviews. Did some improvements(fixed the bad review problem). How do you go about this? Do you improve the flaws yourself? Or do you find the manufacturer and tell them to fix it? Would like to know how you go on about that =)

Thanks in advance.

JByers210 likes this.
  2. inputchip

inputchip Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,037
    Glad you're not hurt. If you don't have your health you don't have anything. These accidents happen to the best of us. Sh*t happens. Just let it be your motivator to work even harder to pay it off. Looking forward to your future updates, keep up the good work.

JByers210 likes this.
  3. JByers210

JByers210 entrepreneur in the making Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    I've calmed down today about it. All that matters is life as you said. Thanks for following my progress man! It's always cool to see you come around when I post in this thread.
    Thanks man. I appreciate it. I hope to see a progress thread from you soon!

100% True. It stinks but it could have been worse. I'm letting it take me to another level of work and dedication! I appreciate it man, Thank you.

Parker P and Xeon like this.
  4. JByers210

JByers210 entrepreneur in the making Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    I have two products.

For my first, I just have it shipped here as is and add something to it in its packaging to add small value and make it better than other products like it.

For my second, I communicated with the supplier and had them make the changes I wanted to the product. They did it, added the cost of the changes to each unit (went from 10$/piece to 15$/piece), and then shipped it to me. If you haven't already, read the thread Biophase started about doing it the "Hard/Easy Way". He talks about adding value and doing the hard work first so it's easier down the road. I've already gotten amazing compliments on my new product and so far have gotten all 5 star reviews from unbiased customers..because of the changes that we made to it.

So I basically have done both so far when it comes to the improvements. My next product will be a lot harder and more expensive to start up...but that's what makes it harder for everyone else to sell. Hope that helps.

Xeon likes this.
  5. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    I've finished making my first handmade product and have gotten three people that asked to buy it from word of mouth. I don't know them personally. I made this for 15$ with a few hours of labor and the right tools... and one on those guys said he would buy it for 300$. We'll see if they actually buy it! I posted it on my instagram today with the finished photos and description on my website and got a good amount of visitors and 6 saves.

My second product I imported and improved is not selling much right now. I think it's due to the fact that my niche is somewhat seasonal...so I need to go into a niche that is closely related and sell products to that crowd to run this business year round. It's also because I didn't have a great launch with this product. I have around 1500$ in inventory with that product at Amazon and I'm not sure how I'm going to go about that if it won't sell anytime soon.

But the good news about that product is that I've got all 5 star reviews that rave about how great it is with the improvements!!

Since I've started, I've been nonstop thinking in terms of Biophases Hard/Easy way...and it's been hard to think in terms of adding just straight up private label products to my website without adding value...but I'm going to add around 5 PL products with only one that I really improve. If that goes well I'll add more and more. I just don't know how I'm going to get sales to all the different products, but I'll figure it out. I have one product I really want to go after that I've heard family and friends really complain about....but I'm not sure if it's smart to pursue that right now. I don't really know what I'm doing to be honest...I'm just learning as I go and taking action.

Lately I've been reading on branding and marketing and this and that....but the whole time I felt like I was action-faking. I don't know anything about marketing or basic branding and I still felt that way. I think I need to launch more products and then worry about that later because no profits are coming in at the moment.

Any advice or anything goes a long way!!! I love hearing from you guys on this forum.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  6. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    Sold my first handmade product for 85$ today!!!

I decided to stop pricing it at what I thought it was worth and lowered it from 145 to 85 (both include shipping price of 25$). I put up a second picture of it on my instagram with the offer and got a sale within 10 minutes. Obviously the market's thoughts on the price are different than mine haha. Time to make more!!!

7. A1988

A1988 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $273

Great job man. I love you're thread, it's been an inspiration for me. I'm still new at this and I'm currently in the product research phase. I'm not sure if I'm too late on the FBA thing, but I need to branch out and get my feet wet as I have no experience what so ever with ecommerce. Ive been stuck for about a month tryung to find a product that will bring value and build a brand around, am i going to slow? I believe this to be the most vital area of PL. What are your personal thoughts on starting? Do you think OA is better for a beginner or just to dive rigjt into PL? There's been alot of people saying it's too saturated, what are your thoughts?

I wish you the best bro on your future success! Thanks

JByers210 likes this.
  8. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    I still am a beginner and wonder about my niche and what I'm going to do next. Everything I needed to get started was on this forum and in MJ's two books. It took me about a month or two to finally just take action and run with a product. It's not selling much at the moment, but it got me into business and I've already learned a ton from it.

@Kak just started an amazing thread about what he would do if he were just starting out instead of jumping into PL and Amazon and craigslist flipping. Check it out!

9. A1988

A1988 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $273

@JByers210 Thanks for your feedback brother. I did read the beginning of @Kak thread the other day, and I couldn't agree more with what he said. However, I'm still new at this business/entrepreneurship venture, although I don't doubt anything he is saying I guess it's my lack of experience that's intimidating me.
    Again, all the best man!

Xeon and JByers210 like this.
  10. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    It's been a crazy weekend. I've sold 8 of my handmade products for around 85-100$ each (depends on shipping costs). COG is 5$ and I make 50$ profit off each. I've done no paid advertising yet and people have been tagging each other on Facebook in the groups I've posted about them in.

Making it is the biggest barrier to entry. It takes two hours to make each at the moment with tools that aren't cheap to buy and take some training to use at first. Everybody that is looking on Amazon and Alibaba for quick cash or products to import or dropship would never find this product and would have a hard time making it if they did. For now it goes against the commandments of time and scale because it's just me making these and I'm not hiring anyone else to do it...but if it keeps going and really takes off I'll change that.

This product has big potential for B2B as well as B2C. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to cold call businesses daily and work on getting larger orders. I've already got one business that ordered two to start and test out. I'm pumped!!!! All I did was make a product that people told me they wanted. 25$ an hour on my own schedule beats 7$ an hour at a 9-5.

As far as Amazon goes, I'm still selling 1-2 units a day.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  11. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $171,801
    2 hours right now, but you will improve and get it down to 1 hour each.

Just keep making them and selling them.

If you get a large order what are you going to do to fill it?

MidwestLandlord, Xeon and JByers210 like this.
  12. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    Thanks for the response Bio!!

I've been figuring it all out as I go by just doing it and I've made a ton of mistakes..but one correctly done every hour isn't too far away. If I got a large order I'd get a couple friends that always want more work to help out. I'd be able to get so many done quicker if I had one or two more people helping out.

I also have looked into importing a part of the product to make it easier and faster to make. I'm going to figure out how much that would cost and if it would be worth it.

MidwestLandlord and Xeon like this.
  13. Jade.backer

Jade.backer New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $86
    congratulations! best of luck for the future.

JByers210 and Xeon like this.
  14. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    From my most recent post until now (about three weeks) I've gone past 1000$ in revenue with my new product! I've got three new businesses (one that is pretty big) that have all placed orders to try them out before they decide to drop ship or buy in bulk.

Most of my sales have come through Etsy and a decent amount through my website as well. The website only has the one product on the home page for now, but I have new variations and other products I'm going to launch soon to fill it with.

I've gotten a good amount of traffic from google shopping to my Etsy listing and have decided to drive traffic to my website with google ppc. I've pushed it off for a little while but now it's time to learn how to do it. I've also been learning about copy.

As far as my Amazon products go....I've been selling both at about break-even to recoup my money so I can focus on the new direction I'm going. I'll still sell them both during the time of year they do well, but there is no point in letting inventory sit for a long time with hardly any cash flow.

B_Mac, Parker P and Xeon like this.
  15. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,135
    Great to read that you're steadily going up! I was looking through the list of my subscribed threads yesterday and wondered if you threw in the towel after no updates these while. :happy:

JByers210 likes this.
  16. Andyc2288

Andyc2288 Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,121
    You sound like a kunty little kid, no one cares about your thread lol

JByers210 likes this.
  17. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    I'm in this for the long run! Thanks for following my progress this whole time man.

fKMARG and Xeon like this.
  18. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    He seemed pretty desperate to let me know that his thread was a must read

I didn't get past the first page.

Xeon likes this.
  19. Andyc2288

Andyc2288 Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,121
    Never got why people needed to be validated online, especially anonymously. Like people on reddit who care about upvotes lol

KingChuck211, Xeon and JByers210 like this.
  20. Ethan_Scott

Ethan_Scott New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $21
    Good luck brother!

21. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    My new product is still getting sales from Etsy and I'm in the process of closing a deal with a business that would dropship them from their website. It's a well known name in the niche I'm in so I think I'll get consistent sales from them. So far I've gotten all five star reviews and guys saying they would rate it more than a five so I believe I'm on to something.

My biggest hurdle at the moment is getting paid traffic to my shopify store. I'm reading books and watching as many videos as I can on digital marketing and have been taking a course on Udemy for facebook ads...but I feel like I'm not get anywhere. I ran some Facebook ads and got no results. I'm assuming that's to be expected at first. I keep thinking that I'll blow through all the money I have by running failed ads and it's holding me back.

I'm really confused at the moment and am doing everything I can to figure it out. The threads by @hughjasle are awesome and have been motivational for me. Both @JasonR and @amp0193 have posted in different threads saying that it's best to master one ad platform at a time so I'm leaning towards going all in with Facebook at first.

(I only have around 1500$ on hand....I would have more but I have money tied into seasonal Amazon inventory for the next half year and have realized how important cash flow is :clench:)

As always, I would love to hear any advice anyone may want to share. I'm here to share my progress and also learn from people that know much more than I do. Thanks for reading!

Xeon and hughjasle like this.
  22. RoadTrip

RoadTrip Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,281
    What have you done with Facebook ads? Have you tried multiple interests in seperate ad groups? Did you also try multiple creatives?

I would at least try 10 different interests at 5 dollars a day and let it run for a few days. That will cost you 150 max (shut down earlier is really bad metrics).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

23. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,135
    Not sure if you've read eliquid's paid ads thread where he also talks about FB ads: GOLD! - Paid Advertising Crash Course

I asked him some questions yesterday which I feel might be quite relevant to you as well. Page 7 of that thread, Post #163 (especially question no. 3,4,5 and 6). Check out his answers.

Good luck bud! :clap::

24. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    I ran a couple and spent 20$ in about a day and saw nothing was happening and killed it because I didn't want to blow through money before I made sure everything made sense and I understood what I was doing a little more. Maybe I'm just too paranoid but I'll figure this out and spend the money if I have to. I'll try that! Thanks man!

RoadTrip and Xeon like this.
  25. JByers210

Rep Bank:
    $3,342
    Very relevant to where I'm at. Thank you!!!! :fistbump:

KingChuck211 and Xeon like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.