The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

A

Angus

I think you misunderstood, I will just stick to Gary's reccomendations + Ca$hvertising, it's not like if I spend one day reading Ca$hvertising I will lose focus, it's a great book and it's fast to read, after that I'll read The Lazy Man's Way To Riches and so on.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
Keep at it!
  • Scientific Advertising edit: this was a very dry read for some reason.
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Gary Halbert Letter
  • The Boron Letters
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches
  • Break-Through Advertising
  • 7-Steps To Freedom
Onward.

Last edited:

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
There are alot of great books on copy ,but, that isnt the point.

I would've created a thread on other books, but, I want the noobs, solely focused on this task. There are just too many distractions, and ,people start getting ideas, chasing butterflies, and, information overload starts to happen. Can we all just do this with 100% focus?
Don't take a bite of the apple people!:headbanger:

New rules: no more talk about any books outside of the books recommended. If you have other recommendations put them in another thread and let people find it themselves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Angus

There are alot of great books on copy ,but, that isnt the point.

I would've created a thread on other books, but, I want the noobs, solely focused on this task. There are just too many distractions, and ,people start getting ideas, chasing butterflies, and, information overload starts to happen. Can we all just do this with 100% focus?
Don't take a bite of the apple people!:headbanger:

New rules: no more talk about any books outside of the books recommended. If you have other recommendations put them in another thread and let people find it themselves.
Understand your point, sorry for the inconvenient. :embarrased:

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
What the heck, I'm in albeit behind all of you that have already started. I have a month's vacation coming up. While I'm working out my company formation, this should keep me occupied. I'll chime back in once I have all the materials on my phone, then start the clock.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
First of all thanks to Cleveland for his Dropbox folder and oldfool for creating this thread;
just started another book, Ca$hvertising, I know, it isn't on the list, but as people already said, it's a must read.
So much stuff to read now, can't wait for the writing part haha.

It is a must read. But the purpose of this group is mostly being accountable to a challenge (The challenge to become a copy master in 30 days). I personally am reading other books too, but I'm also simultaneously reading all the material that Gary recommended. I can't find anyone in the know who would dispute Gary as the world champ before he died. I think following his guidelines to the T will make you better than most, and then you can expand from there.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Schwab said:
the average human mind is a montage of hasty impressions, fuzzy generalities, bromidic wall-motto sentiments, self-justification, and sentimentalities. Yet since these areas are truly lacking in clear delineation, its important that the copy man try to chart them. By doing so he may be able to propel his copy appeals more accurately and effectively. Schwab | From Page 48 of How to write a good advertisement

This is still relevant today folks and neuroscience all but proves it.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
This is still relevant today folks and neuroscience all but proves it.
Not gonna lie...it was a bit saddening when I came to this realization as I was hand copying sales letters.

Copywriting exposes you to the jaded side of the human brain and helps you understand how twisted the majority really do think...eek

Selfish desires, need for instant gratification, wanting something for nothing...all of this and more is exposed when you learn copy.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Selfish desires, need for instant gratification, wanting something for nothing...all of this and more is exposed when you learn copy.

It's not really that bad when you consider that most of them nesceint and have no idea they are operating at this level of consciousness. the sad part is when you try to wake them up and they take it as an attack. This copy writing thing throws it in your face. It really is a shortcut to a great bit of enlightenment.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
The sad part is when you try to wake them up and they take it as an attack

I stopped trying to wake people up a while back. 99% of the time they think damn this ryan kid be 50 Shades of Cray Cray.

I'll help people who want to be helped. I can't raise the dead...my boy Jesus can though!

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I stopped trying to wake people up a while back. 99% of the time they think damn this ryan kid be 50 Shades of Cray Cray.

I'll help people who want to be helped. I can't raise the dead...my boy Jesus can though!

From my experience, that's the only way it works. Attempts at enlightening someone comfortable in their ignorance always ends with them feeling threatened or attacked.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
What the heck, I'm in albeit behind all of you that have already started. I have a month's vacation coming up. While I'm working out my company formation, this should keep me occupied. I'll chime back in once I have all the materials on my phone, then start the clock.

There are some who isnt doing going for the 30 day completion, so, you're not behind everyone.

Ardú

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jan 27, 2014
Not gonna lie...it was a bit saddening when I came to this realization as I was hand copying sales letters.

Copywriting exposes you to the jaded side of the human brain and helps you understand how twisted the majority really do think...eek

I guess that gives people who learn how to sell at least a chance to try and turn that towards something valuable.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
"Gary, I've got to learn how to write copy. I've never done it before ......

Can you help me?
So listen: Not only is it important what you do learn; it is equally important what you do not learn. So, step one is to read only the material I have listed."

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
I am all in. I needed something to focus on and it was going to be media production for my business, but I think it's smarter to master copy writing before media production and this is perfect. Dedication time. I will read through the rest of the thread soon

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
NOTE: When you buy TESTED ADVERTISING METHODS by John Caples buy the 4th edition

So I found this on amazon for $5. You want the fourth edition because it was the last one written completely by Caples, apparently the new fifth edition has many parts edited out or additions to the text.

Heres a link to the amazon page, it looks as though there are still a few available for $5. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0139069097/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

This page should be a direct link to all the fourth edition versions. You can see the white cover in the upper left hand corner, if thats not the book you get you can return it.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
So I found this on amazon for $5. You want the fourth edition because it was the last one written completely by Caples, apparently the new fifth edition has many parts edited out or additions to the text.

Heres a link to the amazon page, it looks as though there are still a few available for $5. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0139069097/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

This page should be a direct link to all the fourth edition versions. You can see the white cover in the upper left hand corner, if thats not the book you get you can return it.

Thanks for that sir...thats the book. Others better jump on it before it is gone! $5 wow!! I wish I paid $5 for mine, ah well someone(s) will be happy to scoop it up.

Probably will donate my 5th edition to the library now that we mentioned Caples. It's been sitting since I bought my 4th edition for quite some time.

Last edited:

Carny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 20, 2013
I'm on Chapter 3 of Scientific Advertising. Looks like there is going to be tons of great info, but I'm looking forward to something that doesn't read so much like a text book. It does help me wind down and go to sleep though!

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I'm on Chapter 3 of Scientific Advertising. Looks like there is going to be tons of great info, but I'm looking forward to something that doesn't read so much like a text book. It does help me wind down and go to sleep though!

well if you think scientific advertising reads like a textbook you aint read nothing yet,lol. I actually think that book is one of the easier reads(though, Lazy Man, 7 steps, halbert letters might be easier :) ).

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Speaking of 7 steps to freedom. I only recommended 1st edition because Gary never mentioned manual 2 even though it apparently came out in 95 according to amazon. I'll let you interpret that as you may. However, I see it has positive reviews on amazon.

You likely wont be able to find the 1st edition. Sorry.

Let me know what you think of manual 2 when you get to that one.

Carny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 20, 2013
well if you think scientific advertising reads like a textbook you aint read nothing yet,lol. I actually think that book is one of the easier reads(though, Lazy Man, 7 steps, halbert letters might be easier :) ).

In all fairness it was 2 am when I started reading, that could have had something to do with it :)

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I'm on chapter 6 of Scientific Advertising. I don't have a lot of time during the day to read, but this is quite an easy read and I feel like I'll be done in a day or two. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, learning some stuff too. It's hard not to take the notes first time through, though.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
This thread is gold.

I read half of the Boron Letters this morning, and then spent 10 minutes easily re-doing the banner copy on my landing page to be about 1000% more effective. Not bad for an hour of reading. Can't wait to see what I'm able to do after knocking out the whole checklist this month.

A

Angus

Wow, used the pomodoro technique (
) for the first time today.
If you are easily distracted while reading you must give it a try, it really works.

Started and finished The Lazy Man's Way to Riches today, great book, will start Breakthrogh Advertising tomorrow.

It's amazing how these books shift your mindset, I now start to see opportunities, you just have to give people what people want. Abundance mindset, that's the wealthy mindset.

By the way, here's the app: http://www.focusboosterapp.com/.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Started and finished The Lazy Man's Way to Riches today, great book, will start Breakthrogh Advertising tomorrow.

I dont know what the ponderosa technique and I dont have time to research it(lolz), but, wow you are a fast reader. I can see I am going to be falling behind, but, it really isnt a sprint as long as we get the lessons. I had a feeling some of you in here were speed readers :)

A

Angus

I dont know what the ponderosa technique and I dont have time to research it(lolz), but, wow you are a fast reader. I can see I am going to be falling behind, but, it really isnt a sprint as long as we get the lessons. I had a feeling some of you in here were speed readers :)
I'm not fast at all actually haha, plus the book was an easy read, I woke up at 5:00 A.M. and began reading, stopped and ran for an hour, ate, and kept reading.
The pomodoro technique is basically focusing on a task for 25 minutes, relaxing for 5 minutes, focusing for 25 minutes and so on, I felt concentrated for the entire day, everyone should give it a try.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I use a pomodoro timer as well. It's very useful, even if most of them end up interrupted due to the kids. I get a lot more done than I would otherwise!

I am on chapter 11 of Scientific Advertising. I'll finish it today, as well as a library book I need to return (not advertising related, don't worry @oldfool), and I'll start on The Robert Collier Letter Book tomorrow at the latest.

So. hard. not. to. take. notes.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
The pomodoro technique is basically focusing on a task for 25 minutes, relaxing for 5 minutes, focusing for 25 minutes and so on, I felt concentrated for the entire day, everyone should give it a try.

that actually does sound like a good idea. and i guess i can get through a 169 page book some days. i've been wrestling with collier i hope to be done by kickoff of the superbowl today.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.