The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
Again this is a bit of a divergence from Gary's plan but where he says after taking notes to write up the notes on paper cards, for people who want to keep things digital there's software call Anki that lets you make flash cards. There are different boxes available for the cards which you can use for say..headlines, copy notes, hooks etc. The best thing as far as I know is that all this is compatible with Android

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Oct 17, 2012
Hi! I have been reading through the book collection for a few weeks now. Finally I decided to come out of the closet and join the thread. Thumbs up to all you guys making a fantastic progress.
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Gary Halbert Letter
  • The Boron Letters
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches
  • Break-Through Advertising
  • 7-Steps To Freedom

manta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 13, 2014
The Challenge

Today I start here:
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Boron Letters
  • 7-Steps To Freedom
If it would be possible to be sent a pm re. dropbox resources as well, it would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

fuller

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 28, 2014
Los Angeles
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Boron Letters
  • 7-Steps To Freedom
Finished Scientific Advertising right now. On to the Robert Collier Letter Book.

Albert Liao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 22, 2014
So for those who have completed the challenge, or at least up to the point of reviewing flashcards/index cards...what are you doing exactly to actually START writing?

I'm itching to write copy, but I don't want to just pick out a random object in my room and begin writing about it...would love to hear some thoughts!

karmazon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 12, 2012
Orange County, Ca
Last edited by a moderator:

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Boron Letters
  • 7-Steps To Freedom
I only read the first eight or so Gary Halbert Letters, right through the one where he wrote about this challenge. Those letters are amazing and I could easily see myself spending the next month just reading the rest of them but I know myself and I'll wind up using 'learning' as a form a procrastination for actually acting.

I'm thinking that by the end of the weekend I'll start copying out the letters. Maybe this has been said already, but has anyone gone through and actually set one of the letters they copied for publication? I was planning on trying to layout a couple of them in HTML to get an idea of what they would look like on a webpage.

manta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 13, 2014
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Boron Letters
  • 7-Steps To Freedom
PM for dropbox resources be appreciated!

evanwebb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 31, 2011
Austin, TX
I finished the main ads and, at the risk of being crucified, I have to ask - has anyone else found those ads really boring and tedious? The only one that stirred in me any desire to buy something was "the lazy man's way to riches." All others simply bored me, and definitely would not make me want to buy anything. I'm sure Mr. Halbert chose those ads because they made a lot of money, therefore there is a certain discrepancy in my mind.

That's because you are not the target market for the other ads. The ads are designed to pique the interest of someone who is already disposed to desire those things. It makes sense that "Lazy" would appeal to you--you are on this forum after all.

Think about it this way: every day you are exposed to countless marketing messages that you probably don't even notice. But once you are aware of a problem or need that you have, suddenly you start noticing the messages that appeal to that need.

When copying the ads, focus on the flow of language and the design of the sentence flow. Think about why a certain word or literary element was used and what is accomplished by each sentence.

karmazon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 12, 2012
Orange County, Ca
That's because you are not the target market for the other ads. The ads are designed to pique the interest of someone who is already disposed to desire those things. It makes sense that "Lazy" would appeal to you--you are on this forum after all.

Think about it this way: every day you are exposed to countless marketing messages that you probably don't even notice. But once you are aware of a problem or need that you have, suddenly you start noticing the messages that appeal to that need.

When copying the ads, focus on the flow of language and the design of the sentence flow. Think about why a certain word or literary element was used and what is accomplished by each sentence.

You make valid points. However, I've been copying some other classic ads, and despite not being the target audience for them, they've managed to create a desire or curiosity to know more. For example I recently went through one about some skin treatment for older women from a Hollywood make up artist. I'm a male and it still created a curiosity in me that would have probably led me to seek further information have I been the target prospect.

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
In the letter after Gary Halbert gave his thirty day challenge he wrote this:

Indeed, The First Hundred Million is a book that contains a precise and valid statistical measurement of America's inner most needs and greeds. So why didn't I mention it in last month's newsletter when I listed the greatest marketing books of all time? Simply because I didn't have a copy of it and I wasn't sure it was obtainable. Those others that are out-of-print are hard to find but, with a little effort, they are at least gettable. So anyway, what happens is a good friend and long-time client of mine, Brian Smith and his trusty helper Amy, found a copy of Haldeman-Julius' book and Xeroxed it for me!

If anyone is interested in adding this to their reading list it's available as a pdf here:
http://www.theonehourstartup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/FirstHundredMillion.pdf

I'm fairly certain that it's in the public domain because of its age.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Just bought every thing from amazon. I'm in on this one.

Last edited:

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Well I will accept the challenge!
I cant buy everything right now so I bought the first two books to start.

I just cant read ebooks they make me feel sleepy lol

Ryan9312

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 11, 2014
Serious Question: I'm almost through Breakthrough Advertising (my 4th book on the list), but I keep feeling a lot of mental fatigue after reading for a while, to the point where I feel like I'm getting very little comprehension. Should I just keep reading anyway and retain less material? If I take too many breaks, I feel like I'll never get the challenge finished. I'm planning on doing the entire challenge, by the way.

Also, if anyone has any tips for reducing mental fatigue and reading more efficiently, I would greatly appreciate it.

evanwebb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 31, 2011
Austin, TX
Serious Question: I'm almost through Breakthrough Advertising (my 4th book on the list), but I keep feeling a lot of mental fatigue after reading for a while, to the point where I feel like I'm getting very little comprehension. Should I just keep reading anyway and retain less material? If I take too many breaks, I feel like I'll never get the challenge finished. I'm planning on doing the entire challenge, by the way.

Also, if anyone has any tips for reducing mental fatigue and reading more efficiently, I would greatly appreciate it.

In Halbert's instructions he says to read through everything once, then go back through and reread every book and newsletter taking "hundreds of notes." The unavoidable fact of the matter is, acquiring a new skill takes both time and effort. To do everything he says in 30 days would, for all practical purposes, be at least a part-time job, maybe a full-time job.

You might try setting a timer, putting in earplugs, and reading for 30 minutes straight. Then walk around, get some water, or whatever for 5 minutes. Then repeat. It's kind of amazing what something as seemingly insignificant as earplugs and a timer can do for focus while reading or working.

nickR8

999999999 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 5, 2014
Austin, TX

I felt the same way. I have to say that looking back, some books are just a big blur. I'd say it's ok if you don't have full comprehension as the first read should give you an overview. When you reread everything, then you should be fully focused IMO.

To reduce mental fatigue: get more sleep, drink some coffee, stay hydrated, eat right, basic stuff... there's no magic pill ;) I find it also helps to rid yourself of all distractions so your brain doesn't have to multitask...

• Scientific Advertising
  • The Boron Letters
  • 7-Steps To Freedom
For some reason I have not been able to find 7-Steps To Freedom. I live in Germany so buying the physical copy from amazon is not an option. Anyone know where to find a digital copy? I heard there is a dropbox folder with resources... I would really appreciate it if someone could send me the link to it (if it includes "7-Steps To Freedom").

Ryan9312

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 11, 2014
Hello, I decided to join this challenge. I started yesterday Feb 5th.
I have read the Boron letters and will be moving on to Scientific Advertisement

Just finished Boron Letters. Going is slow, but will knock it all ou
I felt the same way. I have to say that looking back, some books are just a big blur. I'd say it's ok if you don't have full comprehension as the first read should give you an overview. When you reread everything, then you should be fully focused IMO.

To reduce mental fatigue: get more sleep, drink some coffee, stay hydrated, eat right, basic stuff... there's no magic pill ;) I find it also helps to rid yourself of all distractions so your brain doesn't have to multitask...

• Scientific Advertising
  • The Boron Letters
  • 7-Steps To Freedom
For some reason I have not been able to find 7-Steps To Freedom. I live in Germany so buying the physical copy from amazon is not an option. Anyone know where to find a digital copy? I heard there is a dropbox folder with resources... I would really appreciate it if someone could send me the link to it (if it includes "7-Steps To Freedom").

If you look through this thread, a couple of people have posted and said that they would add anyone who messaged them their e-mail to the dropbox. I got added by @Enki.

nickR8

999999999 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 5, 2014
Austin, TX
If you look through this thread, a couple of people have posted and said that they would add anyone who messaged them their e-mail to the dropbox. I got added by @Enki.
Yes, @Jimmyy kindly sent me a link. Now I can finish all of the books :)

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
Does anyone know of anyway to get a good e-version of Breakthrough Advertising?

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
I finished copying all the advertisements and reading most of the books. Tomorrow I'm going to turn one of the advertisements into a pseudo-landing page for practice. I'm right now about halfway through the 1994 edition of 7 Steps to Freedom, I think I've gotten most of the lessons out of the book for this challenge. I'm going to finish it slowly but I think I'm ready to make my second pass through the books with taking notes.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Guys I have been slow rolling on my second trip on this challenge. Yesterday while procrastinating, I wanted to know roughly how many pages of the halbert newsletters I had read because it took me so, so, long to finish them the first time.

I counted a total of 2215 pages, (depends on if I miscounted). All of it includes the pdf, the boron letters(not the 2.0 version), and, my printed off newsletters that I am sure some are duplicates but that would take too long to figure out.

Just wanted to pop in and let you know. :)

mohan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 9, 2014
Guys,

Gary also recommended just one book... instead... of all these 9 books. Which was written by his protege -- Scott "Mongo" Haines. It's called "Shortcut Copywriting Secrets".

Here's what Gary has to say about that (along with the sales letter for the book):
Code:
 http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/Newsletters/2005/09-23-05.htm

Scott haines has taken the best ideas from the above 9 books... tested them... and presented "what worked", in his book, in a very logical order.

I'm not saying that you all should stop reading those 9 books... and start... reading shortcut copywriting secrets.

But If you want to write copy as soon as possible... then... get shortcut copywriting secrets. It's a very nice summary of the best concepts from all those 9 books.

I'm in no way associated with that book or the author. I'm just another copywriting student.

Last edited:

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
In my opinion Scotts program takes even longer than Gary's. I think he has you doing the same thing we are doing here for a year , maybe 18 months. It really isnt necessary in my opinion, but, whatever.

mohan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 9, 2014
In my opinion Scotts program takes even longer than Gary's. I think he has you doing the same thing we are doing here for a year , maybe 18 months. It really isnt necessary in my opinion, but, whatever.

Scott's program might take you more time to complete... But I personally found it easy to read. I like his writing a lot -- I even typed the entire course in a word document, and planning to hand write it as well.

By the way, what if we all can share our notes with each other? I know... it sounds lazy but, it's much faster way for all us to get good at things.

I can share my notes from Scott's course. Just an idea.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
on my third book and some of the info is a bit hard to grasp but ill make a real update when I have made substantial progress!

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I am reading Gary's newsletter april 6 1989 and he said in passage,

You should not read any other books until you have read Scientific Advertising twice and preferably three or four times. In fact, David Olgivy feels so strongly about this book that he says no one should be allowed to create advertising until he has read this book at least seven times.

I cant disagree. And the reason you should read this book several times, before you read anything else is, it will give you a hard-core, bedrock foundation of truth that will make it difficult for "pretend experts" to lead you astray with "silly notions" about what makes marketing work.

I dont know what date he gave us the 30 day challenge, not that this quote is a contradiction. Just thought it might add a little fuel to the fire here. Keep those engines revved.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.