The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

BobbyPenzero

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Nov 28, 2013
Right @oldfool. One thing at a time. One book. One sales letter. One expert copywriter.

I've been scared of one thing at a time for too long. Finally came back to my senses. Best feeling in the world.

Just finished The Boron Letters. (was halfway through before this challenge).

I think i'm beginning to understand this - this is, without a doubt, my most major problem.

Anyway, I'm definitely in too = Boron Letters first.

How many times does Halbert advise you write letters out? Once? Twice? Until you know it by rote?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
To learn copy

they at his website for free. can you give me further explanation?

I mean I would probably buy all the back newsletter issues in a book format like kevin halbert was selling them (not for sale now), but, I wouldn't buy just the boron letters alone. I dont really see the why they were recommended to buy. If you can further explain i'll listen :)

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Ok I might be gone for a while I gotta get on top of book two and when finished i'll check in.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Hey not to discourage anyone in on the challenge but I thought I would mention something to those who never read a copywriting book. If you never read a piece of copy you may want to wait to read the robert collier letter book(RCLB), until you have read a couple of other things that Gary recommend on the list. You might want to try after reading scientific advertising, how to write good advertisement, lazy mans way to riches or gary halbert newsletters,(maybe read all those before you read RCLB). I am reading robert collier and preface says the following:
This is not a textbook, calculated to show the beginner how to
take his pen or typewriter in hand and indite a masterly epistle to
some fancied customer.
It is for the business man who already knows the theory of letter
writing but is looking for more effective ways of putting it into
practice.
It covers all the necessary rules, of course, but it does this
informally. Primarily, it is the log book of a long and varied
experience.

Also, the book (I can tell after 24 pages) is going to need concentrated effort depending on how much you already know about copy. FYI: Although, I read this book before I completely forgot everything in it!
Disclaimer: I am just making suggestions. This suggestion is not needed to be taken as gospel as it is up to you to take me up on this advice. Other members here may have a different opinion on the order of which this should be read.
In my opinion, I dont think Gary intentionally gave the list to be read in chronological order, I am just doing it this way for my own peace of mind.

Alright now I gave you a public service announcement I better get back to work :)

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
651%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
FWIW, re: cashvertising that was mentioned earlier in the thread ...

While it's not on Gary Halbert's list, I recommend you read it. It's a "cult classic", and I guarantee you it WOULD have been on Gary's list had it not been written a year after Gary passed away. I doubt you could find a successful marketer or copywriter familiar with both who'd disagree.

Just my 2 cents.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
FWIW, re: cashvertising that was mentioned earlier in the thread ...

While it's not on Gary Halbert's list, I recommend you read it. It's a "cult classic", and I guarantee you it WOULD have been on Gary's list had it not been written a year after Gary passed away. I doubt you could find a successful marketer or copywriter familiar with both who'd disagree.

Just my 2 cents.

Yup. Ca$hvertising is the lattice work that you can hang all the Gary Halbert and other reading list knowledge on to.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
STICK TO THE SCRIPT

Stay focused noobs stay focused. :wideyed:

Quotation-Will-Rogers-success-temptation-Meetville-Quotes-43166.jpg

Update: I'm on page 88 of RCLB. What are you all reading?

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
I uploaded the stuff to https://mega.co.nz/ since they give 50 GB for free vs 2 GB free with Dropbox :eek: I'll PM you though, hold on. I have A LOT of files man, not just on copywriting too. The only things I have up on my MEGA account are the Gary Halbert files since I created it not long ago...more will come later though :happy:
STICK TO THE SCRIPT

Stay focused noobs stay focused. :wideyed:

Quotation-Will-Rogers-success-temptation-Meetville-Quotes-43166.jpg

Update: I'm on page 88 of RCLB. What are you all reading?

I'm about thirty pages behind you.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
Eyes on the prize guys n gals.
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Gary Halbert Letter
  • The Boron Letters
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches
  • Break-Through Advertising
  • 7-Steps To Freedom

K/P

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 30, 2014
ATL
Awesome to find this thread- I actually started doing this myself about 5 days ago, after finding the CopyHour website. I almost signed up for CopyHour, and then thought, "Hey, I can use free ads already on the net to do this myself for free." So I've been waking up at six in the morning to copy ads for one hour.

Right now I'm going through Eugene Schwartz's ads, and also reading his book "Breakthrough Advertising." The book is brilliant, he is an absolute master of the practice and the theory of copywriting. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the knowledge he drops is so profound that it's going to take multiple readings to fully absorb.

You may have this info on the DropBox folder, but here are the sites that I've been using for my Halbert-style mentorship:

http://www.infomarketingblog.com/

http://theryanmcgrath.com/2010/04/gary-halberts-favorite-ads/

Best of luck to you all in the journey!

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Just finished the Boron Letters. I started for the education in copy writing, but this is turning into a full fledged crash course in marketing.

definitely gives you the whole scope of marketing.

Update: Only made it to page 169 with RCLB... now going to listen to a motivational to put me to sleep.

Get up bright and early rinse and repeat. Probably wont give any more updates on where I am because this starting to sound like a journal thread,lol.

Keep up the work TUDOG's

Carny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 20, 2013
I'm in as well!

I just finished all the Boron letters. I'm glad I found this thread because I was about to buy the book on Amazon.

Carny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 20, 2013
When you get to the part of copying the ads, do you plan to do it by hand or type it? I don't know when that letter was written but it sounds like it was before the PC. Think it would make a difference?

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I'll write them by hand, but later in the process, I'll type it myself rather than getting a typist.

Can you even find typists anymore?

I'm pretty sure the point was just to have it written in its 'final' form... but if you interpreted it differently, please let me know.

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Gary Halbert Letter
  • The Boron Letters
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches (Book 2 is very fastlane)
  • Break-Through Advertising
  • 7-Steps To Freedom

Last edited:

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Done with scientific advertising. On to the next book! ;)

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Can you even find typists anymore?

If you hit google for your state and type in "yellow pages typist" I bet you can.

The purpose of the typist is to create the advert. Like you see in a magazine or direct mail pieces. The reason is simple.
People pay a heck of alot money to create direct mail and magazine adverts. They can ill afford to just slap something together cheaply like you see people do with websites,(because it is cheaper to do business on the internet).As I see it, If you can create an advert, or, direct mail piece then website creation should be a breeze. Companies pay millions for direct mail and advertising and as I see it the exercise will give you a leg up on those who think going that route is not necessary. Hey but this is just my opinion.

I hesitate to encourage others to do deviate the way Gary layed out just because you use internet technology as your primary medium of marketing,advertising, copywriting, and, communication.

However, If you cant financially afford do the advert/direct mail exercise then just play the hand you're dealt. Don't let obstacles stop you from participating.

P.S. Fiona I am also talking to everyone not just you :)

A

Angus

I'm in, I've already read Scientific Advertising some months ago, I'll finish Boron Letters today, will pick another book on the list tomorrow.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I mean I would probably buy all the back newsletter issues in a book format like kevin halbert was selling them (not for sale now), but, I wouldn't buy just the boron letters alone. I dont really see the why they were recommended to buy. If you can further explain i'll listen

They were just recommended to read.

I chose to buy, because I like the tangibility of a paperback. The ability to highlight and take notes in the margins. Easily flip back to previous sections and cross-reference. Having it sit on a bookshelf after completed... a constant reminder of something I have learned, and a visible invitation to pull it back out and go through it again. Call me old school, but I don't like reading things from a screen unless I have to... I.e. threads in this forum.

A book in my To Read pile on my nightstand is much harder for me to ignore, than another bookmarked webpage lost in a folder on Chrome.

Last edited:

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
They were just recommended to read.

I chose to buy, because I like the tangibility of a paperback. The ability to highlight and take notes in the margins. Easily flip back to previous sections and cross-reference. Having it sit on a bookshelf after completed... a constant reminder of something I have learned, and a visible invitation to pull it back out and go through it again. Call me old school, but I don't like reading things from a screen unless I have to... I.e. threads in this forum.

A book in my To Read pile on my nightstand is much harder for me to ignore, than another bookmarked webpage lost in a folder on Chrome.

Nothing wrong with being old school. Thats what this thread is about! Props to you. Transferred some funds to ya :)

A

Angus

First of all thanks to Cleveland for his Dropbox folder and oldfool for creating this thread;
just started another book, Ca$hvertising, I know, it isn't on the list, but as people already said, it's a must read.
So much stuff to read now, can't wait for the writing part haha.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
just started another book, Ca$hvertising, I know, it isn't on the list, but as people already said, it's a must read.
So much stuff to read now, can't wait for the writing part haha.

Have you read all of halberts books?
I'm am trying to keep yall focused. I could name a load of shot to read. I have this thread militant for a reason!!!!!! There is a method to my madness here.
I am not telling yall nothing that I either am not doing or wouldn't do myself.
jiFfM.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.