The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Vee's Spewing Of Social Media Content

Marketing, social media, advertising

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
You may be thinking.. why am I bringing up Gary Vee? Why do I care?

Because Gary Vee's content talking about making ridiculous amounts of content is what started me in my content creation journey and also made it miserable at times..

But that's not what this thread is about.

I want to save you tons of time with this thread if you haven't started posting on social media yet, or maybe you're just starting, or maybe you're sucked into a Gary vee loophole that I recommend you stop yourself from right now.

As I get deeper into content creation, the more I realize what ACTUALLY needs to get done. What Gary Vee constantly drills home is "just take out your phone and post a video on YouTube. Post what you love. Talk about what you love" without really any context to it and because of it, I see lots of Gary Vee worshippers (I used to be one) that have literally posted 5,483+ times and still get 2 likes on each post they put out and haven't even broken the 1,000 follower mark.

This is not to say that Gary Vee is WRONG in every aspect, I think that what he makes people believe is that since HE (in 2009) posted a shitty video of him drinking wine on YouTube, they believe they can just emulate that in 2022 and post a bunch of shitty content with horrible quality and no editing, tons of pauses and boring moments that quite frankly no one gives a f*ck about. Gary Vee worshippers will flood their feed with selfies with motivational quotes as captions, they will post pictures on Instagram of what they're eating, COMPLETELY wasting time spending hours on these posts that help NO ONE.

For an example of what I'm talking about - when I used to take Gary Vee's advice as gospel, I made a YouTube video laying in my bed talking about my plans to move to Florida. Why would anyone want to watch this?? What value is this giving anyone?? Absolutely nothing. I still have the video and it's pretty cool to look back on for myself, but it's not something that will drive a YouTube channel forward or anything like that.

I promise you, I have NO ill intentions with this thread towards ANYONE. I'm passionate about it because I LIVED IT. Constant posting of valueless content, looking at likes constantly, hours and hours down the drain.

So, what's the point I'm trying to make here?

If you're going to post on the internet in 2022 with hopes of building an audience, it's NOT as simple as just taking out your phone and recording a shitty video.

It DOES require thinking. Editing IS Important. The topic you're talking about IS important. QUALITY IS IMPORTANT. On ANY Social Media Platform.

Before you post something and put your time into this, really think about if the content you're posting is just being posted to get another post out because you feel like you need to because Gary Vee said "4 TikToks a Day" I would call this, as MJ would call it in business, a social media ACTION FAKE. It's a bullshit task. Your time is more valuable than that.

Post with an intention of moving forward or growing a loyal fanbase. Stop taking these social media gurus as gospel.

Hope this helps someone

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SC87Dominik

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Feb 3, 2022
I think some important points to note are:

1. Stop being a narcissist--No one cares about your opinion on the tv show you just watched.

2. Don't take someone's ideal views as having to be 100% correct all the time--I like Gary Vee too but once you know how he would answer a question, you move on.

3. Content can easily be shitty unless you provide relative value.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Mr Beast has great advice on what it takes to win on Youtube:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I have a few freinds who post everything they're doing and do video vlogs about whatever comes to mind. Didn't know there was someone behind this lol. Always thought they were narcissistic or something.

Good points though, as I become more social media savvy I'll keep this in mind. I think Gary Vee is right in the sense that we should expand our social media presence to promote our personal brand or business, but spamming the internet with bs does the complete opposite.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I have a few freinds who post everything they're doing and do video vlogs about whatever comes to mind. Didn't know there was someone behind this lol. Always thought they were narcissistic or something.

Good points though, as I become more social media savvy I'll keep this in mind. I think Gary Vee is right in the sense that we should expand our social media presence to promote our personal brand or business, but spamming the internet with bs does the complete opposite.
He's definitely right about that

It's just that he's "The Guy" when it comes to that and he created that community of people that posts tons of bad content on the internet. So because he does it, his whole community sees it and thinks it's something they should be doing

originalMJT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 18, 2021
England
All Gary Vee does these days is keep banging on about his NFTs

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
People here always are saying you should be beware of old advice. What worked for him 15 years ago definitely won’t work today without adjustments.

None of his videos are “ just pick up your phone and film something” even though he does video selfies.

It’s part of who he is and also:

He has a media company. The guy has a team filming, editing and posting for him. Try doing that yourself at that pace and you’ll burn out sooner or later.

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
Not sure that applies to anyone here.
I mean what the OP ended with is a strong one liner. I'm sure it doesn't apply to you personally, but perhaps someone else may resonate with it. That's the people the people he posted for. We might not be the intended audience of this post! toodles

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I mean what the OP ended with is a strong one liner. I'm sure it doesn't apply to you personally, but perhaps someone else may resonate with it. That's the people the people he posted for. We might not be the intended audience of this post! toodles
Yea I was kind of just speaking to my past self to be honest. If I was someone who got sucked into it i assume others are currently in that situation too

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.